Assessing this Utd squad before the summer - Who needs to go - who can stay...

Oranges038

I was a bit bored and was just looking at the current squad. There's about 40 players including those in and out on loan. I am not looking at who will come in or thinking about how any potential take over affects transfers in & out etc.

We all know that there's a real lack of quality in depth, plus there's certain positions where the players who are there already just need to be moved on.

This is just my take on this current group of players.

No.Pos.PlayerContract EndsVerdict
1​
GKDavid de GeaJune 2023Replace - contracts up, rejected a new deal - time for him to go
2​
DFVictor LindelöfJune 2024Keep as backup, but wouldn't be against him leaving as he's only got 1 year left anyway
4​
DFPhil JonesJune 2023?Release
5​
DFHarry MaguireJune 2025Sell - he's been brutally exposed, not sure if he can recover from it, he just needs to go.
6​
DFLisandro MartínezJune 2027Keep
8​
MFBruno FernandesJune 2026Keep
9​
FWAnthony MartialJune 2024?1 year left?? Sell - whatever I can get for him, I'd take it.
10​
FWMarcus RashfordJune 2024Keep
11​
FWMason GreenwoodJune 2025Jury is still out - not literally, but there needs to be a proper look into his situation
12​
DFTyrell MalaciaJune 2026Keep
14​
MFChristian EriksenJune 2025Keep
17​
MFFredJune 2024Keep
18​
MFCasemiroJune 2026Keep
19​
DFRaphaël VaraneJune 2025Keep
20​
DFDiogo DalotJune 2024Replace - he's just not good enough
21​
MFAntonyJune 2027Keep
22​
GKTom HeatonJune 2023Keep as 3rd Choice
23​
DFLuke ShawJune 2027Keep
25​
FWJadon SanchoJune 2026Keep (for now - I'll give him 1 more chance)
28​
FWFacundo PellistriJune 2025Keep - might be worth giving him another loan - he's useful backup for the right wing.
29​
DFAaron Wan-BissakaJune 2024Replace - he's just not good enough
33​
DFBrandon WilliamsJune 2024Sell
34​
MFDonny van de BeekJune 2025Sell
36​
FWAnthony ElangaJune 2026Sell
39​
MFScott McTominayJune 2025Sell
43​
DFTeden MengiJune 2024Only 20 - seems too injury prone - Sell
49​
FWAlejandro GarnachoJune 2024?Keep
55​
MFZidane IqbalJune 2025Keep (send on loan)
73​
MFKobbie MainooJune 2027Keep (send on loan)
Out on Loan
3​
DFEric BaillyJune 2024Sell
16​
FWAmad DialloJune 2025Give him a season in the squad to see how he does
26​
GKDean HendersonJune 2025Sell
38​
DFAxel TuanzebeJune 2023Release
46​
MFHannibal MejbriJune 2026Give him a season in the squad to see how he does - could easily replace McT/Fred/Sabitzer without being much worse
47​
FWShola ShoretireSigned new deal?Keep (send on loan)
74​
DFÁlvaro FernándezJune 2024Keep (send on loan)
DFAlex TellesJune 2024Sell or release, whatever is cheaper
DFEthan LairdJuen 2023? Probably release - Doesn't look like he'll be getting a new deal
In on Loan
15​
MFMarcel SabitzerJune 2023Return to sender
27​
FWWout WeghorstJune 2023Return to sender
31​
GKJack ButlandJune 2023Return to sender

TLDR

Overall assessment

Players out on loan

Álvaro Fernández / Shola Shoretire - Keep & send out on loan again.
Hannibal Mejbri / Amad Diallo - Keep & give them a chance to in the squad next year
Eric Bailly / Dean Henderson / Axel Tuanzebe / Alex Telles - All just need to go

Loanees
Just send them back.

Overall Squad
David de Gea / Phil Jones / Harry Maguire / Anthony Martial / Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Diogo Dalot / Teden Mengi / Brandon Williams / Donny van de Beek / Anthony Elanga / (Ethan Laird / Eric Bailly / Dean Henderson / Axel Tuanzebe / Alex Telles - on loan) - this lot can go.

Not sure if I've missed any players. But, there's 14/15 first squad players there including those out on loan who just need to go. Goes without saying that it can be difficult to offload players especially when they are on big wages, but if you look at the Arsenal approach to it, this is what needs to be done, get rid of these players who are overpaid and offer very little return, even if you have to pay them some sort of incentive to go, it's worth it in the long run. This lot could be offloaded and replaced with 6/7 players over a couple of windows and I personally don't think any of them would be missed.

How would you assess it?

croadyman

I was a bit bored and was just looking at the current squad. There's about 40 players including those in and out on loan. I am not looking at who will come in or thinking about how any potential take over affects transfers in & out etc.

We all know that there's a real lack of quality in depth, plus there's certain positions where the players who are there already just need to be moved on.

1​
GKDavid de GeaJune 2023Replace - contracts up, rejected a new deal - time for him to go
2​
DFVictor LindelöfJune 2024Keep as backup, but wouldn't be against him leaving as he's only got 1 year left anyway
4​
5​
DFHarry MaguireJune 2025Sell - he's been brutally exposed, not sure if he can recover from it, he just needs to go.
6​
8​
9​
FWAnthony MartialJune 2024?1 year left?? Sell - whatever I can get for him, I'd take it.
10​
11​
FWMason GreenwoodJune 2025Jury is still out - not literally, but there needs to be a proper look into his situation
12​
14​
17​
MFFredJune 2024Keep
18​
MFCasemiroJune 2026Keep
19​
20​
21​
MFAntonyJune 2027Keep
22​
23​
DFLuke ShawJune 2027Keep
25​
28​
FWFacundo PellistriJune 2025Keep - might be worth giving him another loan - he's useful backup for the right wing.
29​
33​
34​
36​
39​
43​
49​
55​
73​
Out on Loan
3​
16​
26​
38​
46​
MFHannibal MejbriJune 2026Give him a season in the squad to see how he does - could easily replace McT/Fred/Sabitzer without being much worse
47​
74​
DFEthan LairdJuen 2023?Probably release - Doesn't look like he'll be getting a new deal
In on Loan
15​
27​
31​

TLDR

Overall assessment

Players out on loan

Hannibal Mejbri / Amad Diallo - Keep & give them a chance to in the squad next year
Eric Bailly / Dean Henderson / Axel Tuanzebe / Alex Telles - All just need to go

Loanees
Just send them back.

Overall Squad
David de Gea / Phil Jones / Harry Maguire / Anthony Martial / Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Diogo Dalot / Teden Mengi / Brandon Williams / Donny van de Beek / Anthony Elanga / (Ethan Laird / Eric Bailly / Dean Henderson / Axel Tuanzebe / Alex Telles - on loan) - this lot can go.

Not sure if I've missed any players. But, there's 14/15 first squad players there including those out on loan who just need to go. Goes without saying that it can be difficult to offload players especially when they are on big wages, but if you look at the Arsenal approach to it, this is what needs to be done, get rid of these players who are overpaid and offer very little return, even if you have to pay them some sort of incentive to go, it's worth it in the long run. This lot could be offloaded and replaced with 6/7 players over a couple of windows and I personally don't think any of them would be missed.

How would you assess it?
My gut feeling with De Gea is that because the club will feel there is bigger priorities he will get another season. They probably think if we can bring in another couple of midfielders better at taking the ball off defence that will negate the issue a bit.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Everyone will need to go at some point it's just a question of in what order and why. Expensive not good enough players are the first target, so Martial, Maguire, DdG (subject to upgrade being available) are first out.

Oranges038

Everyone will need to go at some point it's just a question of in what order and why. Expensive not good enough players are the first target, so Martial, Maguire, DdG (subject to upgrade being available) are first out.
Yeah, that's obvious, but I am looking at next few seasons, not 10 years from now.

There's plenty of those players that have a role to play over the next few years. The ones I've said need to go shouldn't be still here after the summer in my opnion.

I do however understand that letting 14/15 players go and bringing in 7 or 8 is not practically possible with things being the way they are.

padzilla

Hipster
The problem with a large cull of players is that it could leave the overall squad short of depth, because to replace them with a vast number of superior players could cost an unsustainable amount. I would say try and ship out 3-4 players this summer and bring in a similar amount of players.

Martial, for example, has a great chance from now until the end of the season to stake a claim for being kept around with Weghorst his only real rival for the central striker slot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, first thing first is this McTominay joke needs to finally end. There are obviously other players who need to leave too, but as was the case last summer, I will simply be unable to take any new day seriously if the club line is that McTominay is still an important part of any squad. It’s become symbolic for me. The way it is in my mind, any serious coach should be coming in and immediately saying ‘this isn’t a United player’. If you can’t do that, then the rest of your big words about setting this new standard carries less weight to me.

This is what happened with Fellaini under Solskjær. He was even an interim, and clearly didn’t come in with plans to overhaul the squad, but even with his limited scope, it was first thing first, if we are going to be Manchester United - we can’t have Marouane Fellaini in our midfield, and he was immediately taken of the team and out as soon as the January window opened. That sort of action at least convinces me that you are serious about making us a football team and setting standards. Clearly from the outside Ole (and other ex players from what we heard) had been watching scratching their heads that MF plays for United. That’s what I need to see with Scott. The rest can be more subjective.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

1​
2​
4​
5​
6​
8​
9​
10​
11​
12​
14​
17​
MFFredJune 2024Keep
18​
MFCasemiroJune 2026Keep
19​
20​
21​
MFAntonyJune 2027Keep
22​
23​
DFLuke ShawJune 2027Keep
25​
28​
29​
33​
34​
36​
39​
43​
49​
55​
73​
Out on Loan
3​
16​
26​
38​
46​
47​
74​
DFEthan LairdJuen 2023?Probably release - Doesn't look like he'll be getting a new deal
In on Loan
15​
27​
31​

TLDR

Overall assessment

Players out on loan

Loanees
Just send them back.

Overall Squad

How would you assess it?
Generally agree with your list. We need to raise about 100m from transfers (give or take) to fund a top striker and more midfield depth. That may be easier if the club is sold and the new owners want to make a statement, but assuming that doesn't happen most of the usual suspects will need to be moved on to buy the likes of Kane, Osimhen, Bellingham and others.

Herman Toothrot

1​
2​
4​
5​
6​
8​
9​
10​
11​
12​
14​
17​
MFFredJune 2024Keep
18​
MFCasemiroJune 2026Keep
19​
20​
21​
MFAntonyJune 2027Keep
22​
23​
DFLuke ShawJune 2027Keep
25​
28​
29​
33​
34​
36​
39​
43​
49​
55​
73​
Out on Loan
3​
16​
26​
38​
46​
47​
74​
In on Loan
15​
27​
31​

TLDR

Overall assessment

Players out on loan

Loanees
Just send them back.

Overall Squad

How would you assess it?
All of those minus De Gea and one of Dalot or Wan Basska. We can't sell and replace all of them and realistically hope to get world-class and backup strikers, at least another world-class central midfielder and a quality right back. Between FFP and no movement on the sale of the club, it would be madness to prioritise replacing De Gea this summer, he's dug us out of a hole on many occasions this season, while his long-term future has a massive question mark over it, its not this summers problem. Same with the right backs. We need two and can't really afford two new ones.

romufc

I think apart from the players we have signed this summer, Luke Shaw, Varane, Garnacho, if any club comes for an offer for any other player, we should sell.

That includes Rashford, Bruno, Dalot, AWB and Sancho.

Players and manager this season have spoken about lack of desire in games we have lost badly, Brentford, City, Pool and Newcastle.

Shaw, Bruno, Rashford, Dalot, DDG have started all those games and been poor.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Martial, for example, has a great chance from now until the end of the season to stake a claim for being kept around with Weghorst his only real rival for the central striker slot.
:lol:

Herman Toothrot

I think apart from the players we have signed this summer, Luke Shaw, Varane, Garnacho, if any club comes for an offer for any other player, we should sell.

That includes Rashford, Bruno, Dalot, AWB and Sancho.

Players and manager this season have spoken about lack of desire in games we have lost badly, Brentford, City, Pool and Newcastle.

Shaw, Bruno, Rashford, Dalot, DDG have started all those games and been poor.
So stupid. I've known another self-loathing, axe-grinding fanbase like it.

Remind me, how did Martinez and Casemero play against Liverpool? Can't question Casemero against Newcastle because he was missing one his seven games through suspension this season, is this lack of discipline now celebrated? Varane didn't shine in these games either.

Why not nuke Old Trafford from orbit? Sure, I've had a brilliant time at the matches this season, but we've hit some bad form so lets have a fecking tantrum and cancel everything.

My lord!

glazed

Yeah, that's obvious, but I am looking at next few seasons, not 10 years from now.
Yeah I know. i only mentioned it because our key midfield players are over 30 which is a big problem. By the time Antony and Sancho are world class (hypothetically), Casemiro and Erikson will have turned into late era Matic and Mata. So we will never get a team of talents peaking at the same time. And yet those two are short term extremely valuable. But in three years time they will be liabilities. What to do?

Oranges038

All of those minus De Gea and one of Dalot or Wan Basska. We can't sell and replace all of them and realistically hope to get world-class and backup strikers, at least another world-class central midfielder and a quality right back. Between FFP and no movement on the sale of the club, it would be madness to prioritise replacing De Gea this summer, he's dug us out of a hole on many occasions this season, while his long-term future has a massive question mark over it, its not this summers problem. Same with the right backs. We need two and can't really afford two new ones.
I don't agree with that. He's made some top saves but they don't gloss over his deficiencies anymore. Newcastle on Sunday highlighted once again that he is too easy to press and he has no command of his area. These are massive issues that impact how the whole team plays. Despite what people like to believe he could very easily be replaced and now that his contract is up it is the perfect time to do it.

Like I said, this is not about looking at replacements, this is looking at this squad and whether or not they are worth keeping.

The problem with a large cull of players is that it could leave the overall squad short of depth, because to replace them with a vast number of superior players could cost an unsustainable amount. I would say try and ship out 3-4 players this summer and bring in a similar amount of players.

Even with this fecking huge list of players, quantity is not as much an issue as is the quality of that depth. Even if all those players stay we still need to see 7/8 players in over time, including 3/4 players capable of starting. 10/11 of those players I listed rarely see any meaningful game time at Utd. Nobody would really notice if they left.

romufc

So stupid. I've known another self-loathing, axe-grinding fanbase like it.

Remind me, how did Martinez and Casemero play against Liverpool? Can't question Casemero against Newcastle because he was missing one his seven games through suspension this season, is this lack of discipline now celebrated? Varane didn't shine in these games either.

Why not nuke Old Trafford from orbit? Sure, I've had a brilliant time at the matches this season, but we've hit some bad form so lets have a fecking tantrum and cancel everything.

My lord!
Casemiro, Varane and Licha have been very good this season, but the eye test also tells you they have the quality.

Yes, Rashford scored us the goals but that is the counter attacking way, if we want to dominate games, he clearly isnt good enough.

I mean Bruno and Rashford have been part of all of our embarrassing defeats. Everyone on here knows I love Bruno but that does not mean I cannot criticise him. Will I force to sell him? No. but if someone is interested, I would 100% take the money and let him leave.

SparkedIntoLife

It really depends on the ownership and how much we have to spend but I'd rather be ruthless than not -

1GKDavid de GeaJune 2023Keep and buy a young apprentice
2DFVictor LindelöfJune 2024Sell
4DFPhil JonesJune 2023?Release
5DFHarry MaguireJune 2025Sell
6DFLisandro MartínezJune 2027Keep
8MFBruno FernandesJune 2026Keep
9FWAnthony MartialJune 2024?Keep - we'll get nothing for him, can't sell him, we're woefully short of ST depth and he may want to impress in the last year of his contract (and he's great on occasion)
10FWMarcus RashfordJune 2024Keep
11FWMason GreenwoodJune 2025Sell/release
12DFTyrell MalaciaJune 2026Keep
14MFChristian EriksenJune 2025Keep
17MFFredJune 2024Keep
18MFCasemiroJune 2026Keep
19DFRaphaël VaraneJune 2025Keep
20DFDiogo DalotJune 2024Sell - contract is expiring and he's not quite good enough, though very professional by all accounts
21MFAntonyJune 2027Keep
22GKTom HeatonJune 2023Keep as 3rd Choice
23DFLuke ShawJune 2027Keep
25FWJadon SanchoJune 2026Keep
28FWFacundo PellistriJune 2025Loan out
29DFAaron Wan-BissakaJune 2024Keep
33DFBrandon WilliamsJune 2024Sell
34MFDonny van de BeekJune 2025Sell
36FWAnthony ElangaJune 2026Sell
39MFScott McTominayJune 2025Sell
43DFTeden MengiJune 2024Loan out/sell
49FWAlejandro GarnachoJune 2024?Keep
55MFZidane IqbalJune 2025Loan out
73MFKobbie MainooJune 2027Keep
Out on Loan
3DFEric BaillyJune 2024Sell
16FWAmad DialloJune 2025Keep
26GKDean HendersonJune 2025Sell
38DFAxel TuanzebeJune 2023Release
46MFHannibal MejbriJune 2026Loan out
47FWShola ShoretireSigned new deal?Loan out
74DFÁlvaro FernándezJune 2024Loan out
DFAlex TellesJune 2024Sell
DFEthan LairdJuen 2023?Sell
In on Loan
15MFMarcel SabitzerJune 2023Return to sender
27FWWout WeghorstJune 2023Return to sender
31GKJack ButlandJune 2023Return to sender

Oranges038

Yeah I know. i only mentioned it because our key midfield players are over 30 which is a big problem. By the time Antony and Sancho are world class (hypothetically), Casemiro and Erikson will have turned into late era Matic and Mata. So we will never get a team of talents peaking at the same time. And yet those two are short term extremely valuable. But in three years time they will be liabilities. What to do?
With those, I think the key to unlocking Antony is finding right backs who compliment him down that side, neither Dalot or AWB are good enough, they both need to go. Sancho, i'm not sure, I don't think he has the tools to be an effective wide player without a rampaging full back going around him, if he's off the left, Shaw is not that player and neither is Malacia, down the right he's going to have the same problem as Antony without some new full backs coming in.

I have no doubt, Fred, McT, Sabitzer have proven they aren't up at any point, the drop off in terms of quality from Casemeiro and Eriksen is massive. That's why getting in at least new midfielders is key for me, need players who can step in when required, learn from and over time replace Eriksen and Casemeiro in 2/3 years.

Personally I look at this squad, those players I listed need to go that's my opnion, need a new keeper, 2 new right backs, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers. Immediate concern this summer should be a keeper, at least 1 right back, 2 midfielders and at least 1 striker. A turnover of 15-20 players is a massive ask and highly unlikely, this is the real world and not FM.

hobbers

Crucial: Varane, Martinez, Casemiro

Important: Shaw, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford

'Do their job': De Gea (Need to replace), AWB (probably leaving), Dalot, Lindelof, Malacia and Fred (all as back ups), Antony (barely), Heaton

Promising/more to come: Garnacho, Hannibal, Diallo and Pellestri (keep in the squad), Mainoo and Fernandez (loan out along with Shoretire and Iqbal)

Sell for a quick buck: Maguire, McTominay and Henderson (need to replace with some homegrowns though, probably), Elanga, Mengi, Williams

Get rid by any means: Bailly, Telles, Martial

Return to sender/Release: Weghorst, Sabitzer, Butland, Jones

Despair over: Sancho

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What we also need is to have a deputy for Bruno. He's one of the most played players in Europe in the past 3 seasons, yeah he's got a decent engine, but he can't keep doing it year after year. We need to reduce our reliance on him. for his own sake as well as ours.

Hobbers has got it pretty much spot on. If we can afford to keep paying Martials wages then i'd keep him for one more season as our CF depth is shite, doesnt matter if we bring in another striker we still need a half decent deputy and we can't bring in a host of new players in the Summer unless we want to become a mess like Chelsea and Forest.

Herman Toothrot

I don't agree with that. He's made some top saves but they don't gloss over his deficiencies anymore. Newcastle on Sunday highlighted once again that he is too easy to press and he has no command of his area. These are massive issues that impact how the whole team plays. Despite what people like to believe he could very easily be replaced and now that his contract is up it is the perfect time to do it.

Like I said, this is not about looking at replacements, this is looking at this squad and whether or not they are worth keeping.

Even with this fecking huge list of players, quantity is not as much an issue as is the quality of that depth. Even if all those players stay we still need to see 7/8 players in over time, including 3/4 players capable of starting. 10/11 of those players I listed rarely see any meaningful game time at Utd. Nobody would really notice if they left.
Fair enough. I still think it's overstated. Again, we have to be pragmatic about this. We don't have much money to spend right now, and even if we do, we need to sell before replacing because of FFP.
Casemiro, Varane and Licha have been very good this season, but the eye test also tells you they have the quality.

Yes, Rashford scored us the goals but that is the counter attacking way, if we want to dominate games, he clearly isnt good enough.

I mean Bruno and Rashford have been part of all of our embarrassing defeats. Everyone on here knows I love Bruno but that does not mean I cannot criticise him. Will I force to sell him? No. but if someone is interested, I would 100% take the money and let him leave.
The games you are talking about were shockers for Varane, Martinez and, when he was available, Casemero too.

11 or so players were playing in those games, and they were all shite. Beckham, Keane, Cantona and Scholes all played when we shipped six against Southampton, and most of them played when we lost by five at Newcastle. I don't see why you want to transfer your best players because they were involved in a bad result or two.

Bruno is not above criticism, but we'd be bonkers to sell him. The 'Rashford isn't good enough' nonsense is over now; he's scored almost every type of goal this season from playing as a winger; he's fecking mint. They both played in all our good performances, too; to their detriment, they've played more than anyone else and have about sixty goals and assists. Imagine if they had an actual striker to play with instead of Wout; imagine if Casemero hadn't been suspended for seven games, Eriksen hadn't missed a quarter of the season, and Sancho/Martial had been available. Selling your best players from a position of strength is one thing, but selling them when we've backed ourselves into a corner in the market is nuts.

Oranges038

Fair enough. I still think it's overstated. Again, we have to be pragmatic about this. We don't have much money to spend right now, and even if we do, we need to sell before replacing because of FFP.

The games you are talking about were shockers for Varane, Martinez and, when he was available, Casemero too.

11 or so players were playing in those games, and they were all shite. Beckham, Keane, Cantona and Scholes all played when we shipped six against Southampton, and most of them played when we lost by five at Newcastle. I don't see why you want to transfer your best players because they were involved in a bad result or two.

Bruno is not above criticism, but we'd be bonkers to sell him. The 'Rashford isn't good enough' nonsense is over now; he's scored almost every type of goal this season from playing as a winger; he's fecking mint. They both played in all our good performances, too; to their detriment, they've played more than anyone else and have about sixty goals and assists. Imagine if they had an actual striker to play with instead of Wout; imagine if Casemero hadn't been suspended for seven games, Eriksen hadn't missed a quarter of the season, and Sancho/Martial had been available. Selling your best players from a position of strength is one thing, but selling them when we've backed ourselves into a corner in the market is nuts.
There's 10-15 players there that could potentially be sold to raise money, some of them are out of contract and need to be released.

1. David de Gea - £0 - released
  2. Phil Jones - £0 - released
  3. Harry Maguire -£ 30 m
  4. Anthony Martial - £15m
  5. Aaron Wan-Bissaka - £10-15m
  6. Diogo Dalot - £10-15m
  7. Teden Mengi - £5m
  8. Brandon Williams - £10m
  9. Donny van de Beek - £ 15m (injured - but could still fetch that money when he's back.
  10. Anthony Elanga - £ 20m
  11. Ethan Laird - £0 - released
  12. Eric Bailly - £ 5m
  13. Dean Henderson - £15-20m
  14. Axel Tuanzebe - £10m
  15. Alex Telles - £1

You could get at most £145,000,001 for that lot - to be honest getting them all off the books and having 100m in the bank + the savings in wages wouldn't be bad business either. Most of them don't even need to be replaced.

romufc

I dont know if you read or just decided to gloss over... I said there are 4 games THIS season, Brentford, City, Liverpool and Newcastle where those 5/6 players have played and there has been nothing. Your comment about Beckham and that is useless as it was a one off game.

With this team, its not one off, the same players last season were the same. Rashford scores all tyes of goals but thats when we are playing on the counter, when we want to dominate the ball, Bruno and Rashford look lost, they can't play that football at the moment.

I have seen numerous times when we are playing out the back, Ball goes to Bruno, Rashford and it comes back.

I dont know what Sancho being available would have done, since January he has been available and had been putting in 2/10 performances. Sancho has shown literally nothing in a United shirt to suggest he can give us anything at the moment.

Herman Toothrot

There's 10-15 players there that could potentially be sold to raise money, some of them are out of contract and need to be released.

1. David de Gea - £0 - released
  2. Phil Jones - £0 - released
  3. Harry Maguire -£ 30 m
  4. Anthony Martial - £15m
  5. Aaron Wan-Bissaka - £10-15m
  6. Diogo Dalot - £10-15m
  7. Teden Mengi - £5m
  8. Brandon Williams - £10m
  9. Donny van de Beek - £ 15m (injured - but could still fetch that money when he's back.
  10. Anthony Elanga - £ 20m
  11. Ethan Laird - £0 - released
  12. Eric Bailly - £ 5m
  13. Dean Henderson - £15-20m
  14. Axel Tuanzebe - £10m
  15. Alex Telles - £1

You could get at most £145,000,001 for that lot - to be honest getting them all off the books and having 100m in the bank + the savings in wages wouldn't be bad business either. Most of them don't even need to be replaced.
If you get rid of all of them, you'll need:

Top Tier:
Goalkeeper
Centre Back
Right Back
Central Midfielder
Striker

Second Tier/Potential Tier:
Centre Back
Right Back
Central Midfielder
Striker

I don't think that business can be done in one window with our budget/restraints. I actually have some faith in the people running the club post-Woodward (not Glazers, obviously), but I don't think we're suddenly going to become George Soros in the summer transfer market. Let's face it, until at least late July, the 'Have We Signed Anyone?' thread will have more bumps than Mr. Bump at a Freddy Mercury birthday party.

Herman Toothrot

I dont know if you read or just decided to gloss over... I said there are 4 games THIS season, Brentford, City, Liverpool and Newcastle where those 5/6 players have played and there has been nothing. Your comment about Beckham and that is useless as it was a one off game.

With this team, its not one off, the same players last season were the same. Rashford scores all tyes of goals but thats when we are playing on the counter, when we want to dominate the ball, Bruno and Rashford look lost, they can't play that football at the moment.

I have seen numerous times when we are playing out the back, Ball goes to Bruno, Rashford and it comes back.

I dont know what Sancho being available would have done, since January he has been available and had been putting in 2/10 performances. Sancho has shown literally nothing in a United shirt to suggest he can give us anything at the moment.
So the Newcastle game was down to Bruno and Rashford? Not the gaping hole in our midfield? Talking pure shite mate. There are holes in the roof, fix them before smashing the rest in.

Oranges038

If you get rid of all of them, you'll need:

Top Tier:
Goalkeeper
Centre Back
Right Back
Central Midfielder
Striker

Second Tier/Potential Tier:
Centre Back
Right Back
Central Midfielder
Striker

I don't think that business can be done in one window with our budget/restraints. I actually have some faith in the people running the club post-Woodward (not Glazers, obviously), but I don't think we're suddenly going to become George Soros in the summer transfer market. Let's face it, until at least late July, the 'Have We Signed Anyone?' thread will have more bumps than Mr. Bump at a Freddy Mercury birthday party.
Players for those positions who could be starters are required even without any of those players even leaving.

fps

Priorities?
Sell McTominay and Van De Beek, get a serious, serious CM in, as good as Casemiro and Eriksen but younger with more legs for years to come.
Sell Maguire, get rid of Jones, buy a quick, tall, ball playing CB.
Sell Dalot, buy a serious RB.
Sell Martial, buy a CF.
I'd keep Sabitzer from what I've heard about how he's been doing, haven't watched him much, send other loanees back.
Sancho on his last chance, absolutely cut him loose Summer 2024 if he doesn't show proper form in the first 6 months next season.

romufc

So the Newcastle game was down to Bruno and Rashford? Not the gaping hole in our midfield? Talking pure shite mate. There are holes in the roof, fix them before smashing the rest in.
Looks like you have an issue reading. I said the 5/6 players have started every game we have been dominated. if you read I said 5, 5 is not Bruno and Rashford unless you count them as 5 players.

The gaping hole in midfield, where does Bruno play?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Jesus wept. How are these sorts of opinions still rearing their ugly head on the caf?

We have dominated many games this season and Rashford has been a huge part of it. The evidence has been there for all to see.

My guess is that you're too stubborn to admit you were wrong about Rashford so you're desperately trying to double down, or you haven't watched a lot of United games this season.

Irwin99

I think of the players who have been here for over two, three years (five or six in some cases) there probably needs to be some serious consideration on whether they're good enough for a modern title winning squad (although we as fans seem to say this EVERY damn season). I'm not including Shaw, Bruno or Rashford as they're clearly part of the future set up here and i'm not including players EtH bought this season. That leaves almost a team of:

De Gea,
Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, AWB
Mctominay, Fred, DvB,
Sancho, Martial, Elanga,

...and also Jones and that person i'm not sure we're allowed to mention :nervous:

Other than Fred I wouldn't be upset at losing any of those players and it wouldn't severely weaken us to lose any of them, although I have huge respect for what De Gea has done at this club. Squad still needs some serious work.

United Hobbit

David de Gea - I'm not as anti him as others here as he's bailed us out a lot, it depends on the ownership - he's not as big a priority to replace as some.

Victor Lindelöf - keep as back up, give 2 year contract but look to replace next summer

Phil Jones - must be got rid off even if the rest of his contract is paid off, it's embarrassing he's still here

Harry Maguire - sell, flog to the highest bidder. Just get rid. He's way too slow and clumsy and has become the face of our bad years. Would suit a club that likes to sit back.

Lisandro Martínez - definitely keep

Bruno Fernandes - keep. In time I'd prefer someone who doesn't give the ball away as much and would also consider his captaincy, but again not a priority to be replaced

Anthony Martial - if kept as back up, must be no higher than 3rd choice. Sick of him always being injured and unavailable. Would prefer a sale.

Marcus Rashford - keep

Edit: removed about a certain player so that I don’t have to delete your full post

Tyrell Malacia - Keep

Christian Eriksen - keep

Fred - keep

Casemiro - keep

Raphaël Varane - keep

Diogo Dalot - too hit and miss and expires next summer and not worth a new deal if we want to challenge for titles

Antony - keep

Tom Heaton- I don't really know enough about him to judge

Luke Shaw - keep

Jadon Sancho - keep but insert huge rocket up him, if he doesn't find his form next season time to give up on him

Facundo Pellistri - keep and try giving some more minutes

Aaron Wan-Bissaka - ETH seems to have revolutionised him. I'd like better, but again not as big a priority as others so depends on ownership

Brandon Williams - sell

Donny van de Beek - would have liked to see more of him under ETH to properly judge him but what I've seen so far is that he's too wet

Anthony Elanga - sell

Scott McTominay - sell

Teden Mengi - not seen enough of him to properly assess

Alejandro Garnacho - keep with new contract. Concerning he still hasn't signed one

Zidane Iqbal June 2025 - keep - I don't watch the youth, is he in need of a loan or ready to start being introduced?

Kobbie Mainoo - keep. Depending on what competitions we are in depends if loan or sell. If Europa would keep as rotation

Eric Bailly - sell

Amad Diallo - sounds like he's doing well on loan so could be an interesting rotation option

Dean Henderson - sell - seems a bad apple and I didn't like his comments he made the minute he'd gone on loan despite still being employed by us

Axel Tuanzebe - too injury prone. Release

Hannibal Mejbri - could be a good rotation option if he can cool his temperament a bit. Could see ETH liking him

Shola Shoretire - would he have made the step up by now? Is he on loan? If not the fact he's not getting a chance ahead of WW is concerning as to his long term ability given he's had a couple of senior games

Álvaro Fernández - not seen enough of him to decide

Alex Telles - get rid

Ethan Laird - didn't people used to rate him? Could he make the step up to back up? Seems injury prone?

CURRENT LOANEES

Marcel Sabitzer - hard one to decide. Would depend on transfer fee.

Wout Weghorst - absolutely must not be signed permenantly or be here in any form next season. Would return now if an option to stop ETH keep picking him

Jack Butland - don't sign

Priorities this summer must be one main striker, preferably a good back up/rotation too (the fact City's second striker is so good yet spends most of his time on the bench is infuriating). A younger Casemiro and Erikson - are our scouts able to find this?

Last edited by a moderator:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Players like Henderson, Telles, Williams, Jones etc. are obvious players to lose if you can. Greenwood is its own situation that hopefully ends with his departure one way or another.

Depending on our planed incomings any of De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, McTominay, Fred, VDB, Elanga and Martial could be lost from our current squad without me blinking.

USREDEVIL

Sell/Release
Maguire
Henderson
VDB
Telles
Weghorst
Sabitzer
McTwominay
B Williams
Elanga

Get at the very least:
Top Striker
CB
Defensive Mid

Also need to incorporate into the team Diallo and Iqbal.

Abraxas

The problem with this kind of business is traditionally we have found it very hard to move on the number of players fans seem to expect. We always get these fanciful extended lists, but it never comes to fruition. I don't think it's because the club actively enjoys hording players that don't contribute and cost the club money (although the staggering incompetence at times makes it seem so), it's just symptomatic of a poor transfer strategy over the years and the market position our players have.

I can't disagree that in an ideal world most of these players could and should move on. What stands out to me is Diallo and Hannibal. I don't think they're automatic keeps. Especially Hannibal, I don't think he's shown enough to think he'd get enough football here. I expect a midfielder to arrive too. I don't see where his football would be coming from. Diallo could be very good competition.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Bleeding Rashford yet again !!!

Without Rashford this season mate you'd be having sleepless nights and would feel like crap like everyone else would.

Can we stop this nonsense that Rashford isn't good enough now ffs. He's more than good enough.

mshnsh

From the first team: Martial, Wout, dalot, McTominay and Fred must go.

Subject to availability of upgrades: Bruno and eriksen can become second choice but allowed to fight for their places.

Replacing Da Gea, while important, should only be done if sufficient funds and a capable replacement is available. We shouldn't break the bank as of now because Da Gea isn't a bad option.

OrcaFat

1​
2​
4​
5​
6​
8​
9​
10​
11​
12​
14​
17​
MFFredJune 2024Keep
18​
MFCasemiroJune 2026Keep
19​
20​
21​
MFAntonyJune 2027Keep
22​
23​
DFLuke ShawJune 2027Keep
25​
28​
29​
33​
34​
36​
39​
43​
49​
55​
73​
Out on Loan
3​
16​
26​
38​
46​
47​
74​
In on Loan
15​
27​
31​

TLDR

Overall assessment

Players out on loan

Loanees
Just send them back.

Overall Squad

How would you assess it?
Great list and all pretty sensible. In terms of what might realistically happen, it will depend who we can bring in, I suppose.

If we start by getting what we need most - a striker, a no8 and a RB - then the first ones out of the door should be Wout, McT, Sabitzer (unless he really steps it up in the next month) and Dalot.

Probably we can let Bailly and Jones go but if any other CBs are leaving (say Maguire), we’ll need to bring someone better in which might be another window or two down the line.

We’ll need cover at no9 so I doubt Martial will leave unless we sign yet another (in addition to our priority striker) no9.

This is already looking like a fantasy transfer window.

Fundamentally I agree with a “clear the decks” policy but it never really happens.

glasgow 21

I think it's stupid we aren't allowed to discuss this.
Has Admin given the go ahead to talk about it? as the ones like me who would like a positive outcome has refrained whilst other looking rid seem to be dropping it into comments. What exactly is the stance.

glazed

Has Admin given the go ahead to talk about it? as the ones like me who would like a positive outcome has refrained whilst other looking rid seem to be dropping it into comments. What exactly is the stance.
AFAIK we aren't allowed to discuss it, though everyone else seems to. I don't know if we're allowed to discuss not being allowed to discuss it though.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Brackets refer to contract expiry dates...

GKs:
DDG (2023) - attempt to renew
Heaton (2023) - release
Henderson (2025) - sell
Butland (loanee) - return

Can't afford to buy 3 new GKs so renew DDG for bench role.

RBs:
Dalot (2024) - sell
AWB (2024) - attempt to sell
Laird (2023) - release

LBs:
Shaw - keep
Telles (2024) - attempt to sell
Malacia (2026) - keep
Williams (2024) - sell
Fernandez (2024) - keep

CBs:
Jones (2023) - release