Auction Draft Chaos 2021 R1 - EAP vs Skizzo

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
EAP

VS

Skizzo

EAP Tactics

Formation:

5-4-1 / Hybrid Carre Magique

Tactics:

"Saint Iker" Casillas, one of the greatest GKs of all time mans the goal. Consistent and able to produce spectacular saves, he'd be the final guardian.

Ronald Koeman leads the defence. A top notch libero and master of orchestrating the game from the deep, he'll provide the added security and creativity from the deep. He's supported by Karlheinz Forster and Berti Vogts, both world class man markers and defensive mainstays. Hans-Peter Briegel and Gianluca Zambrotta are dynamic all action one man flank type wingbacks. Their tenacity and ability to motor up and down the pitch, and deliver key crosses consistently will be a source of width and header goals for Batigol.

Luis Fernandez, Jean Tigana and Alain Giresse reprise roles very similar to their stint with France surrounding Euro 1984 (where both Giresse and Tigana ended up as runners to Balon d'Or in 1982 and 1984 respectively) providing a midfield engine of proven combination of grit, flair and creativity. Ruud Gullit spear heads the midfield. He was a Total Football player, versatile in many positions, with capable of aiding his team defensively as well as offensively due to his work-rate, ball-winning abilities, and tactical intelligence in addition to his skill and physical qualities .

Gabriel "Batigol" Batistuta, a complete and prolific forward with an eye for the goal having powerful, clinical finishing ability both in ground and in the air leads the line. Having likes of Giresse and Gullit behind him plus regular supply of crosses from Briegel and Zambrotta, it's inevitable for him to be on the scoresheet.

Skizzo Tactics

Tactics - 4-3-2-1/4-3-3

Solid back four built with a midfield two to look to condense space for Edgar's front three to operate in.

Going forward, Nordahl will look to operate inside the box, giving a focal point to stretch the pitch deep. Litmanen will play a wide forward role, looking to run beyond, operating almost in a free role with his movement to unsettle the defense and pull them apart. Deco being the one to unlock the defense

Ronaldinho given more of a free role on the inside left. (and any excuse to watch him)

Litmanen's role will probably be the one questioned here, so to touch on that briefly, he'll be looking to play his supporting striker role and run in beyond and play off Nordahl, but rather than focus centrally I wanted his movement and off the ball work to be operating more in a wide right area to start and drift in when applicable. I didn't want to have two wingers who were going to dribble here because with a packed defense, I prefer having someone to unlock with their passing (Deco), someone to stretch the play and be a focal point inside the area (Nordahl), someone to make runs and look to pull defenders with a high work rate (Litmanen), and someone who can unlock a defense with some magic feet (Ronaldinho)

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Quite an interesting yet functional team there, Edgar.

My only concern is that attack might find find it really tough to score past Skizzo's stacked defense

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Quite an interesting yet functional team there, Edgar.
Yeah. This alternate version functions a bit differently. Koeman's presence especially
- Would make the midfield slightly more adventurous and attack oriented.
- Adds a lot of creativity from the deep and get the ball quicker to my attack.
- provides additional goal threat. 26 goals in 46 game season is impressive for a center back!
- Plus enables the fullbacks to be far more aggressive and provides more width than original 1984 team too.

My only concern is that attack might find find it really tough to score past Skizzo's stacked defense
Yup. It's a top notch defence that Skizzo built.

Firstly, my defence is arguably better. I'd rank Koeman only next to Beckenbauer and Sammer in the specific role he's playing here. Same with Forster and Vogts who'd also make top 3 in the position they are playing. Secondly, with Ronaldinho and Litmanen mostly cutting in, I have the perfect players in Forster/Vogts to handle them.

As to attack, Batigol will get as much service from Giresse/Gullit as Nordahl will get from Ronnie/Litmanen. What gives me advantage is abundance of crosses from Briegel/Zambrotta. Overall I have better chance to get goals in than Skizzo.

GodShaveTheQueen

Fair points, Edgar.

My initial impressions were tilting me towards Skizzo but you do make good points.

Hope there is some debate I can read through and decide on my vote tomorrow.

Skizzo

Obviously any time he’s picked, need to post this by @Annahnomoss on Nordahl

Gunnar ''Il Bisonte" Nordahl
Position: Striker
Height: 1.80m (5’11”)
Weight: 92 kg (209 lbs.)
Achievements: 9x Top scorer of the league
Allsvenskan - 1943, 1945, 1946, 1948
Serie A - 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954 1955
Olympic Gold & Top scorer 1948
Swedish Footballer of the year 1947
Serie A - 1950-51, 1954-55
Latin Cup - 1950-51, 1955-56
Record holder as Serie A Top scorer (x5)

Career Statistics
Team--------Matches-------Goals-------
Club------------504-----------422--------
Sweden--------33------------43---------

Peak Statistics - 1947-51
Team--------Matches-------Goals-------Goals per game
Club------------121-----------109-------- 0.90
Sweden--------16------------28----------1.75
Total-----------137-----------137---------1.00

In his peak between 47-51(26-31 yo) Nordahl was maybe the greatest player in football, arguably the player of the year in '48 with the Olympics gold win as the top scorer, after just having won the Swedish league as the top scorer.

Just to move to Milan and score 16 goals in 15 league games to set the bar for his legendary Milan career.

49-50 - Again, the top scorer in Serie A with his 35 goals in 37 matches. Which had some of the best players in the world. One of the best players in the world as an individual but they failed to win anything as it was the first season for Grenoli to gel together with Milan.

In 50-51 he was also the stand out player of the year with Liedholm/Gren as he for the second consecutive time was the top scorer in Serie A with 34 goals in 37 matches and Milan won the league as well as the Latin Cup, the forerunner to the European Cup, in a historically domininant fashion.

After a 4-1 win against the Spanish champions they faced the French in the final where Nordahl with a hat-trick showed his brilliance, in what would be a 5-0 win to Milan. Certainly deserving of the Ballon with Liedholm had it existed that year.

Style of play

Record holder as the top scorer in Serie A after being the top scorer 5 times in just 6 seasons, which should be impossible as he went to Milan aged 27.

Technically limited but he epitomized the role of a poacher with some of the best natural goalscoring instincts football has ever seen. Accustomed of working against a packed defense, heavily outnumbered, yet he always read the balls trajectory and managed to be at the end of it whether it took a bounce on a defender or his teammate along the way.

He combined that predatory instinct with being able to finish with his first touch with both feet with equal ease. Half chances wasn't part of his vocabulary as he was a true master of scoring ugly goals. He struck half volleys, tap ins, volleys and off balance shots with pin point precision and if a ball wasn't perfectly cleared he had a knack for getting a toe on it and turning it to a goal.

What he lacked technically he made up for with an electric acceleration and good pace which he used to constantly beat the defenders and break free towards goal. Rarely dropping deep or standing still and instead almost solely focused on being a nuisance centrally.

Weighing in at 92 kg, his physical game earned him the nickname "Il Bisonte". Once in a game against Napoli the defender grabbed his jersey, but Nordahl dragged him along for nearly two dozen feet and scored a goal.

Inside the area he was a one man army battering ram and dominated the aerial duels and bullied the most fierce defenders with his strength. He didn't play ugly or foul but he made sure to enter every challenge at full intensity with all 92 kg of his body. Often knocking down the defenders to the ground as he won the 50-50 duels.

But he wasn't just a six-yard box poacher, he also packed a powerful shot for just outside the box that would punch a hole in the air as it rippled the net. He also had an understanding with Gren and Liedholm that surpassed their individual abilities.

With "Il Bisonte" inside the area and Gren and Liedholm making runs in to it the opponents defenders were often left short. Which meant he also played a major part in the 36 goals that Liedholm and Gren scored in one season in 49-50. Either from bullying his defenders with his strengths to set up a storming Gren/Liedholm.

Or from occupying several defenders on his own to create space for Liedholm and Gren. He was also more than capable of linking up with the two or lead the attack through carrying the ball forward at full speed.

Defensively as the team lost the ball his job under Raynor in particular was to press the defender in to making a long pass. Something far from the later tactical pressing and more like individual pressing from the wingers and forward.

Information

During this International break, I thought it might be interesting to take a look back at a Milan legend who gave up his right to represent his country in order to sign with Milan. If you’ve ever heard of the epic Gre-No-Li trio, he was the “No” in the Gre-No-Li. He is also the only player still to have won the capoconnoniere (top scorer) title five times in Serie A. So many goals, so many records, from such humble beginnings. Like other legendary players and coaches, Gunnar Nordahl is permanently etched into Milan history. In fact, he is known in Serie A as “Il Cannoniere,” or the gunner.

A giant of a man, a legend of a player

His national team career may have been cut short by ridiculous laws, but his statue in Sweden shows his value even today

It was at this point that Milan came calling for the robust 1.81m (5’11”) and 92 kg (209 lbs.) scoring machine. His size made him as feared as his skills, he was a danger in the air, was brilliant at scoring on the volley, as well as tap-ins and easy goals. But due to his size, he would become known as il Bisonte (the bison) in Italy. However, first he had to navigate Swedish laws, which may have been trickier than the toughest defense to unlock and allow him to play in Italy. Additionally, he would have to give up his chance to represent the Swedish national team anymore. This after 43 goals in 33 caps for Sweden. That includes helping lead Sweden to victory in the 1948 Olympics alongside two of his brothers, where he was also awarded the title of top scorer for that tournament.

Italy was different. Milan offered him a luxuriously furnished apartment in the heart of Milan, but instead he chose a simple, modest one on the outskirts of the city. When his teammates showed up for his first function in the most stylish suits of the day with luxury watches and nice shoes, he showed up in an inexpensive shirt and trousers. He was concerned about being able to fit into that world, but on the pitch it was no problem at all.

The legendary Swedish Milan trio: Gre-No-Li

In his first 15 games with Milan, he scored 16 goals, which led Milan to renegotiate and give him a better contract after only six months. Additionally, upon his recommendation, they would sign Swedish teammates Gunnar Gren and Niels Liedholm, who also forfeited their chance to represent Sweden anymore in order to help Milan win two Scudetti, in 1951 and 1955. Nordahl was capocannoniere in 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, and 1955. He still holds the record for the most Serie A goals scored post-war, with 35 goals in the 1949-50 season.

After his time at Milan, he went to Roma, where he played for two years and then stayed on for another year as a player-manager. Counting the goals he scored at Roma, he is the third highest all-time Serie A scorer, behind Silvio Piola and Francesco Totti, the latter of whom just passed him in 2012. Nordahl’s 210 goals scored in just seven years in Serie A has left his mark indelibly on Italy, and he is also AC Milan’s all time highest scorer, with 221 total goals for the club. But perhaps his most impressive feat is his scoring proficiency record, which he also holds for Serie A. Amazingly, he scored .77 goals per match. To put that in perspective, Piola’s scoring percentage is only .51. They just don’t make them like that anymore.

il Cannoniere

He went on to manage a number of clubs in Sweden, including IFK for two different spells. Sadly, he passed away in 1995 at the age of 73. But his legend in Sweden lives on, as IFK just recently named their supporters’ stands after him: the Curva Nordahl. The name blends his Italian legacy (“Curva Nord” is the north curve) and his Swedish and IFK legacies to honor a man who not only left his mark on Swedish and Italian football, but also paved the way for future Swedish players to be able to play in abroad today. Without Nordahl, there would be no Ibra. So let’s tip our hats to a true Milan legend and a great man, il Cannoniere.

Skizzo

Fair points, Edgar.

My initial impressions were tilting me towards Skizzo but you do make good points.

Hope there is some debate I can read through and decide on my vote tomorrow.
Don’t go falling into Edgar’s vat of snake oil straight away.

With Vogts and Forster picking up Litmanen and Ronaldinho, Koeman would be left with Nordahl. Nordahl likes to operate in the box and stretch the play deeper. With Ronaldinho and Litmanen operating in those areas between the fullbacks and center backs (I guess that’s what he’s saying they are?) then there’s a lot of responsibility being passed back and forth.

Koeman in that specific role is good at building play from the back, as a last defender/sweeper he’s not what you’d want to be up against someone like Nordahl, or to make a swashbuckling tackle against a Ronaldinho coming at you full tilt.

Baresi is comfortably the best defender on the pitch. Cole-Ronaldinho offers a more dangerous left flank than any 1-2 punch on the opposite side, Deco and Ronaldinho have had the privilege of playing together with Barca and showing us all how they can unlock a defense with their magic. Both defenses are compact for the opposition, but I’d argue that we’re much more likely to unlock the opposition than vice versa.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
but I’d argue that we’re much more likely to unlock the opposition than vice versa.
More likely to be a failed argument, since we both have similar 3 players upfront setup...but my defence has a extra player.

A cross from Briegel or Zambrotta to Batigol is the swiftest way to goal.

Campbell is good but Gullit is likely to get his own score there.

Skizzo

More likely to be a failed argument, since we both have similar 3 players upfront setup...but my defence has a extra player.

A cross from Briegel or Zambrotta to Batigol is the swiftest way to goal.

Campbell is good but Gullit is likely to get his own score there.
Your defense won’t have an extra player when Koeman is stepping into midfield to help and Zambrotta is down pitch pumping crosses into the box like he’s trying to impress Moyes.

Nordahl is just as likely to get on the end of a cross with all these swift crosses into the box too. We have swift crosses into the box. Swift crosses. Goal.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Your defense won’t have an extra player when Koeman is stepping into midfield to help and Zambrotta is down pitch pumping crosses into the box like he’s trying to impress Moyes.
That's the beauty of the formation.

My midfield is enough to dominate this game without assistance from Koeman. Having him there elevates both my midfield and defence elevates the team by a couple of notches.

Koeman is a class player who's super solid defensively and able to orchestrate play too. Watching him during his NT, Ajax or Barca stints, and he regularly is comfortable both centrally and out wide able to anticipate plays and comfortable moving to tackle or intercept.

Baresi may be the best individually but as a unit mine is just better.

Skizzo

That's the beauty of the formation.

My midfield is enough to dominate this game without assistance from Koeman. Having him there elevates both my midfield and defence elevates the team by a couple of notches.

Koeman is a class player who's super solid defensively and able to orchestrate play too. Watching him during his NT, Ajax or Barca stints, and he regularly is comfortable both centrally and out wide able to anticipate plays and comfortable moving to tackle or intercept.

Baresi may be the best individually but as a unit mine is just better.
Ah yes, the beauty of the formation that gives you advantages in the defense, the midfield, and the best route to goal. Of course. Why don’t we all apply such a formation?

Is Vogts tucking in or going to be following Ronaldinho? The ball into his feet and him running full pelt at your defense is a problem. Is Koeman tasked with focusing on defense, or is he leaving Nordahl for one of the “full time” center backs? What’s your plan for dealing with the three behind the striker operating in the pockets of space in and around your defense?

Koeman is a great player. I’ve used him in different setups and argued his case. He’s definitely gonna benefit from having more defensive minded people behind him. You have kind of a mish-mash of styles here though. Three of the magic square with 5 at the back and Koeman operating between both. A lone striker with wing backs, and up against two better full Backs in general.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is Vogts tucking in or going to be following Ronaldinho? The ball into his feet and him running full pelt at your defense is a problem. Is Koeman tasked with focusing on defense, or is he leaving Nordahl for one of the “full time” center backs? What’s your plan for dealing with the three behind the striker operating in the pockets of space in and around your defense?
What pockets of space? Your team lacks any kind of width to find spaces. Ronnie may drift wide, but Litmanen won't. He's primarily a central player. And I have the comfort of making your forwards run straight into my packed defence.

Depending on the ball, one of my CBs would move to aggressively tackle the ball carrier while the other two cover the rest of attack and cut off passes. Honestly all that talk of playing between lines and pockets of space isn't really happening against this defence.

Koeman role is pretty much standard libero. I'm not sure what explanations you need there.

Last edited:

Skizzo

What pockets of space? Your team lacks any kind of width to find spaces. Ronnie may drift wide, but Litmanen won't. He's primarily a central player. And I have the comfort of making your forwards run straight into my packed defence.

Depending on the ball, one of my CBs would move to aggressively tackle the ball carrier while the other two cover the rest of attack and cut off passes. Honestly all that talk of playing between lines and pockets of space isn't really happening against this defence.

Koeman role is pretty much standard libero. I'm not sure what explanations you need there.
oh right, sorry I forgot only your defenders attack and create space, Cole and Lahm have never offered any attacking output in their teams ever.

Go ahead and have defenders aggressively move to tackle Deco/Ronaldinho and they’d be around them and Ronaldinho would be in full flight.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
oh right, sorry I forgot only your defenders attack and create space, Cole and Lahm have never offered any attacking output in their teams ever.
Oh, I never said that. All I was arguing was that my formation enables my wingback to be far more aggressive than yours. As to width from fullbacks, I obviously have an advantage.

Go ahead and have defenders aggressively move to tackle Deco/Ronaldinho and they’d be around them and Ronaldinho would be in full flight.
The extra man is precisely there for this reason. Squeeze space.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So, in short — Edgar has a numerical advantage in defense and midfield, his attack is just as good and both his wingbacks as well as Koeman are better positioned to influence the game in attack?

GodShaveTheQueen

For me this is a scoreless draw or a close 1-0 in either direction. Both the defenses are quite excellent.

Gave this to EAP because I like the uniqueness of his setup and want to see where he takes this.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Really tight this one but I think Edgar will nick it. He has a width advantage and a better striker. I think Skizzo will end up a bit narrow and find it difficult to break down EAP's defence

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Really tight this one but I think Edgar will nick it. He has a width advantage and a better striker. I think Skizzo will end up a bit narrow and find it difficult to break down EAP's defence
Hmm, I think Lahm/Cole are nothing short of excellent at providing offensive width. There's also a DM duo to give them all the cover they need to go forward.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Hmm, I think Lahm/Cole are nothing short of excellent at providing offensive width. There's also a DM duo to give them all the cover they need to go forward.
I think EAP comparatively is in a better position to provide better width with his midfield three providing a base for the full-backs and Gullit is a bit of an ace card for variety in attack. Also IIRC Giresse was happier drifting wide than Litmanen but am happy to be corrected on that

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think EAP comparatively is in a better position to provide better width with his midfield three providing a base for the full-backs and Gullit is a bit of an ace card for variety in attack. Also IIRC Giresse was happier drifting wide than Litmanen but am happy to be corrected on that
True, Gullit will happily go wide, and my picture of Giresse is that he'll drift too. So I guess this will be very good.

Still think one dedicated width provider on each side is fine (and Dinho loved wide areas as well). I simply see it as the classic attacking FBs/inverted wide attackers setup. Can't say too much about Litmanen, so I leave that question to others.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
True, Gullit will happily go wide, and my picture of Giresse is that he'll drift too. So I guess this will be very good.

Still think one dedicated width provider on each side is fine (and Dinho loved wide areas as well). I simply see it as the classic attacking FBs/inverted wide attackers setup. Can't say too much about Litmanen, so I leave that question to others.
I think where we differ is on how much of a width provider Ronaldinho is.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ah, good to see more comments!

So, in short — Edgar has a numerical advantage in defense and midfield, his attack is just as good and both his wingbacks as well as Koeman are better positioned to influence the game in attack?
:lol: Did I mention having better Keeper too?

In all seriousness, though I have an extra man in defence, the players chosen ensure that goal threat doesn't drop at all.

If you exempt the forwards....
- Koeman (194 goals in 535 matches) has the second most career goals scored by players in this match....only 11 goals (!) behind Ronaldinho (205 goals in 511 matches). In 13 of his 17 seasons, he's played he's reached double digit goals scored averaging again an incredible 15+ goals every season! Incredible for a center-back!
- Briegel has scored nearly the same number of goals as Skizzo's entire defence put together. In 1981-82, he has 13 goals from 32 games...which again are huge stats for a fullback.

For all their goal scoring exploits, neither has ever been a defensive liability. They have been top notch and highly rated defenders all through their careers. The formation is tailored to get the best off both of them.

I have to point out that when looking at overall goal threat by the team, mine isn't any behind Skizzo's. In fact the variety of threat from all over the pitch will be more difficult to defend against.

here's also a DM duo to give them all the cover they need to go forward.
The duo of Fernandez-Tigana was fantastic for France. I'd say they are up to the task here as Simeone-Cambiasso! With an added defender behind them, the defensive solidity only improves more.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye. This looks like one of those opening games from the group stage of a tournament where both teams set up not to lose and settle for a low-scoring draw. Edgar's 5-4-1 and Skizzo's solid defence protected by that destructive duo suggests goals will be at a premium.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The duo of Fernandez-Tigana was fantastic for France. I'd say they are up to the task here as Simeone-Cambiasso! With an added defender behind them, the defensive solidity only improves more.
No question, they're perfect. My comment wasn't a comparison, just about the other team.
I think where we differ is on how much of a width provider Ronaldinho is.
Don't think we differ there, he liked to start out wide and cut into central areas. As I said, I see the setup as attacking FBs + wide forwards, basically. My point was more that there's no need for two guys on each flank as dedicated width providers.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For all their goal scoring exploits, neither has ever been a defensive liability. They have been top notch and highly rated defenders all through their careers. The formation is tailored to get the best off both of them.
Koeman was in a some situations and it looks like he's the main man on Nordahl based on your descriptions, which is not a good match.

Although I somehow feel that this back 5 is a bit of a cop out. Essentially, there's Koeman - Gullit link from PSV & than there's 3 parts of carre magique... but those were very different teams in their approach to the game and I don't feel that those styles mash up complimentary.

On a side note, I'd probably put Briegel centrally, move Vogts to the right and Zambrotta on another flank — and put. Briegel's physicality would help out with Nordahl (Vogts was many things and he certainly was very aggressive and physical, but he simply lacks muscle mass & height to contest Nordahl for aerial balls) and Vogts still can take care of Ronaldinho for most of the time — while this would actually free up Koeman. When you have 2 attacking wingbacks & a free-roaming libero, it takes the defensive solidity out of the back as you'd rarely actually get a numerical advantage.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Koeman was in a some situations and it looks like he's the main man on Nordahl based on your descriptions, which is not a good match.

On a side note, I'd probably put Briegel centrally, move Vogts to the right and Zambrotta on another flank — and put. Briegel's physicality would help out with Nordahl (Vogts was many things and he certainly was very aggressive and physical, but he simply lacks muscle mass & height to contest Nordahl for aerial balls) and Vogts still can take care of Ronaldinho for most of the time — while this would actually free up Koeman. When you have 2 attacking wingbacks & a free-roaming libero, it takes the defensive solidity out of the back as you'd rarely actually get a numerical advantage.
Forster? A GOAT and as tough a physical stopper as to comes, he certainly is a good match for Nordahl!

He was a world-class man-marker that tried to outsmart the opponent and not just to kick him to death — the usual tactics of the 80's. The list of his famous "victims" included Michel Platini and Hugo Sanchez.
:D