Astronomy & Space Exploration

neverdie

I mean obviously the image has been edited to be in RGB for the human eye as the original frames were collected in infrared. That doesn't take anything away from the achievement.
this is the part that makes it weird. it's essentially a touched up photo which interprets non imageal data in image terms. not real essentially. looks impressive though.

the sources of emission are real. the rest is all photoshopped. the infrared itself is impressive though.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
this is the part that makes it weird. it's essentially a touched up photo which interprets non imageal data in image terms. not real essentially. looks impressive though.
It's representing stuff that is there, though. We just can't see it, because our eyes evolved to see a very specific range of light that makes the most sense on a planet orbiting our particular star. IMO that counts as real. But yeah, any picture that just shows what we could physically see wouldn't be very impressive.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But yeah, any picture that just shows what we could physically see wouldn't be very impressive.
I wouldn't say so. A lot of Hubble's pictures look impressive, as well as many pictures taken by the huge telescopes on earth. All those largely work in the visual range.

neverdie

It's representing stuff that is there, though. We just can't see it, because our eyes evolved to see a very specific range of light that makes the most sense on a planet orbiting our particular star. IMO that counts as real. But yeah, any picture that just shows what we could physically see wouldn't be very impressive.
yeah it's still real in that sense. just the colours and extreme touch ups aren't real.

it's still impressive if you're looking only at the raw sources. i get why they do it though.

Denis79

Full rez pic
Webb’s image covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground – and reveals thousands of galaxies in a tiny sliver of vast universe.

So cool!

predator

Youth NITK
Been waiting for this for months. It's give me goosebumps.

The universe is absolutely terrifying yet beautiful at the same time. The sheer thought of us being alone is terrifying and the spectacle we are surrounded by is beyond beautiful.

I personally find it hard to believe we can possibly be alone give the size of what surrounds us.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Been waiting for this for months. It's give me goosebumps.

The universe is absolutely terrifying yet beautiful at the same time. The sheer thought of us being alone is terrifying and the spectacle we are surrounded by is beyond beautiful.

I personally find it hard to believe we can possibly be alone give the size of what surrounds us.
And rather ironically it’s the sheer size and vastness that means we’ll probably never know if we are or not.

predator

Youth NITK
And rather ironically it’s the sheer size and vastness that means we’ll probably never know if we are or not.
Yep. Also we'd never know if ET civilisations have been and gone in the last billions of years. It's scary.

Due to the apparent size of the observable Universe alone...

I think it is certain there is complex , intelligent life out there. I bet there are, in some far away galaxy, two planets nearby to one another like us and Mars, that have similar paced biological evolution and are at the stages of talking to one another, even as we speak. They probably think the two of them are the only intelligent life planets in the universe.

The sheer numbers, even taking the drake equation into account, are so so massive.

Green_Red

A year is the orbital period for a planetary body - in our case how long it takes the Earth to go round the Sun.

A light year is the distance light travels in one earth year - 9.46 trillion kilometres.
13.5 billion × 9.46 trillion km = distance some of the galaxies in that image are. Mind blowing!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I was always told that the stars we see probably disappeared years ago, but we only see them now because of how far away they are and how long it takes light to travel. What's the truth in that?

And heading from that, what effect does looking through a super powerful telescope have on that? For example, they are a star in the sky and decide to lock in with their telescope to take a look. Is it still there when they look? Or are these telescopes not powerful enough in the grand scheme to make any difference to the aspect of time?

EDIT: I've gone back a page and seen this is actually already being discussed and that it is a big factor :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If the James Webb telescope can look back to 13.5 billion years ago, what are the chances that one day soon we could build a telescope to look back to the big bang?
Unless humanity finds a way to dismantle and reconfigure the stringent principles of physics (as we interpret them), there are things that we just won't be able to do — no matter how long the time horizon from now, or the level of technological advancement. Looking at the Big Bang itself would be one of those things, because there's literally nothing to look at — at a certain point in the universe's history, you are confronted with an inaccessible curtain (and there's no way to peer through under the standard cosmological model). One day, we might be able to observe and map out the cosmic neutrino background (1 to 2 seconds after the Big Bang) or some of the earliest gravitational waves with impossibly massive and impossibly sensitive interferometers (and try to simulate a physical representation), but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Big Bang Time Line
Development of a Relic Neutrino Detection Experiment at PTOLEMY

nimic

something nice
Scout
I was always told that the stars we see probably disappeared years ago, but we only see them now because of how far away they are and how long it takes light to travel. What's the truth in that?

And heading from that, what effect does looking through a super powerful telescope have on that? For example, they are a star in the sky and decide to lock in with their telescope to take a look. Is it still there when they look? Or are these telescopes not powerful enough in the grand scheme to make any difference to the aspect of time?

EDIT: I've gone back a page and seen this is actually already being discussed and that it is a big factor :lol:
All the stars we see with our own eyes in the sky are in the Milky Way, and so they're all still there. Many of the galaxies in the JWST pictures are really far away, and thus really old, so individual stars in them probably aren't there, depending on the type, but the galaxies are still around. The one clear exception is when we see supernovae. In that case the stars are most definitively not there anymore.

As to your telescope question, it doesn't really work like that. If you can see a galaxy then you can see it, it's just a matter of having a good enough telescope to pick up the light emitted from the galaxy. It's not like pointing a stronger telescope at something means you see it further back in time, you're still picking up the same light. But that stronger telescope (like JWST) might pick up light that is from further away (and again, thus older).

nimic

something nice
Scout
13.5 billion × 9.46 trillion km = distance some of the galaxies in that image are. Mind blowing!
Much more, actually! They may have been that far away when the light was emitted, but in the meantime there's been 13.5 billion years of expansion of space. I don't know the exact number (NASA definitely does, and astronomers and other people who are smarter than me can work it out), but it wouldn't surprise me if it's more like 35-40 billion light years now. The Observable Universe itself is something like 90 billion light years in diameter.

Green_Red

Much more, actually! They may have been that far away when the light was emitted, but in the meantime there's been 13.5 billion years of expansion of space. I don't know the exact number (NASA definitely does, and astronomers and other people who are smarter than me can work it out), but it wouldn't surprise me if it's more like 35-40 billion light years now. The Observable Universe itself is something like 90 billion light years in diameter.
So the universe is guessed 13.9 billion years old and in that time the big bang has managed to push enough material out into space for the universe to be 90 billion light years across, with an infinite amount of galaxies and stars, all the while black holes devouring up as much of it as they can. My tiny mind is incapable of understanding that. How can the big bang have done that. It must have been one hell of a bang to just explode all that out of nothingness.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The universe expands faster the further we observe and that acceleration is 70km/mpc. And I think a mega parsec is 3.2ly. So yea do lots of maths with that..

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So the universe is guessed 13.9 billion years old and in that time the big bang has managed to push enough material out into space for the universe to be 90 billion light years across, with an infinite amount of galaxies and stars, all the while black holes devouring up as much of it as they can. My tiny mind is incapable of understanding that. How can the big bang have done that. It must have been one hell of a bang to just explode all that out of nothingness.
Now take the mindfeck to another level by trying to visualize all of that knowing the universe doesn’t really have a central point in space from which the Big Bang emanated even though we know it is expanding (*insert ‘mind blown’ gif).

atkar83

Unless humanity finds a way to dismantle and reconfigure the stringent principles of physics (as we interpret them), there are things that we just won't be able to do — no matter how long the time horizon from now, or the level of technological advancement. Looking at the Big Bang itself would be one of those things, because there's literally nothing to look at — at a certain point in the universe's history, you are confronted with an inaccessible curtain (and there's no way to peer through under the standard cosmological model). One day, we might be able to observe and map out the cosmic neutrino background (1 to 2 seconds after the Big Bang) or some of the earliest gravitational waves with impossibly massive and impossibly sensitive interferometers (and try to simulate a physical representation), but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Big Bang Time Line
Development of a Relic Neutrino Detection Experiment at PTOLEMY
Not with that attitude its not

Big Andy

Bloke
Now take the mindfeck to another level by trying to visualize all of that knowing the universe doesn’t really have a central point in space from which the Big Bang emanated even though we know it is expanding (*insert ‘mind blown’ gif).
It's more mind blowing that space is expanding, but what is it expanding into? There must be space for it to expand into.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's more mind blowing that space is expanding, but what is it expanding into? There must be space for it to expand into.
If you believe that ours is a Universe, then there is nothing to expand into.
There is no edge of our Universe because that is all that there is.
No other space and no other time.

However, I tend to believe that ours is not a Universe, but one of an infinite number of universes each with differing structures and laws and dimensions.
But whether it is or not, we will never find out.... for obvious reasons.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The theory is that it was Cosmic Inflation which resulted in the size of the Know Universe being significantly larger than 13.8bn LY across.
And Cosmic Inflation, during that minute minute minute fraction of a second second happened at orders of magnitude faster than the speed of light, then slowed converting the pure energy state of the early Universe into Matter.

This is a pretty strong theory, but is nonetheless still a theory.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yep. Also we'd never know if ET civilisations have been and gone in the last billions of years. It's scary.

I think it is certain there is complex , intelligent life out there. I bet there are, in some far away galaxy, two planets nearby to one another like us and Mars, that have similar paced biological evolution and are at the stages of talking to one another, even as we speak. They probably think the two of them are the only intelligent life planets in the universe.

The sheer numbers, even taking the drake equation into account, are so so massive.
Yes.
We should forget about considering alien lifeforms outside our galaxy for that very reason.
Our galaxy is over 100,000 LY across. So that is plenty big enough with estimated 200bn stars to think about.

Flying high

However, I tend to believe that ours is not a Universe, but one of an infinite number of universes each with differing structures and laws and dimensions.
By my calculations, our 'universe' is due to hit the sides of it's test tube soon.

If we're lucky, we'll get a brief glimpse of the creator's laboratory before we finally experience the end of the big bang when the shock waves destroy all known matter.

Moby

Dick
By my calculations, our 'universe' is due to hit the sides of it's test tube soon.

If we're lucky, we'll get a brief glimpse of the creator's laboratory before we finally experience the end of the big bang when the shock waves destroy all known matter.
Username checks out.

I want to see a nice JWST pic of Andromeda and the Sombrero Galaxy.
It will come, and it will be impressive.

One of the jobs for it is to look at the same patch of sky as the Hubble UDF. That first JWST image took 12 hours. Imagine what it will do when given the weeks it took Hubble to get a far dimmer image.

Important to remember these are all computer modified images. JWST is infrared only unlike Hubble.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I always get reminded of Carl Sagans pale blue dot when looking at images of the vastness of space. So beautiful but also does reduce ones sense of worth :D

Really sad that we live in between the generations where we are aware of the wonders of space and can see them in detail, but don't have the technology to explore them yet. Wonder if one would rather live in ignorance of these wonders so you don't feel a sense of wanting to explore them, but know you can't.

Dr. StrangeHate

More likely in the stages of going to war with each other.

Dr. StrangeHate

What happens if we expand into a Universe which has only Strange matter?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I always get reminded of Carl Sagans pale blue dot when looking at images of the vastness of space. So beautiful but also does reduce ones sense of worth :D

Really sad that we live in between the generations where we are aware of the wonders of space and can see them in detail, but don't have the technology to explore them yet. Wonder if one would rather live in ignorance of these wonders so you don't feel a sense of wanting to explore them, but know you can't.
I guess it is a bit like our ancestors 500 years ago who did not have a full comprehension of Planet Earth.

It would certainly be better if we could travel to other exoplanets but it is unlikely it would greatly change our lives at all.

It is all good and well knowing what New Zealand looks like and potentially being able to travel there, but it changes little to how we live.