Australian Open 2012

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Men's
Murray plays the French Open instead of the Australian Open, it's very likely that Murray will play against five french players on his way to the final :lol:

We're having one more british player at the tournament becaus Ward plays the quali right now.........good luck to him.

Verdasco vs Tomic, Tsonga vs Istomin and Troicki vs Ferrero are some crackers in the 1st round.

Nadal vs Haas, Roddick vs Hewitt, Nalbandian vs Isner and Wawrinka vs Baghdatis are all possible matches for the 2nd round, this could be the greatest 2nd round of a Grand Slam tournament ever :drool:

Djokovic & Murray in the same side of the draw and Nadal & Federer in the other is a nice change.

My tournament winner: Andy Murray

Women's
Tough draws for the british girls: Watson against Azarenka, Keothavong will meet the german Barthel and Baltacha could play in the 2nd round against Clijsters (1st round against Foretz-Gacon).
Hopefully Robson can qualify, she has to play two rounds in the quali.

My star Ivanovic plays first against Dominguez-Lino, but she has a tough draw on the way to the final.

Sharapova vs Dulko will be something for our eyes :drool:

S.Williams vs Paszek is another :drool:-match.

Stosur vs Cirstea could be a great game and a banana skin for Stosur.

Dokic vs Chakvetadze is the "Twin match" :)

My tournament winner: Victoria Azarenka

Peasplease

Switched off Tomic v Verdasco when Verdasco was 2 sets up, feeling like Tomic has no chance. Checked 2 hours later and found out Tomic won 3 sets to 2. I'm getting excited about this guy.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

No chance for Ward against Kavcic......4-6 3-6 4-6 :(

Nadal, Del Potro, Berdych, Fish, Isner, Lopez, Dolgopolov, Wawrinka, Baghdatis and Haas are through.

It really looks like Davydenko's career on the top is over.......he has lost in five sets against the No.76 Cipolla.

Switched off Tomic v Verdasco when Verdasco was 2 sets up, feeling like Tomic has no chance. Checked 2 hours later and found out Tomic won 3 sets to 2. I'm getting excited about this guy.
Like i've said this match could be really a cracker and it was a cracker. Tomic was only a bit unlucky in the first two sets because he's played fantastic in the whole game.

Women's
Review

Brit girl No.1: Watson has made a single game against Azarenka :( + :)
Brit girl No.2: Robson has made two games against Jankovic :( + :)
Brit girl No.3: Baltacha has lost in straight sets too but she has won at least six games :(
Brit girl No.4: And yeah Keothavong has retired after she has lost the 1.set with 0-6 :(

Pennetta, Jovanovski and Mirza are out too :(

At least A.Radwanska, Georges and Hantuchova are in the next round :)

Clijsters and Na Li are through too.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Thought tomic ran out of steam 2 sets in, was barely moving. Del potro looking ok aswell, excited to his game return.

Wozniacki playing ( not sure if it's on repeat tbh) but heard 6 women could take over the no 1 ranking depending on results which is crazy.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
Right now its Harrison vs Murray and Harrison looks like he could be the real deal. Might be a year or two away but has all the shots and good footwork. His second serve is at 110 MPH compared to Murrays 88 :eek:

Comfy wins for Novak and Nadal aswell. Maria looking fit too :drool:

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

But Murray beats Harrison in the end 4-6 6-3 6-4 6-2

First of all credit to Harrison who has played very very very good tennis and is a good bet for a future top 10 player.
Murray played average and has made too many unforced errors but he's through.

Djokovic, Roddick, Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Monfils, Simon, Gasquet and Raonic are all in the next round too.

Golubev vs Youzhny was a great match with five sets (7-5 6-7 6-4 4-6 6-3) and nearly 5 hours of play

Women's
Review

Ivanovic has beaten Dominguez-Lino 6-0 6-3

Sharapova, Kirilenko and Lisicki are in the next round too :)

The same goes for Kvitova, Zvonareva and Bartoli.

Dokic has won the "Twin match" against Chakvetadze 6-2 6-1

And it was a banana skin for Stosur.........Cirstea has played very well :)

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

Tsonga beats Istomin 6-4 3-6 6-2 7-5

Troicki vs Ferrero was another great match and a great fight from Troicki......4-6 6-7 6-2 7-6 6-2

Some funny moments in the Hewitt vs Stebe match.......first of all Hewitt has broken his shoelace and then

And by the way Hewitt has beaten Stebe 7-5 6-4 3-6 7-5

Women's
Review

Magnificent performance from S.Williams and a great fight from Paszek but in the end S.Williams has beaten Paszek 6-3 6-2.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Novak is going to ease this tournament.

- Rafa is playing like dog poo
- Federer isn't the same player
- Murray is Murray and will choke at some point

Can't see any 'surprise' winners either.

Perhaps Del Po, what's his form and fitness been like?

wr8_utd

:'(
Del Po has been getting better but he still can lose to random players any day. I think QF's is the best he can hope for.

Nadal beat Haas in straights and the match of the day was the Nalby Isner match which Isner won 10-8 in the 5th.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

Nadal beat Haas in straights
It's a shame it was so easy for Nadal.

The match of the day was the Nalby Isner match which Isner won 10-8 in the 5th.
1)

2) Drama of the highest order......some terrible decisions from the umpire against Nalbandian :mad:
3) Nalbandian was the better player imo but he's made far too many drop-shots at the end and Isner was a ace with his aces.

Wawrinka has beaten Baghdatis 7-6 6-4 5-7 6-1

Federer had a walkover.

Del Potro, Berdych, Lopez and Dolgpolov are all through too.

Tomic to win!
Beating first Verdasco and now Querrey is a big statement. No doubt the home support helps him but you can see he's something special and is a exiting player.

The shock result of the day was no doubt the loss from Fish against Falla in straight sets.

Perhaps Del Po, what's his form and fitness been like?
The 3rd round against Lu and 4th round against Falla or Kohlschreiber should be makeable for Del Potro but he plays probably in the QF against Federer.
It's a long way to go for the QF matches but if we're getting a QF match between Del Potro vs Federer.......all my money wouldn't be on Federer.

Preview
I'm sure Tomic vs Dolgopolov will be a fascinating match in the 3rd round.

Women's
Review

Azarenka, Jankovic, Hantuchova, A.Radwanska and Georges are all through :)

Wozniacki, Clijsters and Na Li are in the next round too.

And Schiavone is out

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

Easy win for Murray against Roger-Vasselin 6-1 6-4 6-4

Djokovic, Tsonga, Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Monfils, Gasquet and Raonic have reached the 3rd round too.

It's a shame Roddick has retired against Hewitt because the the match had so much potential.

Great comeback from Nishikori against local hero Ebden......3-6 1-6 6-4 6-1 6-1

Benneteau has beaten Simon in five sets.

Troicki has lost against the no.92 Kukushkin in five sets is a surprise result too.

Preview
Hewitt vs Raonic could be another cracker in the next round.

Women's
Review

Ivanovic vs Krajicek 6-2 6-3

Sharapova, S.Williams, Kirilenko, Lisicki and Cirstea are in the next round too.

The same goes for Kvitova, Zvonareva and Bartoli.

Peasplease

Have to say, Tomic comes off as a massive nob. The more I see/hear about him while his not playing the less I want him to win. Then again, if I can support Hewitt...

Seveneric

Haas vs. Nadal was never going to be a good match. Haas is waaay past it.

Good call on the Stosur-Cirstea match, such a disappointment for Stosur.

Does anyone know if Azarenka or Kvitova are on Serena's side of the draw?

wr8_utd

:'(
Ranoic had a brilliant year last year which was ruined by injury towards the end. Now he looks close to getting back to his last years performances. Future top 5 for sure imo.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

Oh yeah it was really a fantastic match between Tomic and Dolgopolov

Nadal, Federer, Del Potro and Berdych are in the next round too.

Lopez has beaten Isner 6-3 6-7 6-4 6-7 6-1
I would have loved a match between Nadal vs Isner in the next round, Isner has played so well against Nadal at the French Open.

Wawrinka has lost against Almagro in straight sets.

Preview
I'm really looking forward to the Federer vs Tomic match because of http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Donay+Meijer+2012+Australian+Open+Day+5+RG2pzjU-A9Vl.jpg :drool:

Ranoic had a brilliant year last year which was ruined by injury towards the end. Now he looks close to getting back to his last years performances. Future top 5 for sure imo.
Some quality young players are out there like Raonic, Tomic, Dolgopolov or Harrison but i think Raonic has the biggest talent of them.

Women's
Review

Azarenka, Jankovic, A.Radwanska and Georges have reached the 4th round :)

Wozniacki and Na Li are through too.

But Hantuchova has lost against Clijsters :(

Preview
Wozniacki vs Jankovic could be the first cracker in the tournament.

Does anyone know if Azarenka or Kvitova are on Serena's side of the draw?
Kvitova and S.Williams are on the same side of the draw and Azarenka is in the other one.

King_Eric

The winners from the Wozniacki vs Jankovic and Clijsters vs Na Li games have to play each other in the quarters. So that's three big games already.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Still can't see past Djokovic winning the tournament, in all honesty.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
How good are Djoko/Nadal/Fed/Murray looking? I've only watched a little bit, and I'm clueless anyway.
All have been fairly comfortable so far.

But I think Novak would wipe the floor with any of the others.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Can't see any of the big boys getting shocked at this stage. Tomic could give Federer a good game, but I still expect Federer to get through, possibly in 4 sets.

CheadleBeagle

Still can't see past Djokovic winning the tournament, in all honesty.
He looks good right now but hasn't really had to play anyone half decent yet. Roger has the tougher tests but I expect him to get by Tomic and then have to face Del Potro which will also be tough, then Nadal. I hoped Roger would win this one but he has such a tough draw he'll be lucky to get to the final. If he does I think he will win it otherwise it will be Djokovic again.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Men's
Review

Some people thought Llodra can make it very tricky for Murray but Murray has played fantastic throughout the whole match therefore you could see only one winner from that match.

Djokovic tearing Mahut a new one.
So far he has won 54 out of 64 games and was only 4 1/2 on the court, Lorenzi and Mahut have won together only four games against him :HeIsInGreatFormAgain:

Hewitt vs Raonic was a fantastic match and i'm happy Hewitt was the winner

Gasquet has beaten Tipsarevic 6-3 6-3 6-1

Ferrer has reached the next round too.

The shock of the day was no doubt the loss from Monfils against Kukushkin 2-6 5-7 7-5 6-1 4-6

Preview
Murray's French Open at the Australian Open are having a break in the next match :)

I don't think Hewitt has a big chance against Djokovic but if Hewitt wins the first set then you never know.........

Women's
Review

S.Williams and Lisicki are through :)

But Zvonareva and Bartoli are out.

Preview
Ivanovic vs Kvitova and Sharpova vs Lisicki are some good matches in the 4th round.

Seveneric

Kvitova and S.Williams are on the same side of the draw and Azarenka is in the other one.
:drool: This should be good, can't wait for that match.

I think the winner will most likely be either of them, injuries permitting.

Tomic vs Federer next up. I fancy Tomic to shock him.

No bias ;)
Depending on how Federer plays, Tomic will be lucky to get a set to TB tbh. I'd think all the tight matches he's had will eventually wear him down.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
Men's
Review

Some people thought Llodra can make it very tricky for Murray but Murray has played fantastic throughout the whole match therefore you could see only one winner from that match.

So far he has won 54 out of 64 games and was only 4 1/2 on the court, Lorenzi and Mahut have won together only four games against him :HeIsInGreatFormAgain:

Hewitt vs Raonic was a fantastic match and i'm happy Hewitt was the winner

Gasquet has beaten Tipsarevic 6-3 6-3 6-1

Ferrer has reached the next round too.

The shock of the day was no doubt the loss from Monfils against Kukushkin 2-6 5-7 7-5 6-1 4-6

Preview
Murray's French Open at the Australian Open are having a break in the next match :)

I don't think Hewitt has a big chance against Djokovic but if Hewitt wins the first set then you never know.........

Women's
Review

S.Williams and Lisicki are through :)

But Zvonareva and Bartoli are out.

Preview
Ivanovic vs Kvitova and Sharpova vs Lisicki are some good matches in the 4th round.
Shame Raonic couldnt do more against Hewitt but Hewitt always plays well at home and although I didnt see the match it looked one sided.

Lisicki looks a bit of nutcase (in reference to her previous injuries and such) but it was a good comeback to win. Ivanovic looks fitter and to be gaining confidence (she made some fantastic defensive shots).

As we move further into the tournament we really are getting some tasty matches. Fantastic tennis and many subplots.

Thanks for the updates Sean, it is appreciated!

Hitchcocker

Ridiculous questions from the interviewer after Nadal's match. What sort of response you want to get from questions such as:

Advice to Tomic?
Is it true you only swim when you can see the bottom?

Idiot.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Damn what a fightback from Kjlisters! From 6-2 down in the 2nd set tiebreak to win the 2nd set. Brilliant fightback.