Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamAdams

I would have waited till the end of the season to appoint him but why would we sack him without giving him a single transfer window? Let's see who he manages to move on and bring in, then we can judge him. Unless we're looking like getting relegated, lets back him all the way. At least we know he genuinely cares about the club.

edgar allan

I'm not even talking about Ole, God bless him. I'm on about the entire club. I don't even know where the solutions to our problems begin.
There may be trouble ahead but at least Jose is gone and for that I am very grateful.

Acole9

Outstanding
We could've waited until the end of the season, there was no harm in doing that at all. People just got giddy after the start he made and that win against PSG.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I would have waited till the end of the season to appoint him but why would we sack him without giving him a single transfer window? Let's see who he manages to move on and bring in, then we can judge him. Unless we're looking like getting relegated, lets back him all the way. At least we know he genuinely cares about the club.
We will fail again in the transfer market because copying SAF's speeches doesn't give you a good eye in the market. However, Woodward seems to think that Ole at the wheel is enough to turn around 6 years of flops in the transfer market. Nothing has changed, we are hoping that our new manager is going to be the messiah.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We are destined for mediocrity. I've come to terms with it. Much easier that way.
True.

There's no point getting worked up about it

The club hierarchy couldn't be bothered while other elite clubs leave us behind. I'll still support us but my expectations for a good season are top 4 and maybe a trophy or two (FA cup or League Cup). A deep run in the UCL like Quarters or Semis is also nice.

superdry

touched by a genius
I've got a feeling the new management will steer us to our next newest low point.

Reddy Rederson

It is all good though painting a whole squad of players as 'cnuts' just to defend a man that couldn't do his job properly anymore. Solskjaer being up to the task remains to be seen, though I'm not exactly convinced by what I've seen so far.
Yeah right. Ole and Jose are telling them all to play the same way. It’s definitely not the players are the issue :rolleyes:

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I was just remembering when Fergie had a massive go at Johnny Evans. I wonder whether modern day players can be managed like that? I also hope Solskjaer has it in him.

Mcking

Keep Ashley young on the training ground, night and day till Christmas and he still won't be able to cross a ball. That's just the sad reality of where we are, our transfer dealings have been abysmal for nearly a decade now.
Coach Rashford, Martial and Lukaku on the training ground though and they'd probably have an idea on the kind of runs to make when their teammates have the ball. You could also coach everyone to be able to move, pass the ball, defend, attack effectively and efficiently as a team.

edgar allan

Coach Rashford, Martial and Lukaku on the training ground though and they'd probably have an idea on the kind of runs to make when their teammates have the ball. You could also coach everyone to be able to move, pass the ball, defend, attack effectively and efficiently as a team.
You can't however coach the desire to want to make the runs though, Rashford has that, sadly Martial hasn't.

Cheesesandwich

I think the most baffling thing is, how can players perform so well when a new manager comes in, and everybody shouts ‘it’s Mourinho’s fault, the players just needed playing the right way’
To a ten or so games later, everyone shouting ‘it’s the players fault, they are all crap and Ole’s out of his depth’.
There isn’t a hope in hell, that they’ll be widespread changes in the summer, hopefully 3 or 4 out and the same in, whilst playing a couple from the youth team.

I still hope Ole can pull it off, and he has to be given a transfer window at least. It’s not nice working and living in Manchester with non-stop jibes and comments. Even fellow reds can’t agree on the course of action, but I don’t agree with the doom merchants saying we will have 20 years in the wilderness, we are still a very big club with worldwide support and funds for the right players, but making sure they are the right ones and not throwing money at ‘stars’ just because we can.

So I support Ole and hopefully a win tomorrow and fingers crossed for 4th, as it might make bringing in the right players just that little bit easier.

Mcking

You can't however coach the desire to want to make the runs though, Rashford has that, sadly Martial hasn't.
It is not just about desire, it is about having a clue what to do. Martial also isn't the only one that has issues with movement. The whole team has the same problem.

Loon

:lol:
Sad times indeed. This club is a mess

Im not sure what you mean, because it seems Fergie is in his ear constantly. Fergie's been invited to Carrington a few times, united are seemingly going back to the transfer policy we had in the Fergie era and Solsjaer is even dressed like a Fergie clone, red tie and all.
Well, let’s not jump the gun about the transfer policy, but the need and requirement to rebuild is more what I meant. Ferguson built a number of sides and I hope Solskjær actually talks to him about the specific ins and outs needed. I’m thinking of when Ferguson spent a summer praising Kante as the best player in the league, yet he was allowed to go to Chelsea.

Kammy26

We could've waited until the end of the season, there was no harm in doing that at all. People just got giddy after the start he made and that win against PSG.
I agree with this. I think the PSG result was a fluke 9/10 we lose that game, especially how we played.

Tbh all the hype after the PSG result was cringe as feck to me. I think it’s no coincidence that we went to absolute shit after this result

Foxbatt

It's not that the players have no clue. If more than half of the CAF can see the moves and are screaming then surely players who have been playing all their lives and at top clubs and for their countries should be able to see it?
The problem is that when the right passes are not being made there is no one in the team to scream at them. Players are not playing for the team. They only want to show off.
How many minutes do you think Rashford would last on the pitch when he doesn't make those passes? How long would it take for Martial to be decked out when he just ambles about, if we had someone like Keane on the pitch?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
When Solskjaer got the job on an interim basis i thought he'd get it permanently if results dictated he should. I expected a decision to be made at the end of April or early in May. Hindsight's great and it looks like United might have made a very important decision a month earlier than they ought to have.

Acole9

Outstanding
I agree with this. I think the PSG result was a fluke 9/10 we lose that game, especially how we played.

Tbh all the hype after the PSG result was cringe as feck to me. I think it’s no coincidence that we went to absolute shit after this result
Don't get me wrong it was a fantastic win and a one of the great European nights that'll live long in the memory but the players over celebrated and acted like they'd won the trophy.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To be honest I'm not buying all this players stepping up, and then just falling back to been crap after Ole got the full time job, I just don't see how things work like that.

You are absolutely right about the DOF though, we were told this was one of Jose's major issues, he didn't want one, so where the hell are they now?

I know we lurch from one mess to the next atm, but this is all so self inflicted, and was so avoidable, give him the job at the end of the season to show you believe in him, or don't and be perfectly justified in the decision, then we all have something to hang our hat on, but there is no positive now, we just look badly run, and naive in the extreme, so the negative cycle begins again.

I had worked with enough people to know that employees who are either out of depth or complacent in their job will cheat their way to stay there especially if they are earning good money that they won't earn anywhere else and they think that they can get away with it. They wouldn't mind making excuses, lying, use the system to their favour and cause others to get fired. United are caught in one hell of a loop. A new manager comes in, he gives the team a clean sleet, they let him down, then he tries to change things around and they get him fired before he fires them. They did so multiple times and will keep doing so up until we stop seeing players as assets that needs to be protected and more as human beings who would always put themselves first ahead to the company they work with. If United aims to win again then it must stop handle 4+1 contracts to shit players who has been here for 7 years despite doing jack shit to justify that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We should sack him and get Poch who's only lost 6 out of the last 9 league games.

Crashoutcassius

They were able to 2 months ago so what has changed ? We're the uncoached ?

soapythecat

When Liverpool managed to secure Klopp’s signature, myself and many many members of the Caf said that was a great appointment. Pretty similar with Pep.
I’ve yet to come across one fan of another club who thinks Ole will be a success. They are still laughing at the appointment.
Everyone else can see his lack of experience and pretty poor record as a manager, yet so many on here are convinced he can get a tune out of these players or build a better side.

Camilo

You try lighting a fire under Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, Matic et al and see how it takes.
Their fire protection lining is very extensive
I'm just not having a bit of it. Ole has to make it happen, that's the job. You can bet your bollocks that Pogba, Martial and Lukaku will have extremely successful careers, because they're all very good players. They're not uniquely lazy, poor poor Man United etc.., they just need picking up after years of shit.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
In all honesty, hiring him before the end of the season did seem an odd decision, especially after the dip in form. I think the less excitable people on here recognised that Ole's winning run did coincide with you playing some of the weaker teams and not necessarily with the best footballing performances.

But, Ole did get a good run of results, which if it had come at the very end of the season probably would have got him the job with no concern and I think there was a feeling that giving him the job when they did would steady the ship. Getting fans back on side, letting the club plan ahead and also letting the players know he was there to stay.

MisterLupus

People bring up Klopp and Pep all the time. Imagine if Dortmund never gave Klopp a chance? His best record at that time was spending three seasons in Mainz securing a promotion spot. And he didn't win the second division by the way he only managed third - then he spent another three seasons going nowhere before being relegated back down again where upon he proceeded to resign after having failed to get promoted. And it wasn't all sunshine in Dortmund either - by the time Liverpool stepped in his team had fallen from 1st place in his initial season - then to second the year after and all the way down into seventh place during his third. Where would Liverpool be today if their fans acted like you guys dismissing him as a failure and demanding his head immediately when his initial impact in the Premier League proved sub-par? I'm sure some of them did - and I'm also sure most Liverpool fans today are happy nobody took them serious.

And as for Pep - all he had to show for when being promoted to senior manager in Barcelona was having won the third division with the reserves and yet he proved somewhat of a success there given some time and patience won't you say? Sir Alex Ferguson too for that metter. He wasn't an instant hit either - far from it. In fact he came under actual scrutiny and not just from disgruntled fans either.

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/119303.html

Point is - how dumb is it to run amok like headless startled chickens before a new reign is even properly underway? How petty is it to turn on someone the moment things aren't going quite to plan? And how do you expect someone gaining experience managing top sides sides if no top sides will offer you that opportunity? Also - I just have to remind you all of this - Solskjær wasn't even offered the job of managing a top side - he was offered the job of managing Manchester United. And Manchester United has struggled for years and we are long since dismissed by our rivals as a real threat.

I mean seriously - here's our record since Sir Alex left us (just look at it!):

2013-2014: 7th place / 64 points
2014-2015: 4th place / 70 points
2015-2016: 5th place / 66 points
2016-2017: 6th place /69 points
2017-2018: 2nd place / 80 points

And by the time he took over in January we were once more into the deep end - far worse off than any of these seasons actually - in 6th place with only 26 points to show for it midway through our campaign. Eleven points behind the top-four and eight behind a 5th placed Arsenal meaning we were literally a mid-table team by then. Not even "the best of the rest" but barely clinging on to "the best of what's left". And now we've climbed within three points of a top-four placement since he took over and if we win just two of our last three we've taken the potentially worst season post-Fergie and turned it into our shared second best. I'm not sure how much of this is Ole's doing though to be fair because this club seems stuck in total randomness and I doubt any manager can fix that without fixing whatever plagues our squad - but I do know that Manchester United is no longer a top club - that you guys should get over it because we haven't been for years - and that Solskjær hasn't done any worse than the three experienced managers we've already had here (two of which actually were among the most experienced and successful managers we've seen these past decades).

So get over yourselves and cut him some slack already. Show some class and give him the chance he deserves and the support this project needs. It's in the word even - "supporter" - so I have no clue why many of you find it so difficult understanding what role you're supposed to play and instead feel it's your duty to piss all over everything every time an opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: KM

elnorte

Freaky fly day
People bring up Klopp and Pep all the time. Imagine if Dortmund never gave Klopp a chance? His best record at that time was spending three seasons in Mainz securing a promotion spot. And he didn't win the second division by the way he only managed third - then he spent another three seasons going nowhere before being relegated back down again where upon he proceeded to resign after having failed to get promoted. And it wasn't all sunshine in Dortmund either - by the time Liverpool stepped in his team had fallen from 1st place in his initial season - then to second the year after and all the way down into seventh place during his third. Where would Liverpool be today if their fans acted like you guys dismissing him as a failure and demanding his head immediately when his initial impact in the Premier League proved sub-par? I'm sure some of them did - and I'm also sure most Liverpool fans today are happy nobody took them serious.

And as for Pep - all he had to show for when being promoted to senior manager in Barcelona was having won the third division with the reserves and yet he proved somewhat of a success there given some time and patience won't you say? Sir Alex Ferguson too for that metter. He wasn't an instant hit either - far from it. In fact he came under actual scrutiny and not just from disgruntled fans either.

Point is - how dumb is it to run amok like headless startled chickens before a new reign is even properly underway? How petty is it to turn on someone the moment things aren't going quite to plan? And how do you expect someone gaining experience managing top sides sides if no top sides will offer you that opportunity? Also - I just have to remind you all of this - Solskjær wasn't even offered the job of managing a top side - he was offered the job of managing Manchester United. And Manchester United has struggled for years and we are long since dismissed by our rivals as a real threat.

And by the time he took over in January we were once more into the deep end - far worse off than any of these seasons actually - in 6th place with only 26 points to show for it midway through our campaign. Eleven points behind the top-four and eight behind a 5th placed Arsenal meaning we were literally a mid-table team by then. Not even "the best of the rest" but barely clinging on to "the best of what's left". And now we've climbed within three points of a top-four placement since he took over and if we win just two of our last three we've taken the potentially worst season post-Fergie and turned it into our shared second best. I'm not sure how much of this is Ole's doing though to be fair because this club seems stuck in total randomness and I doubt any manager can fix that without fixing whatever plagues our squad - but I do know that Manchester United is no longer a top club - that you guys should get over it because we haven't been for years - and that Solskjær hasn't done any worse than the three experienced managers we've already had here (two of which actually were among the most experienced and successful managers we've seen these past decades).

So get over yourselves and cut him some slack already. Show some class and give him the chance he deserves and the support this project needs. It's in the word even - "supporter" - so I have no clue why many of you find it so difficult understanding what role you're supposed to play and instead feel it's your duty to piss all over everything every time an opportunity presents itself.
He ain't up to it.

Fridge chutney

Well said.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not wumming. Genuine question as I was discussing this with mates today. Is it likely Ferguson might come back in the summer as joint manager but with less 'admin'? He's the one man that could sort this mess out, even part time.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm not wumming. Genuine question as I was discussing this with mates today. Is it likely Ferguson might come back in the summer as joint manager but with less 'admin'? He's the one man that could sort this mess out, even part time.
Ole seems to be tapping into his inner Fergie as much as he can, and is apparently keeping his parking space free, so who knows.. And you're wumming.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Not a chance mate.

Cloud7

Guy is about 75 by now, having suffered a serious medical issue before. The last thing he needs is the stress of this job ever in his life again, and Sir Alex is an intelligent guy, he knows that better than any of us.

Zoo

Only in your worst nightmare.

redIndianDevil

Nice "top red" rant. If Solksjaer at least had the experience of coaching in a top league I'd give him time but he has nothing and managing Norwegian league is like managing in lower League 1. Klopp or Guardiola had a vision and a style, nothing is evident in what Solksjaer is doing. Buying 3-4 players and one month of pre season isn't magically going to make us better, if Solksjaer had a style or was coaching something, it should have been evident by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.