Arsenal 2023/24 - Have bottled the Champions League and are Bottling the League

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal had difficulty break down Porto's mid block last time. Porto will set up the team exactly the same.
Yeah it will be tough, Porto are used to this while we haven't been in these situations in a long time. In a way, I think how the Brentford game played out should help - I imagine Porto will employ similar disruptive tactics and we had to find a way to get the winner. If we'd beaten Brentford more comprehensively as we've been doing lately, we might go into this over-confident and get stung (kind of like the first leg). But I think the team will be well prepared and fully focused. Hopefully we can do to Porto what we did to Lens in the group stage and turn the tie around.

erikcred

for me, it'd be easier to root for Arsenal if lego pep wasn't their manager. He is so phoney.
Back to back title challenges. Grudging respect from me.

It's the cocky fans that are annoying. Like that one guy who went around asking if we can name clubs in Europe who could beat Arsenal. Right before Porto gave them a bloody nose.

ForFuchsSake

Back to back title challenges. Grudging respect from me.

It's the cocky fans that are annoying. Like that one guy who went around asking if we can name clubs in Europe who could beat Arsenal. Right before Porto gave them a bloody nose.
Especially annoying when you consider they are a footnote on the European scene. You'd think there'd be a bit of humility considering they don't even have one European Cup under their belt.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That was the worst outcome. They went through and played extra time. The likelihood of them falling behind increases now.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
That was the worst outcome. They went through and played extra time. The likelihood of them falling behind increases now.
The worst outcome would've been to lose.

No game for 19 days now.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
That was tough but the win feels big and we were the better team over the two legs. A mental hurdle overcome after so many years of failure in European knockout ties. A good night.

Bayern and Kane in the quarters, for the #narrative?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
If we miss out on the title, I'm pretty sure it won't be because 11 of our players played an extra 30 mins of football.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fecking Arsenal fans in my family are all happy and blowing up the family group chat :(

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not the best performance but in the end got the job done. Just enjoy the journey while it lasts.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If we miss out on the title, I'm pretty sure it won't be because 11 of our players played an extra 30 mins of football.
Who said just 30 minutes? I know it's been a while since you made it past the round of 16 but you play another two midweek games!

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Who said just 30 minutes? I know it's been a while since you made it past the round of 16 but you play another two midweek games!
Bro, you said it was the worst possible outcome due to us playing extra time. Unless you’re saying it’s the worst possible outcome because we’re in the QF?

To be honest, I dunno what you’re saying. But I know that of all the possible outcomes, the one where Arsenal progress to the next round of the CL ain’t the worst.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I hear you, still though, happy Arsenal fans is legit the worst thing about football.
Its because you became the black sheep of the family and choose to jump on the Chelsea bandwagon at the time Pat. :)

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Knew this wouldn't be easy but lads did well to get through it. It was very tight and and really could have gone either way. Not a particularly high quality game, pretty scrappy and I thought the ref let a lot go (for both teams). When it went to ET I was fearing the worst. Those penalties were stone cold.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bro, you said it was the worst possible outcome due to us playing extra time. Unless you’re saying it’s the worst possible outcome because we’re in the QF?

To be honest, I dunno what you’re saying. But I know that of all the possible outcomes, the one where Arsenal progress to the next round of the CL ain’t the worst.
I said extra time AND getting through.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I said extra time AND getting through.
No version of us being in the QF of the CL is the worst outcome for me. Or for any fan of any team, I would have thought. But I’m more than happy to agree to disagree.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Its because you became the black sheep of the family and choose to jump on the Chelsea bandwagon at the time Pat. :)
And I’ve enjoyed 25 years of happiness and joy while they all have grey hair and wrinkles in their mid/late 20s :D

Yagami

Good post resistant
No version of us being in the QF of the CL is the worst outcome for me. Or for any fan of any team, I would have thought. But I’m more than happy to agree to disagree.
Sorry, do you think I'm an Arsenal fan? I'm purely talking as a United fan who doesn't want Liverpool or City to win the league. It's totally understandable that Arsenal fans are happy.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry, do you think I'm an Arsenal fan? I'm purely talking as a United fan who doesn't want Liverpool or City to win the league. It's totally understandable that Arsenal fans are happy.
Ah, got ya.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shame they didn’t get knocked out. Would have kept them fresher for the league and of course out of the CL which is always a good thing. Last thing we need is another English club winning European silverware while we watch on like idiots.

erikcred

I never assumed he was.
Then you don't seem to understand why you getting knocked out and focussing on the league is much more preferable for us.

But of course, if we're not delighted at you progressing, it's because we don't like or watch football.

always_hoping

Shame they didn’t get knocked out. Would have kept them fresher for the league and of course out of the CL which is always a good thing. Last thing we need is another English club winning European silverware while we watch on like idiots.
Wasn't the same said about Arsenal chances in the title race last year when knocked out of Europe by Sporting CP? I think they ended up dropping points in 6 of their matches in the run-in.

I'd expect Man City will retain the CL and EL will be low hanging fruit for Liverpool.

ZainCRse7en

This competition levels is too high for them, they will most likely go out in the next round.

But I just want to say that Odegaard pass for the goal only happens in Fifa. It's an eye of a needle pass threading through three or four players in a tight space. Magical.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Then you don't seem to understand why you getting knocked out and focussing on the league is much more preferable for us.

But of course, if we're not delighted at you progressing, it's because we don't like or watch football.
I believe you need us to do well for the coefficients to kick in for your 5th place shoo-in? Regardless, it was about OP insinuating 30 minutes of play was somehow going to put us on our asses for the season now.

Qualifying for the next round is at least 2 additional games against the cream of Europe. Painting that as a negative when Arteta's been clear he expects 70 games a season from his players is just laughable.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
We have historically been very poor in the CL barring the 2006 run. Not sure what happens, we will get slaughtered against City or Madrid or Munich. I am enjoying the run however far it goes but very low expectations.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Needed this one even if we do get dumped out next round. Would have been a big downer to fo out to Porto in the round of 16.

Hope we dont get Atletico next round. Don't think I want to see us playing Porto on steroids.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
We have historically been very poor in the CL barring the 2006 run. Not sure what happens, we will get slaughtered against City or Madrid or Munich. I am enjoying the run however far it goes but very low expectations.
It's absolutely obvious Kane is going to score to knock us out. He's left the league but he'll still somehow find a way to get his customary annual penalty against us

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
It's absolutely obvious Kane is going to score to knock us out. He's left the league but he'll still somehow find a way to get his customary annual penalty against us
So our usual 5-1 against Bayern then