Atletico Madrid 2020/2021 - General Discussion

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Completed half the season with 50 points and +30 GD from 19 games, having only conceded 10. On course to put up a similar points tally to City/Liverpool in the last couple of years with a 100 points and a monster GD.

Surely they cannot lose their spot in the table now...

NYAS

Yeah they’ve been ridiculous this season. 50 points from 57 is Career Mode stuff.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Heard Joao Felix has been brilliant for them. Only 21 as well. We don't have any Atletico fans on this forum do we? Maybe we should hold an open day.
Who has been their best players? Are they still a hard to beat Simeone type team or have they evolved?
Suarez has been on fire, their fans on r/Soccer seem in disbelief they got him for free. I've not watched them much so this is second hand information.

Lee565

Wouldn't mind seeing Atletico draw man city in the next round of the champions league as I think they would be the best side equipped to stop this current city side but city will probably get another easy draw and Atletico are facing a Chelsea side that currently have that new manager bounce

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I watched almost every Atletico game in 2013/14. Loved Koke back then. However their games became really boring in recent seasons, I have barely watched them this or last season.
Wouldn’t mind them doing a league and CL double!

AltiUn

I watched almost every Atletico game in 2013/14. Loved Koke back then. However their games became really boring in recent seasons, I have barely watched them this or last season.
Wouldn’t mind them doing a league and CL double!
Yeah, if we can't win it then let Atletico win it. They provided some sublime entertainment when they knocked Liverpool out at Anfield last season, they deserve it solely for that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Suarez is in his total massive veteran, point-to-prove bag, and earlier in the season Joao Felix was having a real coming of age season before injuries/COVID started messing with things. Pair that with Oblak basically being a mutant who saves everything that does come at him and Simeone’s general ability to set his team up to not concede and you have the season they’re having.

Wonder if they can replicate this in the CL. I do think they’re one of the sides who benefit the least from one leg ties (assuming that’s still the format as we progress) — so it’ll be interesting in that regard.

Robbie Boy

Thought they were coming near the end of their cycle but they've been excellent this season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of my favourite Spanish teams but I just can’t back them to win the league. It’s in their DNA to feck up in heartbreaking manners and Barcelona seem resurgent of late

el3mel

They won't have a better chance to win the league with awful Real and Barca been this season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Still a long way to go. A loss or two to Cadiz and Eibar and the snarling teeth of Barcelona will be all over them like white on rice.
Barcelona are 7 points behind with 2 games more played. I don't think they are a threat at all.

izec

They will win the league if Suarez stays fit. Looks like it. He is a winner and scoring crucial goals. Barca are not stable enough themselves to catch them, they will drop points. Barca wont keep up and win every tight game as the season progresses.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
One of my favourite Spanish teams but I just can’t back them to win the league. It’s in their DNA to feck up in heartbreaking manners and Barcelona seem resurgent of late
When have they fecked up league in heartbreaking manner? The only time they were properly in the title race (2013-14) they won it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fecking machine this team. They'd probably the most hated team in the country if they played in this league, but since we're quite far removed we can enjoy the utter shithousery combined with quality footballers. Wait, who are they playing next in Europe? *sigh*

AltiUn

Fecking machine this team. They'd probably the most hated team in the country if they played in this league, but since we're quite far removed we can enjoy the utter shithousery combined with quality footballers. Wait, who are they playing next in Europe? *sigh*
To be fair I don't think they're even the most hated team in their country, I've not seen a single positive comment, by any fanbase, about Getafe.

Mindhunter

The good thing about them is that they stayed there and thereabouts when Barca and Real were dominating the league. This season both of them have underperformed considerably and they immediately pressed their advantage and ran away with it.

Given the current financial situation at Real and Barca, I think we are starting too see an era of more competition in the La Liga. Next season, it will be closely fought between Real and Athletico.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair I don't think they're even the most hated team in their country, I've not seen a single positive comment, by any fanbase, about Getafe.
What on earth do people have to hate about fecking Getafe?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When have they fecked up league in heartbreaking manner? The only time they were properly in the title race (2013-14) they won it.
True but they almost bottled that one too. They could have wrapped it up at home before the Barcelona game but failed to win.

It’s more their European history that his heartbreaking failures but I just can’t back them until it’s mathematically impossible. Might be due to me really wanting them to win the league. I’ve become quite invested in them over the years

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I haven't seen a lot of them this season, but I think bringing back Carrasco has helped too somewhat. Has given them a bit of cutting edge and flair from the wider areas.

AltiUn

What on earth do people have to hate about fecking Getafe?
They're Burnley with better acting and better players, they seem to rile up anyone they play against to no end.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They're Burnley with better acting and better players, they seem to rile up anyone they play against to no end.
Sounds like the kind of club I can root for in that league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What they're doing in *this* season in particular is stunning. And yeah, they're not losing the league at this point

Will be interesting to see what they can do in europe. Struggled massively to get out of their group

Inter Yer Nan

Who has been their best players? Are they still a hard to beat Simeone type team or have they evolved?
Suarez has been on fire, and Llorente has been excellent. They are a great squad and every player understands the system perfectly. I think they are more fun to watch than in recent years too because they've got pace in wide areas with Llorente, Carrasco, and also Lemar has been on excellent form. Defensively they are rock solid with Hermo, Gimenez, and Savic backed by the best goalie in the world.

Sky's the limit for them IMO.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Felix is a potential big miss first leg against Chelsea. He either tested positive or was contact traced to someone who tested positive so he's supposedly in quarantine.

bakalhau

I secretly wanted so hard for Suárez to sign for Juventus. I was so pissed when it didn't go through.

He's so good. I think he perfectly fits with Simeone. They both have common personality traits and I just had the feeling he was gonna kill it for Atlético.

DWelbz19

89th min equaliser from Celta Vigo as their game finishes 2-2. Bit of a jinx? :nervous:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, thread jinxed them. Maybe I should start a "Liverpool shoe-in for top 4" thread.

DWelbz19

Selling? He went for free and I believe Barca actually paid him to leave :lol:
The craziest part is Suarez didn’t even want to go! Such a bizarre deal in the end.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
The craziest part is Suarez didn’t even want to go! Such a bizarre deal in the end.
At this point it shouldn’t surprise anyone tbh Rosell/Barto has pretty much end this club it’s going to take sometime for them to recover.

i just read online that Barcelona might not play Coutinho for the rest of the season so they won’t have to pay Liverpool another 5m which they have to pay if he plays another 7 games as per his clause when they bought him from Pool :lol: