Aston Villa 2019/20

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
What’s your honest opinion of Dean Smith @FootballHQ ?

From watching the games, I don’t think he is up to much. I see teams above Villa who have similar quality and feel he shouldn’t have been in this position in the first place (even with having to replace loan players and injuries). It was a significant spend.

The games I watched were often tumescent and Villa looked bereft of ideas at times.

As a fan and closer to the situation, do you think he can bring you on now with better players?

I think he has been very lucky to escape the drop.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Dean Smith really struggles with game management. Way we start games is generally fine. Think we've only conceded about 10 goals before the 40th minute this season so we have no problem in first halfs and being competitive.

Where it falls down is when the other team makes subs/changes shape around the hour mark and he's always very slow to counter or do anything and we just drop deeper and deeper until we concede. Chelsea at home is a good recent example although been countless others.

All our good played all goes through Grealish so that's another massive challenge if he goes. Our attempts to replace Benteke were a disaster five years ago.

He's certainly staying now so just hope he learns more about what the premier league requires. Paul Lambert didn't and is now a mid table league 1 manager.

Acole9

Outstanding
That would be very harsh on Smith, he deserves to continue.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Harsh but I think he needs to go. Glad they stayed up though

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Like I said above, I think they have been terrible given their spend. I have watched quite a few of their games and they looked awful almost every time. Very little in terms of movement or creativity. A few passes would be followed by Mings looking up and chipping aimlessly forward.

They were very lucky to stay up and shouldn’t have been in that position. I would understand completely if they moved on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bruno Lage being touted apparently.
Hope not, that's the ex Benfica guy isn't it? They were hopeless in the games after restart.

If we have to let DS go now I'd want to go big and get a Marcelinho or Leandro Jardim in. Guys who have won stuff recently and managed in champions league. If Wolves and Leeds can attract managers like Nuno and Bielsa when they're mid table teams in championship we need to think a bit bigger now.

Would've loved Ralph Hassenhuttl aswell but he signed new deal at Southampton recently.