Artificial pitches in Top Competition?

Hughie77

Wankdorf stadium pitch for champions league is not and should not be acceptable for major competition. So why does UEFA approve such pitche To play 90mins on a awful surface should not be allowed . Training pitches for 20 mins, or kids to play on all year round fair enough for a major competition no such pitch should ever be used.

LJJT

Not allowed in premier league or championship and shouldn’t be allowed in European competitions. No matter what any one says YB had an advantage on that pitch

Lightbringer

In early here, I am fan of Hammarby in sweden and we have an artificial pitch. And I can say it goes both ways, we suck on natural grass because the players train on artificial pitch all the time. So it goes both ways!

spiriticon

It's bloody awful. Shouldn't be allowed in top competitions like the Champion's League. It's Sunday league five-a-side standard for god's sakes.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Would you rather play on an awful, patchy grass pitch?
Or should we just get rid of teams from regions where the weather isn't great?

Eric_the_Red99

I could sort of understand clubs in the far north of Europe having to use artificial pitches during their winter, as a grass pitch would be difficult to maintain in that climate. But no way is the weather that bad in Bern.

It’s pure gamesmanship. But judging by last night, cheating seems to be a big part of their game.

Dansk

It's inexcusable. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that we lost because of it, it's very clear that our players struggled with it, and it's absurd that a team that regularly plays on astroturf gets to have that kind of advantage in the CL. For that level of play, pitches need to be as similar as can reasonably be expected. Why the feck does a Swiss team not have real grass in September? I'd understand if it was Iceland in January or something.

Players with bloodied knees after one sliding tackle. Players slipping every few minutes. For all we know, maybe the red card wouldn't have happened if the game took place on a proper pitch. Individual leagues can have their own rules all they want, but a club playing in a European competition that includes teams from leagues where artificial turf literally isn't allowed should be required to have real grass. It's a matter of common sense.

Last edited:

Hughie77

The pitch was a worry for me even before ko. From the previous time we went there, AWB was slipping on it, Pogba slipped on it a few players in 1st half slipped on it. Shaw has said it's a pitch you have trouble turning on. So it's about time UEFA done something.