Are United a super team (squad)?

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
even based off today’s XI, there were world class or elite players in: Pogba, Bruno, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, De Gea.

That’s 6/11 starters.

sooner or later Sancho in James spot makes it 7. Cavani in Greenwood’s spot makes it 8 (Greenwood himself is arguably already on the cusp of being elite now…shooting wise, he’s statistically one of the best goal converters in not just England but Europe’s top 5 leagues!). Pogba dropping in midfield every so often and Rashford slotting in on the left gets it to 9. And then there’s Varane totalling it up to 10.

10 out of 11 potential/inevitable starters being elite or world class caliber players !!

Henderson/De Gea(GK), Shaw(LB), Maguire(CB), Varane(CB), Wan-Bissaka(RB), Pogba(CM), Rashford(LM), Sancho(RM), Bruno(AM), Cavani(ST)

Let’s not forget any goalie we play is an elite option in both Hendo+DDG. Only position/player missing the elite or world class cut being whichever one of McFred starts as the DM and they’re no slouches either. Even if both of McFred start, at worst that’s 9/11 starters being super talents. We are quite literally an elite or world class DM away from having 11 out of 11 super starters.

…then look at the bench, there’s still very very strong options in Martial, Greenwood, 1 of McFred, Pogba if both McFred are starting, Donny, Matic, Lingard, Telles, Dalot, Lindelof, Bailly, 1 of De Gea or Henderson. Not to mention the plethora of promising academy players awaiting their opportunities. That’s a super bench in of itself!

:devil:

Brightonian

Love to see this. So much negativity on the caf these days, and sure you could quibble with your post here or there, but the underlying point is solid. We're stacked with quality now.

Abraxas

I wouldn't say AWB or DeGea are world class or elite by most reasonable description of those terms, DeGea needs to demonstrate a resurgence first.

Also, Pogba and Bruno undoubtedly have this level of ability but they do have huge fluctuations. With Bruno it tends to be in performance rather than output and with Pogba it tends to be both.

Just tempering things a little, I think it's an optimistic view but the point remains we have a very good 15 or so players.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I can see DDG getting a buzz back this season and being better than the last couple and pissing Henderson off.

Let's not get too giddy though we are gonna have problems in midfield in some games.

Think it will be an exciting season though.

KennyBurner

We are most definitely a super team. No other team has the wide berth of quality attacking wise as us in the league. City used to be that team but head to head in attack we are better. They’ve also lost aguero who was the difference. Disregard this last 2 sentences if the get Harry Kane.

also have the best starting defense in the league. No downplaying how good our team is. We have to go-out and show it every week.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Wouldn’t say AWB is world class yet. But he’s getting there along with Greenwood.

DDG/Hendo aren’t in that list either but may prove themselves this season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The one thing Ive learnt post-Fergie is how important mentality and belief is in football. Talent-wise, we're up there. Now we have to show that week in week out and believe we can do big things.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Wouldn’t say AWB is world class yet. But he’s getting there along with Greenwood.

DDG/Hendo aren’t in that list either but may prove themselves this season.
AWB is definitely up there imo. Defensively, he clamps down the opponents left side like no other in the world. And attacking wise/joining the rush, he’s only gotten better and better.

goalies i agree. I feel Hendo is better than De Gea who lost a step the past 1-2 years but both are still elite or just at the cusp as well.

The one thing Ive learnt post-Fergie is how important mentality and belief is in football. Talent-wise, we're up there. Now we have to show that week in week out and believe we can do big things.
Definitely! I remember how inconsistent the team was when Ole showed up. Under previous managers, you just wouldn’t know which version of the players/team would show up on any given day. Slowly but surely, the consistency aspect of them has improved tenfold. Last year especially, we found ways to win games even when we didn’t have our best performance. That’s a sign of a top mentality. Ole and the staff have done a wonderful job all things considered!

Alemar

even based off today’s XI, there were world class or elite players in: Pogba, Bruno, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, De Gea.

That’s 6/11 starters.
Bissaka is neither world class nor elite. At least yet - and there is a long way to go. De Gea previously was, but he needs to find his form first.

That said, only 4 such players today, but Varane and Sancho will be added to this list (so 6 starters)

meamth

Based on Carragher's recent debate with Neville read with scouse accent)

"Buy more players? Manchester United is the most expensive squad in the Premier League, Maguire is 80 million, Bissaka 50 million, Lindelof 30 million, Varane 45 million, Pogba 89 Million, Bruno 64 million, Martial 50 million, Sancho 75 million, Fred 50 million, Matic 40 million, seriously, even Luke Shaw is 30-35 million!"

Of course we're stacked. Now is the season to win something, if not we're a total failure.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yeah I think Greenwood is not far off elite / world class now - I’d be disappointed if he didn’t get there soon anyway.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Good on Ole for getting these players talked about like this, because a few were not when playing under different managers.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
AWB is definitely up there imo. Defensively, he clamps down the opponents left side like no other in the world. And attacking wise/joining the rush, he’s only gotten better and better.
His attacking output is pretty average and he has had frequent lapses in concentration, letting players pass by him. He is not there yet but will definitely improve.

El Zoido

This is an elite team, no doubt. Huge credit to Ole for building this. Cavani, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Martial, is really good, and probably the best in the Premier League. Probably the second best in Europe too, though I wouldn't swap our front line for anyone, not even PSG. I really don't see why this team can't compete for every trophy going, even the CL. I genuinely believe that. This is exciting, and if you're not enjoying this as a United fan right now then I pity you. Why do you even watch football? I fancy us to beat anyone, it's so good.

Lj82

Was just thinking y yesterday that Cavani and Rashford were not even on the bench for the match. Imagine when we are at full strength!

Bertie Wooster

It's definitely the best squad we've assembled for a good while, and is capable of competing for the top trophies.

Terms like 'world class' and 'elite' are subjective and tough to quantify. And you don't need all the players to be at that level. However, bringing it down to 'good enough to regularly start for a top team in England', then I agree we've now got a team at that level at least and more than 11 so good alternatives in goal, attack, etc.

The only places we probably need improved cover are maybe DM and RB. Other than those departments, the squad is definitely at the 'good enough for the top clubs in England' level. And a good number you could justify using terms like 'world class' to describe. Which is a really exciting time and shows how well Ole and the rest have done in the market over the last couple of years.

Mr Smith

You be been a bit generous with a couple of our players there. Neither De Gea or Henderson are world class based on the last 12-18 months, and AWB is also still a way off, but your larger point is correct. We are a team to be feared again. Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Rashford, Varane. That team will be terrifying to come up against.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah, we are finally seeing some value for money affer all the misguided investment over the years. It’s great to see us finally turn the corner and target the right kind of players again.. Exciting young team who clearly have a good bond going.

In Rainbows

I don't believe we are. Close, but I think we still lack that top class CM who will gravitate towards the ball always, bail his teammates out with his quick thinking and technical ability, and can help dominate possession.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't believe we are. Close, but I think we still lack that top class CM who will gravitate towards the ball always, bail his teammates out with his quick thinking and technical ability, and can help dominate possession.
Was going to comment something similar. We're very, very close but our midfield sticks out like a sore thumb compared to our competitors.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Based on Carragher's recent debate with Neville read with scouse accent)

"Buy more players? Manchester United is the most expensive squad in the Premier League, Maguire is 80 million, Bissaka 50 million, Lindelof 30 million, Varane 45 million, Pogba 89 Million, Bruno 64 million, Martial 50 million, Sancho 75 million, Fred 50 million, Matic 40 million, seriously, even Luke Shaw is 30-35 million!"

Of course we're stacked. Now is the season to win something, if not we're a total failure.
Oh I think this is a bit extreme. Top four with a proper go at winning the league, progression in the CL to say the last four and decent runs in the two domestic cups would by disappointing, but not ‘total failure’.

Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if it did, I assume ‘total failure’ would mean you demanding a new manager? that would risk destroying all this good work. Remember: Sir Alex Ferguson needed time but then the winning was pretty constant.

meamth

Oh I think this is a bit extreme. Top four with a proper go at winning the league, progression in the CL to say the last four and decent runs in the two domestic cups would by disappointing, but not ‘total failure’.

Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if it did, I assume ‘total failure’ would mean you demanding a new manager? that would risk destroying all this good work. Remember: Sir Alex Ferguson needed time but then the winning was pretty constant.
No no no. Total failure means I won't sack the manager. I love Ole, let's get that out of the confusion.

Total failure means the media storm we will get, banter, and memes.

But then again, being Ole's biggest supporter, I expect him to win something this season, be it League cup, FA cup, the league, CL..this is his breakthrough season.

RedDevilzFox

Talent is there, it was there last season too. Do we have the championship winning mentality, I'm afraid there is no way to know until we win it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We only signed Sancho and varane.

As I have been stating, United fans underate the quality of our team. We have the best defense and midfield in Europe. I don't see any other team that surpass us in both regards.

Only psg have better attack and ManchesterCity if they sign Kane, but we have better defense and midfield than them. Which surprises me towards why we haven't won a trophy yet

LoneStar

Get a world class DM, and our first 11 should be up there with any top team in the world.

Assuming Varane and Sancho click, I honestly believe we can beat any team in a CL knockout. Including PSG or City.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
You have definitely improved your squad. I wouldn’t throw around Super Squad until you win something. I wonder if this puts pressure on Ole to win something this year? With this squad “trust the process” surely is not going to be acceptable at the end of the season if there are no trophies won?

LoneStar

You have definitely improved your squad. I wouldn’t throw around Super Squad until you win something. I wonder if this puts pressure on Ole to win something this year? With this squad “trust the process” surely is not going to be acceptable at the end of the season if there are no trophies won?
Yes, with the signings we made this season, we will be expected to win something soon.

Rojofiam

The majority on RedCafe thinks Chelsea have a better squad than us :houllier: Which I've found absolutely laughable every time

Winning a tournament based on 2-game high-variance knockouts against trash sides (yeah I'm talking about AM and RM) apparently makes you the 2nd best team in England :)

I'd say we have the 4th or 5th best squad in the world with most of our players very young and nowhere near their prime yet

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The majority on RedCafe thinks Chelsea have a better squad than us :houllier: Which I've found absolutely laughable every time

Winning a tournament based on 2-game high-variance knockouts against trash sides (yeah I'm talking about AM and RM) apparently makes you the 2nd best team in England :)
I think we have more depth than you do, that is what is brought up a lot. Nobody has more depth than City. If you have starters get injured, it is a steep drop off. Rotations will also be key when fighting for 4 trophies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We are title contenders. But before we win anything we're just that. Contender.

We could have 11 wc players but without a title we'll be forgotten.

Let's hope we can stay ahead and win the bloody league.

Rojofiam

I think we have more depth than you do, that is what is brought up a lot. Nobody has more depth than City. If you have starters get injured, it is a steep drop off. Rotations will also be key when fighting for 4 trophies.
I agree with Chelsea having more depth, but my view on things is that the quality of our squad (and manager IMO) is still being severely underrated even on this forum.

Not to mention our depth is getting better too. We have Telles, Lindelöf, James, van de Beek, potentially Trippier as rotation options. Looking at our attack, we've got Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Cavani, Martial.

One other thing people neglect (because of the many talents not living up to the hype between 2013 and 2018 IMO) is the age of our key players. Let's say footballers reach their prime when they turn 26-27 and can still be in their prime when they're 31-32. If you look at our squad, most of our key players / huge talents have just entered their prime or they are expected to do so in the next 4-5 years. So, I'd agree with the OP and say that we are looking frightening on paper for the next couple of years. Ole has done an incredible job in building a team that can be one of the very best for 5-6 (or even longer) years.

My point is, having marginally more depth doesn't make Chelsea's a better squad than ours, in my opinion we are clearly ahead of you, whilst the general consensus here seems to be the exact opposite ever since your CL run.

It's difficult to decide due to the different formations the 2 teams play, but who would get into the strongest United 11 from Chelsea in your opinion? I'd say Jorginho, Kanté, Mendy.

Reactions: Penna

ghagua

On paper, the squad looks really good, but every one of them has question marks against them till they prove they can do it the entire season and actually win something.

Cantonaaa!

Not going to comment on the OP, but I do think we have the best group of players, i.e. the best dressing room. Lots of great personalities, some with leader skills and winning mentality all around it seems too. This is a proper team imo, which will count in the long run. Personality and mentality used to be a deciding factor in SAF’s transfers, and I think that has passed on to Ole. There were some questionable buys post SAF but all of Ole’s signings seem to have their head screwed on right.

abailey123

We’ve got a quality squad. The debate on BT yesterday was that we don’t have the squad depth of Chelsea or City and I was sat scratching my head. For me we’ve now got better squad depth than either of these two.

De Gea (Henderson)

AWB (Dalot)
Varane (Lindelof)
Maguire (Bailly)
Shaw (Telles)

Fred (McTominay)
Pogba (Matic)

Sancho (James, Lingard)
Bruno (Van de Beek, Mata)
Rashford (Martial)

Cavani (Greenwood)

simplyared

Yes I reckon we're pretty much complete now as a squad of players. The progress of Fred (who has proved me wrong as a player) Lindelöfs performance yesterday knowing he could be losing his place and the raw talent we have in young Greenwood pleases me most. Also the additions of Sancho and Varane. Fringe players the likes of Martial and James looking sharp and Pogba's happy (for now anyway) There's harmony amongst the players and coaches. Couldn't be better. Yes we're a super squad!

Last edited: