Arturo Vidal is glad he turned down Manchester United last summer (didn't actually say that at all)

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hasn't he been littered with disciplinary issues (alcohol) during his short time with Bayern anyway? @Balu I remember you saying you'd be happy if he was gone or something along those lines.

Norris

I only read the article (well anything on goal is not really an article) on Goal and it said that there was intial interest from United and he liked the offer they put up, but we never took it forward further forward. So it wasn't exactly a rejection to be frank.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I said directly after his incident during the World Cup Copa America that we should stay for away from him. The reports that been coming out of München lately seem to confirm that was a good stance.

So in short, I'm also glad he turned us down.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not even upset. Which player that has rejected us won't be happy they did so.
Every man and his dog knows we are rubbish. Something has got to change.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
As far as I can see, he does not actually name Man United in these quotes, only says he had an offer from England for a move which almost happened.

He also does not say he's 'glad he turned the offer down' lol, only that "it didn't happen and he chose to come to Bayern".

The Times, and thread, headline is worthy of a goal.com item...

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
I'm not even convinced that he really "turned us down". We've seen in the past situations of agents saying that they are representing United, when in fact they weren't (can't remember the example, was it the de Gea saga last year?).

RaptorSlo

I'm not even convinced that he really "turned us down". We've seen in the past situations of agents saying that they are representing United, when in fact they weren't (can't remember the example, was it the de Gea saga last year?).
You mean Herrera?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Hasn't he been littered with disciplinary issues (alcohol) during his short time with Bayern anyway? @Balu I remember you saying you'd be happy if he was gone or something along those lines.
Yeah, but he denied all of them to be true. He struggled to nail down a regular starting spot in the first half of the season and didn't stand out. He plays great since the winterbreak though and if not for Müller's ridiculous wondergoal would have been my man of the match on Saturday. I'm happy to have him in the squad, but I don't think he'll be the key player for us that he was for Chile and Juve from 2011-2014, so I wouldn't mind if he left and we got one of the many quality young midfield talents to replace him. Our situation is of course a bit different to United's.

I've no clue why he's talking about other clubs at all though, he should shut up and focus on playing against his former club.

/edit: reading the quotes, I'm not sure if he even mentioned United, at least not directly. Oh well, who knows.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The deal was close, but we pulled out from it on the last minute because of his knee issues. Understandable decision, but the wrong one definatly. Even with one knee, he would have improved our team. His winner, never surrender mentallity is something we lack as well.

It worked out better for bim than us in the end.

Siorac

Yeah, but he denied all of them to be true. He struggled to nail down a regular starting spot in the first half of the season and didn't stand out. He plays great since the winterbreak though and if not for Müller's ridiculous wondergoal would have been my man of the match on Saturday. I'm happy to have him in the squad, but I don't think he'll be the key player for us that he was for Chile and Juve from 2011-2014, so I wouldn't mind if he left and we got one of the many quality young midfield talents to replace him. Our situation is of course a bit different to United's.

I've no clue why he's talking about other clubs at all though, he should shut up and focus on playing against his former club.

/edit: reading the quotes, I'm not sure if he even mentioned United, at least not directly. Oh well, who knows.
He was probably asked by the Times journalist if he had any offers from England. I doubt he arranged a press conference himself to announce this.

CM

As far as I can see, he does not actually name Man United in these quotes, only says he had an offer from England for a move which almost happened.

He also does not say he's 'glad he turned the offer down' lol, only that "it didn't happen and he chose to come to Bayern".

This.

Also, wasn't he more strongly linked to Arsenal than us last summer? There's a fair chance he isn't even talking about us.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He was probably asked by the Times journalist if he had any offers from England. I doubt he arranged a press conference himself to announce this.
Yeah, see the edit. I read the actual quotes after answering to the post, should never do that. He really didn't do or say anything wrong or controversial.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Thanks, as always, for the response mate. Hope you're well.

Smores

The deal was close, but we pulled out from it on the last minute because of his knee issues. Understandable decision, but the wrong one definatly. Even with one knee, he would have improved our team. His winner, never surrender mentallity is something we lack as well.

It worked out better for bim than us in the end.
Where exactly are you getting the info that we pulled out? Funny how that seems to be the case when we miss on a player these days. He doesn't even mention it was us.

Anyway we should get used to it, winners will go elsewhere until we prove we can offer them trophies. For the foreseeable we'll just get those lacking other opportunities and those who prefer money.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Where exactly are you getting the info that we pulled out? Funny how that seems to be the case when we miss on a player these days. He doesn't even mention it was us.

Anyway we should get used to it, winners will go elsewhere until we prove we can offer them trophies. For the foreseeable we'll just get those lacking other opportunities and those who prefer money.
friends and family members told Chilean reporters (from a reputable newspaper, nothing like the sun) he was joining us. Why would they lie about it? (this was late december 2014)

Probably a verbal agreement was reached, but someone pulled off on the last minute. My money is on the club pulling back, because Felicevich was quite excited to have both Sanchez and Vidal in England, plus the money involved was much higher than what he got 6 months later moving to Bayern Munich.

Also our situation back then wasn't as bad as today, we still had a reputation. Now i think we are truly fecked and agree we might have to conform with the Felipe Andersons out there, instead of the top tier players, unless we start giving away blank cheques...

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
Way things are going, If we had got Vidal, we'd probably have let him drive the team coach...

The facts get in the way

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not exactly what he said. Actually speaks pretty highly of us but we never persued him (if we're the English club he's talking about) and then Bayern took him.

"Yes, there was a chance to come to England," Vidal told The Times. "It was last summer, and at one point, we thought that is what would happen.

"I liked the opportunity that they had offered me, but eventually it did not happen and I chose to come to Bayern. There are always many teams around that go to my agent."

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We didn't want another boozer anyway. Rooney is enough.

Hojoon

This. Shocking headline from The Times.

Judas

Open to offers
The lunacy of every single twitter post the club made being followed up with hundreds and hundreds of responses like "VIDAL VIDAL VIDAL" "SIGN VIDAL" "THIS ISN'T VIDAL" :lol:

It was either that or SACK ASHLEY YOUNG.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I'm just happy that we were in for him afterall. Maybe I can finally change my location status.

izec

The worries about his knee problems were too big to pay the money Juve wanted. It was so obvious we wanted him at one point and were close, but in the end we dropped. Well documented also