Are we seeing an increase in nice managers (yes men) within football?

meamth

It's simple is it?

The higher the reputation/longevity/legend status at the club, the more outspoken you can be.

Put that into the modern day, where there is no longer long term manager, the outspoken nature is dead. Now we're all YES men.

Close thread.

dal

Airing company conflicts in public is not classy and it’s unprofessional. How can a manager be taken seriously by his players when he slags off the board in public.

Having disagreements in business is vital. Being professional and delivering a unified message in public is professional.

It definitely does NOT mean you are a YES man.

Crustanoid

I’d just like to see Ole put a bandana around his head and go Full Rambo.

He could take down the Glazers, then storm the FA headquarters, smash every ref on his kill list who has wronged us, pick them off one by one before the final gripping standoff scene with Ed which ends with a swift kick to the testicles.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I’d just like to see Ole put a bandana around his head and go Full Rambo.

He could take down the Glazers, then storm the FA headquarters, smash every ref on his kill list who has wronged us, pick them off one by one before the final gripping standoff scene with Ed which ends with a swift kick to the testicles.
Now we're talking!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont think its yes men.

I think ever since Pep clubs have been willing to give that chance to ex players to manage clubs.

Arteta, Zidane, Ole, Pirlo even a manager like Southgate might act like Yes men - but that's because they might feel like they have to more often because of their lack of credentials when times get rough. When things are good are they still yes men? Not really because then we assume that they do good work because they know the history of how the club should be run. When things gets hard and a manager doesnt get the player he wants - say Ole for Sancho or Grealish vs Mourinho for Maguire; Ole or any other manager on that level is not always going to feel that they can argue that they should be backed for a 80 million pound transfer just as an example in comparison to Jose, Pep or Klopp.

Being a manager used to be a hard thing to do. Now its not so hard as long as you have an interest in it. In our SAF 99 winning squad Ole, Butt and Giggs have moved into management with 2 argued at points at taking over United.

EngimaMK

I was thinking today how odd it is that we've seen a rise in yesmen as managers of big clubs over the past few years. It seems like a total shift from an era defined by coaches whose competitiveness often caused rifts both at player and board level. You know, the type associated with old school managers like Fergie (disputes with Magnier about the horse), Wenger (complaining all the time) and of course Mourinho, who has seemingly dialled back since he went off the rails during his tenure here.

With all due respect to Ole, and not meaning to get into negative criticism of him as our manager, I think we're all agreed that one of the reasons he's still in the position is because of his willingness not to rock the boat with Ed and the Glazers. I'm sure he was as annoyed as most posters here that he we didn't get a right winger this Summer but we didn't hear a pipe out of him about it. Just that cheeky grin he does. The cheekiest of all grins.

Southgate is another as he's footballing manager equivalent of a head prefect, especially compared to stronger international managers like Deschamps and Luis Enrique. Lampard is possibly another - basically somebody who's so happy to be where he is that he doesn't make any criticism of the club hierarchy. Not that Chelsea need it right now but I couldn't imagine him doing it even if they did. Arteta is in this exact same mould too.

Of course not all managers are this way. We still have madmen like Bielsa and Simeone. Pep wouldn't hold back. Klopp too and also Dyche who seems to have some leverage given how much he's overachieved at Burnley in recent years.

Still, I can't help but think there's been an increase in managers who are reluctant to ever step out of line. Charismatic personalities like it seem to be on the wane in the new era of what defines a football manager.

Is it the amount of money in football now which has created a need for people who just get on with the football side of things?
Fergie spent his last few years defending the Glazers to the ends of the earth. He never criticised them.

Whether he genuinely believed it or just didn't want to rock the boat is another matter...

Crustanoid

Yep, was looking for someone else before I posted. Thought they had a once in a generation group of talent coming through
Yemen will win the WC2030?- I’m going down the bookies and will bet my house on this

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Fergie spent his last few years defending the Glazers to the ends of the earth. He never criticised them.

Whether he genuinely believed it or just didn't want to rock the boat is another matter...
In fairness to Fergie, I assume he probably learned after the Magnier thing. It was a big issue and widely noted to cause consternation within the club.

Still, the issues with Becks happened after. His later tenure included some other fallouts with players - Pogba (first time) and Von Mistelroum.

Last edited:

Gazza

I feel like changes in football reflect changes in society, to a great extent.

Twenty years ago, managers (or "bosses") were probably a bit more direct in how they could talk/direct their staff. I think now there is a much bigger focus on employee rights and workplace conduct.

Roy Keane talks about Brian Clough punching him in the dressing room and how that would never happen today, and I think the same applies to other management dynamics, where civility and respect are now prized over older "manager as despot" modes.

SER19

The money is a factor but I think the world has changed. Maybe being a ranting alpha Male isn't the only way people feel they need to act in order to be successful anymore ?

Don't think any of the examples in OP were 'ranting alpha males.' Ferguson projected an incredibly strong image balanced with a soft touch, love of wine and his interest in history books was known. He was more complex than that.

Wenger was absolutely not ever an 'alpha male'.

I think overall fans project too much onto managers based on their own bias and snippets of almost always boring press conferences where people expect too much

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can’t wait for Mata to become a manager