Arsenal 2023/24 - Have bottled the Champions League and are Bottling the League

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
So our usual 5-1 against Bayern then
It very much depends on the bookies, isn't it.
I swear one match I see the ref was hell-bent on giving Kane one, he looked for all excuse to blow the whistle on any contact in Spurs opposition box.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
I went to the game today, could only get tickets in the City section.

I am just baffled at one thing. You look around the ground, everything from the upgrades to the smug new songs about the CL to the posters about 'one city one love' to the shiny players its all based on cheating. Oil cheating. I found the entire fanbase today just absolutely cringing and you can tell deep down they all know they're frauds. What I am baffled at is, a club like Utd with a superb history and tradition, can see all this and prefer City to us. Regardless of how cringe the 'Arsenal fans' are as both sides have such people, plenty of cringing and deluded Utd fans here too (look at your pre-season predictions thread or the thread comparing ours, Utd's and Chelsea's midfield before the season (lol). My point is feck all that Utd-Arsenal rivalry, I was absolutely needled today by their fans today and would love to see Utd smash them 10 out of 10 times.

How can any Utd fan sit there and see all these cheats go and grab a 4th in a row? I don't understand it. For all who say its City who cares, in 20 years time they'd reach your PL numbers and easily surpass your CL count and the younger generation wouldn't give a shite how City got their trophies. I saw so many young kids and teens who in 20 years will be in their 30s and won't care. In 100 years the record books won't care.

AFC NimbleThumb

I am just baffled at one thing. You look around the ground, everything from the upgrades to the smug new songs about the CL to the posters about 'one city one love' to the shiny players its all based on cheating. Oil cheating. I found the entire fanbase today just absolutely cringing and you can tell deep down they all know they're frauds. What I am baffled at is, a club like Utd with a superb history and tradition, can see all this and prefer City to us. Regardless of how cringe the 'Arsenal fans' are as both sides have such people, plenty of cringing and deluded Utd fans here too (look at your pre-season predictions thread or the thread comparing ours, Utd's and Chelsea's midfield before the season (lol). My point is feck all that Utd-Arsenal rivalry, I was absolutely needled today by their fans today and would love to see Utd smash them 10 out of 10 times.

How can any Utd fan sit there and see all these cheats go and grab a 4th in a row? I don't understand it. For all who say its City who cares, in 20 years time they'd reach your PL numbers and easily surpass your CL count and the younger generation wouldn't give a shite how City got their trophies. I saw so many young kids and teens who in 20 years will be in their 30s and won't care. In 100 years the record books won't care.
Your whole post sums up why I can’t stand the thought of your lot winning it.

Quite frankly could care less who kids support in 20 years & I’ll be long gone in 100 so being preached to by an Arsenal fan in the current day isn’t my idea of a fun time.

Think most can justify City winning anything with the 100-odd charges & the fact no one outside their own fanbase cares.

Think about it. You’re on a Manchester United forum preaching to their fans about how another club will surpass their league win total eventually but remind me how many leagues have Arsenal won again? This is my issue with Arsenal fans, you were a rival for a very short period of time during which the media portrayed you as if we went toe to toe when infact we won a lot more than you did. I respect your club massively & its achievement but you are un essence our Spurs.

I’m not up for the Saliba vs Rio debates or Martinelli vs Giggs should you eventually win something tbh so personally I’ll take a meteor on the final day.

AshRK

That was an absolute dreadful football they served today. Expected more today and they played like a rich stoke city. And strange part is the draw may not be even enough as Liverpool may pip them to the title. They need to beat United at OT as well as Spurs away if they are to win the title.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That was an absolute dreadful football they served today. Expected more today and they played like a rich stoke city. And strange part is the draw may not be even enough as Liverpool may pip them to the title. They need to beat United at OT as well as Spurs away if they are to win the title.
Chelsea at home too. These London derbies are no freebies, specially when a league title is on the line to rub into fellow Londoners faces.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Meh, we came for a point and got it.

Saka was clearly not fit and Martinelli even less so. Neither trained until yesterday after resting injuries the last two weeks and having neither anywhere near top shape probably led Arteta to play for the point and live to fight another day. All three sides will drop points between now and the end.

AshRK

Meh, we came for a point and got it.

Saka was clearly not fit and Martinelli even less so. Neither trained until yesterday after resting injuries the last two weeks and having neither anywhere near top shape probably led Arteta to play for the point and live to fight another day. All three sides will drop points between now and the end.
I was more referring to the football that was served. It reminded me of those Jose day which strangely arsenal fans were the most vocal about his dire football and yet they are now changing goal posts.

Result wise , that was a decent point. But that football was very hard to watch. City were equally poor but I thought arsenal should have done better.

As for Injuries, arsenal have been the luckiest so am not even buying the injury excuse. Heck city were playing with zero full backs and Ake also was subbed with injury.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I was more referring to the football that was served. It reminded me of those Jose day which strangely arsenal fans were the most vocal about his dire football and yet they are now changing goal posts.

Result wise , that was a decent point. But that football was very hard to watch. City were equally poor but I thought arsenal should have done better.

As for Injuries, arsenal have been the luckiest so am not even buying the injury excuse. Heck city were playing with zero full backs and Ake also was subbed with injury.
Ah, no arguments about that. Poor game to watch for sure.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Arsenal fans that started supporting during the height of Wenger I'd say. Some of us remember the George Graham one nil to the Arsenal days :wenger:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

We could've been more attacking and gotten schooled as usual. This was pragmatic and it worked. No complaints, on to the next.

AshRK

We could've been more attacking and gotten schooled as usual. This was pragmatic and it worked. No complaints, on to the next.
Fair enough. But again I was more referring to the football that was served and not the result. The result was fine , just that I expected more from arsenal. In fact city were hardly any good. In fact if they were city of last year, arsenal would have lost even with this tactics.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal

Quite frankly could care less who kids support in 20 years & I’ll be long gone in 100 so being preached to by an Arsenal fan in the current day isn’t my idea of a fun time.

Think most can justify City winning anything with the 100-odd charges & the fact no one outside their own fanbase cares.

Think about it. You’re on a Manchester United forum preaching to their fans about how another club will surpass their league win total eventually but remind me how many leagues have Arsenal won again? This is my issue with Arsenal fans, you were a rival for a very short period of time during which the media portrayed you as if we went toe to toe when infact we won a lot more than you did. I respect your club massively & its achievement but you are un essence our Spurs.

I’m not up for the Saliba vs Rio debates or Martinelli vs Giggs should you eventually win something tbh so personally I’ll take a meteor on the final day.
While you call us your Spurs you do realise that before the SAF era we had more league titles. Just as you got lucky with SAF and became the biggest team in the country overtaking us and then Liverpool. City are in the process of doing the same and also have got lucky with oil money and pep.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Those fans either have a lingering hatred for Arsenal stemming from the 90s or feel City’s pointless winning won’t become relevant (which it already is).

Anyhoo a point is okay for Arsenal as drawing at City is usually hard to pull off but at the same time it gives Liverpool a decent little gap at the top. As good as Arsenal’s defence was, I’m surprised by how poor the likes of Odegaard were. Just panicky football from players you’d expect to have more control even if their starting position was deeper than usual. Jesus is so mediocre and should have been upgraded on by now.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Fair enough. But again I was more referring to the football that was served and not the result. The result was fine , just that I expected more from arsenal. In fact city were hardly any good. In fact if they were city of last year, arsenal would have lost even with this tactics.
What did you feel about the football we've served since January? What about our football against City last season at home and away? And the season before?

Taking one game against Manchester City away and believing it's some great reflection on how we play isn't accurate, nor the least bit relevant to our season as a whole.

Pintu

What did you feel about the football we've served since January? What about our football against City last season at home and away? And the season before?

Taking one game against Manchester City away and believing it's some great reflection on how we play isn't accurate, nor the least bit relevant to our season as a whole.
You are definitely better than last year… you are winning more tight games. Mentally stronger (coming from behind to win in shootout vs Porto compared to the Sporting game) And you showed yourself capable of frustrating City by allowing them possession but little spaces.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

But it's usually this time (not January) that your bottle is always called into question. I don't mean that disrespectfully. Players eventually start to feel that too. And with the negative mindset shown against a poor City (comparatively) that negativity and self doubt spills into later games. Luton will be a very interesting game now.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
But it's usually this time (not January) that your bottle is always called into question. I don't mean that disrespectfully. Players eventually start to feel that too. And with the negative mindset shown against a poor City (comparatively) that negativity and self doubt spills into later games. Luton will be a very interesting game now.
I would've questioned our mettle a 1000% more if we'd played like we usually do, left ourselves vulnerable to City's unerring ability to find spaces on the counter, and gone home losing 1-3 with our tails between our legs.

This isn't the best result, a 1-0 smash and grab would've been that, but I'll take it very happily as I'm sure the team will.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
You are definitely better than kast year… you are winning more tight games. Mentally stronger (coming from behind to win in shootout vs Porto compared to the Sporting game) And you showed yourself capable of frustrating City by allowing them possession but little spaces.
The difference is noticeable, and I think Rice and Saliba (and White) are the major reasons for that.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Always content with a point at the Etihad. For all their possession, our xG's weren't all that dissimilar (0.95 to our 0.68) and they had 1 shot on target to our 2. Was a tight, cagey affair much like the game at the Emirates. But we've taken 4 points from City this season, best we've done against them for many years.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
You are definitely better than last year… you are winning more tight games. Mentally stronger (coming from behind to win in shootout vs Porto compared to the Sporting game) And you showed yourself capable of frustrating City by allowing them possession but little spaces.
This is exactly right. We've really matured as a team, I had every belief we could defend, frustrate them, bide our time and wait for opportunities. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be today but I no longer see City on the roster and expect a thrashing. And that says a lot about how far we've come in the last couple of years.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Always content with a point at the Etihad. For all their possession, our xG's weren't all that dissimilar (0.95 to our 0.68) and they had 1 shot on target to our 2. Was a tight, cagey affair much like the game at the Emirates. But we've taken 4 points from City this season, best we've done against them for many years.
No offence (again) but Pep really isn't worried by Arsenal at all this season just as he wasn't worried at all last season. That draw means City haven't lost too much ground on Liverpool. Probably will win the league against us on goal difference. Arsenal a comfortable third, by more than a few points.

That draw suited Pep. He was happier with a draw against a dangerous, yet surprisingly stunted, Arsenal. His toughest games are all finished now. He will win the remaining 9, as he often does.

Dr Foo

I for one, want anyone but City to win. And would like us to reestablish our rivalry for the title with ‘proper’ clubs

Fridge chutney

While you call us your Spurs you do realise that before the SAF era we had more league titles. Just as you got lucky with SAF and became the biggest team in the country overtaking us and then Liverpool. City are in the process of doing the same and also have got lucky with oil money and pep.
Yes .."luck by SAF" and luck by cheating are the same thing.

Feck it will be annoying if Arsenal win anything.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
No offence (again) but Pep really isn't worried by Arsenal at all this season just as he wasn't worried at all last season. That draw means City haven't lost too much ground on Liverpool. Probably will win the league against us on goal difference. Arsenal a comfortable third, by more than a few points.

That draw suited Pep. He was happier with a draw against a dangerous, yet surprisingly stunted, Arsenal. His toughest games are all finished now. He will win the remaining 9, as he often does.
Yep, agree with this take.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

Yeh, can't disagree. We'll always have doubts around us until we actually lift the trophy and that's fair enough. But we have the best head to head between Liverpool, Arsenal and City this season. That's not something I'd ever have thought we'd be capable of a year or so ago, as for so long City and Liverpool have seemed in a different league to us.

amolbhatia50k

Yeh, can't disagree. We'll always have doubts around us until we actually lift the trophy and that's fair enough. But we have the best head to head between Liverpool, Arsenal and City this season. That's not something I'd ever have thought we'd be capable of a year or so ago, as for so long City and Liverpool have seemed in a different league to us.
You need to go on a run now and win every game at least until Spurs away. Hopefully you can return to your front foot form and we can do you / ourselves a favour vs Liverpool. Key few weeks - Arsenal need their pre international break form. I firmly believe Liverpool aren’t as strong as made out but if they aren’t put under serious pressure by your lot over this next month, it may not matter.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
You need to go on a run now and win every game at least until Spurs away. Hopefully you can return to your front foot form and we can do you / ourselves a favour vs Liverpool. Key few weeks - Arsenal need their pre international break form. I firmly believe Liverpool aren’t as strong as made out but if they aren’t put under serious pressure by your lot over this next month, it may not matter.
Personally I think 115 Charges FC will win it yet again. Liverpool have their vulnerable moments, though Klopp leaving might give them extra incentive. But it's just so hard to bet against City and Pep. As for Arsenal, I have no idea what to expect really and just want to enjoy the ride. Do think we can go on a bit of a run but still so much to play for. Trying to manoeuvre a title charge and CL simultaneously is not something we're used to.

amolbhatia50k

Personally I think 115 Charges FC will win it yet again. Liverpool have their vulnerable moments, though Klopp leaving might give them extra incentive. But it's just so hard to bet against City and Pep. As for Arsenal, I have no idea what to expect really and just want to enjoy the ride. Do think we can go on a bit of a run but still so much to play for. Trying to manoeuvre a title charge and CL simultaneously is not something we're used to.
Forfeit the CL so we don’t have to worry about you winning that one. Simple.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I’m certain we will win the PL within the next 2 years if we carry in our current trajectory. The margins at the top are fine.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
As for Arsenal, I have no idea what to expect really and just want to enjoy the ride.
I'm with you on this. We've got the hardest run-in so won't be favourites but our form in the big games has been excellent. Adding the Champions League quarters in around some key games will push us, and one of our main failings under Arteta so far has been being unable to adapt when hit by injuries. Predicting the outcome of this race feels like a mugs' game.

Some of the reaction to yesterday's game has been mad. We have lost how many in a row at the Etihad - 8 or 9 or something? They scored in FIFTY SEVEN home games in the league in a row before yesterday. Sorry it was a slog for the neutrals (it was a slog for me as well) but it's a very good result.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Yes .."luck by SAF" and luck by cheating are the same thing.

Feck it will be annoying if Arsenal win anything.
The point was the poster I was replying to himself does did not care about anything that happened before 1990s.
In a few decades most will not care about the oil money thing.
People generally don't care about things that have happened before they started following the sport.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal

The third biggest club in England in terms of the PL count and until 2000s had the same count as you. Most FA Cup wins. Only missing thing is a CL.

This makes us Utds Spurs. :lol:

We did go toe to toe. Those 7 years toll Jose came with his cheat code, you won 4 we won 3 PL titles. How is that not toe to toe.

I mean this is a shocking post. That too after appreciating the tremendous history United have had.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Laat year 6 easy points for City...7 goals for City. This year 1 point for City 0 goals scored. These games are snooze fests but Arteta has figured out how to frustrate City. Both teams are responsible for making these games horrible. Problem is we are not a great counter attacking team and if you are going to play it this way, you need to be or you are always open to one little moment even if your opponent isn't creating a whole lot themselves.

Yesterday's result was fine. It didn't hurt us. Not sure we can drop more points though (maybe one more time?), that is the problem. Sadly, Id bet a lot more on City winning 9 on the trot than on us doing the same. Their schedule for starters is bit easier, but this the time of the year when they look hard to beat. And we still have Pool in the mix, although I am more concerned with City.

AFC NimbleThumb

The third biggest club in England in terms of the PL count and until 2000s had the same count as you. Most FA Cup wins. Only missing thing is a CL.

This makes us Utds Spurs. :lol:

We did go toe to toe. Those 7 years toll Jose came with his cheat code, you won 4 we won 3 PL titles. How is that not toe to toe.

I mean this is a shocking post. That too after appreciating the tremendous history United have had.
I knew this would rattle a cage. Always does when you put the clubs into perspective so thanks again for a post that sums Arsenal fans up perfectly.

‘Only missing a CL’, that’s a big only there when you consider during the last decade where United have been a clusterfeck we’ve won as many major European trophies [yea, we don’t count that nonsense that ran for 13 years] as your club has in its history.

As I said I respect Arsenal football club, what I don’t respect is crap like your first paragraph. The clubs aren’t comparable lad. No one’s saying Arsenal don’t have history, I acknowledge you do. I’m saying you aren’t Manchester United.

You went ‘toe to toe’ for 7 years. Did you miss the part of the post where I said ‘a rival for a very short time’? United were doing bits long before & long after. How long was Wenger at Arsenal again & you’re talking 7 years? That is Arsenal fans for you.

‘Until the 2000s’. Fecks sakes we did more between 2010-2013 than you’ve done in how long?

Again. Very historied club & if you’d like to discuss how Roman + his millions derailed your fantasy then fine but you are our Spurs. Annoying. So I’d rather your club fall in the Thames then have to listen to crap like that first paragraph. The clubs are not the same, that isn’t a slate against Arsenal but a fact.

I’m not sure how your post addresses what was written, it’s another Arsenal fan trying to tell me your Uniteds peers & you’re not.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They’ll all be United fans next Sunday. We have a chance to make them go top by next Monday.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
If Arsenal keeps faffing about between UCL and Premier League, they will trully lose it again.
Their pool of first 11 is still too small.
PGMOL FC will annoyingly win it again for the 4th time in a row.
Liverpool will have chance if Jota quickly regains his form before injury, he's that good I reckon.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It was a good result for Arsenal and less so for city. How they played is irrelevant because they got the result that they wanted ultimately but since it’s a topic I’ll say that it’s a one off, compared to the season to date. They have a smallish squad and several key players are clearly not fit.
besides as we should know under SAF (he drummed it into us enough) that this end of the season is about results not performance, being able to play badly but still pickup results

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I am not sure we played badly. This snooze fest was by design. I understand it, I would hope it would evolve over time.... something to build on. We need Martinelli for a game like this and even then we are limited. We need most of all to move things around a lot quicker and our movement off the ball needs to be a little different than what we are used to.

White,Saliba and Gabriel were great, so much so that Foden and Haaland were reduced to looking rather poorish. Rice had a decent game...Odegaard ok, but that's probably where it stops. The rest looked pretty bad for most of the game. City's press was pretty good too, but yes we are not necessarily the best counter attacking team.