Are we going to spend in the summer?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, the wage bill is a huge problem - one of the highest in Europe by all accounts - a large percentage of which can be attributed to Sanchez' ridiculous salary. We'd go a long way to fixing the wage bill issue if we can somehow move him on over the summer, along with a few other players who are simply not up to standard.
The fact that Pogba supposedly wants parity as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Goodness knows. I'd imagine the only way he will extend his contract would be for that sort of money. Is he worth it?
If Spotrac is correct they are not that far, now would it be crazy if Pogba was between De Bruyne and Sanchez?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What does KDB get? If he gets mega money then he really does need to be the leader of this team, at the moment he isn't.
KDB is supposed to earn 320k, Sanchez 315k, Pogba 290k. These are base salaries, iirc Sanchez has at least two bonuses for games played and goals that can take his wage above 400k, it's probably the same for the others.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
KDB is supposed to earn 320k, Sanchez 315k, Pogba 290k. These are base salaries, iirc Sanchez has at least two bonuses for games played and goals that can take his wage above 400k, it's probably the same for the others.
Not much difference in base salary. It then depends if he would be happy with that or he wants the higher wage regardless of bonuses. It is an awkward one. Sanchez should be paying us.

wolvored

Weird, what’s he going to do, go back to coaching some Australian team or giving talks to school kids in Burnley as a protest?
He obviously can see a big difference from when he was there before and obviously to the detriment of the club.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
The reason we didn’t spend last summer is because Ed et al lost faith in Jose and knew that he wouldn’t be hear for another year (the hope being that he would quit). I have no doubt that cash has been saved up for a bumper budget this summer

Eric's Seagull

The reason we didn’t spend last summer is because Ed et al lost faith in Jose and knew that he wouldn’t be hear for another year (the hope being that he would quit). I have no doubt that cash has been saved up for a bumper budget this summer
Really hope you are right. I think the £100m that was supposedly available for Varane last year should be available and added to top up the transfer budget this year. I am hoping though not expecting too much.

F miah

We need to spend £250m this summer to bring in top quality players, possibly 5.

If Ed and the glazers are not willing to support Ola then why make him the manager. Our net spend was a joke last year and if we really want to challenge for the title then Glazers back Ola!!!

Ola has lot of work to do and I fully believe his the right man.

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

We need to spend £250m this summer to bring in top quality players, possibly 5.

If Ed and the glazers are not willing to support Ola then why make him the manager. Our net spend was a joke last year and if we really want to challenge for the title then Glazers back Ola!!!

Ola has lot of work to do and I fully believe his the right man.
I think that you have made a very valid point with the but in bold and totally agree with it.
They should back him fully in the market and get the right structure in place to help him succeed. Wouldn't want him to fail through not getting backed by the Woody and then being made a scapegoat for Woody to deflect the blame on for the mistakes Woody could make again, which I sincerely hope doesn't happen.

Drz

The problem is identifying players willing to fight for the cause of remaking us a force to reckon with.
I think gettable targets that would improve us could be R.Neves, T.Parthay, maybe Robert Lewandoski, J. Felix, T. Meunier, Wan Bissaka.
Lewandoski and Felix would be the expensive ones. Lewandoski would be a real good value buy though, considering his age/obvious quality and the fact that I guess I want Greenwood to get some game time.
A 442, with a midfield diamond, consisting of Neves sitting deep, with two of Parthey, Fred, McTominay either side of him. Pogba in advanced midfield/10. In the striker positions: Lewandoski and one of Martial or Rashford.

deadrevelz

We will spend. Just not as much as we could and should. We will also sell and release players and the money saved from that will not be used for future transfers.

Litch

The problem might be even more difficult if we are now replacing players we thought were staying as well as recruiting new ones.....

F miah

The problem is identifying players willing to fight for the cause of remaking us a force to reckon with.
I think gettable targets that would improve us could be R.Neves, T.Parthay, maybe Robert Lewandoski, J. Felix, T. Meunier, Wan Bissaka.
Lewandoski and Felix would be the expensive ones. Lewandoski would be a real good value buy though, considering his age/obvious quality and the fact that I guess I want Greenwood to get some game time.
A 442, with a midfield diamond, consisting of Neves sitting deep, with two of Parthey, Fred, McTominay either side of him. Pogba in advanced midfield/10. In the striker positions: Lewandoski and one of Martial or Rashford.
I like the look of Partey alone side Fred, we should be looking to bring two midfielders if we are lettering Herrera go. Maybe someone who’s premiership proven.. sir Alex always payed big money for players in the league ie Rio, Roony..

F miah

Sunday supplement says Pogba wants double his salary now 460k a week.
Let’s not listen to bullshit media.. when Utd ain’t playing they need to find others ways of selling there papers

Un4givableB

Knowing the Glazers they made him manager because they didn't want to spend lots of money, OGS was getting results and playing 'United' football with a bad squad according to Jose. OGS successful start as our manager might
confirm what Ed and the Glazers want to think, that the problem was not the strength of the team(that came 2nd last year) but Jose.

We know better.

MUfreak

We could solve all these problems in one window with a net spend of 300m. IF and only IF we spend wisely, I can see the stars aligning.

- Rabiot on a free (no brainer)
- Alderwield for 25m quids (Steal)
- De ligt/Koulibaly 100m
- Sancho/Dybala 100 - 130m
- Ndombele/Partey 60m
- AWB/Muenier 60m

For creativity in midfield we get Thiago for 80m as first choice or Maddison/Bruno Fernandes for 40 - 60m as second choice.

Outgoings:

Rojo 25m
Matic 30m
Lingard sold for good for 35m
Young 15m
Mata 35m
Perreira 35m
Valencia 20m
Jones 30m
Herrera 45m

With the outgoings, we could be looking at a net spend of about 300m, a good team, dross cleared and look absolutely ready to challenge for top honours.

We could get a line up of:

DDG

AWB/Meunier
De ligt/Koulibaly
Alderwield
Shaw

T. Alcantara
Ndombele/Partey
Pogba

Dybala/Sancho
Lukaku
Martial

Bench:

Romero
Dalot
Smalling
Baily
TFM
Darmian
Rabiot
Gomez
Fred
Sanchez (no team will buy him for what he is on TBH, and I still think that he will come good for us in the striker role)
Rashford
Greenwood
Garner.

Fosu-Mens

Knowing the Glazers they made him manager because they didn't want to spend lots of money, OGS was getting results and playing 'United' football with a bad squad according to Jose. OGS successful start as our manager might
confirm what Ed and the Glazers want to think, that the problem was not the strength of the team(that came 2nd last year) but Jose.

We know better.
Both.

And hopefully most of us understand that we are unlikely to challenge for a major title next season.

buckooo1978

here's a question that bugs me ....

a team like Leicester buy Kante for 5.6 million reportedly

if we were to buy Kante I doubt we pay that price

The Martial deal might be more reflective of the Manchester United tax - we probably did well to get Dalot at 22m too to a degree

because of our status are we incapable of picking up bargains like other clubs?

I doubt we are going to buy 5 players at 50m+

Jacob

Buy these three and we can surround them with our reserves and still challenge

Bruno Fernandes
Rodri
Aouar

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My biggest concern is that we just seem to be repeating the mistakes of the last few years and not understanding our current place in the world. Players are motivated by different things and frankly other clubs are better placed to service some of these needs, so we aren’t going to be first choice for many.

There are better options for players if they are motivated by silverware: City, Barca, Bayern, Juve. There are better options if players are motivated by CL football year in and year out: the same again, but add a few others like Madrid on. There are better options if players want to work with a specific, big name manager. Mou got us Pogba, Zlatan and Mkhi, but no one is being enthralled by signing for Ole really.

We need to be understanding the motivations of players we are attempting to sign. Identify those who are attracted to wearing the United shirt or playing at Old Trafford. Find those who want the challenging of restoring United to the top of the pile. We’re one of the wealthiest clubs in the world, so we can also find those motivated by money. There’s no shame in that, as long as accumulating wealth does actuallly motivate them, as opposed to making them complacent.

I’m also concerned by our very elemntary assessment of players. We’re linked with so many fashionable players who have had a hot season with underwhelming underlying numbers, when there’s more sensible acqusitions out there. I better most would baulk at Ryan Fraser, but he has double Sancho’s expected assists, and is posting numbers that only members of the big six can compete with. He is likely to be a bargain for someone, whereas Sancho’s numbers look incredibly fortunate.

The worst thing we could be doing all summer is chasing names for huge money in unlikely chases, instead of working more smartly. Liverpool have shown what can be done; none of Mane, Van Dijk, Robertson, even really Salah, would have been considered a sexy transfer, but they all looked astute once your scratched beneath the surface.

Eric's Seagull

here's a question that bugs me ....

a team like Leicester buy Kante for 5.6 million reportedly

if we were to buy Kante I doubt we pay that price

The Martial deal might be more reflective of the Manchester United tax - we probably did well to get Dalot at 22m too to a degree

because of our status are we incapable of picking up bargains like other clubs?

I doubt we are going to buy 5 players at 50m+
Think the same and particularly agree with the part in bold. I doubt we are going to buy 5 players at £50m. Out of that £250m minus Manchester United tax (£50m est) we could be stuck with 5 £40m players and these days unless we are good in the market, £40m is in my opinion not particularly a lot of money to try to sign decent players. Also teams know we are desperate and that will reflect on value and they will try to extort even more money again than the players actual value.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Outgoings:

Rojo 25m
Matic 30m
Lingard sold for good for 35m
Young 15m
Mata 35m
Perreira 35m
Valencia 20m
Jones 30m
Herrera 45m

With the outgoings, we could be looking at a net spend of about 300m, a good team, dross cleared and look absolutely ready to challenge for top honours.
Unrealistic.
Mata and Herrera are out of contract and regardless no team is paying those prices for them.
Jones just signed a deal and is injury prone.
Perreira is unproven.
Valencia isn't first choice, has looked terrible and is 33.
Matic is over 30 and looks worse than when he was first signed.

Jezpeza

Unrealistic.
Mata and Herrera are out of contract and regardless no team is paying those prices for them.
Jones just signed a deal and is injury prone.
Perreira is unproven.
Valencia isn't first choice, has looked terrible and is 33.
Matic is over 30 and looks worse than when he was first signed.
Yeah. The notion we could sell most of those players for way more than we paid for them is ludicrous. I play FIFA a lot and even on that you wouldn't sell them for that much. Valencia and Young are worthless, Rojo would fetch about 5m if we were lucky, Matic would sell for 10. Jones probably about 10 as well. Pereira worth 35 based on what? Hes had one nice long range goal for us, but you see those in league 2. Herrera and Mata probably hold most value (if they dont leave on frees) but still, a combined 80m for them?

I see too many fans talking about net spend and what we can sell for. The main thing for us is clearing them off the wage bill, the fees are negligible

Reddevils18

Outs(£47 - 62M):
Antonio Valencia Free
Matteo Darmian Free
Ander Herrera Free
Juan Mata Free
Alexis Sanchez (To China i guess)
Eric Bailly £30-35m
Marcos Rojo £7-12m
Phil Jones/Chris Smalling £10-15m

Ins(£240 - 290M):
Zaha, Aaron wan-bissaka £100-110m
Toby Alderweireld £25m
koulibaly/De Ligt/Skriniar £70-100m
Rabiot Free
Bruno Fernandes £45-55m

Net Spend: (£193 - 228M)

Our Squad will be:
Goal Keepers: Degea, Romero, Lee Grant
Full Backs: Shaw, Aaron wan-bissaka, Dalot, Young
Central Defenders: Toby, koulibaly/De Ligt/Skriniar, Lindelof, Phil Jones/Chris Smalling, Tuanzebe, Timothy Fosu Mensah
Mid Fielders: Pogba, Rabiot , Bruno Fernandes, Matic, James Garner, Scott McTominay, Angel Gomes
Pereira, Fred
Forwards: Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Zaha, Lingard, Chong, Greenwood

We can Replace Lukaku, Matic in next summer transfer window.

Lentwood

The problem is, as I pointed out in my thread “The truth about our spending under the Glazers” is that the £250m that’s being banded around as a realistic figure (and I agree that it is) is probably not a huge amount more than “par” for a top club if you take the last few years (post-new TV deal) as your guide.

I fully expect our “competition” who are already miles ahead of us to go out and spend between £100m-£150m anyway, in fact I would be shocked if they don’t.

Therefore, next season we’ll have all this “oh we’ve spent £250m and we’re still crap...the Glazers have backed the manager....Woody delivered the players” etc...etc...used as a stick to beat the manager but its akin to spending £15K doing up your C-Class Mercedes and then wondering why you’re still losing drag races against your mates Ferrari’s and Lambo’s

It’s all too little too late. If we want a real “game-changing” summer (or couple of Summers) in the way Roman did at Chelsea or Mansour did at City then the price of doing that, taking into account transfer inflation, is somewhere between £500m and £1BN depending on how effective our Scouting network is (so £1BN then!)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The problem is, as I pointed out in my thread “The truth about our spending under the Glazers” is that the £250m that’s being banded around as a realistic figure (and I agree that it is) is probably not a huge amount more than “par” for a top club if you take the last few years (post-new TV deal) as your guide.

I fully expect our “competition” who are already miles ahead of us to go out and spend between £100m-£150m anyway, in fact I would be shocked if they don’t.

Therefore, next season we’ll have all this “oh we’ve spent £250m and we’re still crap...the Glazers have backed the manager....Woody delivered the players” etc...etc...used as a stick to beat the manager but its akin to spending £15K doing up your C-Class Mercedes and then wondering why you’re still losing drag races against your mates Ferrari’s and Lambo’s

It’s all too little too late. If we want a real “game-changing” summer (or couple of Summers) in the way Roman did at Chelsea or Mansour did at City then the price of doing that, taking into account transfer inflation, is somewhere between £500m and £1BN depending on how effective our Scouting network is (so £1BN then!)
Yes and no.
City and Liverpool for example this season are pretty much winning every game. It's been crazy.
Both are well on course for mid 90s points!
They have less room for improvement than us. We have glaring issues.

wolvored

I think alderwierald aside Ole will look for 4 young players to come in a RW/RS RB CM and another CD. If Pogba and/or Lukaku goes this money will be added to the budget and 6 players come in. Its been reported that he is looking to sign 6 with Woodys agreement, so there may be some movement on Pogba and/or Lukaku going.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will we spend... I guess it depends partially on who goes?
We will need a squad of around 25 players - plus some youngsters
probably something like 3 keepers, 9 defenders, 7 midfielders, 6 attackers
and we currently have
De Gea, Romero, Grant
Shaw, Dalot*, Young, Valencia, Darmain
Lindeloff, Jones, Smalling, Bailey, Rojo
Matic, Pogba, Fred, Mctominy, Herrera, A.Periera
Rashford, Martial, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku, Lingaard

Dalot wont count towards 25man squad due to age next year

with J.Pereira. Henderson, Tuanzebe and TFM on loan all of who are now old enough that they will count towards squad numbers.

the players in bold are ones who have been linked with moves away / not having contract renewed so in simple terms you could say we need up to 12 but surely we wont sanction that.

I would expect us to loose Mata, herera, valencia, grant and darmain at the end of their contracts
I would expect us to sell one of Bailey / Rojo... probably Rojo
I would expect us to try to sell one of Sanchez / Lukaku... probably sanchez
I would expect us to extend Andreas Periera by his one year option
I would expect us to keep De Gea and Pogba for next season though there is a real possibility if we dont get CL next season there will be significant bids and should we not qualify for the CL the season after then unlikely we can keep them
I would expect us to give J.Pereira the 3rd keeper spot
I would expect us to try to loan Henderson, Tuanzebe and TFM again

this would give us a squad of
De Gea, Romero, J.Pereira
Dalot*, Shaw, Young (new full back)
Lindeloff, Jones, Smalling, Bailey (new CB)
Matic, Pogba, Fred, Mctominy, A.Periera, (new defensive mid, new center mid)
Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Lingaard, (new wide attacker)

that would be 24 man squad but supplemented by the likes of
Laird, Garner, Chong, Gomez, Greenwood

Thats 5 players in with budgets i would guess of
Full Back - 25-50m seems to be ballpark for a good fullback these days and guess of 150k per week
CB - 50-75m again seems to be broadly the figures again 150k per week (alderweireld would provide a cheep option)
Defensive mid - perhaps 25-50m (possibly even promote TFM but I dount it) perhaps 150k per week
center mid -50-75m could be significantly more i guess depending who they went for possibly 200k per week (rabiot could provide a cheep option on a bosman?)
wide attacker 100m+ maybe 250k per week

that could be a spend of around £300m and 900k a week?

offset somewhat by the fact that the wages for Mata, Herera, Valencia, Darmain, Rojo and Sanchez would be off the books which I would guess is around 1m a week? and I think perhaps we could get something in the region of 60m for Rojo and Sanchez?

net spend of around 250m and wages stay roughly in line... would be a big spend but I think we need something like that given how competitive the premier league is right now.

Last edited:

Nikelesh Reddy

Looking at the current squad there are clear weaknesses and gaps. Mainly RW, CB and RB.

Now consider we sold Fellaini in January. It looks as though we are struggling to tie down new contracts with Herrera, Mata and De Gea.

Valencia is set to leave. Darmian and Rojo are basically dead wood. I think most fans would like to see the back of Jones and Young.

At this rate we need 5 players just to get the squad back to the same numbers as before.

This looks like a major building job to me and I cannot see the Glazers giving the money required to sort this out. Our transfers this season have been nothing short of atrocious. Net spend is around £40m this season, West Ham spent the same on Felipe Anderson. We bought in two first team players. Fred is not even considered a first team player even though he cost over £50m. Dalot is very young and only had 9 first team appearances when we bought him. He may become the best RB in the world but he wasn't what we required in the summer. We have played all season with no decent RB.

My point is if we keep changing manager that is not going to make a difference if we don't get better players, players that stay fit, players who have the right mentality. With the current market we need to be spending circa £200m to sort this out, which just isn't going to happen.
The important question is whether we are going to spend big money without appointing a DOF/Sporting director??We can’t just entrust a manager with 300 million quid....Most managers are simply not equipped to spend such money wisely without help from above.

It would be ridiculous to repeat the same mistake again and again and again.We have to appoint a top class DOF before we start splashing the cash on players this summer....

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We absolutely need to upgrade or we will certainly fall even further behind City and Liverpool.

Right back, centre back, centre mid & right wing are all an absolute must.

Problem is, we've not just got a lot of deadwood, we've got a lot of deadwood on high wages. Will take some shifting.

Onerealunited

We’d at least get 3 players unrelated to who leaves this summer. A fullback, a center back and a winger/attacking midfield will most likely be bought.

I think the CB will be an experienced one. We cannot afford to gamble with another CB. The offensive player will most likely be a young player while a am a bit unsure about our choice towards a full back