Are standards too low in English football culture?

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Okay. I think you need to cool it a bit. Firstly, even if I buy your premise, that Saka has more potential and is six years younger than Grealish, what has that got to do with the present. Secondly, I'm not even suggesting that playing Saka over the Grealish or Foden is a crazy move but to suggest the vice versa is not "ignorant" as there's a pretty good rationale based on their respective seasons.

And finally, I'm not English. If my attitude is a reason why England will never win, I might as well should keep it up then.
Cool as ice princess.

I wasn't speaking about you but the general mindset amongst people in English football.
There is nothing wrong with wanting Foden or Grealish ahead of Saka; It's all about opinions ultimately. My problem is with those who act crazy and start disrespecting Southgate for selecting Saka as if he's a Heskey or Walcott level talent. This to me is ignorance as Bukayo is clearly one of the best English young players to emerge in many years.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
When you spend a lot of cash to buy whatever EA's FIFA rates the highest instead of supporting your own youth, this is what happens. Youngsters getting paid millions to sit on the bench because some foreign guy from Europe gets bought, how is the NT going to improve?

Having said that, the English NT is not bad. They could have won this. It's just those damn penalty shootouts. It's a coin toss, can't blame the English NT for that. I think the attacks on individual players are disgraceful and don't reflect the accomplishments they made properly.
You mean like the Italian team. Majority of their players are not playing for Juve or Inter. The greater percentage of this squad are starters at their clubs.
I'd rather argue the lack of unknowns like Kalvin Phillips in this team as my leaning angle, I generally hold a belief that player should play at least 5yrs of senior football before considered for the national team as starters. Focus for me is not raw ability but consistency and maturity.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This isn't a dig but why was Ole appointed manager of Man United? His CV as a manager certainly didn't warrant it but his personal history did and it has been proved to be the right decision.

Southgate got to a world cup semi and just lost a Euro final on pens, it's probably a lot better than the FA hoped for.
I'm probably going to start a war by saying this but I see similarities between the two.

Both have done really well building a team/spirit and because of that will likely always have a certain level of consistency (Ole enough points for top four, Southgate enough to always have decent ish runs at tournaments) but both seem to dither when the medals are in sight and go on to make some very strange decisions.

I think if both parties want to hit the next level they have to say "thanks for the building blocks but it's time for the results to match now" we did it (although our hand was significantly more forced) and look what happened.

He'sRaldo

The problem is the overhaul in English football which resulted in such talented youth as Saka, Foden, and Sancho, didn't carry over to the English managers.

England's problem has always been lack of savvy management, because somehow the training the managers get in England seems to be subpar compared to their international counterparts.

Once England overhaul their managerial training cultural outlook (less emphasis on passion etc), and combine that with the youth they are producing these days, there's no way they won't get their hands on a trophy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Arguably the biggest thing holding England back is their coaching every tournament. They go after failed mediocre coaches time and time again, or defensive coaches which don't suit the players they have. England lost this tournament and in the semi's in 2018 because of overly cautious tactics, bad subs and not trusting to use difference makers in attack like Sancho or Grealish. A fundamental lack of understanding thinking you'll lose the game if you have an attacker like them on the pitch for too long. The same thing will happen in the next world cup if he's still there because that's just southgates nature. They need Rodgers in IMO.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The funny thing is, if Donnarumma was English this thread probably wouldn't exist now.