Anyone else stopped watching?

BaseFishing

It's simple really. If you don't bother watching and support us now when we are at our worst then you damn sure don't deserve to watch and support us if we ever get back to our best.
I'm not sure that makes as much sense as you think it does.

Football is, above all else, entertainment. It might be more for you, and that's totally fine, but for many it's just that.

Just like with a TV series, sometimes you might love watching it and get really attached, but then around Season 4 the writing starts to be really bad and you fall off and stop watching. Maybe, after a couple of years, Season 7 is about to come out and it looks awesome again and you decide to watch again.

Would it then make sense for someone who watched the show all along to tell you "Nope. You don't deserve to watch Season 7, cause when the show sucked in Season 4 you didn't watch. The show even almost got cancelled cause of people like you who gave up on it during Season 4! You're not a real fan of the show! Etc. Etc. Etc."

There's nothing wrong with people choosing to spend their time doing other stuff than watching every single United game, especially when we're this lifeless as a club. And there's nothing about "deserving" to be a fan in the rulebook.

Anyone can support any team at any point - that's the beauty of it. Don't try to make football so tribal.

Reactions: SteveJ

Zahed

As a Primary School teacher, all I hear is Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool. For the next generation of football supporters Man Utd are becoming irrelevant. I've even heard them calling each other Lukaku when they mess up!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

EverReddy

It's at least 5 hours in each direction for me to get to and from OT. Must admit it feels like more of a slog when the football that is served up is so lacklustre. I still do it, but it feels so much more of an effort, whereas in previous years it had felt like a joy and privilege.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's simple really. If you don't bother watching and support us now when we are at our worst then you damn sure don't deserve to watch and support us if we ever get back to our best.
Not sure if you're just taking the rip, but if it becomes a waste of time it's not worth it. United doesn't owe us trophies, although it should be expected with a club of our stature, but it does owe us something in return for our time and money.

ForestRGoinUp

Extremely immature opinion. By not watching we send a message to the board that they aren’t doing well enough.

Reactions: golden_blunder

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I still watch every match. I usually watch one other match, though, if I have the time. Those matches usually include Barca, Liverpool, PSG, Man City or Tottenham playing another good team (e.g. Chelsea vs Man City last week). If I only watch United I find myself losing my enthusiasm for football. Another good match here and there involving other teams reminds me the game can be beautiful.

I'm looking forward to the match tomorrow vs Liverpool because I know I'll get to see at least one good football team.

GiddyUp

I will always support the club, I will always watch and I will always celebrate a goal. But, it's fecking torture watching this team take an extra 15 touches and 10 seconds longer to move the ball forward 15 yards before it inevitably gets passed backwards 20 yards.
I did watch the 2nd half against Valencia on fast forward after idiot Jones and I felt no shame. I was happy it was over quickly.
We just need to be honest with ourselves, there is no silver lining. Woodward is a disaster on the football side, Mourinho is battling his demons to the detriment of the club and the majority of our squad are stealing a living.
To support a club it must be through the good times and the bad times but sport is entertainment and our club is considered a billboard. It's ok to be disillusioned and if you have more pressing matters or prefer to have spend some time with friends and family that's alright. Supporting a football club is different to many people, some don't need to be obsessed to the point of screaming profanities at a 24 year old millionaire kicking a ball.
Quick point on liverpool getting all high and mighty. All through those years I was told that liverpool had the greatest players in their position even though their average league finish was 7/8. That is a level of delusion I've not seen in our support, of course there is some idiot that considers Antonio Valencia one of the best wing backs in the world (Mourinho) but we all seem to agree on one thing, we've been absolutely shit since '14. Let people support their club in their own way

RedRoach

As others have mentioned football is fundamentally a form of entertainment and over the last few years United have not delivered in that front.

I don’t believe it is about winning or results. For example Tottenham are far more than entertaining to watch and they haven’t won shit. There are even lesser sides that are more entertaining than the dross United display week in week out.

I don’t think a single fan should feel shame skipping a game when so little entertainment is on offer. The side can win or lose but fundamentally they have to excite and get the pulse raising.

This is why for me Mourinho is not a good fit for us. He is a win at all costs no matter how ugly we play or how many flair players he compromises or drains of confidence.

vanderpants

I stopped attending OT when Moyes left and since then season by season I've stopped watching them on TV. Also, I use to get that nice little feeling the day before we played and now that has gone too. I'm not the only one, I know a few lads that have done the same, I also know some lads with season tickets that struggle to sell the games they cant attend and end up either giving them away for free or just letting the seat go empty. I couldn't bear to waste a few hours of my life watching this shower of shite

GiddyUp

Extremely immature opinion. By not watching we send a message to the board that they aren’t doing well enough.
Also, who the feck is anyone to tell someone that they don't deserve to watch football. People can do whatever the feck they want. Clubs don't give a shit about fans and neither do players. It's like saying I don't deserve to watch anymore Tom Cruise moves because I said MI3 was shite. No supporter has a right to tell another supporter how they should follow their team.

GiddyUp

I stopped attending OT when Moyes left and since then season by season I've stopped watching them on TV. Also, I use to get that nice little feeling the day before we played and now that has gone too. I'm not the only one, I know a few lads that have done the same, I also know some lads with season tickets that struggle to sell the games they cant attend and end up either giving them away for free or just letting the seat go empty. I couldn't bear to waste a few hours of my life watching this shower of shite
This is the reality of the situation right now but some people demand blind loyalty regardless. We will definitely get through this but our CEO needs to come to the realization that Facebook friends and likes mean feck all when a £75 million player can't control a pass and a £90million player brings his hairdresser on squad business. Unfortunately our immediate future will be a manager every 2 years and Alex Ferguson's league cup back 4 getting one year extensions in to their late 30's.

djembatheking

I still struggle to believe that so many are not bothering watching tomorrow . I know they are in much better form and we are a shambles but what if we beat them ? Could be totally outplayed for 90 mins and end up winning with a jammy goal off Lukakus arse while he is stood in an offside position in the 96th min of 3 mins added time .

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Exactly, the board will keep on going as long as the zombie football lovers keep going to the stadium
Yeah as if giving up my ticket won't stop a day tripper coming in and taking my place.

I'm baffled by the reaction to my post to be honest but I'm not exactly surprised. I remember things like o'shea scoring the winner at anfield and the pure joy and passion on display and think how do people consider this just 'entertainment'

It's indicative of the modern day, fair weather football fan. Imagine a United fan choosing not watch tomorrow. I personally can't get my head around it but I guess that's my hang up.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah as if giving up my ticket won't stop a day tripper coming in and taking my place.

I'm baffled by the reaction to my post to be honest but I'm not exactly surprised. I remember things like o'shea scoring the winner at anfield and the pure joy and passion on display and think how do people consider this just 'entertainment'

It's indicative of the modern day, fair weather football fan. Imagine a United fan choosing not watch tomorrow. I personally can't get my head around it but I guess that's my hang up.
They’re not going to get 70k+ day trippers if the regulars stopped going in protest for a couple of weeks

But look, I’m not going to moan at people for going when they’ve shelled out good money

But by the same token, match goers having a go at others is a bit condescending

Everyone is different

Edit: we all love last minute winners, particularly against Liverpool! I’m not sure though that we will see that passion and commitment from this group of players. We certainly haven’t seen much of it this season

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I still watch but the way I watch has changed. I gave my season ticket up years ago but that was for financial reasons. In the seasons that followed I just went to the odd game when I had chance. I don’t do that anymore. So the only way I watch them now is on the box. I had all the sports packages and watched every game. But these have gone now, I just have basic sky sports. So after I got rid of them I’d find out where the match was being shown and made an effort to go and watch it. Even found a place that showed Saturday 3pm kick offs that was absolutely miles away. I don’t do any of that anymore. So unless it’s on sky sports now I don’t watch it and I certainly don’t plan my life around it anymore.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Still watching.

If I wasn't I wouldn't be here to tell anyone otherwise. I really don't get not watching United but coming on a United forum - what can there be to say?

Watching would logically be the last thing to give up to me after giving up everything surrounding it like forums, newspaper articles, websites, football social media etc. I suppose everyone's different but I don't really understand going to a discussion forum about a thing when you're not even paying attention to that thing.

Cloud7

Also, who the feck is anyone to tell someone that they don't deserve to watch football. People can do whatever the feck they want. Clubs don't give a shit about fans and neither do players. It's like saying I don't deserve to watch anymore Tom Cruise moves because I said MI3 was shite. No supporter has a right to tell another supporter how they should follow their team.
Keep talking the truth mate :D

The Real Treble 99

Some of the so called “die hard reds” claiming you HAVE to watch Utd through thick & thin are not actually paying attention to the posts written. I Can guarantee most of us will be watching pool v Utd & any other games regardless & most of us would still watch Utd if we played entertaining football or even if we wouldn’t win silverware.
The fact is our football is shite, dull, with no passion from players but I still try hard to get myself to watch Utd. This doesn’t make me a superior supporter than anyone who doesn’t. This is what the so called “die hards” want to label other supporters as “glory hunters” but won’t say it.
Regardless if you watch on telly or just go to home games or both or all, doesn’t make you superior than anyone else. This claimant that YOU HAVE to watch Utd all the time or else your not a fan is total rubbish. Watch the fan cams on YouTube & you’ll find out the mood of most Utd supporters.
Nobody is turning away we’re just not getting any excitement or the buzz from watching Utd anymore.
I myself am still watching but boy it’s becoming really hard & hard but I can guarantee one thing all of us are true reds & United through & through.

Reactions: SteveJ

Smores

Nothing wrong with fans missing a game, if you're choosing not to watch tomorrow though then being a fan goes out of the window.

I don't get the consumer angle, if you consider yourself just a consumer then why bother claiming to support anyone? Just watch whoever the best football teams are at that time.

I do wonder how many here would actually watch if we went through a prolonged period of middle table/lower table finishes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Football for me isn’t the be all and end all it used to be, I’m sure as people age that a lot of them feel the same. Tomorrow I have the option to be frustrated and in a mood watching us play or I can spend time with my son and stepson seeing Santa. The latter is way more appealing and I’d choose it every time.

If we win by a last minute winner and I missed it.. so what? There’s way better ways to spend the day than watching your team play on a dodgy stream to show ‘support’.

hn4manunited

Actually, that is IMO the most mature opinion. If you claim to be a supporter of Manchester United, you support the club through ups and downs.

If you claim that it is all entertainment and the club has to provide entertainment for you to support and watch, you should just call yourselves the entertainment seekers and watch whoever is at the top of their game.

There is no reason to support the club if you only support the club when they are flourishing. You are simply just associating yourself with the club because you want to be able to feel good and brag about how well your club is doing. Just associate yourself with whoever is doing well and playing well.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Some of the so called “die hard reds” claiming you HAVE to watch Utd through thick & thin are not actually paying attention to the posts written. I Can guarantee most of us will be watching pool v Utd & any other games regardless & most of us would still watch Utd if we played entertaining football or even if we wouldn’t win silverware.
The fact is our football is shite, dull, with no passion from players but I still try hard to get myself to watch Utd. This doesn’t make me a superior supporter than anyone who doesn’t. This is what the so called “die hards” want to label other supporters as “glory hunters” but won’t say it.
Regardless if you watch on telly or just go to home games or both or all, doesn’t make you superior than anyone else. This claimant that YOU HAVE to watch Utd all the time or else your not a fan is total rubbish. Watch the fan cams on YouTube & you’ll find out the mood of most Utd supporters.
Nobody is turning away we’re just not getting any excitement or the buzz from watching Utd anymore.
I myself am still watching but boy it’s becoming really hard & hard but I can guarantee one thing all of us are true reds & United through & through.
OP is literally doing just that and other people as well commenting on the thread. This thread is essentially about fair-weather fans.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Actually, that is IMO the most mature opinion. If you claim to be a supporter of Manchester United, you support the club through ups and downs.

If you claim that it is all entertainment and the club has to provide entertainment for you to support and watch, you should just call yourselves the entertainment seekers and watch whoever is at the top of their game.

There is no reason to support the club if you only support the club when they are flourishing. You are simply just associating yourself with the club because you want to be able to feel good and brag about how well your club is doing. Just associate yourself with whoever is doing well and playing well.
This.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I knew the Fairweather stuff was going to come in soon , we are now basically Liverpool from the last 2 decades on & off the pitch

Andersons Dietician

Sounds awful glory hunter-ish and people that believe that enjoyment is only achieved by watching teams on “top of their game” or just winning don’t understand what people are trying to say. People can enjoy watching a league 2 side struggiling in mid table, I enjoy watching Aberdeen and have done for years despite their struggles but this current United team led by Jose just sucks the joy out of everything, I enjoyed watching under LVG and Moyes as they were trying to do something, we aren’t anymore and this is why people who have busy lives would rather use the time to do something else.

hobbers

I've certainly stopped watching live by any legal methods, except motd.

Am I feck paying for sky sports/bt or a nowtv pass to watch that tripe.

Fully Fledged

I watch them every time they are on the telly. I travelled all over the midlands during the late 70's early 80's when we weren't winning so why would I stop watching them on tv now?

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I understand many who say we should watch whether they win or lose, but part of that mentality is be used against us. The Glazer family knows they have a devout audience. Why would they do more than the bare minimum if we'll show up and pay through the nose no matter what? They view the club as a business first and foremost.

BaseFishing

As a Primary School teacher, all I hear is Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool. For the next generation of football supporters Man Utd are becoming irrelevant. I've even heard them calling each other Lukaku when they mess up!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
:lol:

You're right, in a way it's kind of sad and alarming - kids catch on quick, and if we don't get our sh*t together for a longer period, say a few years, this will have very bad consequences down the road. Even in a commercial sense - it's something Woodward and the Glazers should be worried about.

AC Milan aren't getting bigger and better sponsorship deals in the last 7 years, and the next generation of Italian kids aren't buying Borini shirts. Success, in any area of life, is fleeting and should never be taken for granted. Especially in a competitive sport.

Hopefully we don't go down that route though. But this very issue being discussed in this thread just goes to show that, while style of play may not be the most important thing, it certainly is up there. And the fate of a club, the club's following, the club's finances, the club's stature, all of it... starts on the pitch.

As a club we've clearly forgotten this, but men like Fergie and Busby knew it very well. They both often talked to the players about how important it is to entertain!! the very people who made the club what it is - the working class Mancunians who would come out every weekend with their families and who wanted to see something exciting: skillful players bombing down the wings, attacking football, plenty of goals.

It's no coincidence that this very way of looking at football (the way that Fergie and Busby understood) is exactly what made United the most supported club in the world during the last few decades. No coincidence at all.

There's more successful clubs around the world. There's more successful clubs in Europe. Up until fairly recently there was even a more successful club in England. But that's not what captured the imagination of millions of kids around the world, who grew up to watch every single minute of United playing ever since the team was televised.

And yet, the club has forgotten this.

Now, as you say, kids talk about City, Chelsea, Liverpool. And we here in this thread (with frustration) talk about the fact it's become tedious to watch our team play. So yeah, it's funny that they call each other Lukaku. But, like you said, it's also sad. And the deeper you look at it, the more it gets just sad and not that funny.

I really hope our club wakes the f*** up soon.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Fair enough if people decide not to watch the odd game, especially if they have other important things that they can do. If they have other important things to do and if it is a big effort to give that up so you can watch the game then fair enough.

But anyone who decides to miss the game tomorrow for anything but a family emergency, is not really a Man United supporter in my opinion. No way can you be a true supporter if you are choosing to miss the derby against the dippers. It is just absurd, but thats just me.

RedRoach

Sorry but this is bollocks and once again links entertainment with success. I absolutely do not expect United to win every season, but they absolutely have to entertain. That is the DNA of the club.

The fact that watching United is painful and boring doesn’t change my support for them but it certainly doesn’t oblige me to waste my time whilst they dish out another round of dross.

There are lesser teams like Watford and Bournemouth who are more entertaining to watch just because of the ambition to attack is there. I honest prefer to lose games than sit there whilst another dull draw with 1 shot on target plays out in front of me.

United have achieved the success they have had due to this DNA and philosophy which created the pool of fans they have and the resulting revenue that that generates. The hard core fans who have the attitude that we should stick with the team and manager regardless of the nonsense on show are the ones doing the real damage.

There should be revolt at Old Trafford and fans should stick their necks out to oppose mediocrity

Alex1982

I’ll be watching today’s game with my partner and her son, both Liverpool fans.

Can’t say I’m overly looking forward to it...

"Matt Busby always said to me, 'All those lads you see going to the factories in Trafford Park, they come to watch you on a Saturday. They have boring jobs, so you have to give them something a bit special, something they will enjoy.'"

AndyJ1985

It's football for feck sake. People can stop and start watching it as and when they please.