Are Dortmund building their next great side?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very happy with what I've seen so far. This is obviously the sort of game they'd have lost last few seasons and then the Bundesliga is gone. Think last 8 is about their limit in CL.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Favre - i do hope we go for him next. The way players bypassed the high press was a beauty . Ofcourse the classic Dortmund one touch transition:drool:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Favre - i do hope we go for him next. The way players bypassed the high press was a beauty . Ofcourse the classic Dortmund one touch transition:drool:
Dortmund is big job in its own right but he deserves a big job in England or Italy before he retires. A very underrated manager over the last 10 years.

Treble

They were very unimpressive in the first half. Missed the second half, apparently they were a completely different team then? Woold be good for the Bundesliga Dortmund to win it. But they don't seem ready for the CL despite the big win against Atleti.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They were very unimpressive in the first half. Missed the second half, apparently they were a completely different team then? Woold be good for the Bubdesliga Dortmund to win it. But they don't seem ready for the CL despite the big win against Atleti.
True, they were shit in the 1st half. Favre's subs made a significant change to Dortmund.

izec

They were very unimpressive in the first half. Missed the second half, apparently they were a completely different team then? Woold be good for the Bundesliga Dortmund to win it. But they don't seem ready for the CL despite the big win against Atleti.
Key was Dahoud and Paco for Weigl and Götze. They also started playing once they went behind, they were sitting far too deep in the first half and let Bayern play. Once they had to play, they were brilliant. They normally play more on the front foot, but today they adapted a bit to Bayern in the first half with a more solid and defensive approach.

Treble

Key was Dahoud and Paco for Weigl and Götze. They also started playing once they went behind, they were sitting far too deep in the first half and let Bayern play. Once they had to play, they were brilliant. They normally play more on the front foot, but today they adapted a bit to Bayern in the first half with a more solid and defensive approach.
Ok, thanks.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For whatever reason Favre didn't start wit his best 11. Odd when they don't play for two weeks.

I did muse pre match that maybe he was thinking to see in the game for an hour and then with subs win in last 30 and that's how it panned out.

Sauldogba

Another one who only managed to catch the first half but was not impressed either.
They will probably win the league but i can't see them winning the Champions league any time soon.

NoLogo

Another one who only managed to catch the first half but was not impressed either.
They will probably win the league but i can't see them winning the Champions League any time soon.
Yeah pretty sure this side won't win the CL, too young and inexperienced and like always this team will get picked apart before they can mature enough to win that cup. But if they play their hands right they could end up earning a couple hundred million from their current crop of talents, which they need to invest into the next crop of talents and building their brand until they maybe one day can compete with the top wage paying clubs.

AndyJ1985

When anyone says Jose isn't given enough money, it's so very easy to point to Dortmund and call bullshit on that excuse. You don't have to spend vast sums of money to build a great team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah pretty sure this side won't win the CL, too young and inexperienced and like always this team will get picked apart before they can mature enough to win that cup. But if they play their hands right they could end up earning a couple hundred million from their current crop of talents, which they need to invest into the next crop of talents and building their brand until they maybe one day can compete with the top wage paying clubs.
I wouldn't necessarily think that they can't hold their talents. The situation is dfferent now. The club has established itself at the top and pays very high wages, not far behind Bayern. They are on their best way to become a European top side.

Of course they will occasionally have to sell their very best players but there are probably only three or four clubs in the world which can avoid that. Wouldn't say it is unimaginable that they win the CL with Favre as their coach.

heub

When anyone says Jose isn't given enough money, it's so very easy to point to Dortmund and call bullshit on that excuse. You don't have to spend vast sums of money to build a great team.
Dortmund has spent 306m€ on 22 players since 2016 (Bayern: 176m€).

worldinmotion66

Dortmund has spent 306m€ on 22 players since 2016 (Bayern: 176m€).
They've also had to replace the likes of Yarmolenko, Sokratis, Aubameyang, Dembele, Ginter, Mor, Bender, Ramos, Subotic, Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Gundogan and Blaszczykowski.

Bayern haven't had anywhere near the rebuilding to do.

heub

Now here we are at the point where looking at net spend is mandatory.
The OP wasn't at that point.

They've also had to replace the likes of Yarmolenko, Sokratis, Aubameyang, Dembele, Ginter, Mor, Bender, Ramos, Subotic, Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Gundogan and Blaszczykowski.

Bayern haven't had anywhere near the rebuilding to do.
Thats not the topic. The OP basically said Dortmund doesn't spend big on players.

worldinmotion66

The OP wasn't at that point.

Thats not the topic. The OP basically said Dortmund doesn't spend big on players.
They spend in an intelligent way, spreading the risk over numerous transfers rather than spending big on one or two, I guess that's why they seem to not be spending big when they are. Last three seasons they have never reached the £30m mark on a single player. When they make the money they do on transfers, they are well within their right to reinvest that accordingly.

It's just a well run club from top to bottom.

Peter Silie

Supports
BVB
They will probably win the league but i can't see them winning the Champions League any time soon.
What a huge prediction. As if winning the Champions League was the norm for a club like Dortmund.