Ashes II - 2013/14 - In Australia

NinjaFletch

New tour, new thread.

November

21-25 1st Test, Brisbane (00:00 GMT)

December

5-9 2nd Test, Adelaide (00:00 GMT)
13-17 3rd Test. Perth (02:30 GMT)
26-30 4th Test, Melbourne (23:30 GMT, 26-29 Dec)
January
3-7 5th Test, Sydney (SCG) (23:30 GMT, 2-6 Jan)
12 1st ODI, Melbourne (d/n) (03:20 GMT)
17 2nd ODI, Brisbane (d/n) (03:20 GMT)
19 3rd ODI, Sydney (SCG) (d/n) (03:20 GMT)
24 4th ODI, Perth (d/n) (03:20 GMT)
26 5th ODI, Adelaide (d/n) (03:20 GMT)
29 1st Twenty20 international, Hobart (d/n) (08:35 GMT)
31 2nd Twenty20 international, Melbourne (d/n) (08:35 GMT)
February
2 3rd Twenty20 international, Sydney (Stadium Australia) (d/n) (08:35 GMT)
England's squad announced today.

Alastair Cook (captain), Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Gary Ballance, Michael Carberry, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior (vice-captain), Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Ben Stokes, Monty Panesar, Boyd Rankin, Steven Finn, Chris Tremlett.

I imagine baring any significant injuries we'll line up the same as we did in the fourth test over here with Rankin in for Bresnan.

Rankin and Ballance are both very good picks imo.

zing

Zingle balls
I think England will win this easily. Australia's best chance was the last tour. England are due runs.

zing

Zingle balls
And Rankin is a cracking bowler.

Very good squad. Quality all through. The bench strength is incredibly strong. Stokes, Panesar, Finn, Tremlett.. That's a test bowling line-up in itself.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think England will win this easily. Australia's best chance was the last tour. England are due runs.
I'm not going to predict because I said pretty much what would happen that the series wouldn't be really as one sided as people thought that when the backs are against the wall Aus may find the old class of old where they dig in and Aus missed a couple of chances to Cash in and couldn't string together consistent cricket which was fecking frustrating.

Lets face it, in Aus it will be hot, dry and fast. I'd be very surprised if we don't pick ODI capable players and just look to slay the shit out of England ASAP and hope to bowl them out. Rather than actually assemble a test playing squad with balance and ability in a way to play all-round good test cricket. Cook is overrated massively... : lol :

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Surprised they picked Panesar. Not that any of the other options would clearly perform better but at least you'd feel confident they wouldn't end up having to be sent home.

I'm guessing Stokes is just around for experience as, for all his obvious promise, he really hasn't done anything yet to justify selection in an Ashes XI.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why are the Ashes being played for again in the same year?
World Cup is in Australia/NZ next year so would've clashed with the Ashes. They decided to bring the series forward by 1 year.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Moises Henriques took 4 wickets on the greenest track you'll ever see at Bankstown yesterday (just up the road from my house). NSW held to 9/160odd and then Tassy was skittled for 98 after being 1/51. :lol:

Sanhdu and Hazlewood bowled well as well. We have some good bowlers coming through but not really the 'unity' that we've had in the past. Almost as though there are too many 'nearly' there options to cultivate or something. If Henriquez could perform consistently he'd nail down that no6 all rounder spot for sure. Smith also batted quite well.

All the players seem to be queuing up to have a big moan about the shedule as well :lol: "too much cricket waah waah waah" fecking suck it up you cretins. The nation is floundering and you're complaining about being paid to play to many games? fecking wankers.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
World Cup is in Australia/NZ next year so would've clashed with the Ashes. They decided to bring the series forward by 1 year.
Thanks. Out of interest, have any of you lot seen hurling? One of the best finals (&replays) ever this year. You should look at it in HD on youtube.

I watched the WC in 2006 or 07 where Ireland qualified for the second group stage. Twas interesting in that a few games came down to the final few balls, but I've never understood the 5-day game. Would someone go to all 5 days of the match?

NM

Thanks. Out of interest, have any of you lot seen hurling? One of the best finals (&replays) ever this year. You should look at it in HD on youtube.

I watched the WC in 2006 or 07 where Ireland qualified for the second group stage. Twas interesting in that a few games came down to the final few balls, but I've never understood the 5-day game. Would someone go to all 5 days of the match?

Some do - some don't. I would love to watch all 5 days of a great test match.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Coulter Nile looks like a decent prospect.

zing

Zingle balls
Looks a very good limited overs bowler at the moment.

Australia have no shortage of quicks.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Are the English team just running with the whole 'we've got tall fast bowlers and Aus is scared' line just for the sake of it?... :lol: Seems a bit ridiculous really, a lot of soundbyes from English players telling us that Rankin at 130kmh is tall and fast :lol:... But then again our media and journalism is just as shit as Englands.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Are the English team just running with the whole 'we've got tall fast bowlers and Aus is scared' line just for the sake of it?... :lol: Seems a bit ridiculous really, a lot of soundbyes from English players telling us that Rankin at 130kmh is tall and fast :lol:... But then again our media and journalism is just as shit as Englands.

Rankin has upped his pace in the last year, regularly 140+ now.

KM

Honestly think Australia should play Mitch Johnson. He's inconsistent but bowl him in short spells of 3-4 overs and he can deliver you a wicket. He bowls 150k regularly and I can see him troubling some batsmen with his short bowling in the Australian pitches.

NinjaFletch

Honestly think Australia should play Mitch Johnson. He's inconsistent but bowl him in short spells of 3-4 overs and he can deliver you a wicket. He bowls 150k regularly and I can see him troubling some batsmen with his short bowling in the Australian pitches.

Too inconsistent a test bowler for me, he bowls too much shit thats going to go for runs and batsman are going to leave his good balls well alone. Fair enough, he'll bowl a delivery with someones name on now and again, but he's an ODI bowler for me.

KM

Good to see Mitch Marsh getting runs. Very good prospect.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Bailey deserves chance in test team for Australia. I think Australia have a chance in their own backyard.

KM

He's already a much better player than Pathan ever was.

Anyway Johnson has gone back to Australia for preparation of Ashes.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Please.. Don't. Someone might hear you, take you seriously and actually include him.
He's already a much better player than Pathan ever was. Anyway Johnson has gone back to Australia for preparation of Ashes.
Oh feck off. Put two century counters on Cook, Bell and Pieterson.

zing

Zingle balls
I'd wait to see how he bowls in the Shield matches.

He's bowling very fast. Let's see how good his control is over 4 days.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Even in England he had no control. He controlled it for about 3 spells then that's it. In india he's been fecking hammered. Fast bowlers are slap fodder unless they are accurate.

DOTA

Nice first day...

Didn't see any of it and don't know much about the bowlers. Weak attack on a flat pitch or good batting?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Flat Pitch. The Aussies are clearly putting on some flat decks for England to play on in the practice matches before putting some bouncy green pitches for the actual tests with Mitch Johnson firing away

KM

Flat Pitch. The Aussies are clearly putting on some flat decks for England to play on in the practice matches before putting some bouncy green pitches for the actual tests with Mitch Johnson firing away

BCCI actually did the same with England and provided them with flat pitches when England recently toured India. Didn't work.

zing

Zingle balls
Hobart is as flat as a sub-continental pitch.

It's where India chased down 300+ in 30 odd overs.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Looks like the Carberry opening talk has gained real momentum with that knock last night.

I'd have kept Root there personally, but not fussed with both in the side, Carberry adds the bonus of potentially being quite aggressive up top, which we had lacked lately.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Carberry has impressed me in the County games and deserves his chance at Test level, with Root just slotting in the middle order.

The Aussie commentators were discussing whether these warm-up games would help or hinder England. Apparently this is the reserves to the reserves (3rd string) bowling attack and the last warm-up game will also feature reserve players. On the one hand England will go into the series with confidence but they won't have played against any top-quality bowling so may be under-prepared. Will be interesting to see if the weak selection of players back-fires on Australia.

DOTA

Carberry has impressed me in the County games and deserves his chance at Test level, with Root just slotting in the middle order.

The Aussie commentators were discussing whether these warm-up games would help or hinder England. Apparently this is the reserves to the reserves (3rd string) bowling attack and the last warm-up game will also feature reserve players. On the one hand England will go into the series with confidence but they won't have played against any top-quality bowling so may be under-prepared. Will be interesting to see if the weak selection of players back-fires on Australia.
I think it's quite a foolish plan from Australia, personally.

That said, England seem to bat horrendously in their first innings of every away series, so it will probably end up looking like genius whether it is or not.