Television Atypical (Netflix series)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I've been planning on watching it as the missus works with kids with mental and physical disabilities. So she would like it, I'm sure. She's not as big into watching movies and tv as I am, so anything she'd enjoy would be a welcome addition. We're currently watching, and both enjoy, The Good Doctor.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My wife loves it - I've caught about 10 minutes of it and thought it seemed alright... but didn't entice me to go out of my way to watch it.

diarm

It really is brilliant. It deals with some complex issues (not only autism) with a really deft and clever touch and every character adds their own piece to the show.

It's one of the few programs I properly miss when a season ends and we have to wait for the next.

The Firestarter

Btw
Is it me or it is hinted repeatedly that Elsa may be on the spectrum as well?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I enjoyed it at first but then it became tiresome — the characters around him, especially his love interest, are so cartoonish. A refreshing theme though with a very good representation of Sam.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's a fantastic, the character development has been great to see too

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Really like this show as well. @harms, agreed that the girl friend character is just a cartoon character. Elsa's arc since S1 has also been all over the place. I did enjoy Sam and Zahid's friendship being the central focus of S3.

AkaAkuma

There parents are frustrating, but I think it adds to the show. Their actions are believeable.

Ekeke

So my nephew is diagnosed with aspergers and I am awaiting an adult assessment. I would say I probably have it, but who knows. I'm not a doctor.

The first time I heard about this show was actually on a reddit dedicated to aspergers and autism a few years ago.

And the posts were negative about the show saying that the show makes fun of a character with autism and that hes unrealistic. So I never bothered to look at this show...

But I did watch The Good Doctor for a couple of seasons and enjoyed that.

Then I saw this thread and decided to give the show a look for myself.

I like it, I think 6 episodes or so in. I havent really seen anything that makes fun of the main character more than the rest of the characters or makes him look bad or whatever. And I'd say that while people with aspergers can be very different from one another and neither my nephew nor myself are exactly like the main character, I didnt find him to be unrealistic in terms of my expectations of people who have aspergers. So basically I dont know what those posters were upset about and I enjoy the show.

Maybe it comes across differently later on, I reserve the right to change my mind of course. But so far I think its an enjoyable show that isnt wildly unrealistic

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Whoever writes stuff like this? :lol:
The show always, always feels with its main cast. Yes, he is being made fun of several times by others in the show, but that doesn't mean the show itself makes fun of him; such a statement couldn't be farther from the truth.

Ekeke

Whoever writes stuff like this? :lol:
The show always, always feels with its main cast. Yes, he is being made fun of several times by others in the show, but that doesn't mean the show itself makes fun of him; such a statement couldn't be farther from the truth.
Actually I got it wrong with my recollection and went back to look for what I'd read before. I dont know why I misremembered that being the issue some people had with the show, but its my bad. Possibly confusing it with another show.

I'll correct it :

I'm reading that he feels more like a checklist of autistic traits than a real character, or that he's a stereotyped aspie but exaggerated for the show.

So yeah nothing like what I said before, apologize for that.

Again, watching it I dont really see anything to take issue with but people have different opinions

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
In this case I don't have an informed opinion. I simply do not personally know anyone on the autism spectrum. Nevertheless, the most cartoonish character in the show certainly has to be Paige, and Zahid follows close behind. ^^

GBBQ

Started watching this before Christmas and currently on season 3. Been so many shows that either me or my wife have gotten bored of half way through so this is the first time in a while we've both been on the same level. Its easy watching, likable characters and at 30 mins an episode it zips along nicely.

I can't speak for the accuracy of the characterisation of Sam but from my perspective he's generally shown to be the moral hero of the show and always portrayed sympathetically during the negative stuff that happens.