Auction-Trade Madness Draft-SF: Raees/Invictus vs. Pat Mustard

With players at career peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Indnyc

Team Raees/Invictus

Vs.

Team Pat_Mustard

Tactics Team Raees/Invictus

• Formation: Vertically oriented 4-3-1-2 with a strong focus on midfield given Rivera's ability to control games, Masopust's excellence as a left half/auxiliary playmaker, Coluna's tenacious and technically complete play on the right, and Zito's intelligence and organisational nous as the holding midfielder.
  • Ideology: Fairly direct and robust given the incisive nature of the attackers, but also a strong emphasis to control possession and regulate the game - especially with the addition of the Masterful Coluna - who boats a heady mix of stamina and strength, on top of accurate and powerful long-distance shot and technical skills. Aside from proven pedigree for Portugal, and one of the most storied teams of the European Cup - Benfica - with whom he won 2 crowns and reached 4 finals.
Manuel Neuer is one of the best keepers in the draft and of all time. Given his trademark style of play in terms of using his feet in the build-up phase or launching counters with his hands, he can be the ideal genesis of several attacks as well.

In the heart of defense, we've gone with a minor functional change. The quality remains the same, so it's a lateral move - but we now have someone who's a seamless fit with just about anyone, and one of the few GOAT caliber defenders to boast sweeper level technique and defensive nous in addition to the physique and athleticism of some of the best stoppers over the years. Could wax lyrical all day long, but to cut a long story short, Don Elías Figueroa is quite simply one of the greatest ever and undoubtedly the greatest and most complete from the South American continent.

Perhaps the best tribute of that era came from Beckenbauer, who famously said: “I'm the European Figueroa.”
To the left of him is another legendary centerback - El Capitán de America, Héctor Chumpitaz - widely regarded as one of the best central defenders in history and as one of the true Sudamerican greats - alongside the likes of Santamaría and Nasazzi.
  • 1969 Best Defender CONMEBOL
  • 1971 Best Defender CONMEBOL
  • 1973 All Stars CONMEBOL: Captain
  • 2000 World Soccer's: The 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
  • 2004 South American - Player of the Century: Ranking Nº 35
  • 2007 Midfield Dynamo's 10 Heroes of the Copa América
  • 2007 Copa América All-Star team, all-time
  • 2008 All Stars CONMEBOL in the last 50 years
A quick, resolute and powerful figure belying his small-ish frame, Chumpitaz is a seamless fit with the Don, and the collective defensive and leadership ability of the duo, on top of rare athleticism and man-marking ability will help safeguard the central zones against Ro-Ro.

To the left of Chumpitaz is one of the most most tactically malleable players of all time, Leovegildo Júnior. A world class player as leftback, box-to-box playmaker, or defensive midfielder, here Júnior will operate as a playmaking leftback who can dovetail wonderfully with Masopust while boasting good levels of defensive awareness given the relatively complete nature of his game and the intelligence with which he operated on the pitch:

Completing the defense is a bona fide X-Factor in the offensive phase, Manfred Kaltz - whose crossing threat is perhaps second best to only Beckham down the right - and suits our offensive cast to a tee given their individual and collective prowess in the air as Manny's renowned GOAT-ish level Bananenflanken will add an extra wrinkle to our team composition:
Kaltz was famous for his right-footed crosses, which he hit with so much spin that they curved like a banana. They were affectionately called "Bananenflanken" ("banana crosses"). He often used this technique to set up hulking striker Horst Hrubesch, whose 96 goals with HSV included many from Kaltz crosses that Hrubesch headed into the opposing goal. Hrubesch once described their partnership when he explained one of his goals with the often quoted words "Manni banana, I head, goal".
Patrolling the defensive midfield third is Two Time World Champion, Zito - a precursor to the likes of Makelélé in the post-modern era, Zito was a renowned midfield organizer - with a knack for being in the right place at the right time to mitigate danger as the defensive pivot for Brazil's attacking behemoth as well as Santos' nigh all-conquering '60s team (which is considered by many to be one of the greatest club teams of all time). Pretty much the ideal building block as holding/defensive midfielder for our setup. To the left of him is arguably the finest left-half in football history and the first Eastern European Ballon D'Or winner, Josef Masopust - a dominant force in his half of the field, he will play a big part in our build-up play with his strength in possession, drag markers slightly wider towards his favorite inside and outside left channels (thus providing auxiliary width), and link up with the forwards with his ability to go on surging runs. On the right is the foundation of Benfica's legendary Golden Team of the '50s and '60s - Mário Coluna. Dubbed the The Sacred Monster, he reprises his midfield general role with an enviable blend of directness, physicality, tenacity and technical ability - which makes him a formidable presence in the engine room as a true box-to-box player. On the ball, he'd primarily look to service the forwards with his passing skills and also occasionally mix it up with a dribble to the right of Rivera, a rampaging run forward or a cracker from outside the box. Defensively, he'll put his physicality and dynamism to good use. All in all, a wonderful and direct complement to the styles of Rivera, Zito and Masopust.
Mario Coluna was one of the world's most influential and comprehensively gifted midfielders throughout the 1960s, majestically bestriding the European football scene as captain of Benfica and Portugal, operating for both club and country as the ideal foil for the revered Eusebio, his fellow Mozambican, who died in January. Though he was not a tall man, the muscular Coluna exuded an aura of effortless command, combining formidable physical authority with an elegant style and delightfully subtle skills which seemed somehow unexpected in one so powerful.

Coluna's greatest strength was that he possessed a rare blend of physique, technique and tactical nous. In addition to its flexibility and its capabilities, it was also the psychological factor that made him a fundamental part of his team. At a time of hard fouls, personal watchdogs, casual referee (especially abroad) and with no video evidence it was Coluna who usually protectively stood before his teammates.

He should have said, inter alia, to opponents by fouls, "when you touch the boy again, then you will leave the place with a foot the other kissing". He also motivated his teammates, divided them and commanded them around - without ever receiving authority problems. Just as he created goals forward, he prevented behind goals - subtle yet powerful. Defensive he was very good, used his physical strength not only in combat, but large areas to control, situational to double and intercept many passes dynamically. Here he showed what could create good positional play together with good physique.

His physique and defensive work deceived occasionally over it, that it was Coluna who was also responsible for the style of play and creativity in his team. In symbiosis with his team relevant vein and his protectiveness Coluna was one of the first football player who was too good for any task and its individual input looked into play as part of a collective output. He might even resemble the other great star of the 50s, Alfredo Di Stefano, more than Brazil's Didi - although Coluna was never so pressing and present. He was too much Senhor Coluna.
Spearheading the attack is one of the most clinical and brutal classic strikers of all time, record 5 time Serie A Top Scorer as Capocannoniere, the most efficient goalscorer in Serie A ever with 0.77 goals/match, and the highest scorer for Milan to date - Gunnar Nordahl. A behemoth in the opposition box, naturally athletic and quick despite his imposing frame - boasting devastating power and aerial dominance, Nordahl will stretch the field and look to unsettle the defense. In the attacking midfield role is Gianni Rivera, The Golden Boy - a sumptuous playmaker with tons of flair and skill, precise passing, great vision and a good shot. Surrounded by hard working and technical players, Rivera will be in his elements as a pristine creator of goalscoring opportunities for others around him:
Though he wasn't a rough player, it would be a mistake to say he wasn't gritty and played with supreme intelligence and creative flamboyance. His vision for passing was immaculate; he created room for himself and provided high-percentage assists. His midfield dominance was not one warranted by an intimidating presence, but more so by his tactical and technical brilliance, of which there are few parallels.

Italy - Player of the Century
European election.

1.Gianni Rivera 113
2.Giuseppe Meazza 90
3.Giacinto Facchetti 79
4.Franco Baresi 66
5.Sandro Mazzola 53
6.Silvio Piola 46
7.Paolo Rossi 27
8.Luigi Riva 26
9.Roberto Baggio 21
10.Gaetano Scirea 19

And in a free second striker role akin to his peak is The King of Football, Edson Arantes do Nascimento aka Pelé - scorer of 1,281 goals in 1,363 games during his career who has the license to pretty much do what his heart desires as a dazzler in attack, because that would be the best role for him, in our opinion.
“The greatest player in history was Di Stéfano. I refuse to classify Pelé as a player. He was above that.” — Ferenc Puskás

“We went up together to head a ball. I was taller, had a better impulse. When I came back down, I looked up in astonishment. Pelé was still there, in the air, heading that ball. It was like he could stay suspended for as long as he wanted to.” — Giacinto Facchetti

“There's Pelé the man, and then Pelé the player. And to play like Pelé is to play like God.” — Michel Platini

“Pelé was the only footballer who surpassed the boundaries of logic.” — Johan Cruyff
Tactics Pat_Mustard

Formation: Counterattacking 5-3-2

We change shape to a 5-3-2 for this match, with our new signings Ruud Krol and Guido Buchwald slotting into the defence at LWB and RCB respectively. The formation looks a good tactical fit against this particular opposition. Assuming they stick with their 4-3-1-2 from their last match, we'll have two supremely capable markers in Buchwald and Forster picking up their two strikers, with Zmuda as the spare man and defensive organiser. Voronin and Bonhof are the disciplined, robust ball-winners in what looks to be quite a crowded midfield area, and both have ample quality in transition too.

Krol and Dani Alves are an outstanding pair of wide men, and Alves looks poised to have a good game, with the opposition's narrow-ish left side leaving him relatively comfortable defensively, and the protection of the 5-3-2 formation giving him ample scope to charge forward when we're in possession. As ever, Ro/Ro are the crown jewels of this team. We expect Ronaldo to forage out wide in search of openings, and look to exploit the space behind the opposition full backs. As good as Figueroa/Chumpitaz are, Ronaldo charging at them at full throttle with Romario in support is a nightmarish prospect for any defence.

Indnyc

I’ll get the ball rolling with comments. It’s two evenly matched sides with incredibly strong personalities across the pitch. The midfield battle is key as it super congested with both teams having numbers there.

Interesting to see how the Alves and Junior battle play out. Junior was known to cut inside a lot more and Alves will cause problems and stretch the play.

On the other wing i wonder how much Krol will be able to attack with the crosses from Kaltz to Nordahl needing to be blocked

I have voted for @Pat_Mustard for now but subject to changed based on discussions

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The midfield battle is key as it super congested with both teams having numbers there.
Wrt. the midfield battle, I reckon we have a clear and significant edge - and hope it's a sentiment shared by others as well - instead of just being swept under the rug as congested and numbers vs. numbers. First up - there's the two Ballon D'Or winners in Rivera and Masopust - who're hands down the best midfielders on the pitch.

Individual Accomplishments:

Ballon D'Or: 1969, runner up 1963
FIFA XI: 1967
Serie A Top Scorer: 1973
UEFA Golden Jubilee Poll: #35
IFFHS World Player of the Century: #19
IFFHS Italian Player of the Century: #1
Coppa Italia Top Scorer: 1967, 1971

Team Accomplishments:

European Cup: 1963, 1969
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1968, 1973
Intercontinental Cup: 1969
Serie A: 1962, 1968, 1979
Coppa Italia: 1967, 1972, 1973, 1977

Gianni Rivera is a man fondly remembered as the 'Golden Boy' of Italian football, the captain of AC Milan for 12 seasons, rated 1st in the Italian Player of the Century poll, and 9th in the European Player of the Century poll, 1 spot behind George Best - one of the most technically gifted, cunning, perceptive attackers in football history. His exploits on the European Cup stage are legendary, starting with Milan's defeat of Eusébio's Benfica, where the 19 year old provided 2 assists and finished 2nd in the Ballon D'Or, taking the continent by storm:

And extending to Milan's dismantling of young Cruyff's Ajax, where Rivera was at the heart of almost every attacking move, setting up innumerable chances for his team-mates, eventually winning the Ballon D'Or:

Not just a grand orchestrator of attack, Rivera peaked as a lethal convertor, ending up as the Serie A Top scorer in 1973:

JOSEF MASOPUST

Czechoslovak First League: 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966
Czechoslovak Cup: 1961, 1965, 1966
International Soccer League: 1961
American Challenge Cup: 1962, 1963, 1964
1960 European Nations' Cup: Third Place
1962 FIFA World Cup: Runners-Up
Ballon d'Or: 1962
European Nations' Cup Team of the Tournament: 1960
FIFA World Cup Silver Ball: 1962[8]
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1962
World Soccer World XI: 1962, 1964[9]
Czechoslovak Footballer of the Year: 1966
UEFA Czech Golden Player: 2003[8]
FIFA 100

Josef Masopust is revered by Czechs as their greatest football player, and the only one to have been voted European Footballer of the Year aside from Pavel Nedvěd; he won the award in 1962 as his exploits in the 1962 World Cup tournament helped him become the first player from Eastern Europe to win the prestigious Ballon d'Or as Europe's finest player in 1962. Over hiss career, Masopust played as a left half and by the time of the 1962 World Cup, he had moved to the centre half position. A workhorse of his team aside from obvious attacking capabilities, he had excellent ball control, which he utilised for both recovering the ball in defense and dribbling past opponents. Overall, Masopust was an excellent passer of the ball - while anticipating his opponents' actions and intercepting their passes in the defensive phase.

And then there's Coluna - who's oftentimes underrated in these drafts, despite being the biggest factor for a Benfica team that left a mark on European football, with Eusébio:

via. @Joga Bonito

Leidy Klotz said:
Coluna didn't score as many goals as Eusebio. Instead Coluna disrupted opponents. He made his teammates better - whether in games, in practise or in the locker room. So, while the Sacred Monster's contributions were less obvious than the Black Panther's, they were just as vital. Benfica missed out on three consecutive European Championships when Coluna was injured by a bad foul from an AC Milan player in the 1963 final. Incredibly, the rules then did not allow any substitutions, even for injuries caused by fouls. So not only did Benfica lose Coluna - they also had to play ten versus eleven for the rest of the game
Miguel Delaney said:
Because of the nature of his game and the number of goals he scored, it has always been Eusebio that has been most identified with the great Benfica team of the ’60s. But, in truth, it was Coluna that completely underpinned it.

For a start, Eusebio wasn’t even at the club for the first European Cup victory in 1961. Second, he had scored game-changing goals in both that and the 1962 showpiece. To finish, Benfica probably would have won three in a row had it not been for the cynical manner that Milan specifically took Coluna out of the game in the 1963 final when there were no subs.

Had that not been the case, then Coluna might enjoy an even greater reputation now. Certainly, he deserves to. A contemporary of Nandor Hidegkuti, Raymond Kopa and Didi, manager Bela Guttmann realised that Coluna’s abilities were perfectly suited to the new playmaker role that recently proven so devastating.

And, more importantly, Coluna was fully willing to assume the responsibility. In a truly dynamic team, it was Coluna that directed the play, Coluna that drove in so many crucial long-range shots and Coluna that set up Eusebio so frequently.

They eventually took that relationship to the international stage, bringing Portugal to the 1966 World Cup semi-final and their best ever performance in the competition. As Brian Glanville wrote, Coluna was “an inspired and inspirational captain”.

All of the midfielders were regular features in the World XI as well:

https://beyondthelastman.com/2013/04/29/eric-battys-world-xis-the-sixties/

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Again some interesting and unexpected upgrades from R/I, I wouldn't have traded Vidal for Coluna for their team personally (with Rivera, Masopust and Pele already playmaking, and Zito being a passing DM too), even though I rate Coluna higher. Plus I would've traded Chumpitaz and not Scirea, but I can't deny that in the end their CB pairing looks brilliant.

Enigma_87

You know who
Again some interesting and unexpected upgrades from R/I, I wouldn't have traded Vidal for Coluna for their team personally (with Rivera, Masopust and Pele already playmaking, and Zito being a passing DM too), even though I rate Coluna higher. Plus I would've traded Chumpitaz and not Scirea, but I can't deny that in the end their CB pairing looks brilliant.
Agree on the first part. They wanted some aerial presence tho so swapping Scirea for Figueroa makes sense.

Interestingly enough I think they've got Chumpitaz - Scirea last time round in case they face Ro-Ro and after they've broke that partnership they got to face them now. :lol:

idmanager

Plus I would've traded Chumpitaz and not Scirea, but I can't deny that in the end their CB pairing looks brilliant.
Why? Chumpitaz is perfect for a Ronaldo/Romario-esque player.
I can't think of too many better well rounded compatible pairs over history that can triumph that pair.

harms

Staff
I can't think of too many better well rounded compatible pairs over history that can triumph that pair.
Because I rate Scirea much higher and I'm not the biggest Chumpitaz fan to be honest. With Figueroa everyone looks great though

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I agree re Chumpitaz. You want a more rugged quick defender than Scriea to deal with Ro-Ro unless you're going a back five.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Because I rate Scirea much higher and I'm not the biggest Chumpitaz fan to be honest. With Figueroa everyone looks great though
Who would you have as an all-time CB pairing up against Ro-Ro? I'd definitely have Figueroa it's just a question of who with.

Enigma_87

You know who
Who would you have as an all-time CB pairing up against Ro-Ro? I'd definitely have Figueroa it's just a question of who with.
I'd probably go with either of these combinations:
Baresi/Figueroa
Beckenbauer/Figueroa
Baresi/Maldini
Beckenbauer/Maldini

Then Nesta, Sammer, Krol and Kohler.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'd probably go with either of these combinations:
Baresi/Figueroa
Beckenbauer/Figueroa
Baresi/Maldini
Beckenbauer/Maldini

Then Nesta, Sammer, Krol and Kohler.
Interesting. I thought you'd go for a quicker more physical defender. I would have probably have go with Figueroa and Kohler, possibly even Stam over Kohler for extra pace. Maldini though is a good shout, good physicality and all-round game. On those lines Figueroa and Thuram would be good too. Thinking more about it though Figueroa and Maldini would be my preferred option

Enigma_87

You know who
Interesting. I thought you'd go for a quicker more physical defender. I would have probably have go with Figueroa and Kohler, possibly even Stam over Kohler for extra pace. Maldini though is a good shout, good physicality and all-round game. On those lines Figueroa and Thuram would be good too. Thinking more about it though Figueroa and Maldini would be my preferred option
Going by the 94 WC I'd probably have a more complete defender who won't follow either of them around but stand his ground. If we aren't man marking them a good reader of the game is a must.

I'd probably go with a conventional sweeper/marker combo as when one of the duo drops into channel the other one would hover around the box - hence a great reader could intercept the pass before he gets to the ball.

Kohler was pretty nimble and quick, but also his superlative defensive credentials makes him a better fit for either of them rather than Thuram and Stam besides the pace.

Maldini/Baresi did great to completely neutralize Romario in that WC. Sure both of them is a different picture but then defending as a unit and two solid defensively full backs who can tuck in would also be a good option - or a DM and one defensive full back.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Going by the 94 WC I'd probably have a more complete defender who won't follow either of them around but stand his ground. If we aren't man marking them a good reader of the game is a must.

I'd probably go with a conventional sweeper/marker combo as when one of the duo drops into channel the other one would hover around the box - hence a great reader could intercept the pass before he gets to the ball.

Kohler was pretty nimble and quick, but also his superlative defensive credentials makes him a better fit for either of them rather than Thuram and Stam besides the pace.

Maldini/Baresi did great to completely neutralize Romario in that WC. Sure both of them is a different picture but then defending as a unit and two solid defensively full backs who can tuck in would also be a good option - or a DM and one defensive full back.
Completely forgot about Baresi vs Romario in WC 94. I was just going off their qualities in the abstract.

harms

Staff
Baresi is the first name without a question — I guess paired with Figueroa/Nesta/Thuram

edit: scratch that, Nesta vs Ronaldo :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Can't see it getting much recognition, but I love Pat's back line. The defensive instincts there are off the charts.

Agree with this. Chumpitaz has the power on the ground, the dynamism and the low centre of gravity to match up well to both players.

Indnyc

Wrt. the midfield battle, I reckon we have a clear and significant edge - and hope it's a sentiment shared by others as well - instead of just being swept under the rug as congested and numbers vs. numbers. First up - there's the two Ballon D'Or winners in Rivera and Masopust - who're hands down the best midfielders on the pitch.

Individual Accomplishments:

Ballon D'Or: 1969, runner up 1963
FIFA XI: 1967
Serie A Top Scorer: 1973
UEFA Golden Jubilee Poll: #35
IFFHS World Player of the Century: #19
IFFHS Italian Player of the Century: #1
Coppa Italia Top Scorer: 1967, 1971

Team Accomplishments:

European Cup: 1963, 1969
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1968, 1973
Intercontinental Cup: 1969
Serie A: 1962, 1968, 1979
Coppa Italia: 1967, 1972, 1973, 1977

Gianni Rivera is a man fondly remembered as the 'Golden Boy' of Italian football, the captain of AC Milan for 12 seasons, rated 1st in the Italian Player of the Century poll, and 9th in the European Player of the Century poll, 1 spot behind George Best - one of the most technically gifted, cunning, perceptive attackers in football history. His exploits on the European Cup stage are legendary, starting with Milan's defeat of Eusébio's Benfica, where the 19 year old provided 2 assists and finished 2nd in the Ballon D'Or, taking the continent by storm:

And extending to Milan's dismantling of young Cruyff's Ajax, where Rivera was at the heart of almost every attacking move, setting up innumerable chances for his team-mates, eventually winning the Ballon D'Or:

Not just a grand orchestrator of attack, Rivera peaked as a lethal convertor, ending up as the Serie A Top scorer in 1973:

JOSEF MASOPUST

Czechoslovak First League: 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966
Czechoslovak Cup: 1961, 1965, 1966
International Soccer League: 1961
American Challenge Cup: 1962, 1963, 1964
1960 European Nations' Cup: Third Place
1962 FIFA World Cup: Runners-Up
Ballon d'Or: 1962
European Nations' Cup Team of the Tournament: 1960
FIFA World Cup Silver Ball: 1962[8]
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1962
World Soccer World XI: 1962, 1964[9]
Czechoslovak Footballer of the Year: 1966
UEFA Czech Golden Player: 2003[8]
FIFA 100

Josef Masopust is revered by Czechs as their greatest football player, and the only one to have been voted European Footballer of the Year aside from Pavel Nedvěd; he won the award in 1962 as his exploits in the 1962 World Cup tournament helped him become the first player from Eastern Europe to win the prestigious Ballon d'Or as Europe's finest player in 1962. Over hiss career, Masopust played as a left half and by the time of the 1962 World Cup, he had moved to the centre half position. A workhorse of his team aside from obvious attacking capabilities, he had excellent ball control, which he utilised for both recovering the ball in defense and dribbling past opponents. Overall, Masopust was an excellent passer of the ball - while anticipating his opponents' actions and intercepting their passes in the defensive phase.

And then there's Coluna - who's oftentimes underrated in these drafts, despite being the biggest factor for a Benfica team that left a mark on European football, with Eusébio:

via. @Joga Bonito

All of the midfielders were regular features in the World XI as well:

https://beyondthelastman.com/2013/04/29/eric-battys-world-xis-the-sixties/
The point still stands though.. You are going to have Masopust, Coluna, Rivera and Zito against Voronin, Bonhof and Stojkovic all playing fairly centrally which would mean there is limited space in the center. Which is why i raised a point that Alves will have a good game to exploit the width

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Can't see it getting much recognition, but I love Pat's back line. The defensive instincts there are off the charts.
Cheers Gio. I'm very happy with both the balance (a brilliant organiser and specialist sweeper flanked by two rugged markers) and the fit for the task at hand. There's a danger of being overwhelmed by the sheer physicality of that Nordahl/Pele pair but my trio are particularly tough and robust, as well as being highly intelligent defenders.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Krol of all people :lol:. Hands down one of the best defenders of all-time, and versatile enough to operate all across the backline too.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I’ll get the ball rolling with comments. It’s two evenly matched sides with incredibly strong personalities across the pitch. The midfield battle is key as it super congested with both teams having numbers there.

Interesting to see how the Alves and Junior battle play out. Junior was known to cut inside a lot more and Alves will cause problems and stretch the play.

On the other wing i wonder how much Krol will be able to attack with the crosses from Kaltz to Nordahl needing to be blocked

I have voted for @Pat_Mustard for now but subject to changed based on discussions
The Krol/Kaltz match up down that wing is quite interesting. Krol is clearly the better player overall IMO, but neither has to hit the byline to threaten with their crosses as they're tremendous passers/crossers from deeper areas.

That's a good point on Junior's propensity to cut infield in possession, and it plays into where I feel I have a tactical advantage. Raees/Invictus have a supremely gifted batch of attackers but Kaltz aside, it's all likely to be rather centrally-orientated, and I've assembled a very compact and sturdy defensive unit to deal with that, with the 3 man central defence and Voronin/Bonhof shielding. In contrast. a two CB formation versus Ronaldo and Romario looks less secure, even with their undoubted quality.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The lack relative narrowness of Raees/Invictus vs the 352 reminds me to some extent of the group game between Italy and Spain in Euro 2012 - I believe that was a draw. When Italy went diamond in the final, it liberated Spains full backs and got tonked.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I've said it before and apparently I will have to say it again. Junior is not some always cut inside who can never provide an outside threat robot. He offers just as much outside threat as Krol IMO.

I see Krol spending just as much time in the center in this match for example as people's perception of Junior. To me Krol has just as much a "propensity to cut inside in posession" as Junior - not that is even a negative either. No idea why suddenly this is perceived as some massive negative but Krol is just as guilty as Junior if so:

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I've said it before and apparently I will have to say it again. Junior is not some always cut inside who can never provide an outside threat robot. He offers just as much outside threat as Krol IMO. Neither side has the mysterious "width advantage".
You'd think Alves and Krol would have more freedom going forward than Kaltz and Junior with three at the back with two in front of them. It's not having Matthews and Gento but I think it's fair to say has more width going forward even taking into account Masopust

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You'd think Alves and Krol would have more freedom going forward than Kaltz and Junior with three at the back with two in front of them. It's not having Matthews and Gento but I think it's fair to say has more width going forward even taking into account Masopust
Except as the video I posted shows, running down the touchline and crossing at the corner flag isn't Krol's game any more than its Junior's. I simply don't see width being a relevant factor in this match at all as neither side as any advantage there.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The lack relative narrowness of Raees/Invictus vs the 352 reminds me to some extent of the group game between Italy and Spain in Euro 2012 - I believe that was a draw. When Italy went diamond in the final, it liberated Spains full backs and got tonked.
To be fair, Kaltz was the more offensive member of West Germany's Back 5 in the '70s and '80s - with Briegel being a bit more balanced on this other flank:

And like @oneniltothearsenal pointed out, Júnior certainly has the individual skill set to bomb forward when given the license - he's not one to tuck in by default. It's not narrow by any means - especially when you consider that both Masopust and Coluna would frequently drift wider at their peak. Don't quite see how that's comparable to Spain vs. Italy where you had Chiellini (a much more reserved fullback than Júnior on one side) and Abate on the other. Plus, Spain dominated possession almost from start to finish - which enabled them to maximize their advantage - something I don't expect Stojković, Bonhof and Voronin to do vs. the quartet of Rivera, Coluna, Masopust and Zito.

Plus, Krol wasn't a stereotypical wing back - but a balanced leftback in a totaalvoetbal team where he shifted to central defense or even midfield. This isn't as clear-cut as having a Brehme/Carlos/Facchetti figure out wide as regards maintaining width.

Indnyc

I've said it before and apparently I will have to say it again. Junior is not some always cut inside who can never provide an outside threat robot. He offers just as much outside threat as Krol IMO.

I see Krol spending just as much time in the center in this match for example as people's perception of Junior. To me Krol has just as much a "propensity to cut inside in posession" as Junior - not that is even a negative either. No idea why suddenly this is perceived as some massive negative but Krol is just as guilty as Junior if so:

I would like to clarify my point was not to berate Junior or say that he always drifts in. It was more to say that Alves on that side has a lot of freedom to provide width. With regards to Junior, he is an excellent left back and playmaker and in his prime he did drift inside when required but that’s not his only role. I apologize if my comment sounded like I was discounting his abilities as a left back

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This Junior always drifting in has become a redcafe draft fable now.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
To be fair, Kaltz was the more offensive member of West Germany's Back 5 in the '70s and '80s - with Briegel being a bit more balanced on this other flank:

And like @oneniltothearsenal pointed out, Júnior certainly has the individual skill set to bomb forward when given the license - he's not one to tuck in by default. It's not narrow by any means - especially when you consider that both Masopust and Coluna would frequently drift wider at their peak. Don't quite see how that's comparable to Spain vs. Italy where you had Chiellini (a much more reserved fullback than Júnior on one side) and Abate on the other. Plus, Spain dominated possession almost from start to finish - which enabled them to maximize their advantage - something I don't expect Stojković, Bonhof and Voronin to do vs. the quartet of Rivera, Coluna, Masopust and Zito.

Plus, Krol wasn't a stereotypical wing back - but a balanced leftback in a totaalvoetbal team where he shifted to central defense or even midfield. This isn't as clear-cut as having a Brehme/Carlos/Facchetti figure out wide as regards maintaining width.
But as your line-up shows Kaltz was in a back 5 there which is my main point about Pat, not that Junior couldn't provide width just that Krol as a better platform to achieve it, whether he will or not is another question.

In regards Spain and Italy, I was saying you were more like Spain, narrow formation with attacking full-backs (you are though much more direct) with Pat as Italy. In the group stage Italy held Spain off because they played 5 at the back which stopped Spain's full-backs from bombing on making Spain's attack very narrow and blunted it. I can see Pat doing the same and Ro-Ro could be a nightmare on the counter

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I would like to clarify my point was not to berate Junior or say that he always drifts in. It was more to say that Alves on that side has a lot of freedom to provide width. With regards to Junior, he is an excellent left back and playmaker and in his prime he did drift inside when required but that’s not his only role. I apologize if my comment sounded like I was discounting his abilities as a left back
No need to apologize, its just a general theme I've seen for Junior more recently. In this match especially it seems really odd to highlight because both sides have the same type of pairing as Krol has the same tendencies as Junior as a LB.

To me the Kaltz vs. Krol battle is very similair to Junior vs. Alves in that respect in that Krol has the same cut inside in possession tendencies as Junior so neither side has an advantage out wide.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
But as your line-up shows Kaltz was in a back 5 there which is my main point about Pat, not that Junior couldn't provide width just that Krol as a better platform to achieve it, whether he will or not is another question.
Reckon this platform argument is a bit of a red herring, TBH. The opposition has an extra man in defense, but we have two midfielders on the inside channel - as well as one of the most cerebral holding midfielders as regards positioning in Zito - stationed in front of the central defenders - so is there really a big difference between the respective platforms they'll have? All things considered - the battle in wider areas is more likely to end up as a stalemate.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No need to apologize, its just a general theme I've seen for Junior more recently. In this match especially it seems really odd to highlight because both sides have the same type of pairing as Krol has the same tendencies as Junior as a LB.

To me the Kaltz vs. Krol battle is very similair to Junior vs. Alves in that respect in that Krol has the same cut inside in possession tendencies as Junior so neither side has an advantage out wide.
Agree with these points. Although I would say that the extra defender for Pat allows his wing-backs to get higher up the park which should give them the territorial dominance.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Reckon this platform argument is a bit of a red herring, TBH. The opposition has an extra man in defense, but we have two midfielders on the inside channel - as well as one of the most cerebral holding midfielders as regards positioning in Zito - stationed in front of the central defenders - so is there really a big difference between the respective platforms they'll have? All things considered - the battle in wider areas is more likely to end up as a stalemate.
True, it depends on how much in particular Coluna will protect to allow Kaltz forward. It's not a major point but I do think Pat edges it here. The most important aspect though is I reckon Pat can narrow the pitch and hold you off enough for Ro-Ro to be a big problem on the counter.

Pat_Mustard

I don't think I've tried to sell Krol as a prolific overlapper at any stage, but rather pointed out Junior's stylistic tendency to cut into midfield very early. It's not even a criticism of him as a footballer, but it does suit me better than facing a LB who will regularly hit the byline and stretch my compact and well-manned central defensive unit, and target Dani Alves specifically. Now I'm assessing Junior at LB largely based on some Brazil matches, so maybe he played differently for Flamengo?

And for all that I'm not trying to paint Krol as Roberto Carlos stylistically, he did often attack down the left wing, often only cutting in on his right foot when he hit the final third. A match compilation against Bayern:

Peach of a goal for Ajax:

And another vs Utd:

Gorgeous cross from 0:20 here:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
True, it depends on how much in particular Coluna will protect to allow Kaltz forward. It's not a major point but I do think Pat edges it here. The most important aspect though is I reckon Pat can narrow the pitch and hold you off enough for Ro-Ro to be a big problem on the counter.
That's fair, and maybe the hypothetical match will play out that way, who knows. But I do think the potency of Nordahl-Pelé-Rivera is being discounted with the narrative that a narrowed pitch will allow the opposition to hold us off. Zmuda sitting deeper in defense as an extra man means that one of Rivera/Coluna/Masopust will be free on a frequent basis because Vorinin and Bonhof can't possibly pay close attention to all three at once - and all three had the wherewithal to unlock the defense or feed Nordahl and Pelé. That's the beauty of a diamond vs. a midfield 3 - especially given Rivera's ability to roam and instigate reactive counters of our own in tandem with the strike duo — that was an area of expertise for him:

In the Match of the Century vs Beckenbauer, Müller, Schnellinger, Maier, Vogts and co.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
'DON' ELIAS - A PORTRAIT OF DEFENSIVE PERFECTION

In the days before their debut at the 1962 FIFA World Cup Chile™, Brazil had several training games against a young Santiago Wanderers side from Valparaiso, a seaport barely 10km from their base in Vina del Mar, where they were due to play Mexico in their opening game. During these sessions, one young Chilean stood out and left a lasting impression on Pele and Co – no mean feat, given that A Seleção had won the world title four years earlier in Sweden and would retain it just a few weeks later.
Figueroa is the best Chilean player of all time, and probably the finest central defender in the history of football in the Americas - Pele
When compiling an all time list, the following names are generally considered as the top 5 central defenders.. Scirea, Beckenbauer, Moore, Baresi and the man who is the subject of this article. A common theme amongst all these great defenders is the superlative ability to play from the back allied with powers of defensive anticipation that Gary Kasparov would struggle to best. What differentiated Figueroa from Scirea and the Kaizer was that first and foremost, he was a 'defenders' defender and when compared to the likes of Baresi and Moore, his imposing physicality enabled him to stake the superior claim to being the most complete defensive asset to ever play the game.

So what made him such a complete defensive artist? a colossus who could be relied on to play in any system, paired up with any type of colleague (big or small, aggressive or sweeper) against any type or tier of opponent and still be relied on to come up trumps?

SHEER ATHLETICISM

• Scirea - 5ft 10
  • Beckenbauer - 5ft 11
  • Moore - 5ft 10
  • Baresi - 5ft 9
  • Figueroa - 6ft 1
  • Nesta - 6ft 2
  • Vidic/Ferdinand - 6ft 3
Now Figueroa might not be the tallest CB in history, but he was far taller than his GOAT rivals and for his era, a big presence at the back being only a few inches shorter than modern day powerhouses such as Nemanja Vidic. What made him stand out though, was that he was still super nimble - not too rangy - and thus able to turn on a sixpence against the most elusive of attackers and pretty stocky for a tall man.. well built herculean thighs, muscular arms and a rugged upper body - perfect for any shoulder to shoulder confrontations, holding his own in aerial challenges and able to respond explosively to any danger.

This athleticism allowed him to get to the ball faster than the on-rushing attacker, make blocks he had no right to make from out of nowhere and famously, he would spectacularly make over-head kick clearances and just move in a way which you wouldn't expect of a 6ft 1 defender. He moved as gracefully as a top midfielder but not just on the ball, it is important that we recognise this elegance of movement, this suppleness he had was utilised just as brilliantly in a pure defensive sense. Most defenders are big, static but here was a guy moving like a Baresi but in a huge frame.. that is scary.

DEFENSIVE RESPONSIBILITIES - MIXTURE OF SILK AND STEEL

It takes a rare breed of defender who enjoys and more importantly excels at both the covering, elegant type of defending where you deal with one v one defending on the ground against the opponents most skilful lithe attackers, giving yourself an extra yard of space to anticipate the knock downs and act accordingly versus being in the heat of the physical battle, going in for aerial challenges from long punts forward and defending aggressively against the opponents big burly target men, administering the dark arts if need be.

In Britain, we have had players like Paul McGrath and possibly Sol Campbell who were blessed with brain and brawn and in the european game, Nesta was a fine modern example of a defender equally capable of being stopper or sweeper depending on the type of opponent he was facing. None of these players came close to the completeness Figueroa was able to showcase in his defending.

He was a great covering defender, due to his excellent reading of the game which was honed from facing some of the most outrageous attackers the game has seen, plying his trade in South America in countries such as Uruguay and Brazil during the era spanning the likes of Pele, to the rise of players like Zico. What truly made him stand out as a 'covering' defender, was his eerily calm demeanour.. genuinely the coolest centre-back I have ever seen. Reminiscent of Rio Ferdinand actually, or Moore who also shared this exceptional ability to make time even in what is a very dangerous situation with a world-class attacker bearing in on your goal and yet Figueroa gave off the air of a man who had it all in hand and would then go out to resolve the latest problem thrown at him with consummate ease. That calmness of mind, always allowed him to pick the right solution to the latest problem.

This video above is fantastic and basically encapsulates what is written in this article. For glimpses of Figueroa's aerial prowess and his 'stopper' game, skip to 3.26. He was a ferocious header of the ball.. combining great leap, timing, positioning but most importantly fearlessness. If there is one quality you associate with the best defensive headers.. guys like Vidic for example, its that ability to put your head where it hurts without a moments hesitation and Figueroa had that. This is what separates him from the other defensive maestro's.. and unlike Baresi who was also fearless, Figueroa's height and leap enabled him to maximise this fearlessness to great affect and dominate any type of 9 even someone like Gerd Muller, a GOAT level header of the ball. Another key trait of his aerial game was the ability to stay composed and ensure any headers were pushed away from danger areas and you can almost see him calculate each header to perfection to ensure it doesn't lead to another attack straight away.

FLAMBOYANCE - TURNING DEFENCE INTO ATTACK

Now this wasn't a trait which was exclusive to the Don, but his iconic way of defending caught on to the rest of the world and he was an inspiration to Beckenbauer who stated:

“I'm the European Figueroa"
Now it is important to remember that Kaizer was a world class CM for most of his career before converting into a defender, which meant he was able to take that flamboyance shown in defence to a whole new level but Figueroa who was arguably the superior defender was nevertheless a flair player too and his ability to bring a long ball down with a Ronaldinho-esque chest down, or juggling the ball in the air and turning attackers inside out, by faking passing back to the keeper became iconic. He made defending look like art, and entertainment. A pioneer without which we might not have seen Beckenbauer drop so back or guys like Scirea come to the fore.

Once he won the ball, he had already thought about how he was going to use it. He was unafraid of holding on to it until a long through ball was available, or he would see space open up and carry the ball straight through. It was all revolutionary and he was the first south american since Domingos Da Guia to really capture the imagination despite being a defender.

LEADERSHIP/ORGANISATION/CONCENTRATION

Perhaps the game which is oft used to illustrate Figueroa's complete mastery of his team's backline is the 1974 performance against the eventual World Cup winners 1974. Courtesy of @harms he demonstrated resilience, and a level of concentration which has gone down in the annals of history. What made his leadership particularly effective is that he was able to show he can fight better than anyone in the trenches and do the ugly side of defending, whilst also showing he was a class above by doing the pretty side of defending - sweeping up broken attacks, and majestically playing it out of defence. A defensive diamond.

Outside of that game, his consistency can be evidenced through his track record and sustained success both in Uruguay and then later Brazil.

He won the Uruguayan Championship with the club in 1967, 1968 and 1969, and was elected the best player in the Uruguayan Championship in 1967 and 1968. This was followed by a spell in Brazil where he played a key role in winning the Brazilian championship in 1975 and 1976, and also winning five Campeonato Gaúcho Championships with the team; in 1974, the club won all of their 18 games to claim the title. Elias Figueroa was the central figure of the team, and is well remembered by the club's fans for his famous "Illuminated goal" in the club's victory over Cruzeiro in the 1975 "Brasileirao" final.

He was elected the Brazilian league's best central defender during the 1973, 1974, 1975 and 1976 seasons, winning the Bola de Prata, and was voted the Brazilian League's Player of the Year in 1975 and 1976, winning the Bola de Ouro Award. He won further acclaim when he succeeded Pelé in being named the South American Footballer of the Year in 1974, 1975 and 1976, fighting off competition from several other world class South American footballers, such as his teammate Falcão, as well as Rivelino, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto Torres, Zico, Nelinho, Marinho Chagas, Teófilo Cubillas, Héctor Chumpitaz, Mario Kempes, Roberto Perfumo, and Daniel Passarella.

CONCLUSION

It is rare that you get the complete defensive package in football. A perfect blend of brain and brawns is the holy grail of defending, but Figueroa was the greatest example of such a defender in the history of the game. In a way he was rather reminiscent of Pele, in that yes he was so damn good at every aspect of the defensive game, and gifted on the ball but allied to his athletic prowess.. it made him come across god-like, perfect and unsurpassed.

Pat_Mustard

Time for a late spam-fest, starting with Joga's superb work on Voronin:

It's very rare to see a player play a deep playmaking role, using his tactical nous and positioning and covering ability to great effect in one match, and then go on to deliver an immense man-marking display completely nullifying one of the tournament's in-form players in Florian Albert, (well it was the other way around but I made that semi-final performance video first, so let's stick with that narrative) but that was precisely what Valery Voronin was capable of - a two way player with potent creative faculties and a formidable destructive streak.

Just finished man-marking one of the players of the tournaments in Florian Albert and playing against the likes of Beckenbauer-Overath-Seeler-Haller? Well up you go against freaking Eusebio, in his 1966 WC form, next then.

(Video quality at the start is poor but I just used those excerpts for the English commentary by Wolstenholme, iirc.

The actual compilation quality is much better, so stick with it.)

We've seen man-marking displays from the likes of Bergomi, Gentile, Stiles and other more 'rugged' players but it's hard to think of more pure and 'clean' man-marking displays than those displayed by Voronin against Albert and Eusebio. Quite something, being the most creative talisman of your side and also simultaneously being the most formidable man-marking presence. If one really wants to appreciate those displays, it'd be better if they watch those matches in full as there were a lot of positional plays (putting pressure in the right areas, preventing Albert/Eusebio from turning and forcing them into simple back passes etc) that I couldn't put inside the video. Far too often we've had the debate about who'd be the ideal holding midfielder (not named Rijkaard) who would be ideally suited to upgrade Busquets in the tiki-taka system or any other system which demands a ball-playing yet defensive resolute and positionally disciplined DM, Voronin has to be amongst the top of the pile imo

Naturally, Voronin would end up being voted into the Best XI of the 1966 WC by the Associated Press (strangely not in the official TOTM, although he made it in the 1962 WC)

Banks; D. Santos, Schulz, Moore, Marzolini; Beckenbauer, Charlton, Voronin; Bene, Eusebio, Simoes

whilst the British pundit team with Don Revie and Billy Wright had this as all star team for this WC:

Banks; Sanchis, Schulz, Moore, Marzolini; Beckenbauer, Charlton; Voronin, Bene, Pelé, Eusebio

A referendum organized by L'Equipe and France Football regarding the best player of the tournament gave the following result:

1- Bobby Charlton ----- 17 votes
2- Franz Beckenbauer - 8 votes
3- Eusébio -------------- 7 votes
4- Valery Voronin ----- 4 votes

Pat_Mustard

And Stojkovic, an iconic player for many of us old enough to have seen him play, but somewhat forgotten now as injuries cut short his peak. A first-rate passer and a brilliant dribbler, he was good enough to leave Baresi's Milan chasing shadows and I'm unconvinced that Zito, talented player though he was, is the ideal type of DM to try to contain him.

And, just in case I haven't mentioned them enough during this draft, I'll conclude with the customary Ro-Ro video:

harms

Staff
Voted for R/I in the end, even though it's so hard for me to vote against Ronaldo/Voronin/Bonhof. But they somehow continue to surprise me, with a such well-crafted team they keep making decisions that I don't fully understand — like Scirea/Chumpitaz in the last round or Coluna in this one.

Still, Figueroa-Masopust-Rivera-Pele core... and one of my all-time favorites in Kaltz fits this team like a glove.

Deleted member 101472

Having just watched that video of Figueroa, his heading seems really weak in that he really doesn’t get much distance on a lot of them? Was it the balls in those days?