Asensio

Giggsyking

It's possible that we will not be able to get Antony over the line and, given how late it is in the window, we wouldn't have time to start from scratch on a backup target - it's conceivable that we might be progressing things a bit with Asensio (another left-footed, right-sided forward), in case we can't make a deal with Ajax for Antony.

Of course, it's also possible that this story is a load of rubbish, concocted by someone in Spain.
I would rather wait to the winter window, than buy a player with no knees left.

Von Mistelroum

Just one of the three. Plus a backup goalkeeper.
This. Glazers are not going nuts with signings. Casemiro was instead of FdJ and Antony is the bonus due to the panic of a terrible start to the season. If we can't get him then we'll turn to the other options in super last minute panic.

Suv666

Worth a gamble imo if his wages are low.
Could be a Pedro to Chelsea like shrewd signing.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This can't be right. A position we don't need and the money could be easily used elsewhere.
EtH wants numbers in the forward positions - he said so in the post match after Liverpool.

So maybe the Depay/Asensio rumours could be true

Widow

EtH wants numbers in the forward positions - he said so in the post match after Liverpool.

So maybe the Depay/Asensio rumours could be true
Depay I could see as he'd cover the left and the forward role but Asensio is a Jack of all trades, master of none kind of player. Not quick enough for the wide role and not technical enough for the middle. I really don't see him being used that much at United, we'll see though.

gustavo

Never been a huge fan of this guy so hoping this is another one of those "Sun exclusives" (although they are quoting a rather better source in my opinion)...

10TH JUN 2022, 10:31
United favourites to land Asensio
Manchester United are among the favourites to land Real Madrid star Marco Asensio, according to Mundo Deportivo.
The Spanish international is eyeing a move away from the Bernabeu in order to guarantee regular first team football ahead of November's World Cup.
Juventus are also keen on the 26-year-old attacking midfielder, who is said to have had a number of offers from abroad.
Asensio scored ten goals in 31 LaLiga appearances for Real last term.
Forget about Asensio he´s a "pecho Frio" "no pone la patita".
we need eleven Ronneys

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Asensio? Why not Lucas Vasquez while we're at it? Maybe we can take Mariano too?
Left footed right winger. If Antony is falling through, then we still need a left footed right winger.

I did call this one ages ago saying we should go for him if nothing else, left footed right wingers are rare.

bosnian_red

This can't be right. A position we don't need and the money could be easily used elsewhere.
The position is definitely needed - left footed right winger. I'm guessing its backup for Antony this summer and we go back for Antony next summer (and then we have Antony, Asensio, Rashford, Sancho as 4 main wingers).

Widow

The position is definitely needed - left footed right winger. I'm guessing its backup for Antony this summer and we go back for Antony next summer (and then we have Antony, Asensio, Rashford, Sancho as 4 main wingers).
He isn't good enough though. His lack of pace is a major factor, he'll be the new Mata. Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Antony and Garnacho would be good enough.

Regardless, there are zero creditable sources stating that we are moving for him so I don't see much in this one.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Every time I see his name I think of Arsenio Hall - wouldn't put it past Arnold and Murtough to be muddled too...

bosnian_red

He isn't good enough though. His lack of pace is a major factor, he'll be the new Mata. Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Antony and Garnacho would be good enough.

Regardless, there are zero creditable sources stating that we are moving for him so I don't see much in this one.
Of course Antony is the priority, but if it falls through it wouldn't surprise me. He's a decent player, once had huge potential but he stalled a bit. But he could be a useful squad player on the right for us, and we'd still go in for Antony next summer.

GoldanoGraham

This is a Woodward type singing - nobody wants him and there’s a reason for it - he is not good enough.

This is just clickbait as Madrid trying to offload him and trying to accelerate someone into buying him.

Lazy journalism.

croadyman

Won't happen in a million years but would people take FDJ, cheap RB and him

Madrid22

Supports
Real Madrid
I can't believe that Man Utd will take Asensio, we're opening champagne.

Advice: Don't.

Ted Lasso

I can't believe that Man Utd will take Asensio, we're opening champagne.

Advice: Don't.
I would treat this like United fans warning about Lingard. Warranted but the drop to West Ham level was exactly the tonic needed to get the best out of the player.

Probably the same for Asensio. The quality is there but perhaps a drop to United would help him buckle down and get some consistency both in minutes on the pitch and his headspace.

Madrid22

Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't he suppose to be the best thing since slice bread?
I never knew why some said so. But that was in 2014 when he looked promising, now he is 26 and he'll never ever be a United level player, trust me. We can't see the time he leaves and Florentino buys someone new. Our patience was lost years ago. He scores amazing goals from time to time though, he shoots well from far away. But that's all he does.

I honestly don't understand why the very very rich and legend Manchester United is buying so bad in the last years. Casemiro? Asensio??? Please you deserve top quality and can afford it. What's going on up there? When Florentino started in his job he copied everything from you. You were the top number one club in the world concerning modern business, world wide fans and the richest club year after year. He even hired Queiroz only to bring all your systems here. Now you are like... lost in the ocean since Ferguson left? I don't follow the Premier league or any club but wonder what happened to the legend and top club in the 90s and 00s.

I would treat this like United fans warning about Lingard. Warranted but the drop to West Ham level was exactly the tonic needed to get the best out of the player.

Probably the same for Asensio. The quality is there but perhaps a drop to United would help him buckle down and get some consistency both in minutes on the pitch and his headspace.
Trust me. No. He is not Man Utd material. You deserve much better. Just fire the guys that are hiring bad quality players for so long when you are so wealthy and top world club in prestige. Casemiro isn't a good idea either but out of despair, ok.

dinostar77

Asensio can play through the middle as well. If utd are looking at him, maybe its for his versatility? Ericisson cant play every game and asensio could fit into ericssons role ?

Personally, antony and another technical CM would be good before the window shuts.