Are we physically and athletically the meekest squad in the league?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We've played: Wolves, Spurs and Forest in our opening games and watched all three sides power through us with sheer physicality with a level of frequency that you can't and shouldn't brush over. It's clearly a problem for us that our own tactical set ups exposes and highlights for the league at large, ironically.

In this system, it is essential that each player wins, or solidly contests their 1-on-1's - any time a team breaks rank, whichever player is nearest the ball is supposed to race to the opponent and either win his contest outright, or be enough of a physical force to contain the opponent until the calvary arrives. We're patently awful at this. Utterly dire to the point it's fair game to ask what goes on in training for us to be so bad on an either or scale.

City are a very easy example of what is supposed to happen when an opponent breaks rank and is free of the press; players like Walker, Ake, Rhodri all prove to be physical obstacles in their own right. Winning physical contests against such players is incredibly difficult in its own right and you can see the self-doubt so many opponents have when trying to discern where the most prudent space to attack is or who the weak link to target might be.

Physical contests are supposed to go: man or ball, never both [through]. You power through and physical overwhelm, or, if incapable of that, tactical foul. Whichever option chosen, the ball will rarely breach tactical lines with an opponent attached to it. We're sieve like in how we allow opponents to attack the space (big ups for Boss; gone but not forgotten), being physically incapable of overpowering, outpacing or clashing shoulder to shoulder in that devious manner that refs struggle to card.

Condensing the above into examples of our own in times gone by:

A Stam sends you to your maker.
A Rio makes you avoid his area of the pitch entirely.
A Vidic cannot wait to physically engage.
A Brown is coming through, and one of you might be out the game afterwards.
An Evra swarms.
A Heinze is putting his body on the line.
A Giggs is most likely not only faster than you, he's also going to win the ball cleanly in a few seconds if you don't release it.
A Valencia, you go as far in-field as possible against.

The gist is clear; in their own way, the vast majority of our successful teams were physically oppressive and intimidating, which in turn caused doubt and hesitation, the kind of hesitation seen in other teams now and most definitely not in ours.

Varane used to be up there in terms of raw physical presence with that aura reserved for a Rio or pre-injury Van Dijk. These days, not so much. Kyle Walker has pretty much forged a reputation as a terminator in terms of what's coming if a player breaches the line on his side of the pitch. It's a well earned reputation that has earned his team so much more respect and time to form defensive shape.

I don't know who you back in our team when it comes to raw, athletic contests? AWB is great 1on1, but we see how meek he can be in tussles themselves - he doesn't contest the man; he's just extremely adept at tackling. Like him or loathe him, McTominay is probably the only player I can think of that I'd think supposed 50/50 tussles can go either way with. His issue is positioning and reading of the game as opposed to how well he'll do when directly engaging with an opponent. Shaw is the only other one in the squad, for my money.

Athletic prowess isn't the be all and end all of anything, but it is always the most hallowed combination: athletic players who are also technically adept simply make life easier for their team. Equally so, a lack of raw athleticism demands an extremely high level of technical excellence to compensate - "turbo midgets" were often cited as the counter measure to athleticism, but what is often oversighted is that said turbo midgets are often top percentile in terms of agility and short-burst acceleration (speed over the first 20m of a sprint), which means they can stick to players and make life really difficult in terms of playing through them and not incurring at least a systematic tactical foul. For myself, this is an often overlooked aspect when a midfield or attack is considered physically weak and/or lightweight. You get enough of these types together, and you have the consummate unit for the high press. It's very odd to get rid of our best high presser, if that is how we wish to play.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thread is simple: are we the least physically and athletically unimpressive squad in the league? If you say no, please state whom you believe is meeker. Athleticism is definitely not in short supply in this league - we determine who is rubbish in it by their technical ability and efficiency; it's a rare case indeed for any side to be said to not be up to par physically. Another way to phrase this is: taking our exact tactical set up and replacing our players with those of the others in the league, who would be as easily breached and susceptible as ours?

Oscar Bonavena

I'm not sure if there's a current team in the PL physically weaker, they all seem to put some emphasis of having physically strong athletes throughout their team, and if they have good technical ability too, that's a bonus. Even City, the best technical team in the league, are full of physical strength with Rodri, Grealish, Haaland, even de Bruyne is a physically strong player.

The closest example I can think of is the Arsenal squad from the late noughties to mid teens, when for some reason best known to himself, Wenger abandoned signing physically strong players like Vieira, Petit, Gilberto etc who had brought him such success, and started signing a plethora of small, tricky wingers and attacking midfielders (Sancho would fit right in to that Arsenal team).

Net result, Arsenal became so easy to play against, won f**k all for a decade, took regular batterings from us, Chelsea and Liverpool, and the sum total of their ambition became to finish 4th, and even that was beyond them in Wenger's final seasons.

So, we've basically let ourselves become that Arsenal team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yes, easily. The poster above is on the right line with the Arsenal comparison.

It's a big part of why we get bullied so easily away from home and are terrible on set pieces.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its hard to find players who are both good at football and are strong/physical specimen. But if we want to add one, start from DM since thats the position if it gets bullied the whole team gets bullied. Casemiro these days look so weak compared to his peak that its actually sad to see.

Chief123

Ironically, the best team in the league who are the best from a technical perspective are arguably also the best physically. It’s something I raised in another thread where I stated Man City are probably the best team at set pieces now.

Akanji
Dias
Ake
Walker
Stones
Gvardiol
Rodri
KDB
Grealish
Haaland
Alvarez

All of the above are strong, physical and athletic. We lack this too much.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ironically, the best team in the league who are the best from a technical perspective are arguably also the best physically. It’s something I raised in another thread where I stated Man City are probably the best team at set pieces now.

Akanji
Dias
Ake
Walker
Gvardiol
Rodri
KDB
Grealish
Haaland
Alvarez

Even someone like Bernardo Silva, while small, was surprisingly tenacious and physical.

Cloudface

We had a rubbish pre-season schedule and were unfit. We've looked progressively sharper as the games have gone on and I expect we'll look a lot more on pace next month.

Grande

No, this is gibberish. Wan Bissaka, Varane, Martinez, Shaw and Casemiro are all incredibly difficult to get past with the ball in a one-on-one. This was not our problem last season. The opening games, we have been physically not ready (a whole other problem) until yesterday. Yesterday we were mentally not at the races the first three minutes, the only ‘defender’ that was passed in those minutes was Rashford, sleeping in his role at a corner, then A braindead Wan Bissaka barged into Martinez with Casemiro ballwatching for the second (this is also not the same issue). After that United had generally full control over Awonyi and Forest on transition. The very little trouble they sometimes got, came from overturning the ball too easily in bad moments, a whole other issue completely.

Rossa

I’ve voiced the same concerns earlier; fools seldom differ.

I’d argue only Casemiro, Shaw and Varane are physical. I expect them to win their physical duels. Casemiro will most likely get out paced, however. Martinez is aggressive and therefore gets away with his size.

We are also a fairly slow team. Our fullbacks are ok, but nothing spectacular. Our central midfield isn’t slow, bar Casemiro,but it lacks physicality. Only Rashford has real speed up top, and even he is no prime Bale. Hopefully Højlund can improve our physicality a little.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Akanji
Dias
Ake
Walker
Gvardiol
Rodri
KDB
Grealish
Haaland
Alvarez

Yep. Pep has long worked it out that you need both in the PL. It's frustrating that we still don't seem to have noticed.

Jig1234

Yes, we have too many lightweights, but it's not just about physicality. Utd lack technical footballers. One of the reasons why I don't think our football or play style has progressed. We don't have footballers who love the ball at their feet, either have players who are not very good on the ball or are dribble, forward passing focused.

We don't have players who can turn with the ball, who are comfortable with both feet or who can handle being pressed or closed down. We rely on the ball moving from back to front as quickly with the least amount of passes as possible.

You don't need to have a team of all 6 foot, giants, you can navigate that with players with quick feet and agility who can also keep the ball. Ball retention is very poor at Utd. If you can't control the game or ball. We are in danger.

It would be good to have more ball players, someone who can control the ball and give us more possession based football approach. Amrabat would be a massivee help, but I actually think mainoo would also be a big player for us, once he is back.

theballisround

Look at that squad and really think if there's one player you would take to back you up in a fight on a Friday night, it will answer your question.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don’t know about that but we look very one-paced at the moment. Hopefully Hjolund helps with that.

SER19

It's very strange, I thought we had rectified this last season. A back line of AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw all like to get stuck in, Casemiro and Fernandes too and then you can allow that lots of wide players are less physical. Back up like Dalot, McTominay, Fred were all also physical and high energy.

At present, we look like the most unfit team in the league and have lost that physical edge that marked Ten Hag's best spells last season.

JeffFromHK

I had the same feeling too watching our last 3 games. We are like Arsenal in early 2010s

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'll trade you all the physicality you want for good positioning, anticipation and an eye for second balls. It's not about outmuscling the other guy. On most occasions, it's about getting on the ball first. For example, in possession, (someone like) Gundogan will beat (someone like) McTominay for a second ball 8/10 times. You know who was one of the best players in the PL for possessions won in the final third before the Klopp/Pep era? Mesut Ozil. Think about why is that. It's also weird how people remember things. Especially toward the tail-end of SAF's tenure, United were far from physical monsters.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Only saw the MOTD highlights, but they showed some instances of Casemiro and Eriksen just not tracking runners, jogging, getting barged out the way, and generally being everything you don’t want in a midfield. We badly need to get them some help before the window closes.

Old Ma Crow

It’s unfair to criticise ETH’s signings in general as lightweights. Only Malacia and Eriksen are. He’s inherited the rest of them.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
City is not very physical either but they have that kibd of mental robustness we lack. Just look how Rashy tried to win the ball for the 1-0, it is what we see all the time. They are not willing to go all the way and invest all

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s unfair to criticise ETH’s signings in general as lightweights. Only Malacia and Eriksen are. He’s inherited the rest of them.
Well Casemiro looked like a 50 a day smoker at times yesterday. Ten Hag signed him.

Oranges038

I'll trade you all the physicality you want for good positioning, anticipation and an eye for second balls. It's not about outmuscling the other guy. On most occasions, it's about getting on the ball first. For example, in possession, (someone like) Gundogan will beat (someone like) McTominay for a second ball 8/10 times. You know who was one of the best players in the PL for possessions won in the final third before the Klopp/Pep era? Mesut Ozil. Think about why is that. It's also weird how people remember things. Especially toward the tail-end of SAF's tenure, United were far from physical monsters.
That for me is a massive annoyance.

Total lack of positioning and awareness of where the ball will go, not willing to make the effort to get their first.

On the physical side, it's quite clear a lot of these players just don't have the strength and desire to compete with players who like to make it about physicality.

CM

I would definitely say so in the middle third of the pitch. I think it's making us look weak everywhere too. It wouldn't be so pronounced if we had a couple of robust midfielders in there but at the moment all we have is a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch. The likes of Mount, Fernandes, Eriksen and even McTominay are so flimsy.

There were countless examples of it in the first two games against Wolves and Spurs but the Awoniyi goal yesterday was the most stark one. We're hugely susceptible on the counter and all it takes is a half decent dribbler, pace merchant or a bulldozer to run right through our team. We'll continue to haemorrhage chances until we fix that.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Well Casemiro looks unfit, which is pretty crap considering how much he is paid.

Aside from that, I don't see a big issue tbh.

avgp_1

Dont think we have meek players, but unfit yeah.

Our fitness is not in line with how we want to play, with the focus on transitions and heavy press. The intensity needs to last more than 60 minutes in a game

Eddy_JukeZ

It's hard to disagree. We haven't looked good physically thus far. Even Rashford has looked leggy at times.

I do think we lack athletic players for the style we want to play, but it'll look better with Hojlund and Mount in the fray.

didz

I think Ten Hag's teams have historically been slow starters haven't they? He had some surprising early-season results against Eredivisie minnows at Ajax, while at Utrecht he was sat on a point after his first 3 matches two years running.

We're probably just seeing the team coming off an intense preseason, the benefits of which may become more visible later on (hopefully next Sunday).

cyberman

Which sides are less athletic than ours?
I’m not up on the athletic index but Shaw, AWB, Martinez, Varane, Rashford, Hojlund and Bruno are all athletic. Mount does an incredible amount of work on the pitch as well.