Auction-Trade Madness Draft - R1: MJJ vs Isotope

With players at career peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

........................................... TEAM MJJ ............................................................................................. TEAM ISOTOPE .........................................

TEAM MJJ

Law, Hazard and Stoichov is a very complementary attack, will all three having excellent technical skills. Law's all round ball skills will be essential to the way we play as the ball retention and movement of the front six will be important to getting a win. A point of contention could be the inclusion of Gerrard but there arent many players better to play the box to box role with beckenbauer covering for his obvious weaknesses.

Some information about my defense.

Renzo De Vecchi- A ball-winning full-back, he was known for his strength, tackling ability, anticipation, and his organisational skills on the left flank, and was also capable of playing in the centre or in midfield. De Vecchi is the youngest player to play for Milan in Serie A and for the Italian National Side. Nicknamed Il Figlio di Dio" (The Son of God).

José Leandro de Souza Ferreira- A member of the star studded brazil side of 1982. A fullback who can contribute in both attack and defense, with good dribbling, crossing skills. Later in his career moved to the CB position, which gives a testament to his defensive skills.

Billy Wright- One of the greatest defender English football produced, came second in a Ballon D'or vote and won FWA player of the year. He was the captain and heart of one of the greatest club teams Wolves of 50s.

Ledley King- One of the most intelligent and complete defenders that England have ever produced. If not for his injury troubles, would be recognized as on par with ferdinand. Thierry Henry said: “I don’t like defenders who hold the shirts of other players. The only defender here who doesn’t do that and still gets the ball off my feet easily is Ledley King. He is the only guy who doesn’t hold players. He will get the ball off you without you even noticing.”

Why we will win:-

• The front three of both sides are similar, with a playmaking winger, a wing-forward and a striker who can drop deep. However, having law over ibrahimovic gives me a big edge.
  • Isotope has a lovely midfield three but stylistically guardiola is a poor fit to mark zidane. It would require one of seedorf and schweign. to drop deep which should enable me to take control of midfield.
  • With both Ronaldinho and Stoichov on the same flank, I would expect the fullbacks of both sides to be skinned regularly. This is where having an extra man in attack will be useful as my team is more likely to make these opportunities count

TEAM ISOTOPE

Defence
A giant between the sticks is the Rossoneri number one, Sebastiano Rossi. At 6’ 6” tall, he is aggressive and physically strong goalkeeper, able to exert full command of his area while possessing superb aerial ability.

The heart of our defence are two among the best of their continents: the "Il Muro di Berlino" Fabio Cannavaro and the "El Cabezón" Oscar Ruggeri. Patrolling the flank while defensively ruthless are the well-known Paolo Montero and Mauro Tassotti. Both comfortable defending in wide areas and able to get up and back on the line.

Midfield
The ‘doble pivot’ give support to the defense, with Bastian Schweinsteiger breaking up opposition attacks, and Pep Guardiola set the team’s tempo. With his cultured range of passing, Guardiola will be distributing the ball, either with long ball or intricate short exchanges.

Clarence Seedorf, a special player that combined skill, vision and excellent stamina and strength, will provide balance in midfield. Seedorf can support the attack, with his timing run in from deeper positions.

Winger
To either side of the striker, two wider players job is to create chances from the flanks as well as cutting in. As one of the best dribbler of all time, Ronaldinho will use his dribbling runs and playmaking to lead the attack from out left or in a more central area.

Arjen Robben also has great dynamic movement behind the defensive lines or as for Holland to receive a shorter pass to his feet and run straight at the defense. Both of them are fantastic goalscorers with a goalscoring ratio that would be great even for strikers.

(Thanks to @Skizzo and @Annahnomoss for both players write up).

Striker
"If I had played in England I would have destroyed it, like I have everywhere else." One of the most entertaining footballers in the world, Ibrahimovic is a big but skillful target man who can hold the ball up and lay it off for the oncoming midfielders, or finishing chances himself with incredible strikes.
With the genuine quality of players behind him, he will receive plenty of balls into the penalty area.

Why you may like this team

Bus parking is not allowed. With the players it has in attack and midfield, this team will play attractive football. The excitement provided by Ronaldinho dribbling, Robben speed (and antics), and Zlatan being Zlatan is just mouth-watering.

The midfield support of Seedorf- Schweinsteiger-Guardiola is a combo of toughness, skill, and vision. At last, the defensive line of Ruggeri, Cannavaro, Tassotti, and Montero will provide the incredibly stable platform to the team when attacking and defending.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
those small letters for first names is putting me off..

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Voted MJJ.

On the assumption that the keeper is Gianluigi Buffon and not his evil twin Luca, as that could swing it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think @Isotope will be better set up like

Seedorf.......Schweini
.........Guardiola........

Which si pretty close to what they played irl.

Stoichkov in the right is near blasphemy. Plus both him and Hazard are more likely to cut in and superior defensive line of Iso plus Monteros and Tassotti ability to cut in will tilt the balance in his favour.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

Seedorf.......Schweini
I agree. Guardiola squeezing the space for Zidane and Seedorf can drift left to provide some width in attack - I don't buy Montero bombing up the line when Dingo cuts in.

Re-MJJ I don't think Hazard and Zidane work well together as both want to occupy the inside left position. I don't have an issue with Stoichkov on the right - there's no reason he couldn't thrive there.

Leaning Iso due to his defence

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Seedorf.......Schweini

Stoichkov in the right is near blasphemy. Plus both him and Hazard are more likely to cut in and superior defensive line of Iso plus Monteros and Tassotti ability to cut in will tilt the balance in his favour.
Totally agree on the midfield configuration, totally disagree on Stoichkov. It was pretty well established that he played alot there at his Ballon d'Or winning peak. This might dredge up unpleasant memories for @Gio and @Theon .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Really interesting match-up this. I don't think I've ever seen a team with three such distinctive units between defence, midfield and attack as Isotope's 4-3-3. Not a criticism because it all looks very clean and there is plenty of quality, more an observation. It's hard to envisage any member of those three units moving back or forward into another line of the 4-3-3.

Seedorf.......Schweini

True. Suspect @Isotope swung it around because people might think Guardiola would get rinsed in a head-to-head with Zidane. But it's clearly two units battling in there rather than a series of head-to-head battles, so it's irrelevant IMO. Especially when neither Schweinsteiger or Seedorf are inclined to venture far from the centre of the park.

As for Stoichkov, he played on the right frequently for Barcelona in his Ballon D'Or winning 93/94 season. And in a modern set-up where wide attackers are almost entirely inverted, he'd very likely play the same role. Especially with such a fantastic overlapper as Leandro offering options down the line. And even moreso with a central midfield including the Kaiser and Zidane which is bound to take control of the ball to allow the full-backs to get forward.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Seedorf.......Schweini

True. Suspect @Isotope swung it around because people might think Guardiola would get rinsed in a head-to-head with Zidane. But it's clearly two units battling in there rather than a series of head-to-head battles, so it's irrelevant IMO. Especially when neither Schweinsteiger or Seedorf are inclined to venture far from the centre of the park.
Yeh. Usually people see the AMC against DM, then judge only based on that. This current setup should be fine also, as Guardiola can do the playmaking there as well. He's not there as a pure playmaker as in Pirlo, for instance.

Enigma_87

You know who
Stoichkov was more of a Figo type rather than Neymar in terms of modern day wide forward. I doubt he'll play in inverted position, unless he changed his game.

The Ballon D'or was largely based on his WC form where he was coming usually from the left, as always.. His 92/93 La Liga form was better in terms of individual game, and he was more influential at the time compared to when Romario arrived.

One of Stoichkov main assets is his delivery from the left, especially his crossing. As I've mentioned before - it's not like you can't play him on the right, but you are limiting his game to a inverted modern day wing forward - his delivery from that side is good as gone.

^^^ as an example. When played on the right he usually cut in and dragged the ball back or looked for short option, even if you look at the first 1-2 mins of the compilation of his passes/assist you can easily notice the difference.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Posted in other thread:

Interesting snippet of Cruyff biography on Guardiola:
--
Cruyff managed Guardiola at Barcelona during his eight-year tenure as boss at the Nou Camp between 1988 and 1996 but the Catalan giants’ hierarchy were unimpressed with the midfielder’s progress during the early years of his career at the La Masia academy.

“As a player at Barcelona, they wanted to get rid of Pep because they thought he was a lanky great beanpole who couldn't defend, who had no strength and couldn't do anything in the air,” he wrote.

“So he was blamed for all the things he wasn't good at, while I thought they were all things he could learn to do well.

“What all those people didn't see was that Guardiola had the fundamental qualities needed at the top level: speed of action, technique, insight. Those are phenomena that very few people exhibit, but in his case they were present in spades.
---
source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...f-manchester-city-bayern-munich-a7343966.html

MJJ

Seedorf.......Schweini

He was excellent on the right? Allows him to cut in on his left foot too.

MJJ

I agree. Guardiola squeezing the space for Zidane and Seedorf can drift left to provide some width in attack - I don't buy Montero bombing up the line when Dingo cuts in.

Re-MJJ I don't think Hazard and Zidane work well together as both want to occupy the inside left position. I don't have an issue with Stoichkov on the right - there's no reason he couldn't thrive there.

Leaning Iso due to his defence
Hazard was excellent in the three amigos version of chelsea with Oscar and mata so there is proof of him coexisting with ams who occupy samee space.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Hazard was excellent in the three amigos version of chelsea with Oscar and mata so there is proof of him coexisting with ams who occupy samee space.
Oscar is a rather different player than Zidane. Worked a bit deeper and didn't drift into the left channel as much. Either way Hazard is better when he's more central than with Mata and Oscar

MJJ

Oscar is a rather different player than Zidane. Worked a bit deeper and didn't drift into the left channel as much. Either way Hazard is better when he's more central than with Mata and Oscar
Agreed but it does show that he can work well with three players who like playing centrally and he is my fourth best attacker in the setup so can be sacrificed a bit.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Seedorf.......Schweini

Agreed, no idea why they were depicted that way.

Have no problem with Stoichkov, as creator in chief he favoured the left, but I don't think that's what he is being asked -or needs- to do here at all. It's the midfield pair which looks completely random. WTF?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Posted in other thread:

Interesting snippet of Cruyff biography on Guardiola:
--
Cruyff managed Guardiola at Barcelona during his eight-year tenure as boss at the Nou Camp between 1988 and 1996 but the Catalan giants’ hierarchy were unimpressed with the midfielder’s progress during the early years of his career at the La Masia academy.

“As a player at Barcelona, they wanted to get rid of Pep because they thought he was a lanky great beanpole who couldn't defend, who had no strength and couldn't do anything in the air,” he wrote.

“So he was blamed for all the things he wasn't good at, while I thought they were all things he could learn to do well.

“What all those people didn't see was that Guardiola had the fundamental qualities needed at the top level: speed of action, technique, insight. Those are phenomena that very few people exhibit, but in his case they were present in spades.
---
source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...f-manchester-city-bayern-munich-a7343966.html
Think Cruyff picked him in his all-time XI too? ..... for some reason

MJJ

Agreed, no idea why they were depicted that way.

Have no problem with Stoichkov, as creator in chief he favoured the left, but I don't think that's what he is being asked -or needs- to do here at all. It's the midfield pair which looks completely random. WTF?
What about it is random?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No discussion on how Ronaldinho and Robben would "roast" those fullbacks repeatedly?

antohan

What about it is random?
Combining Beckenbauer and Gerrard in midfield. Probably the most mind-twisting combo I've seen in a draft.

Beckenbauer is of course absolutely fine. I love midfield Beckenbauer. All Gerrard, completely out of his depth in that company, on the left side, and the last kind of midfielder I'd play next to Kaiser 66 (or behind Zidane for that matter).

MJJ

Combining Beckenbauer and Gerrard in midfield. Probably the most mind-twisting combo I've seen in a draft.

Beckenbauer is of course absolutely fine. I love midfield Beckenbauer. All Gerrard, completely out of his depth in that company, on the left side, and the last kind of midfielder I'd play next to Kaiser 66 (or behind Zidane for that matter).
Behind zidane I kind of see the criticism but I dont see the problem with beckenkenbauer. Gerrard at his best was an ball winning box to box all action player who brought a lot of energy to midfield. Partnering him with zidane and Beckenbauer allows him to rampage in midfield while not really needing his playmaking skills.

I also feel like he is an inferior overath, in terms of skillset, who beckenbauer made a good partnership with.

antohan

Behind zidane I kind of see the criticism but I dont see the problem with beckenkenbauer. Gerrard at his best was an ball winning box to box all action player who brought a lot of energy to midfield. Partnering him with zidane and Beckenbauer allows him to rampage in midfield while not really needing his playmaking skills.

I also feel like he is an inferior overath, in terms of skillset, who beckenbauer made a good partnership with.
Beckenbauer is 10x the player Gerrard is. If you play Gerrard you are implicitly turning Beckenbauer into the "holding midfielder" which is criminal. You simply don't adjust Kaiser to give StevieG freedom, it's crazy.

Any old balanced/defensive mid would better serve your team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Gerrard was still a nearly man as B2B at Liverpool. At that time, he was famous as "Roy of the Rovers" as he wants to do it all: defending, attacking, playmaking, goalscorer. Meanwhile, his role here most likely as a destroyer, supporting the silky Zidane, and Beckenbauer. He might able to "do the job", but its cutting half of his abilities.

He might be able to develop into a beast of B2B under different manager (i.e. Sir Alex), but eventually he made his name as SS under Benitez.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Still on the fence here. If Isotope's midfield would've been positioned differently I would've probably voted for him already.

Gerrard in midfield with Zidane and Beckenbauer is a bad decision, imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

No offence but Overath is nothing like Gerrard - polar opposites in terms of style. One is a technician who was a pass and move, dribbling maestro and the other is more a powerhouse who needs to be unleashed.

MJJ

No offence but Overath is nothing like Gerrard - polar opposites in terms of style. One is a technician who was a pass and move, dribbling maestro and the other is more a powerhouse who needs to be unleashed.
Thats why I said he is an inferior overath in terms of skillset.

Anyways, congrats @Isotope.