Are you confident of success in the INEOS era?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They need to be more ruthless and proactive with managers. I don’t like this system under the Glazers where we give them performance clauses based on Champions League qualification or something and then seemingly chain ourselves to them. God knows how many seasons could have been turned around if someone with balls just sacked the manager at the time and got a new one. We wait far, far too long to do anything.

Can you imagine Real Madrid tolerating the risk of not making Champions League football? They’d sack the manager and hire a new one in the blink of an eye to try turn things around. We just seem to sit there and accept our fate.
They sacked a manager for winning the champions league!

Fallon d'Floor

Because we’re hiring a bunch of people to set a way of us playing and then we hire a manager who doesn’t match that. Surely it makes sense to get the people to set the template of what we want and then replace the manager (which is a costly thing to do).

Firing managers costs a lot.
ten Hag only has a year left on his deal. It's not that expensive. They'll be signing players for a lot more money than what it costs to sack him.

If INEOS continue on with ten Hag beyond this season, my confidence in them would plummet to 0%. He has to go. I get the impression that you don't mind ten Hag?

pascell

I expect they'll keep ten Hag another season, simply because they'll want the structure in place (including Ashworth) before choosing the next manager.

I also think we're a good 3 seasons away from challenging, I expect the likes of Villa, Chelsea and Spurs to be stronger and more consistent next season, which increases the bar set to better.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
ten Hag only has a year left on his deal. It's not that expensive. They'll be signing players for a lot more money than what it costs to sack him.

If INEOS continue on with ten Hag beyond this season, my confidence in them would plummet to 0%. He has to go. I get the impression that you don't mind ten Hag?
The sacking Ten Hag bit isn’t what I’m on about. It’s hiring someone else who doesn’t match the new structures vision and then sacking the new manager.

For me, get the structure in place and let them call the shots.

Shark

@NotShark
I expect they'll keep ten Hag another season, simply because they'll want the structure in place (including Ashworth) before choosing the next manager.

I also think we're a good 3 seasons away from challenging, I expect the likes of Villa, Chelsea and Spurs to be stronger and more consistent next season, which increases the bar set to better.
You honestly think new ownership that'll want to quickly make a statement of intent going forward, will just ignore current results and performances because of structure? because if that's the case we're truly doomed.

OsloRed

I think the point is that hiring a new manager before the structure is in place is a risk. If that manager doesn't fit and doesn't work, that will be an expensive mistake. More importantly, it'll have cost us a lot of time. But this point has been made several times over the last couple of pages.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think the point is that hiring a new manager before the structure is in place is a risk. If that manager doesn't fit and doesn't work, that will be an expensive mistake. More importantly, it'll have cost us a lot of time. But this point has been made several times over the last couple of pages.
This is my point exactly.

Fallon d'Floor

The sacking Ten Hag bit isn’t what I’m on about. It’s hiring someone else who doesn’t match the new structures vision and then sacking the new manager.

For me, get the structure in place and let them call the shots.
But the new structure will be hiring him. Wilcox is already here and City are allowing Berrada to move on amicably. Ashworth can make decisions from the shadows. There is no way that he's not in regular contacts with Sir Jim. He will be getting regular updates from Wilcox on things. Football is a shady business. INEOS already have a big database and tools to aid them with decision making.

It would be depressing to see ten Hag in the dugout come August.

OsloRed

You honestly think new ownership that'll want to quickly make a statement of intent going forward, will just ignore current results and performances because of structure? because if that's the case we're truly doomed.
I'd say that's the smart way of going about it. Sacking EtH and hiring a new manager now would be doing the same thing we've done the last ten years. INEOS is actually making meaningful changes to the organization around the first team, and making big decisions right now before it is in place would be to shoot themselves in the foot. It's painful right now, but they believe the course they've set us on will be better in the long term. Walking towards the right decision, not running to the wrong one as Ratcliffe said.

AndySmith1990

I'd say that's the smart way of going about it. Sacking EtH and hiring a new manager now would be doing the same thing we've done the last ten years. INEOS is actually making meaningful changes to the organization around the first team, and making big decisions right now before it is in place would be to shoot themselves in the foot. It's painful right now, but they believe the course they've set us on will be better in the long term. Walking towards the right decision, not running to the wrong one as Ratcliffe said.
Ten Hag is clearly not the right man though, whether we're walking or running to the next destination. No amount of trying to rationalise it with talk of structure gets around that cold hard fact

Shark

@NotShark
You cannot give a manager that's being dominated by championship level sides home and away, another season. There's nothing smart whatsoever about that. We're essentially saying that we should just plod along regardless of results and performances because our previous set of below par managers failed also. Madness.

Rojofiam

They need to be more ruthless and proactive with managers. I don’t like this system under the Glazers where we give them performance clauses based on Champions League qualification or something and then seemingly chain ourselves to them. God knows how many seasons could have been turned around if someone with balls just sacked the manager at the time and got a new one. We wait far, far too long to do anything.

Can you imagine Real Madrid tolerating the risk of not making Champions League football? They’d sack the manager and hire a new one in the blink of an eye to try turn things around. We just seem to sit there and accept our fate.

Fans need to get the Ferguson comparisons out of their heads. He was a pretty hotshot manager before he even stepped foot in Old Trafford. He was not some average joe manager who magically blossomed into the GOAT manager just because United persisted with him.
Real Madrid haven't had to worry about top 4 in La Liga for about 20 years now. The Premier League is a totally different ballgame. Says it all that they wouldn't be higher than 3rd this season if they played in it instead of La Liga.

OsloRed

But the new structure will be hiring him. Wilcox is already here and City are allowing Berrada to move on amicably. Ashworth can make decisions from the shadows. There is no way that he's not in regular contacts with Sir Jim. He will be getting regular updates from Wilcox on things. Football is a shady business. INEOS already have a big database and tools to aid them with decision making.

It would be depressing to see ten Hag in the dugout come August.
They might hire a new manager in the summer, but it takes time to put a new organizational structure in place. Wilcox being here now means the work has started, but it will take time. Hopefully we see some improvement in recruitment this summer, but expecting everything to be in place just because Wilcox and Berrada is in their offices is unrealistic. We need to be patient.

I want to see change in the managerial position too, believe me, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see ten Hag here in August. That wouldn't make me believe INEOS is just as bad as the Glazers, however.

Fallon d'Floor

They might hire a new manager in the summer, but it takes time to put a new organizational structure in place. Wilcox being here now means the work has started, but it will take time. Hopefully we see some improvement in recruitment this summer, but expecting everything to be in place just because Wilcox and Berrada is in their offices is unrealistic. We need to be patient.

I want to see change in the managerial position too, believe me, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see ten Hag here in August. That wouldn't make me believe INEOS is just as bad as the Glazers, however.
I'd retire from watching football. Each to their own.

OsloRed

Ten Hag is clearly not the right man though, whether we're walking or running to the next destination. No amount of trying to rationalise it with talk of structure gets around that cold hard fact
You cannot give a manager that's being dominated by championship level sides home and away, another season. There's nothing smart whatsoever about that. We're essentially saying that we should just plod along regardless of results and performances because our previous set of below par managers failed also. Madness.
I agree that he isn't the right man. I was originally answering to people wanting the decision to be made right now, which I disagreed with. I do believe that he is a better manager than the results this season would indicate but I think it has gone too far and would take a miracle to salvage at this point. However, making decisions before structures have come in place could be disastrous. Wrong steps now could have us being in a similar situation in a year, and that would be an expensive mistake to make. I'd rather give ten Hag some more time, even into next season, while Wilcox and Berrada (when he starts) gets the structure functioning. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'd rather we get a manager in this summer but the market is hard right now, so who knows what it looks like in two months.

pascell

It's been reported many times INEOS will leave the decision up to the people within the new structure.

Dan_F

Yes and no. Sacking him now is pointless. Looking for a replacement is essential. I hope this is taking place behind the scenes, because other clubs are getting their ducks in a row, and we will find ourselves with an ever decreasing pool of candidates.

Unlesss, that is, INEOS is waiting for Southgate.
I’m sure they are, but there will be a period of waiting to get the right people through the door first. Realistically, Wilcox is the first person in who is qualified to in put into these kind of decisions and he joined last week. It won’t be Brailsford or Jim choosing the manager, rightfully so.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Hiring any manager in any context is a risk, such a moot point.

Hammondo

They aren't all here yet, so someone has to make a decision and stop dithering. It's cost us champions league football.
There is no way they were going to make that decision early enough to give us a chance of CL, who would they even get in? That would have been a panic decision and have looked really weak.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
There is no way they were going to make that decision early enough to give us a chance of CL, who would they even get in? That would have been a panic decision and have looked really weak.
Does it matter? There are managers all over the top leagues, many of whom are doing better than ETH who can come in. There are even very well regarded managers who are out of a job like Conte who could have been an interim.