Are we unlucky with referees in UCL?

Denis' cuff

God this one is crazy

Another one for Madrid. Suspiciously bad.

As bad as the Mendes one at OT was, you can see from the Lino’s position/angle that he couldn’t see it cross the line for definite, which he has to do. Bad positioning, in that he couldn’t be certain it had crossed. Again, he only gets to see it once, live, split second. No matter how many times we see it, with umpteen replays, decades on, of course it looks ridiculous because it was clearly over. To award it he had to clearly see it cross the line and because he was badly positioned, couldn’t be certain in a split second.

Maybe he blinked.:)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That narrative of the game is new to me. I remember some complaints that they were nibbling at Rooney's ankle because they knew it was already injured. The idea they were repeatedly committing textbook yellows to break up our counter attacks is not one I can recall seeing mentioned. Most of the moaning on here is about how it was never a yellow and the Bayern players pressuring the ref ("typical Germans") made it one.

If the argument is that Bayern got away with several yellow cards that night, then that may well be the case, I'd have to rewatch it. If the argument is that Rafael's foul wasn't a yellow, then that's just wrong.
Van Bommel specifically. I don't remember bayern as a team being cynical, but I do remember Van Bommel repeatedly escaping yellow cards for yellow card offences, only for Rafael to be sent off at the very first opportunity.

XH6

It seems like every club thinks refs are biased against them but most of the refereeing mistakes tend to even out imo. Even in the Madrid vs Bayern matches last year, Bayern got a ridiculous penalty in the first leg that Vidal missed, the other penalty for the Robben foul was somewhat debatable, and Vidal should have been sent off earlier for a second yellow card worthy foul at the start of the second half. Going back to Chelsea vs Barcelona, Ballack should have been sent off in the first leg, Barcelona should have had a penalty for Bosingwa pulling back Henry, and Abidal shouldn't have been sent off in the second leg.

The Nani and Rafael red cards were a bit harsh but I don't think you can say they were definitely wrong and there's probably just as many decisions, such as the Evra foul on Ramires in 2011, that went the other way

Baby Groot

Yes, refs are beased against United just look at the the VAR decision yesterday, it was obviously no off side if the footage was used properly the goal would have stood. But no the refs went out off there ways to ensure the call would be contrary to all evidence. Its just similar to normal courts where judge and jury out of their ways handing out sentences thaat are contrary to mounting evidence that somone has commited a serious crime. Because it might not fit their agenda if they handed out the correct sentence.

Giggs86

Nothing beats this. .

This shit annoys me more than it should because I'm sure that we'd have beaten Chelsea in that final.

But yea, this is as close as it gets to open corruption in the modern era of European football. It was clear as day that UEFA couldn't allow an all-English final with the same two teams two years in a row.

killerboi2

Van Nistelrooy fouled Pedro Emanuel before Scholes scored
If that's a foul then you might as well not make football a contact sport. Don't know how things are in the Portugese league but even CL refs aren't soft enough to give that as a foul.

Classical Mechanic

Yup. No matter how much we may complain, this tie was as close to corruption as I can recall.
That interview makes him even more suspicious.
Proper dodgy. That interview is so defensive as well. On one hand he flatly admits one of the worst refereeing performances of all time but on the other hand he just seems too defensive.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea would argue, ghost goal at Anfield, v Barca at home, I'm sure they'd point to others
Its quite probably that it didn’t cross the line but had the goal not been given, Chelsea could have been facing a penalty (for the upending of Baros) and a red card for Cech. In that case, some may argue that Chelsea got the better decision as there was still another 90 + minutes to play.

Schneckerl

Nani in '13 gets extremely overrated.

Scholes in '04 is the big one. 1000 x more impact.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
If that's a foul then you might as well not make football a contact sport. Don't know how things are in the Portugese league but even CL refs aren't soft enough to give that as a foul.
He extended the arm when Pedro Emanuel was in the air and pushed him off, not the clearest of fouls but it was still a foul imo

AimeduSable

Supports
Real Madrid
What people forget to talk about in 2013 against RM is that, Nani should not have been sent off yes, however both United goals in 180 minutes were against the rules as there was an RVP-offside just before the Ramos own goal and the first goal happened after a corner that was none.

Giggsyking

What people forget to talk about in 2013 against RM is that, Nani should not have been sent off yes, however both United goals in 180 minutes were against the rules as there was an RVP-offside just before the Ramos own goal and the first goal happened after a corner that was none.
And the referee in the first leg ended the match 1 minute earlier at a corner kick for united, and the most strange referee decision in the first leg when Evra was cutting clear to Madrid's goal then brought down and instead of giving a red card to madrid's defender Evra gets a yellow card!!.

Real Madrid's fans should thank the uefa for so much help over the years.

Trizy

Chelsea being denied 3 penalties vs Barcelona, 2 in which were stone wall.

We would've beaten Chelsea in the final and claimed our 4th CL instead of meeting and losing to Barcelona.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe slightly off topic, but I remember when Van Persie was sent off for Arsenal against Barcelona for kicking the ball away...

For the record I didn't think Nani's challenge was a red card, but it's not as clear-cut and he did give the referee a decision to make. People were also angry about De Jong's challenge on Alonso at the world cup that the referee didn't send him off.

Not always easy being a referee, they can only see it once.
To be fair to De Jong, Alonso did jump into his studs chest first. That's just reckless!

MrPooni

Planet Football have done a great breakdown of that infamous Chelsea/Barca semi if anyone's interested:
http://www.planetfootball.com/quick...eeing-mistake-chelsea-barcelona-2009/#new_tab

Drogba's rant is still burned in my memory

I was there for Moscow and Rome too and like other's have said here I believe in my heart of hearts we would have beaten Chelsea in the final that year. That would have been number four in the bag along with the honour of being the first club to defend the Champions League. It's a disgrace – a fecking disgrace.

dogwithabone

Darren Fletcher's red against arsenal. Understandable call from the ref. But for uefa not to let him play in the final was a joke when the decision was so clearly wrong

That really marred how I felt about that win. Over the moon we stuffed Arsenal and got to final but I was gutted for Fletcher. He was phenomenal that night and for the time he was on the pitch that has to rank as one of his greatest performances for us.

Hughie77

Porto and the Departivo games I was at, only saw the replays afterword... the guy was sent off in the Lacaruna game. Beckham broke his toe. The Scholes goal to go 2-0 was crucial in that game. And if I can remember they were Russian officials, and later I think same season Russian officials were banned for reasons I can't remember.. Nani was unlucky with his red.

Sylar

The nani one I was furious at the time but I can sorta see why a red could be given in a European tie now.
The first leg however. Varane taking down Evra who was through on goal and nothing was given. Should have been a free kick and a red. And the ref blowing early as we had a corner at the end was even stranger.

Fletcher being sent off was a piss take. But again, I can see why the ref gave it. Whats annoying is that decisions like that cant be over turned.

The chelsea match vs Barca was just mistake after mistake. On top of all the stuff that went against Chelsea, didnt the ref send off abidal(?) for a pretty much nothing challenge.

crossy1686

career ending
I think all clubs can at some point say they were robbed in the CL thanks to some dubious decision making.

The problem lies more with the quality of refereeing in other European countries. Imagine reffing a game between two of Hollands relegation fodder then being thrown into Chelsea vs Barcelona? The selection process should be much more rigorous.

Only ref's from the top 4 leagues should be allowed in a league system where they are given points for correct decisions and docked points for incorrect decisions, along with training on what is a foul/booking/red card in the CL to remove any subjectivity. If we ended up with the same 4 refs doing every game, no one would give a shit as long as they get things right.

Inter Yer Nan

Chelsea Barca 09. Always sticks with me as the first time I thought the CL was rigged. Conspiracy alert!

Realistically speaking they had 2 clear cut penalties denied and the ref was letting Barca get away with murder across the field, whilst any niggling tackle from a Chelsea player was immediately blown for a foul.

I was fuming with the Nani one as many others were at the time. But I can see why it was given even if I don’t agree with it.
Yeah, I truly believe something was up that game. Like UEFA didn't fancy a second consecutive United-Chelsea final. I think there's always favorites played but that one seemed even more blatant than just favoritism.

We got the shaft in 2004 (Scholes), 2010 (Rafael), 2013 (Nani), but they were mostly single decisions. Although terrible decisions that was the difference between advancing and not we've probably never been shafted the way Chelsea (2009) or Arsenal (vs. Barca 2011) have.

Hitchez

The Bayern one was very annoying given how that season panned out. Rafael being sent off after Bayern spent the entire game assaulting Rooney was really pissing off.

The Chelsea v Barca game was also annoying not least because I felt we could have beaten Chelsea had they reached the final:angel:

Dominos

Chelsea being denied 3 penalties vs Barcelona, 2 in which were stone wall.

We would've beaten Chelsea in the final and claimed our 4th CL instead of meeting and losing to Barcelona.
The arrogance is amazing on here. Not just people assuming we easily beat Chelsea in 2009, but I see so many assuming we easily beat Inter in 2010 and assuming we'd have gone all the way and won it easily in 2004 too. What was best was Ferguson claiming we'd have won the CL in 2012 had we got out the group stages :houllier:

We're marginal favourites against Chelsea in the final but it's whoever shows up on the night. Hiddink only lost one match since he took over that season, won the FA Cup, even without the several penalties they could have beat Barca about 4-0 in the 2nd leg, and Avram Grant was a penalty kick away from beating us a year earlier.

The chelsea match vs Barca was just mistake after mistake. On top of all the stuff that went against Chelsea, didnt the ref send off abidal(?) for a pretty much nothing challenge.
This is always mentioned. However, if the ref gives the penalty on Drogba in the first half for the shirt pull and trip, he gets a red card a lot earlier in the game.