Kick-off
Sat, 20 December 2014 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 59 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ash_86

poor subs and decision making by the manager cost us the match. World should end before Young plays his next game down the right flank.

shabin_d_great

ok..The only difference between this season and last season is the occasional brilliance from our wingers.. Last season our wing play was dire. If not MOyes would still be at Utd. I see no progress in players..

1) Evans... What the f**k.. Cost us a goal and almost gave away 3 more..
    2) Fletch... Sentiments wont win matches.. Should be his last start for utd.
    3) Mata... Was he playing?
    4) RVP... Great that LVG took him off. Poor,slow and messed up our best counter attack..
    5) DiMaria: Can be excused, But his decision making was poor.
    6) Valencia... No comments on defending.. But attacking... ? Poor.

Would like these two to happen some time in a match..

1) United to score from a through ball
    2) United player to make a near post run to meet a cross..

We blew our chance to pull away from Arsenal,Liverpool,Wham,Southampton,Spurs..

Lewis.no.9

see all the abuse aimed at my way and others who knew what would happen based on the lineup at the start of the game and was bold enough to say so. Yet what we were saying was all spot on. We could easily fall outside of the top 4 with mistakes like today.

LVGs stubborness ruined todays result. Was obvious seeing the lineup and formation that against the game raising Villa, at home and with our questionable away form, that we would drop points today.

We could easily drop points against Newcastle and Tottenham.
    Decisions today by management were really off. Subs and moving players into different positions were all totally incorrect.

Fletcher and Evans need to be sold in the summer. Neither are nowhere near good enough. Both were at total fault for Villas goal

sidenote, Really happy for Falcao and him and RVP link well. Tbh I think Mata needs to start losing out to Rooney in the CAM position tbh.

rpitchfo

Who cares about the bloody injury time? We had 90 minutes to sort Villa out - 25 of those they had 10 men. We could have played for another 15 minutes and not scored.

United98

Jones - McNair pairing should have started.
    No more Evans on the pitch.

hbgreg

We had such great momentum after Falcao's goal, should of scored there, then they had a man sent off, we had ages to score. We had a group of either Rooney/Falcao/RvP/Mata or Rooney/Falcao/Di Maria/Mata and we could only put in 1 goal and our best performer was Ashley Young. FFS.

moxdevil

Villa could not have believed their luck when they saw our multi million pound players time and again knock the ball out wide for the ball to be delivered and provide Guzan with catching practice.

For the last few seasons going forward we have been so predictable: cross after cross. I was hoping for some tactical evolution but we still play like a championship side with little guile, except now we have expensive players passing the ball out wide for a cross.

There'sOnlyOne

Pretty gutted by that, even though Villa could've easily won it. We looked worse when they lost a man. Sad to see Rooney have such a quiet game too. Wilson is getting lots of game time and has not impressed.

Mata anonymous too. Big issues in midfield still.

Red devil20

Get 5-7 points from the next 3 and its not to bad. We are never going to win the league.lets remember all our best defence were missing. Add a fit di maria blind. Herrera and fellaini. Im quiet certain we will finish 3rd or worst 4th.

Jay Pascal

Two things I can't get my head on. Why substitute RVP for RDM? That messed up our attack. Our attack became disorganised.

Secondly where did the 3 minutes come from? The injury to Young alone took almost 5 minutes if not more, the crowd kept the ball for several minutes when Rooney wanted to take a corner, plus the substitutions. Where do we get this Referees and linesman from?.

Well at least we got a point although we should have won this game. Let's move on, it's only December and we are still 3rd.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    After watching the game, these are players who should not be considered unless there is no other choice:
    1) Fletcher - not confident on the ball. poor with crosses and passes.
    2) Evans - Too slow with the ball, poor in the air.
    3) Wilson - Only have speed and nothing else.
    Cant argue with that to be fair.

do9

I don't share players by age, nationality, etc.. Either you are good or not.
    Fletch and evans are not good for us and wilson is not yet. He played 4-5 games and didn't do anything good. I think that he needs that goal, one goal and then it will be better.
    Di maria is down on form. It is clear as a day. Maybe because he is every game on other position. And of course injury.
    But , in this 352 with shaw and smalling in defence, fellaini rooney di maria in midfield with herrera and mata on the bench and rvp and falcao up front future is bright. Only our away form and displays.... It is awful

marlowe78

Considering it looked like Evans and Fletcher would single-handedly lose us the game, I guess I can console myself with a point. The first half was one of our worst this season and the sooner those two guys are off the roster, the better.

The substitutions LVG made really cost us today. I think Wilson has a lot of potential down the road but to bring him into a key situation like this after he's done nothing in his previous matches was poor thinking. LVG clearly wanted to rest van Persie for the Boxing Day match but he almost certainly would've been a presence after the red card. Falcao was also much less noticeable after the change, as van Persie wasn't there to distract the Villa defenders from him.

I also don't understand why Di Maria and Young switched wings when both players were getting into deep areas where they initially played. Young already assisted on Falcao's goal from the left and Di Maria, while being selfish, was able to cut to the top of the penalty area from the right and could've slipped it into Falcao if he'd stayed there. Di Maria was pretty anonymous after switching.

And can we please stop this nonsense with 3 in the back? Paul fecking Lambert just showed the PL that a three-man backline can be negated with a similar formation and make you dangerous. We are obviously more solid with a backline of 4 and it cuts down on the space accessible to the attackers. Every time we've used 3-5-2, we've looked like shit.

We had 6 on the bounce, so it's not the end of the world, but we were only convincing in maybe one or two of those games. The others were nervy and some came down (like Liverpool) to the opposition not finishing. We've shown moments of superb play, but that's the key word - moments, not for an entire half or game. I have faith that LVG will improve us but he looks so thick as shit at times.

Papii Grande

Such a naive frustrating performance. This is a game we won under SAF regularly at Villa park...we made them look like Real Madrid on the counter attack.

LVG may have learnt lessons about not underestimating the smaller sides, but obviously it hasn't been drummed in hard enough !

We have Wilson in the box, Falcao too, Di Maria, Rooney and Mata on the edge of the box and all we did for 90 minutes was supply Young and Valencia...as if we had Fellaini,Crouch and Heskey up front. Flipping bullocks that was, LVG and Giggs looked like DUMB AND DUMBER, how can you not instruct the players to pass rather than Hoof??!! :mad: Abysmal approach to a game we should have won.

We brought on Di Maria, looking at us you'd think we just brought on Fellaini.
    We definitely won't push for 2nd now, City are out of sight and Chelsea have landed on a new planet.

I'm just Pee'd off, we saw less than 3 passes down the middle of the field all match, with the players we have, I thought the days of prehistoric Moyes-Hoof-Cross-Ball were put to bed. but as Einstein said, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Mr.Kaya

Really dissapointing, and not good enough at all. Maybe easy to say now, but Van Gaal did a big mistake with starting with that 3 back and Fletcher on the midfield...Okey, so Di Maria wasn't ready to play fully 90 minutes yet, we should've started with Blackett/McNair instead of Carrick as a CB cause we really needed him in the midfield, specially when Fellaini, Herrera and Blind is out...

mufcwarm92

Another sub standard away performance. No wins from Burnley, Sunderland, Leicester, West Brom and Villa away is beyond poor.

The Kag

I don't really understand his choice in leaving Mata on if he was going to bring on Wilson. I would have stuck Di Maria behind Falcao and Wilson and leave Young (especially since he was having a lot of joy down that left side) and Valencia where they were. Odd.

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney: "We got the early goal in the second half we wanted but maybe that final pass or cross we didn't get right when they went to 10 men. It's certainly two points dropped.

"We were trying to do the right things but they put bodies behind the ball and it can sometimes be more difficult to break them down.

"I think it's more you guys talking about titles. We know what our aims are and we are focused on our goals."

Water Melon

Fletch is done at the top level. Hopefully, Blind and Herrera are back in action soon. Wayne Rooney is not a central midfielder; Di Maria is not a second striker and is most effective when played as a midfielder. No penetration through the middle combined with appalling crosses made us toothless. No fast movement in the final third with Mata trying to chase the ball instead of creating something special limited our chances. We have had enough luck in our last 3-4 games, and today we got we deserved. I think LvG got this one wrong.

finneh

Weird team selection, weird formation and weird substitutions. However we would still have won if not for Evans.

Kopral Jono

Thought our substitutions killed us. Di Maria clearly isn't match fit and Wilson is yong and lernin. Villa packed the midfield after Agbonlahor's sending off and we sort of lost control of it because of it.

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal: "Very frustrating. I think we gave two points away. We did not start well enough and because of that they could score a goal. We kept the ball well in the first half but we did nothing with the ball. In the second half was better but not as effective as usual. But that is football, sometimes you cannot force that.

"I cannot judge the sending off, I haven't seen it. I saw the tackle and I think it was a normal tackle and suddenly it was a red card.

"I'm disappointed because also in the first half we were the better team and when that's the case you have to win. But we know that in our first seven games we were also the better team but we did not win many times."

JP77

Bit disappointing not to get the three points because these are the type of games we've been winning recently. We weren't great but should have still managed to get the three points here. Young was playing well out on the left, the decision to move him out to the right ended up being a poor one.

Really hope we've got midfield options available on Boxing Day. Rooney was restricted again today. If we can get Herrera and Fellaini back for Boxing Day then hopefully Rooney will be given more freedom to roam again rather than having to play a disciplined role in the center of the midfield.

jld93

Two things I can't get my head on. Why substitute RVP for RDM? That messed up our attack. Our attack became disorganised.

Secondly where did the 3 minutes come from? The injury to Young alone took almost 5 minutes if not more, the crowd kept the ball for several minutes when Rooney wanted to take a corner, plus the substitutions. Where do we get this Referees and linesman from?.

Well at least we got a point although we should have won this game. Let's move on, it's only December and we are still 3rd.
    Come on mate, I know the injury time should have been a bit longer but by your estimations that's about 10 minutes of injury time..

Mr.Kaya

Anyone know if Andreas Pereira was injured/sick or simple got left out from the squad? I mean, if he doesn't even get the chance when both Fellaini, Herrera and Blind is out, when will he?! Doubt he'd do much worse than Fletcher as a CM, and he's one of our hopes for near future afterall...

Rojo Por Favor

The majority of you are completely overreacting; in terms of composure and domination, that was amongst our best away performances this season. Starting Fletcher was a mistake, granted, but would you not be tempted to play Carrick CB again subsequent to last week? If you do, then you don't have many other options, and not many would've predicted Fletcher being as bad as he was. The question I think we should be asking why did we stick with two strikers after we found out Villa would be playing three at the back? It makes far more tactical sense to play one. Maybe you can blame Van Gaal for this. On a positive note though, apart from the dying moments when we were over-committing, we never looked like losing. I hope and think that'll prove to be a massive psychological boost for our future away performances.

ruairifionnan

Substitutions killed all our momentum and we could even have lost that game . Fletcher is finished at this level .

Evans was poor again .

Gatti33

Think LVG has had a bad day at the office. Should never have started with Fletch, as much as it pains me think he's done just nowhere near the player he was before his illness. Taking RVP off and then minutes later was baffling! Should have taken Mata off instead of RVP, we kept trying to cross the ball with only Falcao in the box. It feels like a defeat, should have easily won that game!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Injured or ill, one of the two. Apparently Van Gaal said injured after the game though Steve Bates said he felt unwell before it.
    If it is an injury, then I am seriously worried about the intensity of training they are doing. I hope he is just ill. That side today needed Herrera in it.

Dimistar

We had such great momentum after Falcao's goal, should of scored there, then they had a man sent off, we had ages to score. We had a group of either Rooney/Falcao/RvP/Mata or Rooney/Falcao/Di Maria/Mata and we could only put in 1 goal and our best performer was Ashley Young. FFS.
    After Falcao's goal, it looked as if we were about to put huge pressure on them and take the lead but we actually faded away once Agbonlahor got sent off. Maybe we thought a goal would eventually come but throwing attacking players does not equal more goal opportunities. Really disappointing not to get the three points.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    It did seem that once Villa went down to 10 men, we lost our impetus.
    Strange.
    Up until the sending off, Villa could barely get the ball and we were camped in their half.
    In hindsight, maybe we'd be better off if they kept 11 men.

BaguetteBoy

A bit disappointed with the result but would have taken that a few months ago top 3 by Christmas. That being said I don't think fletch should be starting anymore. Bring him on to close game off, I don't think he wondered more than 10 yard from the byline today. He rarely look forward.
    Falcao scoring was refreshing need to let him get a good run starting now. 19 points from 21 still the best in the league over the past 7 games

luke511

I missed the game due to being at work, can anyone summarise the game up for me in bullet points? (like who played well/bad etc).. Thanks

AndyMUFC

Should've won that, especially against ten men. We absolutely dominated possession for much of the game but had no killer instinct. Created virtually nothing first half and the same after the sending off too.

We're probably not good enough to win the league this season but will be very disappointed if we don't get 3rd.

wiz4231

Its funny what a central midfielder can actually bring to the team on the pitch. When Fletcher went off (hope I never see him play for utd again - making him vice captain = big mistake) we were a different team. This is the way it should be, Carrick playing as a deep lying midfielder but with a back four rather than 5.
    Evans, Fletcher and Anderson should be sold in Jan and that's no joking matter, for all Fletchers experience and talk, he's more bad for the team than good. A captain should influence the game on the pitch and he just does not what so ever. LVG should just come to his senses.
    4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2 should be the way we set up from now. No more of the 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 BS. I can't blame LVG too much now because he is restricted in the formations he can play but he has to invest in the transfer window, we need a CB, CM and a Winger at the very least and we need our first team defence back, Rafael, Smalling, Rojo and Shaw.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 425 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw