Are PSG trying to entice players to run out their contracts?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm starting to find this very consistent in their transfer patterns.

• Widjnaldum
  • Sergio Ramos
  • Donnurumma
  • Leveller
  • Herrera
  • Buffon
  • Chupo moving
  • Dani Alves
  • Lassana Diarra
  • Ben Arfa

This is starting to look like Pogba will be added to this list next year.

I'm not sure about the cost of Messi (free transfer or what?) - But PSG are getting players easily worth 50-125 million on absolute free transfers.

This seemed planned with Widjnaldum and is starting to see it in Pogba.

Does this continue?

Free transfers after they talk behind clubs back and all they have to do is pay some extra wages?

What happens with regard to this?

When City play £100mil for a player like Jack Grealish, it's also hard to see or hear about but you can sleep at night knowing that it hasn't exactly been cheap.

Who are the other free players they add in the coming transfer windows? A new LB? A new CDM? Will this stop or continue? Is money controlling the world Uefa and FA more than ever?

*updated thread name to highlight what I think I'm seeing.

Last edited:

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Firstly you can talk to anyone in the last months of their contract. Secondly everyone talks to players behind their clubs back to some extent, I'd argue it's necessary to get any business done.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, between them and every other pissing club in the game doing it I’m starting to wonder if t’game’s gone?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Every club talks to a players agent, that's the whole point of having agents.

It's up to the clubs to sell them before they wind the contracts down to nothing.

Bebestation

Firstly you can talk to anyone in the last months of their contract. Secondly everyone talks to players behind their clubs back to some extent, I'd argue it's necessary to get any business done.
Do you think PSG have talken to Pogba before he gets on to these "last few months" of his contract?

romufc

Do you think PSG have talken to Pogba before he gets on to these "last few months" of his contract?
Mino Raiola has just taken Donnuruma to PSG, I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba was brought up in the discussions.

So yes, PSG would have spoken to Pogba's people.

Amarsdd

Any idea what their wage budget is for this season and what percentage of their revenue?

Lynty

Considering that the Qatari have breached labour and employment laws in the building of football stadiums, blatant disregard to financial regulation, bribed a corrupt organisation to award a world Cup, allegedly provide support for radical Islamists in the middle East and are mostly likely behind more than one proxy war...

Talking to players behind clubs backs wouldn't exactly be the biggest stain on their black souls.

Woodzy

Wasn't Widjnaldum close to joining Barcelona to begin with?

But yeh, all clubs are doing it, it just happens that PSG have a bit more cash to throw around than the rest.

I remember the days when the likes of Chelsea were tapping up Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard and there was uproar. Somehow this has now become the accepted behaviour for transfers.

Chief123

They are about to lose Mbappe for free too.
Mbappe leaving on a free could be the most tragic transfer ever for the selling club.

He could potentially be the best player in the world next summer and be leaving on a free transfer with his prime years ahead of him. That is a painful loss.

The Siege

I mean on the last few months of their contract, they're entitled to talk to players to discuss their future after the few months left.

I think all clubs talk to players even when doing a club-to-club transfer, perhaps not to talk about wages and all the nitty gritties, but to gauge if the player is even interested at all. It'd just be silly negotiating with the club if you had an idea that the player didn't want to move.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As others have said, players are free to talk to clubs during the last 6 months of their contract and all clubs indirectly communicate with players, through agents or intermediaries.

SinNombre

There are no free transfers.

It is a clownish thing perpetuated by fans arguing about net spending online.

You end up paying the difference in transfers fees in wages and agent fees and sign on bonuses.

And then end up with players who can’t be shifted like Ramsey and his 400k/week wages.

romufc

There are no free transfers.

It is a clownish thing perpetuated by fans arguing about net spending online.

You end up paying the difference in transfers fees in wages and agent fees and sign on bonuses.

And then end up with players who can’t be shifted like Ramsey and his 400k/week wages.
This is why players have started running their contracts out. It is in their interest to run it down and get a huge signing on fee and wages.

The power is with player and agents.

Gandalf

Mbappe leaving on a free could be the most tragic transfer ever for the selling club.

He could potentially be the best player in the world next summer and be leaving on a free transfer with his prime years ahead of him. That is a painful loss.
I am sure PSG can cook the books sufficiently to offer Mbappe God wages and with Real and Barca drowning in debt and careening into a full on tear down and rebuild I would expect the arrival of Messi and greatly improved chance of winning the CL to be enough to clinch a renewal. I imagine they can pull this off and still sign Pogba after ditching a few squad players next summer.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Psg is breaking the gentlement agreement between clubs not to abuse bosman ruling.

Most clubs can approach player to not renew but there's some sort of agreement not to do so.

Which is why most clubs are not using that tactics..imho

But if one or two clubs starts doing it the power will shift

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG is the only club in the world to talk to players :smirk:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I mean on the last few months of their contract, they're entitled to talk to players to discuss their future after the few months left.

I think all clubs talk to players even when doing a club-to-club transfer, perhaps not to talk about wages and all the nitty gritties, but to gauge if the player is even interested at all. It'd just be silly negotiating with the club if you had an idea that the player didn't want to move.
By the rule you're not supposed to before a formal bid is accepted..but agents make all that possible.

That's tapping up. Selling club might encourage this is they intend to sell and the price is set but mostly not before formal agreement as the player are still under contract

Zen86

Is there much of a thing about “tapping up” players anymore? There used to be a big furore when clubs were found to be doing it, but it seems like a given these days that nobody really cares about.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Clubs always talk to players before making a move - whether that be a record transfer (Chelsea-Lukaku) or a free transfer (Barsa-Depay). No club is wasting bids on players and showing their cards (ie transfer budget) publicly, without being sure that the player would sign once the selling club approves. The buying club knows all the important details about the players contract, before they begin any negotiations with the selling club.

Bebestation

Psg is breaking the gentlement agreement between clubs not to abuse bosman ruling.

Most clubs can approach player to not renew but there's some sort of agreement not to do so.

I mean there is a difference between Chelsea talking to Lukaku before a transfer fee is agreed and afterwards paying a 100 mil transfer fee to Inter Milan to bring him to Stamford bridge vs PSG possibly contacting players 2 years before their contract is running out and to tell them not to sign a contract because they have a wage capable that only PSG could give.

I mean I remember Donnurumma had made his mind he wasn't signing a contract a long time before this window, widjnaldum wasn't interesting in renewing at Liverpool and waited a year without signing anything so he could sign for PSG. Pogba is doing the same now, he has been approached and offered a contract 2 years before his contract is running out and he has been told to not to sign one with United.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Isn't this standard practice now?

Grealish talked about how his move to City was in the offing for months, and City just conveniently managed to "bid" the exact amount of his release clause as well, so you can almost be sure there was contact there.

Ralph1386

What do we mean by behind their clubs’ back? Did we speak to Sancho and Varane behind their club’s back? If so then it’s standard practice.

Zen

Are we condoning modern slavery instead?

If a players intention is to leave on a free, so be it, why do they have to tell anyone really? It’s more or less what I’d dream of doing…. just a couple of short term deals going the mostly Thierry Henry route… swap Arsenal with Utd though.

iKnowNothing

Ah gentlemen’s agreement. Haven’t heard this for a week. :drool:

R'hllor

I hope they do and just to piss non PSG fans even more, hope they record it and make TV show out of it. Seems oil cnuts inventing transfer moves, things were so clean and innocent before they came to the scene. Nevermind the 6 months rule etc.

ROFLUTION

Considering that the Qatari have breached labour and employment laws in the building of football stadiums, blatant disregard to financial regulation, bribed a corrupt organisation to award a world Cup, allegedly provide support for radical Islamists in the middle East and are mostly likely behind more than one proxy war...

Talking to players behind clubs backs wouldn't exactly be the biggest stain on their black souls.
Nail meets head. They'll do whatever it takes.

/End of thread

Red00012

I'm starting to find this very consistent in their transfer patterns.

• Widjnaldum
  • Sergio Ramos
  • Donnurumma
  • Leveller
  • Herrera
  • Buffon
  • Chupo moving
  • Dani Alves
  • Lassana Diarra
  • Ben Arfa

This is starting to look like Pogba will be added to this list next year.

I'm not sure about the cost of Messi (free transfer or what?) - But PSG are getting players easily worth 50-125 million on absolute free transfers.

This seemed planned with Widjnaldum and is starting to see it in Pogba.

Does this continue?

Free transfers after they talk behind clubs back and all they have to do is pay some extra wages?

What happens with regard to this?

When City play £100mil for a player like Jack Grealish, it's also hard to see or hear about but you can sleep at night knowing that it hasn't exactly been cheap.

Who are the other free players they add in the coming transfer windows? A new LB? A new CDM? Will this stop or continue? Is money controlling the world Uefa and FA more than ever?
Every club speaks to players

PSG “ We’ll give you money no one else will come near matching “

KennyBurner

This is the future considering clubs overpricing their best players. Juventus started it and more Top clubs will continue it.

JPRouve

Scout
By the way a club did that in the last decade:

Dani Alves
Ramsey
Rabiot
Pirlo
Can
Khedira
Coman
Llorente
Pogba

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Of course they are. Like any similar club basically.

Tallis

Are we condoning modern slavery instead?

If a players intention is to leave on a free, so be it, why do they have to tell anyone really? It’s more or less what I’d dream of doing…. just a couple of short term deals going the mostly Thierry Henry route… swap Arsenal with Utd though.
Do you really think this is comparable to slavery ? Wanting a player to extend a contract because you paid a transfer fee and paying them more more money in a year vs what most will earn in a life time?

Pehaps players Should not have contracts and be fired if they don’t perform with a months notice. That would really get rid of slavery

JPRouve

Scout
Do you really think this is comparable to slavery ? Wanting a player to extend a contract because you paid a transfer fee and paying them more more money in a year vs what most will earn in a life time?

Pehaps players Should not have contracts and be fired if they don’t perform with a months notice. That would really get rid of slavery
The thing is you paid a transfer fee to his former club not to the player, players shouldn't consider the transfer fee when they think about leaving at the end of their contract, he fulfilled his contractual obligation. Personally I like that system, that's how it mainly works in Rugby players freely move at the end of their contracts, though in Rugby it's not rare for a player to openly agree on a contract almost a season in advance which would wind up many football fans.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

How?

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Lewandowski, are not all magically going to decline in a year, yes Mbappe may get better but he hasn't improved very much in the last couple of seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Haaland end up as the best player in the world. Mbappe is over rated anyway in my opinion.

It might sound like a bold statement but I don't think Mbappe is in the top 10 players in the world.

Tallis

The thing is you paid a transfer fee to his former club not to the player, players shouldn't consider the transfer fee when they think about leaving at the end of their contract, he fulfilled his contractual obligation. Personally I like that system, that's how it mainly works in Rugby players freely move at the end of their contracts, though in Rugby it's not rare for a player to openly agree on a contract almost a season in advance which would wind up many football fans.
Yeah I am generally okayish if a player wants to leave on a free. If he has been treated well by the club, then I think it’s a little scumbaggish to move to another club on a free just for more money and deny them a transfer fee. But I understand that’s just my morals and I can’t expect football players to abide by the same.

What does really annoy me though is this references to “slavery” in the context of football contracts. Does anyone really think that a football club wanting a player to sign another contract and not goto another club for free is slavery ?

Yes - there is modern day slavery in the world but to use that in the context of multi million football contracts is just ridiculous.