Australia at the World Cup

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Cahill is a hero of mine so i hope the Aussies do well, i expect him to leap above a giant defender to knock one in as he always does.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
What happened to Brett Holman? Heard a few Aussies are pissed because he decided to chase money in qatar but why is he not in the squad?
Apart from that, the team looks really weak. Sad that Kruse is injured :(

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
What happened to Brett Holman? Heard a few Aussies are pissed because he decided to chase money in qatar but why is he not in the squad?
He retrired from internationals around 2 weeks ago

goldenstatesplash

Holman is garbage and should never have earned a cap in the first place. He has been the king of looking like a Sunday league footballer then scoring a goal or a wondergoal and everyone parading around like he's an amazing footballer.
He retrired from internationals around 2 weeks ago
'Retired from internationals'. As in, got told he's not going to the World Cup and 'retired from internationals'.

Special shoutout to @Niall for changing the tabs :D

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Holman is garbage and should never have earned a cap in the first place. He has been the king of looking like a Sunday league footballer then scoring a goal or a wondergoal and everyone parading around like he's an amazing footballer.
'Retired from internationals'. As in, got told he's not going to the World Cup and 'retired from internationals'.

Special shoutout to @Niall for changing the tabs :D
Yeah he's a spud but was decent at the last Cup and became hideously overrated after.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Gosh, seeing that lineup you Aussies would be lucky to score during this World Cup given how hard your group is!

Who would you say your best player is? Jedinak?
I'm not thinking about scoring, I'm not taking the piss, if we can limit it to 3 or 4-0 in each game, we will have done well. If we manage a shot on target, I will honestly be surprised.

In regards to our best player, has to be Cahill. He is our only threat. Robbie Kruse would have been but is out. Jedinak will get some attention because he plays in the EPL and will captain the side but Milligan is a lot better on the ball. But because we will chase it so much, Jedinak will be very important.

DanCity

I always keep a close eye on the Aussies at the World Cup due to my mums side of the family being Australian.

It's gonna be a very tough three games for them in the group stages and unfortunately I can't see them winning any of their group games.

Just out of interest does Mark Bresciano still play at international level? Not heard much of him in recent years?

goldenstatesplash

Yeah he's a spud but was decent at the last Cup and became hideously overrated after.
See, you've just confirmed exactly what I said. "He was decent at last cup a" No. He wasn't. He was fecking terrible against Germany when he came on, could barely control the ball. He scored the lamest pathetic tap in and once again everyone heralded him as a champion of world fooball despite fecking up numerous chances in that game and again barely being able to perform like a footballer, let alone at the World Cup. Then his stock reached fever pitch when he scored a long range chancer effort on goal which I will credit him for, but add that he was abysmal for the rest of that 25 or so minutes and he also fecked up an easy chance to play Kennedy and Cahill in towards the end of the game going for glory.

It's one of the rarest myths in Australian football. The 'Holman was pretty good at the world cup in 2010!'. He just wasn't, scored a couple of goals and everyone thought he was a footballer.
Markie's 34 now. Eh, he's decent, nothing like his 2006-2010ish self. But he's in the squad and I want to see a Spartacus in the tournament!
Add in, treacle boots. He loves a good hack down when he gets caught out being a shit footballer as well. There would be a good chance he'll get sent off I reckon.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It's one of the rarest myths in Australian football. The 'Holman was pretty good at the world cup in 2010!'. He just wasn't, scored a couple of goals and everyone thought he was a footballer.Add in, treacle boots. He loves a good hack down when he gets caught out being a shit footballer as well. There would be a good chance he'll get sent off I reckon.
Scoring a couple of goals is good for an Australian forward at a World Cup.

SirAF

Ageist
I've been keeping an eye on Australia since the 2006 World Cup, so I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

Tiber

Not that i follow them closely but at first glance i would have said kewell was Australia's best at least recent player anyway..... though I've always loved cahill ever since he was a beast in championship manager 4.

Flying Fox

Not that i follow them closely but at first glance i would have said kewell was Australia's best at least recent player anyway..... though I've always loved cahill ever since he was a beast in championship manager 4.
Recently? Been far too injured in the last 12 months to make any meaningful contribution.

Although he did score in the Melbourne Derby. That was good

Tiber

Recently? Been far too injured in the last 12 months to make any meaningful contribution.

Although he did score in the Melbourne Derby. That was good
recently as in the last footballing generation. When I think of football in Oz I think of four players, Kewell, Cahill, Viduka and Schwarzer.

For me Kewell would be at the head of that list but I'm far from an expert on the subject. Even though he played for Leeds and Liverpool I always liked Harry Kewell

Eric'sCollar

Even in Kewell's current situation, I still would have found room for him the 23. If there is 20 minutes left and we need a goal, I would back his chances of grabbing a goal over some of these kids who are there because we are "building to the future".

I agree to an extent over bringing through the young players but for me, you don't do that at a World Cup. The World Cup you have to do everything to get the best results you can. I also accept that there are probably better options than Kewell at the moment but I would still back his ability over most Australian players.

No F in Chance

Even in Kewell's current situation, I still would have found room for him the 23. If there is 20 minutes left and we need a goal, I would back his chances of grabbing a goal over some of these kids who are there because we are "building to the future".

I agree to an extent over bringing through the young players but for me, you don't do that at a World Cup. The World Cup you have to do everything to get the best results you can. I also accept that there are probably better options than Kewell at the moment but I would still back his ability over most Australian players.
Realistically, it doesn't matter who gets chosen at this World Cup, the results are going to be the same anyway. Might as well bring through the young players as they're the ones who will be in the squad for the Asian Cup in January - a tournament Australia actually have a chance of winning.

Reactions: Eboue

Flying Fox

Realistically, it doesn't matter who gets chosen at this World Cup, the results are going to be the same anyway. Might as well bring through the young players as they're the ones who will be in the squad for the Asian Cup in January - a tournament Australia actually have a chance of winning.
This I think is the ultimate aim. Anything else is just a bonus

ZDwyr

I don't think we do. I think Japan are clearly the best Asian side. We are really, really bad.

Eric'sCollar

Not that it needed confirming. But Jedinak will be announced as captain in around an hour or so.