Music Apple Music

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Deserves it's own thread.

How is everyone finding it so far? Really enjoying the curated playlists and Beats 1 so far myself.

Discovered loads of new stuff already which is cool.

Discuss...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Said this in a previous thread, but frankly I love it.

Beats 1 is lovely - Currently playing Arctic Monkeys.

The For You, curated part is perfect. Honestly those curated things are usually always useless but the playlists have been spot on. The recommended artists are amongst my favourite and it all integrates nicely with the music on my phone.

I wonder though - I usually buy the occasional album here and there quite regularly but with Apple Music I very much doubt i'll buy albums except really good ones.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Is the trial for 3 months? Going to download it later

Unlikely lad

Don't see what the fuss is to be honest. Can't find any reason to switch from Spotify.

Cina

I can't imagine anything being better than Google Play. It's perfect.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Liking it so far, especially enjoying Zane Low's show on Beats1. His taste matches mine when it comes to alt / rock (hip hop and R&B not so much).

One annoying thing is that a lot of the new stuff he has been playing that I quite liked isn't actually available in Apple Music. I've created a playlist where I dump everything I like from Beats1 to remember for later, but a lot of the new music he features simply isn't available in Apple Music, so I can't add it to my library.

Other than that, the curated "For You" tab is very, very good. Better than any automated music curation service (including Last.fm) that I've used in the past. And the library function (My Music) alone is enough for me to ditch Spotify, even though I've been a paying member since they launched Premium back in the day. Their library function is absolutely terrible, and it's annoyed me to no end for years that I've had to rely on folders and playlists to create a halfway decent three tiered library (Artist -> Album -> Songs). I originally started to catalogue my digital music with iTunes, so I'm glad to finally be able to return to Apple who knows how to create a decent library function.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I can't imagine anything being better than Google Play. It's perfect.
Yeah I'd be surprised if it was, gonna try it when it's out on Android anyway. Do you have all play?

JmRssll555

I'm still not entirely sure how it works entirely, although I've only used it for a few hours. I understand that I can stream songs, but is it possible to take them offline? Also, can I create my own playlists of streamed songs? I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not convinced about paying for it yet.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
So far I like it. As people have said, generally the recommendation features seem to provide a pretty good approximation of my tastes.

Castia

Enjoying it so far, needs to be available on consoles though.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I'm still not entirely sure how it works entirely, although I've only used it for a few hours. I understand that I can stream songs, but is it possible to take them offline? Also, can I create my own playlists of streamed songs? I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not convinced about paying for it yet.
You can save everything in "Your Music" for offline listening. Just use the "..." to expand the menu in any view. If you're in the library overview, you can do it per artist. If you want to do it per album, or even per song, you can just navigate to album or song and do the same there.

Not sure what you mean playlist of streamed songs? The whole idea is that you just have access to all the music, and it doesn't matter if it is bought or just available in "the cloud". You can add any and all songs in the entire catalogue to any playlist, as long as you have access to the streaming service. You can think of it as being two separate "libraries":

- ALL music in the entire Apple system. Generally you use the "For you" tab or the search to find music from this section.
- Your music. You can add any music to your library, be it a song, album or an artist's entire catalogue.

You can also songs directly to a playlist when listening to for instance Beats1 radio. Just use the "..." when it is playing to bring up the menu, and select add to playlist.

Can't find the app in the app store. Is it launched in Ireland yet?
Just update to iOS 8.4, and it's all in the native Music app.

Edit: I see you got it before I posted!

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I'm guessing it sucked down all that data from your iTunes? Which gives it a massive headstart on any other streaming app you might use.
I'm wondering about that myself. It seems too tailored to just rely on those few choices of genres and artists I made when setting it up, so I suspect they may be using historical iTunes listening data as well. But I'd be impressed if they still had my old listening habits, because I've hardly used iTunes since Spotify was launched. Not to mention that my old library was wiped out a couple of years back, and it consisted mostly of "non-purchased-in-iTunes" files :)

JmRssll555

You can save everything in "Your Music" for offline listening. Just use the "..." to expand the menu in any view. If you're in the library overview, you can do it per artist. If you want to do it per album, or even per song, you can just navigate to album or song and do the same there.

Not sure what you mean playlist of streamed songs? The whole idea is that you just have access to all the music, and it doesn't matter if it is bought or just available in "the cloud". You can add any and all songs in the entire catalogue to any playlist, as long as you have access to the streaming service. You can think of it as being two separate "libraries":

- ALL music in the entire Apple system. Generally you use the "For you" tab or the search to find music from this section.
- Your music. You can add any music to your library, be it a song, album or an artist's entire catalogue.

You can also songs directly to a playlist when listening to for instance Beats1 radio. Just use the "..." when it is playing to bring up the menu, and select add to playlist.

Just update to iOS 8.4, and it's all in the native Music app.

Edit: I see you got it before I posted!
So would I be able to take an album from Apple Music, save it to offline listening mode, which will essentially add it to my own music collection and then sync that album on to my iPod Classic, which doesn't have the Apple Music app, for example?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm wondering about that myself. It seems too tailored to just rely on those few choices of genres and artists I made when setting it up, so I suspect they may be using historical iTunes listening data as well. But I'd be impressed if they still had my old listening habits, because I've hardly used iTunes since Spotify was launched. Not to mention that my old library was wiped out a couple of years back, and it consisted mostly of "non-purchased-in-iTunes" files :)
Yeah, it had some really good recommendations for me off the bat and it took me a while to discover how to set it up with preferred artists/genres. Plus that involved picking from a really restricted list. Which was odd.

Mind you, Beats 1 has been right in my personal sweet spot so far. Even though I've only heard of one or two of the artists before. So it might be that I'm easily pleased!

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
So would I be able to take an album from Apple Music, save it to offline listening mode, which will essentially add it to my own music collection and then sync that album on to my iPod Classic, which doesn't have the Apple Music app, for example?
The bolded part I don't know for certain, but my hunch is that you won't be able to bring over any non-purchased music to an iPod Classic. Don't take my word for it, but I believe access to cloud music (and saving them for offline listening) is limited to devices with direct access to the Music service.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Yeah, it had some really good recommendations for me off the bat and it took me a while to discover how to set it up with preferred artists/genres. Plus that involved picking from a really restricted list. Which was odd.

Mind you, Beats 1 has been right in my personal sweet spot so far. Even though I've only heard of one or two of the artists before. So it might be that I'm easily pleased!
Exactly the same for me, other than the fact that I found Beats 1 a bit too heavy on the hip hop after three to four hours of listening time. Everything else has been very pleasing to my ears!

I also find it ridiculous that such a hip hop heavy, aiming-to-be-the-tastemaker channel finds it necessary to censor out explicit language. A couple of the songs have half the lyrics redacted.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I get impression us Ipod classic people are quickly being left behind. :(

Zen

Well they discounted it last year......and hadn't actually made an physical update on it in years, so it wasn't exactly quick, they've given plenty warning.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I can't access it on iTunes, so annoying

Edit - Ios 8.4 has killed my iPhone, keeps restarting and screen turns green!

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Been using it and I think it's not that good. I don't have spotify on mobile but I used the free trial once and it was far better than this. Much easier to use.

I wish it had a dark mode because its too bright to use in bed. I can't even invert colours like I do on redcafe because all the artists have different backgrounds so it doesn't work unless you keep changing.

The MacBook version should probably be on a seperate application than iTunes which is a pile of shit. It's pretty confusing and horrible to use on iTunes. But then again everything is confusing with iTunes. Considering how late this came out compared to spotify it's a poor job

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Apple are bastards and I refuse to buy anything else from them.
They have disabled use of youtube on my old iPad to try to force me to buy another one.

Some artists are not too happy with Apple for giving free downloads of their stuff. Taylor Swift has blocked them.

binary bot
Loving it so far. Haven't tried Tidal but this is already better than Spotify for finding new music, always found myself just playing the same songs/playlists on spotify. The three month trial is very smart from Apple, it'll hook loads of people in from free spotify.

The layout is confusing but hopefully ill get used to it.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Apple are bastards and I refuse to buy anything else from them.
They have disabled use of youtube on my old iPad to try to force me to buy another one.

Some artists are not too happy with Apple for giving free downloads of their stuff. Taylor Swift has blocked them.
Really?

YouTube works fine on my first generation iPad.

Also Taylor Swift wrote an open letter to apple about their policies (apple weren't going to pay artists for music downloaded during the free 3 month trial). Within a day, apple changed their policy - so Taylor Swift has not, in fact, blocked them.

http://time.com/3940500/apple-music-taylor-swift-release/

Last edited:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Really?

Also Taylow Swift wrote an open letter to apple about their policies (apple weren't going to pay artists for music downloaded during the free 3 month trial). Within a day, apple changed their policy - so Taylor Swift has not, in fact, blocked them.

Music is, in fact, the only streaming service to feature Swift's 1989 album. That said, they pay a relative pittance per play, to the artists / labels, just as every other streaming service, and that is the only way to do it.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Really?

Also Taylor Swift wrote an open letter to apple about their policies (apple weren't going to pay artists for music downloaded during the free 3 month trial). Within a day, apple changed their policy - so Taylor Swift has not, in fact, blocked them.

I see. The news in Japan is out of date.

My iPad says cannot connect and someone told me I need better than ios 5.1.1.
EDIT - Just checked and there may be a way to get it working.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I see. The news in Japan is out of date.

My iPad says cannot connect and someone told me I need better than ios 5.1.1.
EDIT - Just checked and there may be a way to get it working.
There are a load of games that the first gen iPad cannot play - which is fair enough given that it is getting on a bit!

But YouTube should be fine. Mine is just used by the kids for YouTube or movies when travelling.

JackXX

Yea I really like it. Haven't subscribed to a streaming service before but probably will with this.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
There are a load of games that the first gen iPad cannot play - which is fair enough given that it is getting on a bit!

But YouTube should be fine. Mine is just used by the kids for YouTube or movies when travelling.
Yes. Candy Crush doesn't work. (thank feck).
Maybe I need to back it up. I haven't done that for months.

ashy7

Been quite impressed with it so far. Main thing for me will be what the Sonos integration is like when they release it on that. Spotify has been pretty rubbish on it and not updated for a while, so if it's an improvement I'll switch from Spotify.

Main downside I can see is that the quality of the streams aren't as high as some of the other streaming services.