Arsene Wenger’s next move

Member 5225

What do we think?
Will he continue being a manager?

Surely a national team job is perfect for him, but apparently he likes the day-to-day aspect of football management.

What’s next for him?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
China for a payday or the French national side after Deschamps underwhelms at the WC yet again?

Zoo

Hopefully England after Southgate fails this summer.

Kapardin

Monaco perhaps if Jardim leaves. No expectation to win the league and staying in a tax haven full of uber rich people, what's not to like.

Might be considered for France if Deschamps cocks up in the World Cup despite the talent at his disposal.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I’d like to see him manage England after the World Cup. Give him a 2 tournament deal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
China for a payday or the French national side after Deschamps underwhelms at the WC yet again?
Yet again is always interesting because Deschamps has not underwhelmed once. I noticed that foreign expectations are far higher than the french expectations. He reached the WC QF and the Euro final which was respectively the expectation and above the expectations, the goal was the EURO semi final.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Yet again is always interesting because Deschamps has not underwhelmed once. I noticed that foreign expectations are far higher than the french expectations. He reached the WC QF and the Euro final which was respectively the expectation and above the expectations, the goal was the EURO semi final.
Man for man, I personally feel that France has possibly the best starting line up in Europe. They have the most depth and quality in most positions too. A squad like that really should be doing better, not to mention the results in the last two tournaments don't reflect the quality of the play. I guess I was expecting a sort of domination that Spain showed from 2008-2012, but I feel the coach has held them back to an extent.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He should retired for his age. His achievement in Arsenal for the past 10 years won't get him a job in the top clubs anymore, and his poor tactical skill make him ill suit to be a national coach.

JPRouve

Scout
Man for man, I personally feel that France has possibly the best starting line up in Europe. They have the most depth and quality in most positions too. A squad like that really should be doing better, not to mention the results in the last two tournaments don't reflect the quality of the play. I guess I was expecting a sort of domination that Spain showed from 2008-2012, but I feel the coach has held them back to an extent.
I actually don't know what to say because it's really shocking how for no good reason people overrate France, even on a paper it makes no sense. At the exception of Benzema, Varane and now Griezmann, France don't have players with big competitions experience, at least not among the players in their prime, Benzema and Varane weren't at the EURO and Benzema has generally been underwhelming for France because he wanted to do too much, he was better for Deschamps though. On top of that, France have had big holes in its team since 2004, we failed to produce fullbacks, so when Sagna and Evra lost a step we had terrible performers there, same thing with CMs and wingers. So the comparison with Spain is just baffling, if we are lucky 2020-2024 will be our years because our big talents are really young and will be in their prime around that time.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Monaco at club level or France national team for me.

Outsider: Everton.

Andersons Dietician

I would think if say Jardim moves to Arsenal Monaco would be of intrest to him. Actually wonder if say for whatever reason Zidanne isn’t kept on if Real would go for him having had a long standing interest.

Smithy_123

It's well-known that he has no passion, no hobbies, nothing outside of football. I think he'd prefer managing a club instead of a national team, otherwise it'd be too hands off.

Josep Dowling

I actually don't know what to say because it's really shocking how for no good reason people overrate France, even on a paper it makes no sense. At the exception of Benzema, Varane and now Griezmann, France don't have players with big competitions experience, at least not among the players in their prime, Benzema and Varane weren't at the EURO and Benzema has generally been underwhelming for France because he wanted to do too much, he was better for Deschamps though. On top of that, France have had big holes in its team since 2004, we failed to produce fullbacks, so when Sagna and Evra lost a step we had terrible performers there, same thing with CMs and wingers. So the comparison with Spain is just baffling, if we are lucky 2020-2024 will be our years because our big talents are really young and will be in their prime around that time.
Seriously? Your squad may not have tournament experience but you have 3 players in each position who are all quality. Can we swap yours with the dross we have in England?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I would think if say Jardim moves to Arsenal Monaco would be of intrest to him. Actually wonder if say for whatever reason Zidanne isn’t kept on if Real would go for him having had a long standing interest.
He'd last two minutes at Real Madrid. One bad run and they'd sack him without question.

Let's not forget his european record is awful so that alone would rule him out of the job.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Kinda proving his point here. I mean, expecting any nationalteam to show the domination Spain showed over those 3 tournaments is insane. Even expecting it from Spain back then would have been crazy. Despite the quality Spain had, they surpassed the expectation by winning three tournaments in a row, which as far as I know no nationalteam ever did before.

And then there's the little fact that France today has nowhere near the quality Spain had back then.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Japan NT, possibly the easiest managerial job in the world - the expectation is to make the WC and basically they're so far ahead of the rest of AFC they can probably field 2 teams and still have both make the WC.

Once they qualify, they have no expectation, so somehow getting to the 2nd round and you'd be a national hero.

JPRouve

Scout
Seriously? Your squad may not have tournament experience but you have 3 players in each position who are all quality. Can we swap yours with the dross we have in England?
My post is mainly about the past teams from 2012 to 2016 because that's when Deschamps is mainly judged and the team wasn't particularly good, it was pretty close to England. The current team is very talented but also very inexperienced individually and collectively. Unless one of Pogba or Griezmann step up, this team won't achieve much until most players hit their prime which isn't happening until 2020-2024.

On Wenger, I could see him join Monaco or become a DTN at Clairefontaine where he will be able to work with kids on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully a UEFA/FIFA position. I saw it on another thread on another site & instantly loved the idea.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Japan NT, possibly the easiest managerial job in the world - the expectation is to make the WC and basically they're so far ahead of the rest of AFC they can probably field 2 teams and still have both make the WC.

Once they qualify, they have no expectation, so somehow getting to the 2nd round and you'd be a national hero.
You may be on to something here but I think it may be a bit early to switch managers especially when Nishino has just taken the reins. If we're talking about national team jobs, the France managerial position might be more likely. Deschamps has been there for quite some time; if the World Cup results are less than satisfactory, I can see his position being in jeopardy.

Otherwise, it's probably the French league; Monaco being the likeliest of destinations.

SirAF

Ageist
He doesn’t strike me as the type who would go for a payday - especially not at his age. Could see him like the challenge of China though, considering he spent some time managing in Japan.

ti vu

and no trophies for a decade? I'll pass!
:nono:

3 FA Cups in 5 years. Barren spell coincided with stadium project. Talking about stadium, I heard Chelsea plans for new stadium. So plenty of experience :angel:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
France or England NT after the WC would be the best for him personally imo. But I think he is going to take a club job which I think will not be good for him.

Andersons Dietician

He'd last two minutes at Real Madrid. One bad run and they'd sack him without question.

Let's not forget his european record is awful so that alone would rule him out of the job.
His European record was never great before when they wanted him. I think it’s the style of football they wanted anitially with him. Don’t think it will happen. Just wonder if they would still have an intrest.

Member 90887

I really think he wouldn't do bad at a club with a bigger budget.
All managers have bad spells, the end of those bad spells coincide usually with a change of club. Wenger never had that. i think that there's no reason he couldn't succeed at another club.
It's interesting to see his next move.
He's saying that he had multiple offers, if madrid doesn't get the CL, i think he could be a candidate, or A.Madrid if Simeone goes to Chelsea, maybe Juve as Allegri is touted as the next Arsenal Manager or even a return to France, at PSG. i can't see him stay in england.

The best choice for him would be a national team of course, big tournaments, one's that he didn't participate in before. a lot of watching football and no pressure (at least, not comparable to club pressure).

it was a vicious cirle for him at Arsenal.

redflair

It's funny because I mentioned this before while engaging with an Arsenal fan - and he got in a right tizzy about it. They want him to disappear out of England, that's for sure.

Just because Wenger said he's sentimental about Arsenal and wouldn't want to manage another club, doesn't mean to say he won't.

He could revive that club. It's a huge challenge. Long shot, but not out of the question.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
PSG would be ideal for him so he can win a league title and go out with a bang but I doubt they would go for him as its the champions league they want and he cant bring it to them.

Monaco is a good shout along with either England or France, should they decide to change their coach.

Not much else for him apart from that, unless he manages in some random overseas country which I doubt as he doesn't need the money and is getting a bit old for i'd presume.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Where is this Everton link coming from?

He is nearly 69-70, this Everton 'project' needs years, he doesn't have that long. He has said it himself its almost impossible for him to manage anyone in the PL right now other than Arsenal.

He is burnt out, nearing the end of his managerial career, if anything he may take something short-term instead of battling it out with a lower mid-table team.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You may be on to something here but I think it may be a bit early to switch managers especially when Nishino has just taken the reins. If we're talking about national team jobs, the France managerial position might be more likely. Deschamps has been there for quite some time; if the World Cup results are less than satisfactory, I can see his position being in jeopardy.

Otherwise, it's probably the French league; Monaco being the likeliest of destinations.
Oh, I didn't realize they have got rid of Halilhodžić.

El Pasillo

I actually don't know what to say because it's really shocking how for no good reason people overrate France, even on a paper it makes no sense. At the exception of Benzema, Varane and now Griezmann, France don't have players with big competitions experience, at least not among the players in their prime, Benzema and Varane weren't at the EURO and Benzema has generally been underwhelming for France because he wanted to do too much, he was better for Deschamps though.
Yeah, people loves to mock Benzema for that infamous 1200+ minutes goal drought with France NT. But to be fair to Benzema, he used to play in a period where bums like Marvin Martin, Anthony Réveillère etc. were being called into the NT. His stats in 13 games with (inexperienced) Pogba & Griezmann during the 2014 World Cup period? 12 goals and 5 assists. Just a damn shame that Benzema isn't playing when France actually have a Golden Generation.

Last edited:

Camilo

West Ham is what I’m hearing. Don’t see why a man who didn’t want to leave Arsenal and has spent the last 20 years in London would be heading to China.