Arsenal 2023/24 - Have bottled the Champions League and are Bottling the League (arse rattled)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Much rather see them win it than City or Liverpool.
Me too. Also I don't know if it's because last season humbled them but their fans on RedCafe are far less annoying than some of the other fanbases, majority are quite sound.

Rojofiam

They are playing some top football off late and you have to wonder with everything working for them, if they don't win it now then when.
They not only have a really good squad, it's very young as well. They threw it away last season, and are going to be there towards the end this season as well. I don't see how they don't win at least 1 title in the next 5 years.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I have been mightily impressed with thier mentality this year off the back if last seasons drop in form in the closing weeks.
They've focused more on the positives of last years campaign and built from there, whereas other clubs may have lingered too heavily on the disappointments.

Anyway, anything's better than the Berties or Scousers winning it.

AshRK

They not only have a really good squad, it's very young as well. They threw it away last season, and are going to be there towards the end this season as well. I don't see how they don't win at least 1 title in the next 5 years.
That's a good point but things change quickly in sports. You don't want to be a nearly club and players become frustrated. I feel this is s great year for them to get it done. City don't look all that good and Liverpool are having an injury crisis and will have to worry about other competitions.

I know arsenal fans will get defensive when I say this but injury wise they have been quite lucky compared to other big clubs this season. Imagine losing Saka odegaard saliba and rice all at once. Yes they have lost some players but none of them are really that big like city losing kdb or Liverpool losing their key players.

Rojofiam

That's a good point but things change quickly in sports. You don't want to be a nearly club and players become frustrated. I feel this is s great year for them to get it done. City don't look all that good and Liverpool are having an injury crisis and will have to worry about other competitions.

I know arsenal fans will get defensive when I say this but injury wise they have been quite lucky compared to other big clubs this season. Imagine losing Saka odegaard saliba and rice all at once. Yes they have lost some players but none of them are really that big like city losing kdb or Liverpool losing their key players.
Yes, I think if they lose Saka/Saliba/Rice for an extended period of time, it's probably over. If they manage to keep the squad relatively healthy, especially those 3 in my opinion, then they have a good shot this season.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal

Injury records are still quite often based on the players we or any team have. I believe some of our key players are more reliable. If we relied on Partey, ESR and Tomi to carry us through the bulk of our games, that would be a disaster. We have actually done that in the not too distant past with key players. Most of those players you named are fairly reliable (so far) although the Saliba injury obviously affected us last year. I don't think Rice had a significant injury before he joined us this year.

Having said that we lost Timber to an ACL injury. He was looking like our best summer transfer before that happened. Glad to hear he will be coming back to training soon! I think Partey has played a handful of games. I take your point about luck but the players you rely on game in game out are also part of the equation.

This is also part of Man City's dilemma I feel. They definitely look better with KvB but he has not always stayed healthy in recent years and if he goes down again, I feel City might be vulnerable. But would that be bad luck on City or should they have foreseen this possibility?

AshRK

Injury records are still quite often based on the players we or any team have. I believe some of our key players are more reliable. If we relied on Partey, ESR and Tomi to carry us through the bulk of our games, that would be a disaster. We have actually done that in the not too distant past with key players. Most of those players you named are fairly reliable (so far) although the Saliba injury obviously affected us last year. I don't think Rice had a significant injury before he joined us this year.

Having said that we lost Timber to an ACL injury. He was looking like our best summer transfer before that happened. Glad to hear he will be coming back to training soon! I think Partey has played a handful of games. I take your point about luck but the players you rely on game in game out are also part of the equation.

This is also part of Man City's dilemma I feel. They definitely look better with KvB but he has not always stayed healthy in recent years and if he goes down again, I feel City might be vulnerable. But would that be bad luck on City or should they have foreseen this possibility?
No one foresee any injury. Do you think Manchester United would have forseen losing Martinez to a serious injury last year or losing Mainoo at the start of the season to a freak injury or they wouldhave forseen their 5th choice Evans being playing as a CB for numerous games. Do you think Liverpool yesterday would have forseen losing Jota and Jones in the same match. Injuries happen and some teams are unfortunate and some are lucky. For a team to have a top season they need a stable playing 11. I feel in that regard arsenal have been lucky and hence deserve to take advantage of winning the league (which was the original point).

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
We've been anything but lucky with injuries (we're currently without Gabriel Jesus, Zinchenko, Partey, Timber, Tomiyasu and Fabio Vieira - that's more than £200m of talent and most of those would get a significant number of starts) but yes, missing a Rice, Saliba, Gabriel or Odegaard for an extended period would hit us. On the other hand, is there any team you could not say that about? You have to manage your squad and it's definitely a good thing that we've been able to protect players by bringing them off when we're 4-0 up - not something we could have done when coming back from 2-0 down against Bournemouth.

Things might change now the Champions League is back. Let's see!

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Our boy Sambi looked good for Luton today. Bossed the midfield in my opinion and was popping up everywhere.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
Our boy Sambi looked good for Luton today. Bossed the midfield in my opinion and was popping up everywhere.
Yeah he’s been playing really well. I wonder what the plan is for him? Partey and Elnenny are both looking to be out the door. So I’m assuming the club plans on keeping him. But Arteta doesn’t seem to love him. So idk. I hope the club keeps him

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah he’s been playing really well. I wonder what the plan is for him? Partey and Elnenny are both looking to be out the door. So I’m assuming the club plans on keeping him. But Arteta doesn’t seem to love him. So idk. I hope the club keeps him

I suspect they will try to hold on to Partey. If Jorginho goes, it might be tempting to bring Sambi back in as a backup.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I suspect they will try to hold on to Partey. If Jorginho goes, it might be tempting to bring Sambi back in as a backup.
I think Partey is definitely getting moved on this summer. 200k per week for a player that is always injured is holding us back.
Jorginho will get an extension and Lokonga is just not good enough. Ligue 1 or Forest/Everton type of move for him.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah his physical attributes are there for all to see, made more obvious by United's lack of physicality in midfield IMO. But unfortunately for Sambi I don't think he has the technicality or intelligence to play the way Arteta wants.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
No one foresee any injury. Do you think Manchester United would have forseen losing Martinez to a serious injury last year or losing Mainoo at the start of the season to a freak injury or they wouldhave forseen their 5th choice Evans being playing as a CB for numerous games. Do you think Liverpool yesterday would have forseen losing Jota and Jones in the same match. Injuries happen and some teams are unfortunate and some are lucky. For a team to have a top season they need a stable playing 11. I feel in that regard arsenal have been lucky and hence deserve to take advantage of winning the league (which was the original point).
Martinez might be an issue injury track record worry if you ask me. Mainoo is very young and I have no idea if he might end up being injury prone. Jota and Jones...I dont consider them key players for Pool, for key players for that team, I am looking at Salah, VvD etc..

It's the same on our team. Martinelli is more likely to get injured than Saka...just the way it is and part of that is durability but also how they take care of themselves out there. Not to say that the likes of Saka and Rice do not get a serious injury...it is imo just less likely.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I think Partey is definitely getting moved on this summer. 200k per week for a player that is always injured is holding us back.
Jorginho will get an extension and Lokonga is just not good enough. Ligue 1 or Forest/Everton type of move for him.
200k is a fair chunk but if it is to play a bit part role it is not crazy considering his level of experience. I have heard rumours of Jorginho wanting to go to Italy so I am not sure he will be around next year. Unless we go full out for a Zubimendi or someone of that profile in the summer, I suspect we will see Partey back....could definitely be wrong. That whole middle of the park has been a mystery to me.

I still believe and hope we go full out for a proper forward to lead the line next season. Enjoying this little switch off play Trossard and Havertz have going at the moment but who knows if that will keep going for the rest of the season.

AshRK

Martinez might be an issue injury track record worry if you ask me. Mainoo is very young and I have no idea if he might end up being injury prone. Jota and Jones...I dont consider them key players for Pool, for key players for that team, I am looking at Salah, VvD etc..

It's the same on our team. Martinelli is more likely to get injured than Saka...just the way it is and part of that is durability but also how they take care of themselves out there. Not to say that the likes of Saka and Rice do not get a serious injury...it is imo just less likely.
Martinez was hardly injury prone before his serious injury last season. He played most of the matches and was our most important player. Even the new injury he got is a freak one. That is why I said no club foresee any injury to their key player.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Me too. Also I don't know if it's because last season humbled them but their fans on RedCafe are far less annoying than some of the other fanbases, majority are quite sound.
Might be speaking too soon here.

If we're still playing like this in a couple of months time I reckon we'll see another increase of arrogant, Arsenal supporting newbies.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really? I find them the worst of the oppo fans.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
Partey shouldn't be renewed for his injury record alone. I could live with a one-year extension or something.

Jorginho for another year would be great too.

I'm still not convinced Sambi has the quality to play any kind of role. He's improved but I think he's pretty much at the right level for him.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Maybe I just get lucky with my interactions with them, them and the Chelsea fans seem mostly docile.
no, you’re right. we’re a fine bunch.

you’d find the same if you came down to the arsenal arena on matchdays. we’re always loudly cheering on our boys.

“come on, team!” one of us will shout.

“yes, do a win!” one other of us will respond.

it’s not long before someone will comment on the seats. “these seats at this ground which we’ve called home for an undefined period of time are very comfy. i like to sit in them whilst celebrating a throw-in.”

i’ll soon chip in with, “don’t you think that player there looks a lot like one of our past legend players who also played at this club for at least some time?”

it’s not long until we all join in with one of our famous chants. “boring, boring arsenal,” we all cheer, willing our players to bore through the opposition like a drill.

“one zero to the arsenal,” is another personal favourite. i love being a fan of those goonies.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Martinez was hardly injury prone before his serious injury last season. He played most of the matches and was our most important player. Even the new injury he got is a freak one. That is why I said no club foresee any injury to their key player.
I see he has missed a number of games in the last three seasons. His MCL is a serious one imo. I am worried that Timber with ACL damage will come back at the same level too.

I am not a huge fan of Martinez, I personally prefer the Varane type CB, and I think his playing style will naturally lead to more injuries over time. Again... it's an odds thing, doesn't mean it will be so.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Weren't you lads the best team in Europe and basically in the next round already?

KeanoMagicHat

Saw and heard ‘European heavyweights’ and ‘striding into Porto as one of the favourites’. They were always going to lose.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Weren't you lads the best team in Europe and basically in the next round already?
"Lads it's Arsenal in the last 16 of the CL....."

They have underachieved in europe so much in the last 30 years. Porto could well scramble a 1-1 at the Emirates, reminds me of them going out to Sporting clube last year.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Saw and heard ‘European heavyweights’ and ‘striding into Porto as one of the favourites’. They were always going to lose.
Yeh never knew where that confidence came from. We haven't been in the CL in a really long time and our squad and manager are young and inexperienced. That showed tonight. I didn't think we'd lose considering our recent form, but I'm not surprised and as the game wore on, they looked stronger.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
"Lads it's Arsenal in the last 16 of the CL....."

They have underachieved in europe so much in the last 30 years. Porto could well scramble a 1-1 at the Emirates, reminds me of them going out to Sporting clube last year.
That game against Sporting still haunts me. We lost both Saliba and Tomiyasu, which effectively ended our title challenge.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
nights like this makes me wonder why i bother.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
nights like this makes me wonder why i bother.
You gotta take the good with the bad. I just remember where we were 2 seasons ago when we weren't even in the CL, and narrow losses away from home like this don't seem so bad.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
You gotta take the good with the bad. I just remember where we were 2 seasons ago when we weren't even in the CL, and narrow losses away from home like this don't seem so bad.
kind of agree but i think loyal fans deserve better. it’s a worrying trend. starting to feel like either arteta goes or i go.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
kind of agree but i think loyal fans deserve better. it’s a worrying trend. starting to feel like either arteta goes or i go.
Tough choice. Maybe wait for the return leg before making any rash decision...

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah he should sleep on it. Kinda funny some people are ready to bail on Arteta after he's gotten us back into the CL for the first time in almost a decade. It took Pep almost a decade to finally win it with City. People seem to forget how hard it is to be (and stay) at this level.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
the last time i put off a rash decision i ended up needing three courses of antibiotics.

berbasloth4

Squads still lacks quality in depth and it shows when they have to play 3 games a week, players looked wrecked and tired. Doesn’t seem to trust too many passed his first choice 14/15 players.