Are the traditional big leagues outside England at a collective low point?

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
To be honest it does feel like the gap between the MLS and La Liga, Ligue One and the Bundesliga is closer than the gap between those leagues and the PL.

Crazy to think.
Of the last 20 editions of the equivalent of the Champions League of the Concacaf region, Mexican teams have won 18. The other 2 were won by teams from Costa Rica. Let MLS first catch the mexican league (they are doing it and the MLS will eventually be better) before talking about reducing the gap with serie a and bundesliga.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
People may laugh but the MLS is certainly catching up with the lesser European Leagues (Germany, France, Spain etc).

It also has steadily increasing revenues so I see that gap getting even closer as time goes on.

All are a million miles away from the PL mind.
That's total nonsense. Carlos Vela was a totally average Liga player and he looks like prime Ronaldo in MLS.

RoyH1

Like I said before, these things are cyclical and things might change again. And if as some say, the money the PL generates becomes too much of an obstacle to overcome, I fully expect the other leagues/big clubs to react. I wouldn't rule out some league fusions in the future a la what the Dutch and Belgians are contemplating.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The PL has always had money. It was still in a low point earlier this last decade, pre Pep and Klopp.

Also, it will be mute once I seize power :mad:
I think at that time the other leagues were still able to compete financially. The latest TV deal for England is something no other major European league can match, and I think that's why there was a push for the super league. The PL is king and it will be many years before it's dethroned.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Of the last 20 editions of the equivalent of the Champions League of the Concacaf region, Mexican teams have won 18. The other 2 were won by teams from Costa Rica. Let MLS first catch the mexican league (they are doing it and the MLS will eventually be better) before talking about reducing the gap with serie a and bundesliga.
Agreed. The MLS will surely overtake / surpass the Liga MX eventually, but at this moment in time it is still lags comfortably behind.

22 out of the last 26 final places in the CONCACAF Champions League have been filled by Liga MX teams.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think at that time the other leagues were still able to compete financially. The latest TV deal for England is something no other major European league can match, and I think that's why there was a push for the super league. The PL is king and it will be many years before it's dethroned.
I don't think it had anything to do with finance, the EPL has always had financial dominance over the other leagues.

What we're seeing now is the dual impact of the EPL signing the best managers from other leagues, and the top teams from outside of England going through a transition period (Real and Barca). A similar thing happened in the mid 2000's. Real's galaticos era was finishing with their best players entering their 30's while Barcelona's superstars lost motivation after 2006. A few years later, both were able to rebuild their squads and hire great managers (Jose and Pep) while the EPL squads that dominated went past their prime, Chelsea also lost Jose and Liverpool lost Rafa for example.

Liverpool's squad will too enter a period in a few years where some of their main players will go past 30 (Salah, Mane, Firmino, VvD) and Klopp might leave, that could signal a end to their dominance. City and Chelsea's squad look better in that respect but that depends on whether they can keep their current managers as well.

Let's see if Madrid and Barca can rebuild their squads in those next few years as well.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
To be honest, it really isn't that far off from a financial perspective. On the current TV and commercial deals the PL clubs' are all in the top 40 richest clubs in the world. This is probably only going to get worse as the overseas money keeps on increasing. I mean, once the new overseas TV deals kick in, the PL will probably be close to having 20 of the top 35 richest clubs in the world.
Prem financial superiority is undeniable, but they will never reach NBA levels for two reasons:

1. USA is by far the biggest economy in the world
2. Most of the top basketball players are American

Neither holds true for England

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't think it had anything to do with finance, the EPL has always had financial dominance over the other leagues.

What we're seeing now is the dual impact of the EPL signing the best managers from other leagues, and the top teams from outside of England going through a transition period (Real and Barca). A similar thing happened in the mid 2000's. Real's galaticos era was finishing with their best players entering their 30's while Barcelona's superstars lost motivation after 2006. A few years later, both were able to rebuild their squads and hire great managers (Jose and Pep) while the EPL squads that dominated went past their prime, Chelsea also lost Jose and Liverpool lost Rafa for example.

Liverpool's squad will too enter a period in a few years where some of their main players will go past 30 (Salah, Mane, Firmino, VvD) and Klopp might leave, that could signal a end to their dominance. City and Chelsea's squad look better in that respect but that depends on whether they can keep their current managers as well.

Let's see if Madrid and Barca can rebuild their squads in those next few years as well.
Both of those factors are due to finance. The PL is blowing everyone else away in the money stakes these days, which wasn't always the case. Sometimes the ability of other leagues to be top of the heap was due to favourable tax laws (or illegal avoidance as they were doing in Spain) contributing to the ebb and flow. These days only a few teams can compete with teams in the bottom half of the PL financially so it's natural that the best talents will come to England and the rest of Europe suffers.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

What we're seeing now is the dual impact of the EPL signing the best managers from other leagues, and the top teams from outside of England going through a transition period (Real and Barca).
90s EPL was behind Serie A and La Liga economically, the boost came after cable TV became mainstream, and EPL entered the asian market before anybody else.
In the 90s english teams didn't have the money to sign good foreign coaches so they were stuck with outdated british coaches (except SAF and Arsenal with Wenger)
Until the 2005-2007 or so, at least 90% of managers in EPL were british, a total contrast with today's EPL having only 5-6 british managers out of 20 teams.

When Chelsea got money they first thing they did was signing Mourinho, who was a top manager back then.
Now english teams can even hire continental CL finalists/winning managers, they have the money to, they couldn't do that 20-25 years ago, so they were stuck with outdated british managers.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
These threads pop up from time to time.

I remember after 2006 there was a lot made of how English teams were dominating the last four of the Champions League. It didn't last. It never does.

For most of the past 10 years Spain has dominated the Champions League and Europa League. It didn't last. It never does.

At the moment we're at one of those points where the English game is succeeding. That's all.

RooneyLegend

The biggest change is that the the EPL has 3 teams that are elite. Everyone else is neither here nor there. Leicester for example were outplayed heavily in their matches against Napoli.

Redfrog

People may laugh but the MLS is certainly catching up with the lesser European Leagues (Germany, France, Spain etc).

It also has steadily increasing revenues so I see that gap getting even closer as time goes on.

All are a million miles away from the PL mind.
Too bad nobody cares about MLS.
European football is king.
Still, basketball is a good sport, I’ll give you that.

Redfrog

Agreed. The MLS will surely overtake / surpass the Liga MX eventually, but at this moment in time it is still lags comfortably behind.

22 out of the last 26 final places in the CONCACAF Champions League have been filled by Liga MX teams.
That makes sense as football is not very popular in US. To get better football has to be more popular, I don’t know how it can develop in the shadows of majors sports there.
In Mexico football is number one.

Redfrog

When I see how you English folks have to pay to watch the PL I am not that jealous.
That is the biggest cons about PL being very marketable. It becomes very expansive to watch it in your own country.