Australian Open 2011

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Begins on Monday. (Sunday night in the UK)

Rafael Nadal has the chance of holding all 4 slams at the same time. Even if it isn't in the same calender year it'll be an amazing achievement.

Federer looks very strong again and I think will be the favorite. Will be interesting to see how Murray bottles it again.

Other than that I guess Soderling and the Djocker should be in with a chance along with Roddick. Delpo is back but unseeded and looking rusty so can't see him doing much.

All in all hopefully a Nadal-Federer classic on the way.

The women's draw will be very very open especially with Serena out.

wr8_utd

:'(
Reckon this is the order of favorites :

Fed, Nadal, Djoko, Murray and Sod.

Murray has Del Po-tentially in the 4th round and Sod in the quarters.

Rafa and Fed have decent draws. Fed as usual avoids Murray in his half.

Nadal's been struggling with virus a bit over the last few weeks but I think he'll do well here. He's become a bit like Fed used to be. Not too bothered about the ATP's anymore and solely concentrating on the Slams.

On the Women's side I hope Kim takes this. If not her then Henin.

I'm interested to see how Bhupathi and Paes get along on their return as a partnership. The only Slam missing from a great collection :D

Seveneric

Davydenko :lol: Thought he was on the rise again after last week.

Efficient performance from Federer today, Lacko was just horrendous as Federer wasn't even at 90%

wr8_utd

Kim absolutely HAMMERING Safina out there. 6-0 3-0 0-30 up now on the Safina serve now. Could be a double bagel :D

wr8_utd

Fantastic fantastic match between the 2 "could have been greats". Not sure if Hewitt will continue playing tennis too much longer though. He's dropped badly.

Seveneric

Kim absolutely HAMMERING Safina out there. 6-0 3-0 0-30 up now on the Safina serve now. Could be a double bagel :D
6-0,6-0:houllier: What the f**k happened to her? I've always thought she was very limited and overachieved with her ranking and the slam finals, but she's just been terrible lately.

Fantastic fantastic match between the 2 "could have been greats". Not sure if Hewitt will continue playing tennis too much longer though. He's dropped badly.
Nalbandian maybe, but I never thought Hewitt had it in him to be a great. He had no major weapons, but credit to him making do with what he has, two slams are impressive compared to Nalbandian with major talent but nothing.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Hewitts backhand isn't a major weapon :houllier:... As much as I hate the guy, he and Roddick where unlucky that they've played the majority of their professional careers with Federer. I can calmly say that both would have had 3-5 Grand Slams each except for the Fed express

Enigma_87

You know who
Biggest surprise so far - Davydenko losing in the 1st round.

Otherwise all the top seeds(with some exceptions - Fish, Querrey) are through.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Simon and Fedex in a great tussle at the moment, love watching Gilles play.. outside the top four one of the most entertaining and talented players thats for sure.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Federer is taken to the fifth set! Bona-fide classic on show here, folks get to your tv's ffs press the red button!

wr8_utd

Bloody hell. I saw the 1st 2 sets and stopped watching thinking there is no chance in hell of Simon ever doing anything and now a 5th :eek:

Fed will still win this but it continues a run of recent struggles at the Slams for him...

wr8_utd

Djokovic made a meal of getting to the next round losing one set. He'll play his good friend Troicki now who was SO close to putting Djoko out in the 1st round at Flushing Meadows

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Bloody hell. I saw the 1st 2 sets and stopped watching thinking there is no chance in hell of Simon ever doing anything and now a 5th :eek:

Fed will still win this but it continues a run of recent struggles at the Slams for him...
Simon is on of those gunslingers who always gives himself a chance no matter what, just a shame he hasn't had that little bit extra to be a genuine grand slam contender.

wr8_utd

Simon is on of those gunslingers who always gives himself a chance no matter what, just a shame he hasn't had that little bit extra to be a genuine grand slam contender.
Simon was doing very well in 08 when he beat a number of top players but since then he's had his injuries and been very mediocre. It's a real surprise to see him playing this way. Saw him vs Rafa in the USO and he was shocking. Something's happened to him in the last 2 sets.

Ah he had a chance on the Fed serve there at 1-1 0-30

wr8_utd

Ah expected. Simon can't handle the pressure and gets broken for 4-2. Game set match probably now.

Neutral

BTV
It really shouldn't have taken this much effort for the Fed, but it's good to get in an early scare(so long as you survive...hehe)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lacked that little bit extra again, shame but we knew it was going to happen. Great match to watch nonetheless.

wr8_utd

It's really depressing watching Del Po right now. He was the next big hope of tennis but that wrist injury has ruined him. He's nowhere like he used to be and is holding his wrist even now. Hope he can get somewhere close to his best.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Agreed. He was really looking the most likely to challenge Rafa and Federer at one point. Now he'll struggle to stay in the top 20.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well wrist injuries take time to recover from, I wouldn't rule him out as a grand slam winning player of the future, he's still very young.

wr8_utd

Ofcourse I would not rule him out as a future Slam winner but when your favored wrist needs surgery and his game was purely based on a huge serve and booming forehands. With his wrist troubling him it's not looking good. Hopefully it heals properly. His US Open crown seems so distant now :(

Nalbandian out as well today. Bad day for the Argentines.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
True I get where you're coming from, its just seems to me that he is one of those mentally tough types that will come back from injury close to 100% with time, if the wimp Murray can come back from wrist troubles I wouldn't bet against Del Potro.

wr8_utd

True and hopefully it happens but Murray's game is different to Del Po's and I don't think Murray's problems were anyway as bad as Del Po's. Anyway he's out now but hopefully he's fully recovered later in the year. He's too good a player to be lost to injury.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
some astonishing games of late, great start to the tournament/year overall