Are you optimistic about the new season?

Parma Dewol

I'm optimistic about the new season, and why not? We managed second place last time around with a lot of players underperforming. I'm also not bothered about the lack of high-profile signings - if anything, I'm hoping it could be a blessing in disguise. It seems like we've been waiting for someone to come in and ignite the touch paper, but we've been doing that for years now and it hasn't exactly worked. Perhaps it is time to look within and get the best out of the squad we already have.

Excited to see if Pogba can push on after an immense World Cup. Between him, Matic, Herrera, Fred and Fellaini, we should have every scenario covered, there's plenty of strength, guile, tenacity and vision among those five.
Excited to see Sanchez after having a summer off. Joining in January was never ideal and I think he could hit the ground running in this campaign. Visa issues aside, of course.
Excited to see what Martial can do this campaign. Expecting big things from him, if he can get his head right and start putting in a shift, he could be amazing.
Excited to see if Rashford can take the next step. If he can add some consistency to his play, he could be a massive asset. Rash, Martial, Sanchez, Lukaka. Wowzers, if those four sing to the same hymn sheet, we will be immense.
Intrigued to see how Dalot shapes up. From what I hear he has huge potential, and rotating him with Valencia could help get the best out of both players.
Intrigued to see if Shaw can finally sort himself out. It was a terrible injury and you feel for the lad, but it's now or never and, to be fair, he looks up for it this season. Could he be the world-class left back he was once certain to be?
Intrigued to see if we can cement a centre-back pairing. How we kept such a defensive record with so many injuries last year I'll never know, but we can do better and a consistent pairing at the back will help the midfield move forward. Lindelöf and Bailly, perhaps?
Intrigued to see what impact the new backroom staff will have on our play; I reckon there could be some surprises in our general play and in particular our set pieces.

Can't wait for the season to kick off.

Le Red

I'm optimistic about the new season, and why not? We managed second place last time around with a lot of players underperforming. I'm also not bothered about the lack of high-profile signings - if anything, I'm hoping it could be a blessing in disguise. It seems like we've been waiting for someone to come in and ignite the touch paper, but we've been doing that for years now and it hasn't exactly worked. Perhaps it is time to look within and get the best out of the squad we already have.

Excited to see if Pogba can push on after an immense World Cup. Between him, Matic, Herrera, Fred and Fellaini, we should have every scenario covered, there's plenty of strength, guile, tenacity and vision among those five.
Excited to see Sanchez after having a summer off. Joining in January was never ideal and I think he could hit the ground running in this campaign. Visa issues aside, of course.
Excited to see what Martial can do this campaign. Expecting big things from him, if he can get his head right and start putting in a shift, he could be amazing.
Excited to see if Rashford can take the next step. If he can add some consistency to his play, he could be a massive asset. Rash, Martial, Sanchez, Lukaka. Wowzers, if those four sing to the same hymn sheet, we will be immense.
Intrigued to see how Dalot shapes up. From what I hear he has huge potential, and rotating him with Valencia could help get the best out of both players.
Intrigued to see if Shaw can finally sort himself out. It was a terrible injury and you feel for the lad, but it's now or never and, to be fair, he looks up for it this season. Could he be the world-class left back he was once certain to be?
Intrigued to see if we can cement a centre-back pairing. How we kept such a defensive record with so many injuries last year I'll never know, but we can do better and a consistent pairing at the back will help the midfield move forward. Lindelöf and Bailly, perhaps?
Intrigued to see what impact the new backroom staff will have on our play; I reckon there could be some surprises in our general play and in particular our set pieces.

Can't wait for the season to kick off.
Count the "ifs" in your post and you will see why most people are not optimistic.

TrueRed79

Not optimistic after transfer window (so far) and hangover from WC from some of our players. Glaring holes in our squad that haven't been addressed. Massive gap to close on City from last season. Can anyone honestly think that we are good enough to mount a proper challenge this year? Can't see it myself, unless we sign a CB, LB and someone of the ilk of Bale.

Le Red

Four "ifs"; 8 reasons to be excited/intrigued.
I think you need to count again. Also this kind of list could have been made in each of our prior 5 seasons. Excitment and intrigue too often turn to nothing.

Canuckred64

The transfer window closes in three weeks. In all honesty if the window closed today and we played Leicester tomorrow, we would struggle to equal what we did last year. I am still optimistic or hopeful though that United will add two or three players that will improve the odds for success.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The only 'if' that was ever in question during Ferguson's era was if we'd win the title or finish a close 2nd
You'd think so, right? Actually, there was constant uncertainty at around this time every year. We had a good chance of winning the title if Ronaldo found some end product. If Giggs could sort out his hamstrings. If we could get one more season out of Keane. If we could finally find an adequate successor to Schmeicel. If Fergie would stop playing one up top and go back to 442. If the fecking Glazers would spend some money etc. etc. etc.

Craig Ward

You've just run Guardiola's name through the mud by putting him in the same bracket as no marks like Klopp and Poch. Then you've talked about how Mourinho is 'restricting' Pogba despite Pogba being a defensive no.8 for France and being heralded for his maturity on the pitch.

You aren't too negative, you just make things up.
Your missing the point I'm afraid.

Pogba is an excellent player, he showed that at Juve and in glimpses for us as well as being a mainstay in France's midfield. Pogba is capable of being world class, but he doesn't look like hitting his potential under Mourinho.

Have I made that up? Pretty factual for me. Pogba is capable of more, and Mourinho cant (or has yet too) get the best out of him. Same for lots of utd players, not many are playing to they're potential.

Has Sanchez shown top form? Did Miki? Are you telling me that we are making the best use of Bailly/Shaw/Martial/Rashford?

Todd

As the squad stands today, I'd expect us to perform slightly worse than we did last year, unless I'm really underestimating the impact Fred can have on our midfield.

Honestly, if we expected to go toe-to-toe with City we'd need like 5 or 6 class players coming in. LB, RB, CB, CM, RW.

Jericholyte2

There is a part of my that's crying out, "We need new signings!" but I do also think the additions of Fred and Dalot will help a lot.

Our starting line-up would still be good (hopefully they've been working with Sanchez on the left):

De Gea

Tony/Dalot Bailly. CB. Shaw (if he keeps his fitness up and works hard)

Fred. Matic. Pogba

Sanchez. Lukaku. Martial

Now maybe it's just me but that is a damn good team. Whilst the fullbacks could ideally be replaced with ready made talents, there is still a hell of a lot of talent in this team.

Don't forget Matic won't have to cover as much ground with Fred providing energy. Herrera ready to slot in as needed. An enthused Lingard after his good World Cup. Rashford looking to prove he's worth a place.

There is still plenty to feel good about with this team.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Imagine how exciting it would be as a United fan to see our season play out with a back line of;

Dalot.....Bailly.....Lindelof.....Shaw

Not a single demonstrably reliable one amongst them, but they're all so talented. (I include Dalot on reputation rather than what I've personally seen)

There's an 5-8 year defence right there. yet we're far more likely to see;

Valencia.....Smalling.....Jones.....Young

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Optimism seems very low at the moment but it shouldn't be so much simply because of limited transfer activity. I think there is a hell of a lot more to get out of our current squad so signing more players may not be the best option, although we definitely need a few new defenders (especially full-backs). Then again, the reason we are under-performing I believe is down to poor management, so why would that change? Especially when we see him getting his excuses in early and acting so downbeat. The guy has about 1% of the charisma he once had.

I'd say the worst things got for pessimism that I can remember were the Summers' of 2014 and 2006. 2014 was horrible as we were't signing anyone having had a poor Summer the year before - I remember feeling like a marquee signing for United was a distant dream. Still, there was a late flurry of activity which caused real optimism, just only after we'd already dropped 7 points out of 9.

2006 was really bad. In an era when we were losing out to clubs because our spending was far less, when we got seriously out-spent by Chelsea yet again I recall optimism being at a near all time low. I remember Daniel King at the Mail predicting us to finish 5th and loads of United fans in the opinion column agreeing with him.

I don't think optimism is ever going to be at Summer of 2007 levels as we know whatever happens we aren't going to be seeing brilliant football. It's just hope that you have, that maybe we can find some consistency and see more games like the 3-2 at City or 2-1 over Spurs. I am quite hopeful of that regardless of new signings. I actually think we have some brilliant players who at the end of last season were nearly all under-performing. It's our full-back situation I feel we absolutely must address, and we need a leader in the centre of defense. While we were under performing up-top, we over performed at the back. Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Rojo and even Young (as a starter) just aren't at the required level for me.

If we can get a settled and balanced top 4 then maybe we will see more positive tactics. It's not the lack of transfer activity that gets me downbeat though, I just don't have much faith in Mouriniho.

laughtersassassin

This right here is the main reason for why i got 0 excitement. This back four should have never been seen again 4 years ago but year after year it is our main back four. Its truly like an 8th place standard back four. We have better players on the bench who I would much rather see grow than watch these players who are either age past it in Valencia's case or consistently failed us in Jones' case.

space

Not even one bit, we are going to struggle if we don't get in a quality CB and RW. We still didn't get rid of a lot of the deadwood either... Our fullback situation is the same minus Dalot but he is a kid..

SillyUsername

In short, not in the slightest. While we persist with duck eggs like Jones, Smalling and Fellaini we just won't compete. Add to that Rashford who has somehow wormed his way into being our set piece taker and there really isn't too much to be excited about. Since the sacking of Moyes, I found the coming season the hardest to part with my cash for a season ticket. I'm still questioning whether or not it was a good idea because I'm starting to get sick of it. Would love to be proven wrong.

Bwuk

Really don’t think we are anywhere near challenging City.

Far too reliant on Pogba continuing his World Cup form, Lukaku to step up a level, and Sanchez to stop being absolute gash.

We have the likes of Smalling and Jones as regulars at CB - laughable. They’ll get defended on this forum but for me our Cb options bar Bailly are poor.

We don’t have a left back - Shaw can’t be relied upon. Valencia only goes backwards and his legs were beginning to show towards the end of last season.

I don’t think our squad has a set style of player, we just seem to be a complete mis match of players.

Stadjer

Not really.. Fred might improve the midfield but likely needs some time, Alexis had time to adept to the team and hopefully Pogba will keep his WC form but besides that not much has changed. City was untouchable last season and bought even more players, Liverpool signed a lot of players who could turn out to be very good and even Arsenal and Chelsea made some changes which will likely improve their teams. I dont think Spurs have done much so far though...

So far we havent improved the left and right back position which both need improving (unless Dalot turns out to be starter/ top player) and no new centrebacks to improve on Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Blind. Neither have we signed someone for the right forward spot.

Im not part of the Mourinho out brigade but if expect that we will mostly play boring/defense football with this team and still wont win anything of note. Hopefully i will be proven wrong though..

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not particularly optimistic, no. I recognise the gap that existed between us and the PL winners last year, I see the changes we've made thus far and I don't think they're anywhere near enough. Maybe that will change over the next few weeks, maybe it won't. I think that fairly pessimistic outlook is a pretty rational one to take though.

However, I am very excited for the new season, which is slightly different. This feels like it could be a defining season for Mourinho as Manchester United manager, where he either has enough success to justify his position or fails in a way that casts serious doubts over any progress we've made under him. Either way, it should be enthralling to watch it play out.

Canagel

Imagine how exciting it would be as a United fan to see our season play out with a back line of;

Not a single demonstrably reliable one amongst them, but they're all so talented. (I include Dalot on reputation rather than what I've personally seen)

You could put Tuanzebe and TFM somewhere in there as well. We absolutely need to move on from this dead Fergie era back 4. They are holding us back massively. Time to freshen up the defense.

LeftyBlaster

Your missing the point I'm afraid.

Pogba is an excellent player, he showed that at Juve and in glimpses for us as well as being a mainstay in France's midfield. Pogba is capable of being world class, but he doesn't look like hitting his potential under Mourinho.

Have I made that up? Pretty factual for me. Pogba is capable of more, and Mourinho cant (or has yet too) get the best out of him. Same for lots of utd players, not many are playing to they're potential.

Has Sanchez shown top form? Did Miki? Are you telling me that we are making the best use of Bailly/Shaw/Martial/Rashford?
Exactly this. Glad more people are seeing it this way. Our problem is more poor coaching than lack of signings. Not saying that we don’t need a new RB or a RW. We do. But the rest of the squad is by and large really good.

The Mad Manc

I'm seriously concerned by the lack of activity in the market. So far we've only signed one player that immediately improves our first XI. That is not enough to catch City. Not even close.

For me this summer's window is critical. It probably needs to be a record spend and what's really concerning is that the club doesn't seem to recognise this. We lack the ruthlessness of a top tier club. So much deadwood remains (FA Cup final back 4, Darmian, Fellaini, Mata). These players should be sent packing and improvements signed. Flash the cash! We've got it! Hearing reports that we're unwilling to meet prices (Sandro, Perisic) is boiling my blood. Where's the ambition?

It's less than 3 weeks until the window closes. If there is no serious movement then the only way I'll feel excited about the team is if we consistently use players like TFM, Pereira, Shaw, Dalot, Lindelof and give chances to Tuanzebe, Gomes and Chong. Seeing Young et al trot out every week will be depressing.

The Mad Manc

Aye. Imagining more likely than seeing

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Im always optimistic about new seasons until we get to game 2 when we scrape a draw against Brighton then get beat the following week at home to Spurs.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
ntrigued to see if Shaw can finally sort himself out. It was a terrible injury and you feel for the lad, but it's now or never and, to be fair, he looks up for it this season. Could he be the world-class left back he was once certain to be?
World class? He’s yet to show he can play for side with serious aspirations of qualifying for Europe. He’a a full back with non-existent attacking output. I think he’s had three assists in his entire career. I did count them at one point.

edgar allan

Neither of those back 4 options look at all secure. Your back 4 would be exciting and untested for sure.
Have you seen much evidence of Shaw post injury being the talent that we paid 30 million for. It's a bit of a stretch to imagine that Lindelof will turn into a commanding world class centre half and we can only hope that Bailly's form last year was a blip.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Based on last season’s performances that would have to be the worst central defensive pairing in the top five teams of the Premier League. If not, the top half.

Obviously, you can see that the two of them have a lot of potential but we'll need to see them deliver that on a consistent basis and the best way for that to happen is getting a load games with a solid, reliable and experienced partner. The fact that we've barely anyone in our squad who fits that description (Smalling, at a stretch) really shows up what a cluster-feck our options are in defence.

And that's without even getting into the Hobson's choice at full-back, where you've preferred an injured teenage debutant and someone who seemed to be on his way out last season (with major questions about his fitness and motivation) in preference to a pair of converted wingers in their 30s.

Feck me, our squad really is a shambles...

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I always try to be, but this season has a lot of unknown factors for me to be certain. We need Pogba to step it up at least one more level, we need Fred to fit in, Shaw to finally make it, a few centre backs to stay fit for long enough to form a strong partnership, Sanchez to finally arrive.

I’m staying optimistic but it’s difficult when our manager is always so pesimistic.

Litch

Based on last season’s performances that would have to be the worst central defensive pairing in the top five teams of the Premier League. If not, the top half.

Obviously, you can see that the two of them have a lot of potential but we'll need to see them deliver that on a consistent basis and the best way for that to happen is getting a load games with a solid, reliable and experienced partner. The fact that we've barely anyone in our squad who fits that description (Smalling, at a stretch) really shows up what a cluster-feck our options are in defence.

And that's without even getting into the Hobson's choice at full-back, where you've preferred an injured teenage debutant and someone who seemed to be on his way out last season (with major questions about his fitness and motivation) in preference to a pair of converted wingers in their 30s.

Can't argue with that. Cant blame recovering players from the WC exploits on this....

Hellboy

Not confident at all because of the options at the back : Valencia, Smalling, Bailly, Young is a Europa League defense. The less said about Shaw, Jones & Rojo the better. Not good enough for a title challenge, not in a million years.

We need at least 3 players to push for the league, ideally : Alderweireld, Sandro or Tierney & a pure winger to actually get some good crosses to Lukaku.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The club is taking a hell of a risk with the transfer strategy (or lack of) this summer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is Ed the only one that handles Tra after business? Learnt he's with the squad?

edgar allan

It's all true sadly. I had a little bit of optimism last week before I came back on here and the reality was shown.
At least we will have plenty to complain about this season