g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Jesus has 4 appearances!
I’m in the same boat as you with the EL. Ten Hags teams have been too strong and we are now looking leggy for no real reason. We were both guaranteed to get out of the groups so I can’t see why playing 6 games and tiring the first team just to avoid an extra knockout round is better than resting these players for those games and bringing in the starters for the knockout game. The squads aren’t benefitting
The exact same thought entered my mind. We're basically having to play stronger teams for 2 extra games in order to save 2 games.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Ignoring the first two games, I have actually been relatively impressed with United. They are looking a very good bet for top 3, which, for Ten Hag's first season after taking over a team in turmoil would a very impressive feat. Arsenal though, I've watched pretty much every game so far and apart from the slight dip vs Leeds and Southampton, they have been excellent on the efficiency levels and entertainment levels in every other game.
Yup agree with all of this , ive been impressed with United so far (definitely moving in the right direction) and with the terrible start of Liverpool (along with tough starts for Spurs/Chelsea) it looks like United are primed for third.

I do think the other contenders Will improve after the World Cup (Most of Liverpools team arent going/ won't start and Potter will have more time to train etc) but if United can keep it up then EtH will have massively exceeded my expectations for his first season (Even if the likes of Liverpool/Chelsea and Spurs have disappointed).

Ive been pretty vocal about the good work that Arteta has been doing for the past year or so (which wasnt that popular on here to begin with) but they have definitely achieved more than i expected them to so far.

A couple of injuries to key players (especially Partey) and they will fall off massively (in terms of a title challenge with city) because they are relatively thin in squad depth (injuries in midfield and to their full backs killer their top 4 challenge last year) but I would have to think they are absolutely nailed on for top 4 at this stage (and most likely 2nd).

Chief123

I literally just watched you cling on at Old Trafford against West Ham, with a heroic performance by your keeper. How you won that game is a mystery, and even Forest beat West Ham. I watched you score a 94th minute equalizer to snatch a point at Chelsea, I saw Newcastle hitting posts/crossbars and missing open goals in a 0-0, heck even Eveerton matched you for goal attempts in a very narrow recent win. It only counts when Arsenal 'are not convincing' though. Makes me chuckle.
I’m guessing you also watched your convincing team get convincingly spanked at Old trafford too? Let’s be honest, Arsenal ended up gladly keeping it down to a 3-1 loss.

Chief123

At some point Arsenal will have to decide to give up the EL, the squad isn't big enough to sustain challenges on multiple fronts. The only attraction for that trophy is being able to get in CL through it, but if we're doing it through the league then there's no real sense in bothering with it.
The tricky part will be about how to get out of EL, without losing too much face or affecting morale.
Why would Arsenal want to give up in the EL when it’s their only realistic chance of a major trophy?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Because White, Gabriel and Zinchenko would have made such a massive difference :lol:
You’re right, imagine thinking that 3/4 of your back not being on the pitch may have some sort of an impact. Truly laughable.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I’m guessing you also watched your convincing team get convincingly spanked at Old trafford too? Let’s be honest, Arsenal ended up gladly keeping it down to a 3-1 loss.
We had several more shots and over 60% possession. It was hardly a "convincing spanking." Let's be honest, you didn't actually watch the game, did you?

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is it just me that's happy from a football point of view to see Arsenal doing well again? I'd much rather have Arsenal/United in the top 3 than the likes of Pool, chelsea etc
From a football point of view, yeah, Arsenal are a proper club and it's better for the league to avoid being turned into a one-horse race. From a personal point of view, I hate Arsenal, everyone associated with their club and I especially hate their entire fanbase so you can understand the internal conflict.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Also, worth saying, as much as I hate Arsenal I don't see any reason why they can't push City for the title.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
xG was pretty much equal and it doesn't count our VAR goal. Which granted was a borderline foul in the build up, but you fouled us all afternoon without any reprucutions. We also dominated possession and you were forced to play Oleball.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Why would Arsenal want to give up in the EL when it’s their only realistic chance of a major trophy?
Yeah, I know. But its still a knockout format, so do we jeopardize a top four position for a trophy attempt. And only the PL and CL are major trophies, the rest are varying degrees of minor trophies. I'd say winning EL and a FA Cup have about the same relevance.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
xG was pretty much equal and it doesn't count our VAR goal. Which granted was a borderline foul in the build up, but you fouled us all afternoon without any reprucutions. We also dominated possession and you were forced to play Oleball.
In the end Man Utd won and they were very efficient in counter attack.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I really hope you guys win it. I just don't want City or Pool winning.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well it won’t count a goal that was disallowed as it wasn’t a goal. Your goal, and only really attempt, was down to a mistake by Varane by the way.

No idea what Oleball is either but it involved tearing you apart repeatedly and you were fortunate we didn’t grab a few more goals by full time.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
In the end Man Utd won and they were very efficient in counter attack.
I don’t think the argument is whether United won… they clearly did. I’d even say they “deserved” the win (I’m not a fan of that term) as their finishing was clinical and we were tactically naive in the last 30 mins.

But it clearly wasn’t a “spanking”.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I know. But its still a knockout format, so do we jeopardize a top four position for a trophy attempt. And only the PL and CL are major trophies, the rest are varying degrees of minor trophies. I'd say winning EL and a FA Cup have about the same relevance.
Huh ? I mean i love those 14 Fa Cups but come on, a european trophy even if 2nd tier, is still way more relevant. Plus the ridiculous money it entails for the following season.

TheReligion

Abusive
We had several more shots and over 60% possession. It was hardly a "convincing spanking." Let's be honest, you didn't actually watch the game, did you?
It wasn’t a spanking as such but De Gea has very little to do. You dominated possession and we hit you with quick direct football during turnovers. On each occasion we cut through pretty easily and could have had a couple more by full time.

You did the same thing to Liverpool when you beat them this season. I think @ThierryFabregas calls it ‘Oleball’ or something?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Got really confused and thought you were replying to yourself for a second.
Haha. I tried to get my ID change but apparently it is not allowed.
There is more than one way to play football and in that game Man Utd was very efficient in counter attack. I was still happy with Arsenal's performance in that game though. The passing out from the back under pressure was implemented very well.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I’m in the same boat as you with the EL. Ten Hags teams have been too strong and we are now looking leggy for no real reason. We were both guaranteed to get out of the groups so I can’t see why playing 6 games and tiring the first team just to avoid an extra knockout round is better than resting these players for those games and bringing in the starters for the knockout game. The squads aren’t benefitting
I think the world cup being when it is and Ten Hag being new here has dictated this decision, rather than a desperation to finish 1st in the group. I suspect he wants to bed this system in with his preferred players as soon as possible, and with this effectively playing as two half seasons he's using every fixture as a learning opportunity

Chief123

You do realise in a football match when a team is winning, their strategy changes?

I’m guessing you missed the easy sitters we missed which should have made it at least 6 goals as opposed to Arsenal’s “possession” with no bite. Thought so.

I mean you can get all giddy about possession which has RAWK net spend vibes tbh. I’m guessing Leicester were the better team at Emirates then as they had more possession than Arsenal despite losing 4-2?

Last edited:

Chief123

Check post above. Obviously a team which is winning is going to concede possession.

Go back and check the easy chances we missed. It’s not an exaggeration when I say it should have been at least 6 goals.

Jev

That's not at all what happened. They dominated us totally before their equaliser and looked likely to win at that point.

Chief123

That's not at all what happened. They dominated us totally before their equaliser and looked likely to win at that point.
We looked likely to win against Chelsea and Newcastle but we didn’t. That’s a pointless statement. Arsenal bottled it, not our problem. We ended up winning comfortably and should have scored more.

Lost bear

Hardly Oleball. But yes, OK, you were good that day- but then you should be after having a few years with your new mananger and his project, whereas ours is barely 6 months in. The problem I have with Arsenal fans is that they are ridiculously arrogant... ie, as a generalisation, not saying that you are personally - I don't know you beyond this rather overblown quote.

Jev

We looked likely to win against Chelsea and Newcastle but we didn’t. That’s a pointless statement. Arsenal bottled it, not our problem. We ended up winning comfortably and should have scored more.
You said they were convincingly spanked. Anyone who watched that game knows that's simply untrue.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hardly Oleball. But yes, OK, you were good that day- but then you should be after having a few years with your new mananger and his project, whereas ours is barely 6 months in. The problem I have with Arsenal fans is that they are ridiculously arrogant... ie, as a generalisation, not saying that you are personally - I don't know you beyond this rather overblown quote.
There is definitely an arrogance with some. That poster you quoted for sure.

He calls United beating them by playing Oleball which is nonsense and suggests they were hard done by and turned over by some rudimentary tactics.

What’s more baffling than them, as good as they are, being easily beaten by Oleball, is the fact they actually used very similar tactics themselves when playing Liverpool this season. Arteta said as much himself following the game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Are Antony and Rashford in poor form?
I also don’t think they’ve rotated that much in Europe and I don’t see Ben White being under pressure for his right back spot
Rashford has been playing many games at CF so Sancho has been a starting winger for a-lot of this season and he has been dropped. Otherwise then we do not have a starting striker, well we have Ronaldo but I won’t say much about him.

Tomiyasu is a RB who is actually very good, so Ben White has been under pressure, he is just playing well so keeping his place.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So we bottled it against Newcastle and Chelsea then. Or maybe its the case that our attack is not functioning at the required level yet and thats why we dropped points

Lost bear

There is definitely an arrogance with some. That poster you quoted for sure.

He calls United beating them by playing Oleball which is nonsense and suggests they were hard done by and turned over by some rudimentary tactics.

What’s more baffling than them, as good as they are, being easily beaten by Oleball, is the fact they actually used very similar tactics themselves when playing Liverpool this season. Arteta said as much himself following the game.
Yep. Fully agree.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Wow, it's like Groundhog Day in here. How long has it been since the game and still the same discussions are going on about it? Utd won and it deserved to win, Arsenal played ok in the middle 3rd but let themselves down at either end of the pitch, and that's where games are won and lost..

Both sides have done plenty good things since as well, debate and discuss them.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
People still talking about the United game? Weve moved on winning 16 out of the next 18 points. As far as the performance goes, most Arsenal fans were happy with the performance but acknowledge the execution wasn't quite right. However the tempo and approach was consistent with how we want to play, which is to get on the ball and get players forward playing a high press high line. We also did not have Partey playing and Lokonga was playing. I get the feeling Lokonga wont last much longer, especially now he is speaking out in the press. Can see us going for Danilo in January as Brazil season will be over.

We will do the same again against Chelsea this week. We wont treat them any different and will look to choke them high up the pitch and make them do plenty of defending. Its an expansive and high-level brand of football and we are executing it more often than not.

The Liverpool and Tottenham wins were good. But an away win at a top 6 club is the next step to proving our title credentials.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Forced us to play Oleball :lol:

ZainCRse7en

Still think we will finish above them. But they would definitely be in the top four (unless if they really lose the plot). Reckon we should try and pry one of saka or martinelli over before the inevitable bumper contract comes to the table. Can see saka ending up at man city and martinelli at liverpool anyway. So might as well put a bid on the table to try turn their heads.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Still think we will finish above them. But they would definitely be in the top four (unless if they really lose the plot). Reckon we should try and pry one of saka or martinelli over before the inevitable bumper contract comes to the table. Can see saka ending up at man city and martinelli at liverpool anyway. So might as well put a bid on the table to try turn their heads.
Players come and go so Saka and Martinelli are free to do whatever best for their own career, but why not give a chance to your own academy players?

TheReligion

Abusive
People still talking about the United game? Weve moved on winning 16 out of the next 18 points. As far as the performance goes, most Arsenal fans were happy with the performance but acknowledge the execution wasn't quite right. However the tempo and approach was consistent with how we want to play, which is to get on the ball and get players forward playing a high press high line. We also did not have Partey playing and Lokonga was playing. I get the feeling Lokonga wont last much longer, especially now he is speaking out in the press. Can see us going for Danilo in January as Brazil season will be over.

We will do the same again against Chelsea this week. We wont treat them any different and will look to choke them high up the pitch and make them do plenty of defending. Its an expansive and high-level brand of football and we are executing it more often than not.

The Liverpool and Tottenham wins were good. But an away win at a top 6 club is the next step to proving our title credentials.
It’s interesting that you adopted an approach much like United’s v Arsenal when you played Liverpool though.