Andrer Herrera - 182cm
Daley Blind - 180cm
Antonio Valencia - 179cm
Andreas Pereira - 178cm
Mkhitaryan - 177cm
Ashley Young - 176cm
Jesse Lingard - 174cm
Juan Mata - 170cm

Only Daley Blind, Valencia, Pereira, Mkhitaryan, Young,(who will probably leave) Jesse Lingard and Juan Mata are under 6 feet.

I tried to work out our average height for this coming season but I got an average of 192cm?!
Maths is really not my strong point to say the least so I'm probably wrong.

Last year West Brom had and average height of 186cm in the PL. Surely if we buy Matic and Perisic (which looks likely) we will overtake them. Not to mention if we re-sign Zlatan in January. As well as adding Lukaku and Lindelof.

Anyway I don't really know what else to say. I was bored so I decided to make this thread.

I guess, we will really be imposing this season, whilst being relatively good on the ball. I'm looking forward to us dominating teams and bullying them off the pitch.

Last edited:

prath92

Think it comes to 184cms not including matic perisic and Zlatan? Including them it comes to around 185?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Think it comes to 184cms not including matic perisic and Zlatan? Including them it comes to around 185?
According to TalkSport our average height last season was 183.2cm. Adding Lukaku 191cm, Matic 195cm, Perisic 187cm and Lindelof 187cm will surely bump us up quite a bit?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Having the tallest team is nothing to brag about lol.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I tried to work out our average height for this coming season but I got an average of 192cm?!
Maths is really not my strong point to say the least so I'm probably wrong.
That's true. Awful at math :)

Take the heights (for example 194 and 160) and add them together. Then divide by the number of observations - in this case it's two. (194+160)/2 =176cm

Then there are stuff like standard deviation and other statistical tools to use.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I don't know why some posters get upset at the thought of a big, phsyical team, we've never been a club to play with a team wholly made up of 5'8 highly skilled umpa lumpas.
Both Sir Alex & Mourinho have built successful PL winning teams based on phsyicality, our much praised 1993-1995 side could boot you off the park as much as they would play you off it for example.

Both Mourinho & SAF stated in the past you have to earn the right to play your pretty football in the league by winning the physical battle first, something Arsenal and their multiple teams of super pussies still havent grasped.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Do you have an issue with it?
What relevance does it have?? Are people saying the taller the team we have, the more chance we have of winning something? I'd like to see the science behind this? At the end of the day it's all about performances on the pitch and getting results. If height improves our chances then great, but this preoccupation with having a tall side is pointless if we don't win games.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What relevance does it have?? Are people saying the taller the team we have, the more chance we have of winning something? I'd like to see the science behind this? At the end of the day it's all about performances on the pitch and getting results. If height improves our chances then great, but this preoccupation with having a tall side is pointless if we don't win games.
I don't know what having a tall side means for our chances of winning. I was asking him as it wasn't something to brag about.

frank lee madeer..

It's not based on anything scientific, but in these days of less contact , I'd guess that having tall players is of little importance. Obviously in defence you need some height, but in the middle of the park you need mobility.
Pitting giants against nimble types , is likely to result in a lot of fouls being awarded against you. I think it's human nature for the referees to favour the smaller guy in a 50/50 challenge.
The only real advantage I can see of having the tallest team , is if you plan to play football in the clouds. On the flip side , you don't want a team of midgets, ability not stature should be the deciding factor when picking a team.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
6' is 183cm isn't it? In which case Darmian and Herrera don't quite make it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not based on anything scientific, but in these days of less contact , I'd guess that having tall players is of little importance. Obviously in defence you need some height, but in the middle of the park you need mobility.
Pitting giants against nimble types , is likely to result in a lot of fouls being awarded against you. I think it's human nature for the referees to favour the smaller guy in a 50/50 challenge.
The only real advantage I can see of having the tallest team , is if you plan to play football in the clouds. On the flip side , you don't want a team of midgets, ability not stature should be the deciding factor when picking a team.
I agree with this, less relevant these days. And of course, as with everything - balance is key. As a poster said, you have to 'earn the right to play your pretty football', but that's of less use if there isn't enough beauty in the team when you have it (which we invariably do most of the time).

I remember City's midgets giving us an absolute lesson in the first half at Old Trafford last season too, we couldn't get near them.

Not sure where Mkhi falls, but other than him, everyone Jose has signed here (and is pursuing, by the sound of things) seems to have to be tall as a criteria.

Hoof the ball

I believe that when you combine physical factors such as height, size, strength and speed with technical qualities then you do increase your chances of winning.

1. Having tall, big and strong players allows you to physically wear down the opponent and their stamina. Tackles, 50/50's and duels take more out smaller players.
2. Having tall, big and strong players, in some respects, mentally affects the smaller opposition in some way. It's psychological too.
3. Having tall, big and strong players allows for variation in tactical approach, whether on the ground or vertically, providing your tall players match smaller players technical standard.

I hated United playing the mid to early 2000's Arsenal because they matched us on a technical level and physically we couldn't match them man-for-man. We had the quality to beat them, thankfully, but my point is this. We, and others, psychologically dreaded playing that big, tall, fast, technical, strong Arsenal.

frank lee madeer..

I think this thread is a good compliment to my muscle mass thread. Yeah, we're building a squad for battle.
Unfortunately for us , footballing abilities trump battling abilities on the pitch.
It's the battling mentality you want , that is something that isn't size dependant, being physically big is of little use if you're a pussy cat.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree with this, less relevant these days. And of course, as with everything - balance is key. As a poster said, you have to 'earn the right to play your pretty football', but that's of less use if there isn't enough beauty in the team when you have it (which we invariably do most of the time).

I remember City's midgets giving us an absolute lesson in the first half at Old Trafford last season too, we couldn't get near them.

Not sure where Mkhi falls, but other than him, everyone Jose has signed here (and is pursuing, by the sound of things) seems to have to be tall as a criteria.
Or good footballers.

Ibrahimovic - One of the best strikers of this decade.
Pogba - Technically one of the best.
Bailly - 6.2 isn't very tall for a CB and also he is good with the ball

Lindelof - 6.2, not very tall for a CB and apparently good with the ball
Lukaku - 6.3, only inch taller than RVP and RVN. It isn't like he is come Crouch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Or good footballers.

Ibrahimovic - One of the best strikers of this decade.
Pogba - Technically one of the best.
Bailly - 6.2 isn't very tall for a CB and also he is good with the ball

Lindelof - 6.2, not very tall for a CB and apparently good with the ball
Lukaku - 6.3, only inch taller than RVP and RVN. It isn't like he is come Crouch.
Good footballers is a basic criteria, and isn't linked to height. It seems Jose prefers his good footballers to be tall as opposed to the many short ones. Which is fair enough tbh.

Dante

Average bang
It's better to have big technical players than small technical players. The fetishisation of Barcelona has scrambled the brains of half this forum.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Having the tallest team is nothing to brag about lol.
Why isn't it? Is it not hip anymore to have a team capable of scoring and defending aerially?

Dominos

Well that's great. Are they capable of looking on someone on TV and doing a measurement more precise than people that... well... actually measure him.
You can't honestly believe he's 6ft 1? That's centre back height, and Shaw doesn't even look tall for a full back.

Skills

Snitch
That's true. Awful at math :)

Take the heights (for example 194 and 160) and add them together. Then divide by the number of observations - in this case it's two. (194+160)/2 =176cm

Then there are stuff like standard deviation and other statistical tools to use.
:lol:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
In all seriousness, our side next season could be huge.

DeGea(189cm)
Valencia (179cm)
Shaw(185cm)
Bailly(187cm)
Lindelof(187cm)
Matic(195cm)
Herrera(182cm)
Pogba(191cm)
Rashford(185cm)
Lukaku(191cm)
Perisic (187cm)?

Valencia would be our smallest player but he's an absolute monster so...

gr3yham3

We have to take advantage of this by having better deliveries and set pieces into the box. The corner that Pereira took and Lukaku scored from is a good example. Sometimes scoring from open play is tough if teams sit back with 10 men behind the ball. Scoring from a set piece will be a good way to take advantage of teams who rather concede free kicks and corners, and they will then have to push forward more for the equaliser. Will also help a ton in tight away games. I find people too fascinated with how pretty a goal is - a goal is a goal, no matter how the ball ends up in the net.

ti vu

6' is 183cm isn't it? In which case Darmian and Herrera don't quite make it.
Both are 6 ft. Both are thin with Herrera having weird posture (crouching) make them look shorter than they really are.

DDG height is what always feel untrue for me. By some account he is 6'4 which is same as Neuer, but he's shorter than than our 6'2 players as I see it.

Last edited: