Are PSG trying to entice players to run out their contracts?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah I am generally okayish if a player wants to leave on a free. If he has been treated well by the club, then I think it’s a little scumbaggish to move to another club on a free just for more money and deny them a transfer fee. But I understand that’s just my morals and I can’t expect football players to abide by the same.

What does really annoy me though is this references to “slavery” in the context of football contracts. Does anyone really think that a football club wanting a player to sign another contract and not goto another club for free is slavery ?

Yes - there is modern day slavery in the world but to use that in the context of multi million football contracts is just ridiculous.
It's not just for more money, by moving on a free you actually choose your destination instead of limiting it to clubs that can afford what your club may demand. Would you extend with your current club knowing that it would prevent you from going where you want, what happens if you extend one year and are in the same situation a year later or sustain an injury at the end of the season?

Tallis

It's not just for more money, by moving on a free you actually choose your destination instead of limiting it to clubs that can afford what your club may demand. Would you extend with your current club knowing that it would prevent you from going where you want, what happens if you extend one year and are in the same situation a year later or sustain an injury at the end of the season?
I don’t disagree. I think there are legitimate reasons to move for a free. I did qualify my statement specifically for situations where a player moved for “more money”

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don’t disagree. I think there are legitimate reasons to move for a free. I did qualify my statement specifically for situations where a player moved for “more money”
But even more money is a good idea, think about it this way. You are making a moral point based on the idea that your future ex-employer should make more money out of your contract even though you fulfilled your duty. Surely you can see how your point which is fairly common is actually very weird from a logical or even moral standpoint because you have done your job and you still think that you should put yourself second and your employer first. It's amazing that football clubs managed to convince people that it made any sense.

James Peril

They are literally losing Mbappe for free next year, he cost them like 200M. Most of these are old-timers looking for a last payday and experience in Paris, then there are players like Pogba where their present club aren’t matching their ambitions over time. Besides, they aren’t free are they… sign-ons and wages are compensating for the lack of fee.

acnumber9

Are we condoning modern slavery instead?

If a players intention is to leave on a free, so be it, why do they have to tell anyone really? It’s more or less what I’d dream of doing…. just a couple of short term deals going the mostly Thierry Henry route… swap Arsenal with Utd though.
Nothing wrong with players exercising their right to move. They may eventually find clubs looking to pay them less if they’re losing too much money on their investment though.

Zen

Do you really think this is comparable to slavery ? Wanting a player to extend a contract because you paid a transfer fee and paying them more more money in a year vs what most will earn in a life time?

Pehaps players Should not have contracts and be fired if they don’t perform with a months notice. That would really get rid of slavery
No of course not, it's just the line some come out with when they are trapped :lol:

I mean they do their dream job, so they either A. shouldn't massively moan.... or B. At this point, just not sign massive long contracts.

But I certainly see no harm in X more or less planning to go to Y FC "If I stay fit I'll agree to come to you".... verbal agreement means nothing anyway, Wijnaldum proved that this summer.

No cap in place isn't the clubs or players faults.... so whatever.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Juventus is also good in capturing players on free.

PSG lost the following players on free:
- Zlatan
- Cavani
- Menez
- Rabiot
- Thiago Silva
- Alex
- Coman
- ...And probably Mbappe next summer

432JuanMata

Juventus is also good in capturing players on free.

PSG lost the following players on free:
- Zlatan
- Cavani
- Menez
- Rabiot
- Thiago Silva
- Alex
- Coman
- ...And probably Mbappe next summer
Yeah this is a silly thread to be fair. What PSG do any bug club can do. If we offered Messi 1mil a week he could of been here. PSG take players on free with big wages so they put their transfer budget into wage budget.
Sure as you mentioned we signed Cavani/Zlatan off them. Barca got Depay and Aguero this season. This year a lot of players were out of contract it’s not a PSG thing. Juve one time had Khedira, Pirlo and Pogba in CM and all were free.

edcunited1878

There's so much back room chatter and posturing that happens between agents, media, and club intermediaries. It's just all part of the game.

When a player is within 2 years of their contract, you're going to have discussions with agents and intermediaries just to get exposure into their position. It's all a learning experience for it to be leveraged at a better time down the road.

Perfect example is United and Ole talking with Haaland during his move away from Austria. Same with speaking with Bellingham. The more you know, the better off you'll be. It's not really enticing players to run down their contract, it's more like understanding what their next move can be like well before it could actually happen.

This happens ALL the time in sports. That is why you would rather have a seat at the table than not.

Messi = no one expected him leave Barca this year.

Widjnaldum would have gone to Barca if not for their predicament.

Don.. most expected him to go to Juventus

Ramos would have preferred to stay at Real, but real are unsentimental when it comes to letting legends go before they become a liability on the pitch and wage book.

Herrera wanted to stay at United

Getting world class experienced players on free signings is obviously their strategy, but it’s more opportunistic and waiting for a player to be available on a free or in the last 6 months of their contract. It’s not a joint venture with the player where it’s already been agreed from 12 or more months before that the player won’t renew his current and PSG promise to sign him on a free.

Strats

Have we had any significant players joining United for free excluding Ibrahimovic and Cavani?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
There is no such thing as 'running out' a contract. A contract is a contract, if clubs want one to be longer they must offer a longer one in the first place, a player might want to sign that, or might not, but whatever is agreed and signed, that is what it is.

RedDevilPure

Like what Wenger said, they are going the American NBA route of signing players. Kudos to them for being savvy and saving shitload on transfer fees.