Atletico Madrid's strikers since the 2000's

Luke1995

Although Atletico Madrid has long been a team known for it's fantastic defensive work (since Simeone at least), they have had quite a few great strikers over the last 15 years too, let's remember them ?

They had Torres bursting into the scene there, he was their main attacker for a few years. Then when he left they already had Aguero and signed Forlan, they obviously making a great partnership.

Both of them left in summer of 2011 so Atletico brought in Falcao who gave them his best years, and later on when he moved to Monaco in 2013, Diego Costa ''exploded'' onto the scene. As soon as he left, they got Griezmann.

So, that's six incredible strikers, and my question for you guys is, who had the better Atletico career/made the biggest impact ?

IMO Falcao was the best of the bunch while at Atletico although the others probably had better careers.

On a side note, they had a fantastic transfer policy didn't they ? Always replacing whoever was sold with bargains and then selling for huge money.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Bit beside the point as this is an appreciation thread for players since the 2000s, but Atlético has featured a lot of really good strikers pretty much since the '80s — despite often having a revolving-door at the position...
More Pichichi titles than Barcelona from 1985 to 2000, even though the latter had the likes of Romário, Ronaldo, Stoichkov, Rivaldo, Linekar, Kluivert in that period.

P.S. Sorry about the off-topic post! ఠ_ఠ

Luke1995

David Villa?

Joao Felix is also a sensible good transfer move. We'll see in the future his progress.
Totally forgot about Villa, I remember him more for his time at Valencia and later on at Barça, how good was he at Atletico ?

Luke1995

@Invictus I thought about Jimmy Floyd, but not sure about how their transfer policy was in the 1990's, because he made a good impact there but was sold just one season later.

It seemed to me that in the 2000's they developed a clear strategy in the market.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@Invictus I thought about Jimmy Floyd, but not sure about how their transfer policy was in the 1990's, because he made a good impact there but was sold just one season later.

It seemed to me that in the 2000's they developed a clear strategy in the market.
Atlético were relegated to Segunda, despite his goals and the good squad and he left

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I had completely forgotten that Vieri played there as well, averaging nearly a goal per game to boot.

Hasselbaink was either won or was in contention to win the Premier or La Liga golden boot for 5 consecutive seasons with 3 different clubs from 1998-2002, which was impressive. In during his season at Atleti I think he scored against all of the big clubs, even if they were in defeats. They won at the Bernabeu that season, but wouldn't beat Real Madrid again for nearly for 14 years after that.

Robertd0803

More to the point who is in charge of their strikers coaching and recruitment.