Auction Draft QF3 : VivaCrappy vs Annahnomoss

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
VivaCrappy's Tactics
Tactics:
Our team is a working unit who's purpose is to starve Maradona and Klinsmann off the ball and keep them away from goal, while exploiting Annahomoss' gaps in defense by quick transitions. We will play a deep-ish defensive line, and we'll press a lot and at high up(Check 'midfield' in our tactics) when Team Annah controls possession. Stealing the ball at any point will be devastating - Boniek, Conti & van Basten will all stay high up the pitch and will run at the defense, Riquleme can pick a pass both from an advanced or deep position and Matthaus can be devastating with his runs from the MF - you have it all with that quintuplet- skill, speed, technique, creativity, goalscoring. Our Attacking Setup ahead explains how we'll exploit Annah's only problem in his team.

Defensive Setup:

Stopping Maradona:
This will be the most important part of our tactics, and for that we have the great Fernando Redondo and Lothar Matthaus. Yes, Maradona is unstoppable, but in Annah's 5-3-1-1 Maradona will really rely on his space to work his magic, but you can't find someone better to deny him space than Redondo. Fernando will sit on Maradona throughout the game, and due to lack of forwards from Annah's team he will do it quite comfortably without worries to mark someone else, especially since he has the great Matthaus alongside him who break any play in the MF and charge forward with the ball.
In order to further minimize Maradona's output, we need to stop Klinsmann ,the only other forward in team Annah, too. We gave up on Rio, because Ayala & Adams are perfectly capable of dealing with Klinsmann and stopping him from receiving any passes from the deep. They've both dealt with top notch strikers throughout their careers, and they can deal with him.

Wings: We chose to give up on Lahm for this match because Sagnol suits our plans better being a more defensive full back. Basically, the way we see Annah's lineup, the only attacking threat he has from the wings is Brehme and Zanetti from wing back positions. We feel certain that Sagnol & Lizarazu are better defensively than Brehme and Zanetti are offensively. Not to mention both of his wingbacks have Conti and Boniek to deal with, would be a huge risk on their part to bomb forward at every opportunity.

Midfield: As said before, Redondo's sole role when Annah has possession is to stop Maradona, than distributing and starting attacks. That leaves Matthaus with his superb work rate and power to deal with whatever midfielder roaming forward from team Annah(Luis Enrique, Scholes or Mendieta). I think Matthaus is enough to press and minimize any effect from either of them. Riquleme who doesn't like to go down, won't, and he's job will be to press Sammer or Mendieta or whoever playmakes from deep and try to steal the ball on the opponent's half. And that's where the real magic happens, Boniek & Conti who don't have any big defensive duty, will press as LAM and RAM alongside Riquelme in order to steal the ball, creating a team effort with van Basten to press and steal the ball quickly, while not letting the opposition find time to organize attacks and make them depend on long balls to Klinsmann.

Attacking Setup:

Wings Wings Wings: As mentioned in the defensive tactics, Sagnol & Lizarazu are enough to deal with Annah's wide threat. If you take them out, there's no need for Boniek or Conti to track back. That is critical for us, because if van Basten and Riquelme will find it tight in the middle, Boniek and Conti will take advantage of the missing full backs and will bully Annah's CB trio. Every time Brehme or Zanetti will try to push forward and stretch the play, they'll leave Conti and Boniek, without defensive duties, to run onto the defense, creating a 3v3 or 3v4 with van Basten against the three CBs or with Deschamps maybe there.

Playing the Great Marco Van Basten:
We gave up on Rio & Lahm because we understood that we can stop him defensively without them, but Annah's strength is in defense and we wanted to avoid a 0-0 situation, so we pulled up the big gun. Three time Ballon'dor winner Van Basten goes in, Ruud goes out. Van Basten offers us much more threat in play. He has this ability to score any way he wants - inside,outside the box, header, volley etc. With Boniek and Conti staying so high the team has many ways of scoring, because van Basten will offer much more threat and will take a lot more concentration from Annah's defenders, giving more space for Boniek and Conti, as well as for Riquelme for his magic.

Tactical Change : Redondo and Lothar have a quick re-group with their managers. Redondo will now be sitting in front of the defense, dictating the game from the deep and closing out any space for any CMs running at the central defense.
Lothar will be running at Diego, not man marking but making sure that when he enters our half -
- he is not free to dribble past the whole team.
- Play a through pass to his front man
- If Diego plans to drop into his own half and play long passes from there, he if free to do so. Lothar won't be chasing him to his own half.
Key point - Even when Maradona does tackle past Lothar he would still have the obstacle of Redondo to overcome either by dribbling past him or slipping a pass around him.

Change - (after changing the formation)

- Redondo and Lothar fall back to form a defensive wall in front of the back 4.
- Ruud provides support to MVB up front.
- Boniek gets the free role in the middle to pressure his CMs or run out wide as appropiate.

TEAM VIVACRAPPY

TEAM ANNAHNOMOSS

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Annahnomoss' Tactics
Tactics: 5-3-1-1
Style: Low defense and hitting the opponent on quick breaks orchestrated by Maradona, who had the ability to thrive equally well if the opponent did have time to organize their defense.

After an unimpressive run of form the 1983-1990 Argentinian coach, Carlos Bilardo, created this 5-3-1-1/3-5-1-1 system to get the best of Maradona.

Maradona and the entire team greatly benifited of the system as they suddenly had three central midfielders instead of just two behind Maradona, which allowed them to control the midfield much easier. This took them to two straight WC finals where Maradona’s 1986 performance is by many considered the highest peak performance a player has ever had.

I have taken this system and improved the rather uninspiring individual quality it had and added slight tactical depth as the LCM and RCM have the ability to move out wide as well as play centrally.

Jorge Luis Browns has been replaced by arguably the best sweeper in the draft, and one of the best in history, the Ballon d’Or winning Matthias Sammer, who albeit won it for his libero role – also mastered and played the role of a sweeper in his career. He will be moving freely across the CB line, switching between LCB-CB-RCB depending on where the opponents are attacking.

I am playing a four man defense, with Sammer in this free defensive role - not a three man CB line.

If the opponents winger has the ball, Sammer will be moving out to the RCB or LCB position and double up on him with Javier Zanetti(RWB) or Andreas Brehme (LWB) – two of the very best full-backs in history and the most suited players for my tactic in the draft. Supported by Matthias Sammer in doubling up against the opponents wingers will make their life as hard as one can possibly imagine.

This means my central quartet of Maradona, Deschamps, Luis Enrique and Mendieta can all remain centrally to outnumber that area and congest it.

When the ball is won back, the wing-backs will be bombing forward which is why their ability to play as actual left/right midfielders is incredibly beneficial.

When the opponent attacks through the centre, Sammer and Vierchowod who was stylistically compared to Baresi will be aggressively intercepting passes and plays made in front of the defense- knowing Ferrara is behind them as a stopper. These situations are among the worst situations for an opponent to defend against as the interception and the cut-through counter pass is made by the same player within a moment - with the opponents all moving forward or already being in offensive positions.

Maradona has the ability to tear apart defenses not just when in a numerical advantage, but being up severely outnumbered.

Consisting of a brilliant triangle of Vierchowod, Ferrara and Deschamps who are all among the greats in their positions and all played together when Juventus won the CL final in 1995 forming a rock solid defense.

By then Vierchowod was in his last years, and here he is instead in his prime – known for his extra-ordinary pace, acceleration and response as well as his ball playing abilities. The myth says he was never actually dribbled past and outrun in his entire career and Maradona described him as:

“Argentine footballer Diego Maradona dubbed Vierchowod his toughest opponent,[1] stating that "[Vierchowod] was an animal, he had muscles to the eyelashes. It was easy to pass by him, but then when I raised my head, he was in front of me again. I would have to pass him two or three more times and then I would pass the ball because I couldn't stand him anymore".

Deschamps is here playing his defensive box-to-box role offensively keeping hte balance in the team and defensively, creating a triangle centrally with Vierchowod and the imposing, strong and brilliant leader of the game Ferrara – as well as Sammer in his free role. Sammer, Vierchowod and Ferrara will all be staying back during my offense to make sure there is as Little counter-threat against me as possible.

The LCM/RCM box-to-box midfielders are Mendieta and Luis Enrique, both are brilliant offensively and have an extra-ordinary work-rate and are good with the tackle. Both are comfortable moving out wide if Brehme or Zanetti finds space for a pass there – in which case they Brehme/Zanetti would instead cut in. They are both intelligent and complete all-rounders, capable of turning a Maradona pass in to a goal or freeing up Maradona behind the defense with a 1-2 - or if Maradona catches the attention of several opponents they have the abilities to punish the opponent if space opens up.

Four outstanding offensive players capable of interchanging fluidly on the break. Up front I have a hard-worker defensively in Klinsmann, offensively an absolutely outstanding goal-scorer. Capable of beating a man, but most known for never ending runs and finding space behind the defenders for a goal – or using his strength to hold them away and find the goal.

Maradona will have a perfect play ground around him with great runs all around and in front of him. He will have a free role and will be moving towards the ball wherever it may be. If Brehme has the ball by the right corner flag, Maradona will be right there to orchestrate the offense and be as involved as possible.

Handling my opponent

As Sammer has a free role in the defense, it doesn’t matter if my opponent plays one or two strikers as it will be two CB’s against the strikers/strikers.

As Maradona also has a free role, congesting certain areas won’t suffocate him, he will instead just move out to the ball wherever it is and dominate and orchestrate the game from there.

Klinsmann played in an era where being up against three centre-backs was common. It suits him perfectly to be up against a tough defense where his physicality, dribbling and brilliant ability to find space with smart runs can be used to its potential.

Annahnomoss

Maradona is in a free role, so Redondo man marking him is suicide for you. He will pull Redondo out left towards Enrique, then Redondo has a free route to goal. Absolute madness of a tactic. Maradona is not a central AM, he will be orchestrating and organizing my attacks whether they are out wide right, left or centrally. He is all over the pitch here to be involved as much as possible, so a man marking job(which Matthaus failed doing) will be suicide.

With Riquelme there not wanting to do much defensively, Matthaus will be extremely lonely in the defense work against Mendieta, Enrique and Deschamps centrally which is an impossible task for a great player.

Also, Ferrara, Vierchowod and Sammer will always stay back, so hitting me on the break will not hurt me much. You will always be up against three outstanding defenders in a best case scenario of you beating my full-backs and DM home.

VivaJanuzaj

Maradona is in a free role, so Redondo man marking him is suicide for you. He will pull Redondo out left towards Enrique, then Redondo has a free route to goal. Absolute madness of a tactic. Maradona is not a central AM, he will be orchestrating and organizing my attacks whether they are out wide right, left or centrally. He is all over the pitch here to be involved as much as possible, so a man marking job(which Matthaus failed doing) will be suicide.
Didn't quite get you there mate, I don't see any problem with Redondo man marking Maradona - if Diego pulls left, Redondo follows him, and if Lucho is storming inside he'll have Matthaus to beat. I also think that if you play counter attacks and Diego pulls out wide at times, your wing back won't be there too support and that leaves Maradona against Redondo & a full back. That's the problem of you're long balls tactics, you don't get too many players to join the attack as quickly as you'd like

Malva

i don't think maradona can be stopped with the team he has around him, nor with the supposed tactics against him.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Since 4 v 3 in MF may become an issue in this game, wanted to bring back this excellent analysis by @Balu in the WC draft about how 4 does not have a huge advantage over a 3 man MF and how pressing by forwards can nullify that completely. Keep in mind that two of the 3 in our MF are Redondo and Matthaus

Okay I fight the midfield battle a bit different to TITO, but here we go. There's something that's driving my crazy since 1982 when everyone started raving about that magic square and how brilliant it is.

Here's my theory...

... there is no 4vs3 numerical advantage in football, it simply doesn't exist. Sounds strange? I'll try to explain, so if you're into tactics, go with it, even it might seem idiotic at first. (You can still call me a fool in the end, I don't mind ;) ).

Numerical advantage in possession means, I've always a free passing lane available, right? That's the idea.

So there's 2vs1, well, no need to explain anything, obviously defending alone against 2 sucks.

There's 3vs2, we all know the 3 man midfield discussion all too well, right, but I'll love to use pictures, so here is one.

Whatever the 2 defenders try to do, there's always a passing option available or the player with the ball can move forward himself. So you need a 3rd defender. Here you go, midfield domination gone.

Okay, we're getting somewhere, now we add the 4th midfielder in possession, 4vs3 now:

It's still only 3 defenders, but Defender 1 is closing down the DM in possession while at the same time blocking the passing lane towards the 2nd CM. The angles are so small, that the 4th midfielder can't move anywhere to actually be available for an open pass, so it's still up to one of the 2 midfielders close to the ball to find a way to become available.

Now it gets really interesting and I hope it shows why the magic square is so vulnerable against pressing, the 4th defender comes into play.

The 4th defender will create a 1vs2 situation which means the DM will be forced to pass back to one of the defenders or try to kick it forward and hope for the best. The 4222 lacks width, his fullbacks need to be careful because the wings are already outnumbered and if they move forward to build a triangle out wide in midfield, my fullbacks can cover them.

That's really the idea behind what I called 'hunting for the ball' in my defensive tactics in the OP with Cruyff as my 4th defender while Forlan stays with the centerback closer to the ball. You need triangles to play through pressing, but you can't build triangles in a 4222. If you don't believe that actually works, well them I'm in trouble, big big trouble. (It works though, just watch some of the videos I linked to in the op).

Annahnomoss

Didn't quite get you there mate, I don't see any problem with Redondo man marking Maradona - if Diego pulls left, Redondo follows him, and if Lucho is storming inside he'll have Matthaus to beat. I also think that if you play counter attacks and Diego pulls out wide at times, your wing back won't be there too support and that leaves Maradona against Redondo & a full back. That's the problem of you're long balls tactics, you don't get too many players to join the attack as quickly as you'd like
Matthaus will have to mark out Luis Enrique and Mendieta, he can't do a work on both of them and Riquelme won't make the defensive run you need. Man marking Maradona with Redondo is absolutely crazy, he will be pulled out of position leaving you with one(!) CM up against Enrique and Mendieta.

Annahnomoss

Maradona was up against better defenses on a regular in Italy in the 80's, being man marked most of those matches, it was more common than a rarity in all games not just when Maradona played for that matter. Matthaus tried to man mark Maradona and failed, Redondo will have a worse success rate than Matthaus most likely too.

I couldn't be happier than seeing Redondo man marking Maradona, he is playing one CM in the defense now with Maradona pulling Redondo all around the pitch - while still being able to be pretty involved in the game. Redondo won't be able to keep Maradona from getting the ball, like has been proven when he has been man marked by better players against better defenses.

Malva

it's not a square though, it's a diamond. there isn't two horizontal lines, it's a stopper, two midfielders, and the creater. totally different.

Didn't quite get you there mate, I don't see any problem with Redondo man marking Maradona
you don't see whats wrong with using (albeit a fantastic dmf) redondo trying to man mark the greatest player in the games' history?

I don't think you can even limit him, at all with an incomplete tactic like that.

i really really like your team, and love that it was built around one of the true genius playmakers of a generation, riquelme, with one of the greatest forwards ever, and two terrific pacy wingers with hard work, you frankly have an extremely strong team.

but no one compares to maradona, and the team anahmoss built gets the best out of him, and does very well to match against yours. the energy of enrique/mendieta will be tremendously effective, and that combined with a giant of a dmf in desailly, and the greatest player ever leading attack, despite your incredible team i've been heavily swayed to anah.

Annahnomoss

I also want to further point out that my defense set-up is perfect to counter my opponent here. When Boniek or Conti has the ball they will be up against the best full-back pairing in the draft possibly. Sammer will be doubling up on them, and their job couldn't get any harder.

When Riquelme has the ball - pressured by Deschamps - I will have both Vierchowod and Sammer ready to intercept and handle passes. Boniek will with his great movement show up anywhere, which makes Sammer's role incredibly suiting as he can follow Boniek as he drifts around to find space.

crappycraperson

Scout
Maradona was up against better defenses on a regular in Italy in the 80's, being man marked most of those matches, it was more common than a rarity in all games not just when Maradona played for that matter. Matthaus tried to man mark Maradona and failed, Redondo will have a worse success rate than Matthaus most likely too.

I couldn't be happier than seeing Redondo man marking Maradona, he is playing one CM in the defense now with Maradona pulling Redondo all around the pitch - while still being able to be pretty involved in the game. Redondo won't be able to keep Maradona from getting the ball, like has been proven when he has been man marked by better players against better defenses.
Bizarre stuff. We were told earlier that Matthaus should not be used in a defensive role and now Redondo should n't be either? Matthaus man marking Maradona failed because it took out Lothar out of the game as well. Puting a complete MF like him in an isolated role is a mistake.

Redondo is not trying to man mark Diego out of the game. Maradona's myth is as such that no one can seemingly mark him out. But he is trying to reduce his influence on the game, I can not think of a a better player than Redondo to do that. If he succeeds in getting Diego to pass it to other CMs instead of trying to run the game himself, that's job done.

crappycraperson

Scout
I also want to further point out that my defense set-up is perfect to counter my opponent here. When Boniek or Conti has the ball they will be up against the best full-back pairing in the draft possibly. Sammer will be doubling up on them, and their job couldn't get any harder.

When Riquelme has the ball - pressured by Deschamps - I will have both Vierchowod and Sammer ready to intercept and handle passes. Boniek will with his great movement show up anywhere, which makes Sammer's role incredibly suiting as he can follow Boniek as he drifts around to find space.
Errm It 's pretty much the worst set up for a team relying on wing backs for width. If your wing backs play conservatievly, my full backs can join Boniek or Conti to double up. If they go ahead my wingers who stay up top will bank on that empty space.

Getting Sammer away from his central position is precisely what we want. That's not his strength at all. He is already playing in his non favored role and I will back my wide men to beat him on the line. It also means Van Basten has one less body to tackle and drive it home!

Annahnomoss

it's not a square though, it's a diamond. there isn't two horizontal lines, it's a stopper, two midfielders, and the creater. totally different.

you don't see whats wrong with using (albeit a fantastic dmf) redondo trying to man mark the greatest player in the games' history?

I don't think you can even limit him, at all with an incomplete tactic like that.

i really really like your team, and love that it was built around one of the true genius playmakers of a generation, riquelme, with one of the greatest forwards ever, and two terrific pacy wingers with hard work, you frankly have an extremely strong team.

but no one compares to maradona, and the team anahmoss built gets the best out of him, and does very well to match against yours. the energy of enrique/mendieta will be tremendously effective, and that combined with a giant of a dmf in desailly, and the greatest player ever leading attack, despite your incredible team i've been heavily swayed to anah.
Thanks mate. I agree, Redondo isn't a man marker, he is more known for his ability with the ball as a defensively positioned midfielder rather than for his great defensive work. Even then Maradona was man marked on a weekly basis and that is the era under which he built his legacy, he would perform as good or better than what he became known as the best or second best in history for.

Annahnomoss

Errm It 's pretty much the worst set up for a team relying on wing backs for width. If your wing backs play conservatievly, my full backs can join Boniek or Conti to double up. If they go ahead my wingers who stay up top will bank on that empty space.

Getting Sammer away from his central position is precisely what we want. That's not his strength at all. He is already playing in his non favored role and I will back my wide men to beat him on the line. It also means Van Basten has one less body to tackle and drive it home!
He will be operating between LCB-CB-RCB, he isn't the one you have to beat out right or left, it is Zanetti and Brehme who are covered by him. Even if you beat them both Brehme-Vierchowod-Ferrara and most of my midfield will already be in and around the box.

crappycraperson

Scout
I am baffled as to why with 4 CMs on the pitch, is Annah saying he will try to play CA? That makes little sense. What will his MF do if not exchange passes with each other, just sit back and boot us the ball forward?

crappycraperson

Scout
He will be operating between LCB-CB-RCB, he isn't the one you have to beat out right or left, it is Zanetti and Brehme who are covered by him. Even if you beat them both Brehme-Vierchowod-Ferrara and most of my midfield will already be in and around the box.
Are you suggesting that neither of your full back would ever go forward? No way your formatting works without either providing the width to stretch the play otherwise my full backs would just tuck in and congest the central area too much. One if not both would have to go forward. Which means either Redondo or Lothar can play the out ball to a free Boniek or Conti. After that Sammer has to scramble to close either down as per your tactics. It is a reactionary move and with the right movement, a chance can easily be carved up for Van Basten, who would most definitely only need one opening.

Annahnomoss

I am baffled as to why with 4 CMs on the pitch, is Annah saying he will try to play CA? That makes little sense.
I have Zanetti and Brehme outside of the proven defensive Juventus rock of Deschamps, Ferrara and Vierchowod - with Sammer sweeping. My defense is incredible and I can afford it as Brehme/Zanetti will put in a shift offensively as well near what one could desire from a LM/RM.

Maradona has also proven he can score or create a goal against any defense, and with the improvements in this side he most certainly will,

crappycraperson

Scout
I have Zanetti and Brehme outside of the proven defensive Juventus rock of Deschamps, Ferrara and Vierchowod - with Sammer sweeping. My defense is incredible and I can afford it as Brehme/Zanetti will put in a shift offensively as well near what one could desire from a LM/RM.

Maradona has also proven he can score or create a goal against any defense, and with the improvements in this side he most certainly will,
How does that answer that question? What will your rest of the MFs be doing? Just boot up the ball or pass it to Diego? You won't be playing CA football simply because you will have more possession and there will be little space for you to exploit with 2 defensive full backs.

VivaJanuzaj

I think the real question here is how will Annah score besides a brilliant brilliant Maradona moment?
I mean Annah has absolutely no wide threat, if Maradona goes wide he has very capable full backs to make it 2vs1 on him, if he stays in the middle he has to beat Redondo and another defender, I don't think its obvious he'll score a stunner here.
As for us, we are perfectly capable on scoring on a counter. Annah has 4 midfielders here, including Mendieta & Sammer who are perfect to maintain possession, just because he placed he's defenders deep doesn't mean he'll play counter attacks, thats just playing tricks using the visual. He's team isn't really capable of that because he'll have no threat and it will be 2 or 3vs4 players every time, while when we counter with Boneik-Conti-Riquelme-VB it will always be 4vs4 or 4vs5.

VivaJanuzaj

No you can't really. When you do that it will play straight in to our tactics, leaving Boniek alone will be madness.
Maradona can score against any defense? Okay, so you picked up Maradona and you have a solid defense and you win every draft. Game over.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
We will play a deep-ish defensive line, and we'll press a lot and at high up(Check 'midfield' in our tactics) when Team Annah controls possession.
@crappycraperson and @VivaJanuzaj , could you elaborate on this a bit? I'm far from a tactics mastermind, but a high press and a deep defensive line sounds like it'll leave acres of space in midfield, which is suicidal against Maradona.

Annahnomoss

Are you suggesting that neither of your full back would ever go forward? No way your formatting works without either providing the width to stretch the play otherwise my full backs would just tuck in and congest the central area too much. One if not both would have to go forward. Which means either Redondo or Lothar can play the out ball to a free Boniek or Conti. After that Sammer has to scramble to close either down as per your tactics. It is a reactionary move and with the right movement, a chance can easily be carved up for Van Basten, who would most definitely only need one opening.
Ferrara and Vierchowod would stand on the outside of Sammer. Ferrara being a great RB and Vierchowod having played in a three man defense himself and having unbeatable pace will make sure it will be a great defensive unit left behind to negate the threat of counters.

If you want to let Zanetti and Brehme attack against just your full-backs then I am stoked about that, personally I believe you need Boniek and Conti down there helping them out as good as they can or that is a big advantage for me. With Luis Enrique and Mendieta as LCM/RCM you may at any given moment be up against Enrique/Brehme on the left side otherwise, or Zanetti and Mendieta out right - which would be suicide for you in my eyes.

Annahnomoss

You can't really press high with a one man central midfield, considering Redondo is man marking Maradona. It is technically impossible really. Matthaus steps up to press, who covers behind? Who presses the other passing alternatives? Riquelme? Known for not being defensively great, but is now suddenly asked to make an absolute immense defensive effort to follow the runs of Enrique/Mendieta and to press mercilessly.

crappycraperson

Scout
Give us a moment. I will discuss it with Viva and one us will be here. Some confusion due to missed PMs. Sorry

Annahnomoss

You're right. @crappycraperson take over?
Stay in it mate, both of you can argue it is alright. Just don't post too much too fast if that is alright as I won't have a chance to respond to anything. I prefer that we all three just agree not to post a lot when the opponent/s aren't around if that is okay?

VivaJanuzaj

Stay in it mate, both of you can argue it is alright. Just don't post too much too fast if that is alright as I won't have a chance to respond to anything. I prefer that we all three just agree not to post a lot when the opponent/s aren't around if that is okay?
Alright fair enough.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
You can't really press high with a one man central midfield, considering Redondo is man marking Maradona. It is technically impossible really. Matthaus steps up to press, who covers behind? Who presses the other passing alternatives? Riquelme? Known for not being defensively great, but is now suddenly asked to make an absolute immense defensive effort to follow the runs of Enrique/Mendieta and to press mercilessly.
That's my thinking. Viva/Crappy's tactics seem like they'll be spreading their players way, way too far over the pitch in the defensive phase.

VivaJanuzaj

@crappycraperson and @VivaJanuzaj , could you elaborate on this a bit? I'm far from a tactics mastermind, but a high press and a deep defensive line sounds like it'll leave acres of space in midfield, which is suicidal against Maradona.
I don't think our defensive line will be deep hence wrote deep-ish. It won't be as high as a possession team play or deep as a counter team plays, because our team has the weapons to do both. We will more of a counter attacking team in order to get the least of Maradona, because letting him counter will be madness.

Riquleme isn't defending, he's pressing. There's a big difference. With the lack of offensive threat from you're wings, I can allow Boniek & Conti to go to the middle when I don't have the ball, than you get a pressing trio in the middle of Boniek-Riquelme-Conti, really making it hard for Sammer/Mendieta to play the ball like they want, forcing them to push it higher up.