AUSUK

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The US use HEU and France use LEU because one of them respect the non proliferation treaty and doesn't encourage uranium enrishing at high percentages. Unless your point is that France shouldn't respect these rules, which I agree they shouldn't, then what is your point?

And I don't see what your link provide that actually support your point, we already addressed the potential delays and cost overruns.But for example, can you tell me if there were design modifications between the first and alleged last price estimations? And again to illustrate my point the Columbia, Astute and Suffren classes have all had important delays, that's why I don't understand your point, I haven't seen anything that doesn't apply to every other manufacturers in similar scenarios with new designs, I would totally get your point if we were talking about something that pre-existed, like for example the Scorpene class for France or the Virginia class for the US, in that case unless there are major modifications timelines and costs should be stable.
I honestly don't know what you're arguing against. Australia wasn't happy with the delays and budget overruns, and possibly other stuff as many articles report. What's so controversial about saying France needs to step up its game if it wants to reduce the risk of future cancellations?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I honestly don't know what you're arguing against. Australia wasn't happy with the delays and budget overruns, and possibly other stuff as many articles report. What's so controversial about saying France needs to step up its game if it wants to reduce the risk of future cancellations?
Because you need to determine whether the unhappiness is legitimate and actually fixable. It's not because someone is unhappy about something that you are in the wrong and failed. That seems fairly obvious to me and that's why I asked you what are the lot of things that Naval Group did wrong.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Because you need determine whether the unhappiness is legitimate and actually fixable. It's not because someone is unhappy about something that you are in the wrong and failed. That seems fairly obvious to me and that's why I asked you what are the lot of things that Naval Group did wrong.
Naval Group wasn't good enough, that's the impression I get from reading articles. Whether they couldn't do better or whether they did things wrong, the end result is they weren't good enough to convince Australia to continue. Hence my comment that France needs to step up its game. You're basically asking me to prove that Australia's unhappiness was legitimate. Again, I can only cite the articles I read JP, I don't work in the Australian government.

If France wants to become more competitive in the arms market compared to the US/UK, they have to step their game up.

Despite understandable shock at Australia abruptly terminating its existing $38.6 billion and growing contract with France’s Naval Group for 12 Shortfin Barracuda-based Attack-class diesel-electric submarines, there were ample indications that cost overruns, significant delays, and reduced Australian industry involvement were aggravating Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government. With these cost overruns, the French Naval Group pushed the price tag of conventional submarines up into the range normally associated with nuclear-powered submarines.
The United Kingdom has also developed and deployed nuclear submarines for decades, and the Royal Navy’s Vanguard-class nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarine (SSBN) and Astute-class SSN boast a “life-of-ship” reactor core, far superior to the once-a-decade refueling required of France’s Barracuda.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/09/20/australia-aukus-nuclear-submarines-china/

(you can read the article in incognito)

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Naval Group wasn't good enough, that's the impression I get from reading articles. Whether they couldn't do better or whether they did things wrong, the end result is they weren't good enough to convince Australia to continue. Hence my comment that France needs to step up its game. You're asking me to prove that Australia's unhappiness was legitimate. Again, I can only cite the articles I read JP, I don't work in the Australian government.

If France wants to become more competitive in the arms market compared to the US/UK, they have to step their game up.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/09/20/australia-aukus-nuclear-submarines-china/

(you can read the article in incognito)
And again my point is that none of these articles actually point to anything even vaguely specific outside of delays and cost estimations which could be created by an infinity of factors one of them being the clients own new requirement after design meetings. I'm not telling you that Naval Group aren't at fault because I don't know but I can't also tell you that the Austalian Navy isn't at fault because I know nothing about the how those meeting went and whether changes were required. I believe that it is the logical stand to have particularly when it's exactly what happens when countries build ships for themselves.

As for the other point, I already addressed it, France in order to follow non-proliferation rules stopped producing military HEU reactors and focused on LEU and diesel/electric fuelled submarines since the latters have potentially more clients, what your are suggesting is that France should produce HEU fuelled submarines and then sell them? That idea is/was a bit daft up until last week, while France could produce them for themselves they would have no business selling them to anyone, the fact that the US may do it with Australia is a bit fishy.

And again my point is that none of these articles actually point to anything even vaguely specific outside of delays and cost estimations which could be created by an infinity of factors one of them being the clients own new requirement after design meetings. I'm not telling you that Naval Group aren't at fault because I don't know but I can't also tell you that the Austalian Navy isn't at fault because I know nothing about the how those meeting went and whether changes were required. I believe that it is the logical stand to have particularly when it's exactly what happens when countries build ships for themselves.

As for the other point, I already addressed it, France in order to follow non-proliferation rules stopped producing military HEU reactors and focused on LEU and diesel/electric fuelled submarines since the latters have potentially more clients, what your are suggesting is that France should produce HEU fuelled submarines and then sell them? That idea is/was a bit daft up until last week, while France could produce them for themselves they would have no business selling them to anyone, the fact that the US may do it with Australia is a bit fishy.
In all likelihood nothing vaguely specific will ever become public. Delays and cost overruns are common in defence projects and they're also a common reason for projects getting cancelled. When it's local industry governments can deal with some cost overruns as extra money goes back into the economy, but France kept wanting to build more and more in France.

For reference the full construction of the far more complex and capable Astute class overran by 'only' 50%. The cost of the Barracuda had almost doubled in the 5 years since Naval Group got the contract and they hadn't even started building them. Australia was going to end up paying more for diesel electric subs than the UK or US did for their nuclear powered boats.

I think when the contracts are all said and done the US won't sell the reactors to Australia. They will retain ownership somehow and lease them. They don't want Australia knowing whats in them and it's easier for Australia that way.

JPRouve

Scout
In all likelihood nothing vaguely specific will ever become public. Delays and cost overruns are common in defence projects and they're also a common reason for projects getting cancelled. When it's local industry governments can deal with some cost overruns as extra money goes back into the economy, but France kept wanting to build more and more in France.

For reference the full construction of the far more complex and capable Astute class overran by 'only' 50%. The cost of the Barracuda had almost doubled in the 5 years since Naval Group got the contract and they hadn't even started building them. Australia was going to end up paying more for diesel electric subs than the UK or US did for their nuclear powered boats.

I think when the contracts are all said and done the US won't sell the reactors to Australia. They will retain ownership somehow and lease them. They don't want Australia knowing whats in them and it's easier for Australia that way.
The problem is that what you are suggesting here is one side of the story and not the official or contractual one, surely you see the problem? You know that each sides will always try to build a narrative that suit them, you are using non-facts as facts and running with it not even realizing two things, first that it comes from Australian politicians and secondly there is a small detail that is particularly suspicious, the design phase of the project started in 2018, at that time according to australian sources an independent american firm audited the project(one that barely actually started) and suggested that it should be abandoned and that's roughly that timeframe(2018-2021) that aussies are using as an argument.

So let me ask you a few questions. Do you think that design phases can and often lead to more costs due to new requests or potential technical hurdles? Do you think that we should ignore the clear interference from an american company and former US secretary(Donald Winter)? Do you agree on the idea that we don't actually have anything solid supporting the idea that Naval Group are the cause for potential increased costs or delays?

Also let me be clear, due to my nationality you can think that I'm biased but I assure you that when it comes to the non-geopolitical side of things, I do not care about Naval Group, if they messed up, we should know about it and criticize them. The issue here is that I see parties that have an interest in making a scapegoat and they haven't provided anything to support it, so it's a bit strange to see people just run with it.

The problem is that what you are suggesting here is one side of the story and not the official or contractual one, surely you see the problem? You know that each sides will always try to build a narrative that suit them, you are using non-facts as facts and running with it not even realizing two things, first that it comes from Australian politicians and secondly there is a small detail that is particularly suspicious, the design phase of the project started in 2018, at that time according to australian sources an independent american firm audited the project(one that barely actually started) and suggested that it should be abandoned and that's roughly that timeframe(2018-2021) that aussies are using as an argument.

So let me ask you a few questions. Do you think that design phases can and often lead to more costs due to new requests or potential technical hurdles? Do you think that we should ignore the clear interference from an american company and former US secretary(Donald Winter)? Do you agree on the idea that we don't actually have anything solid supporting the idea that Naval Group are the cause for potential increased costs or delays?

Also let me be clear, due to my nationality you can think that I'm biased but I assure you that when it comes to the non-geopolitical side of things, I do not care about Naval Group, if they messed up, we should know about it and criticize them. The issue here is that I see parties that have an interest in making a scapegoat and they haven't provided anything to support it, so it's a bit strange to see people just run with it.
I think you misunderstand me here. I'm not really placing blame on either side, more suggesting Australia were within their rights to cancel the contract and probably quite right to do so give the cost and delays.

Though design phases can throw up extra hurdles it's not a good look if Naval Group massively underbid in the tender phase, though we will probably never know if they did. From what i read in the news and on here France accepts Australia had the right to cancel and its the Americans they're annoyed at.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Americans had been involved as they would no doubt love a new foothold in Australia as they don't have much presence on the Southern side of the South China Sea.

JPRouve

Scout
I think you misunderstand me here. I'm not really placing blame on either side, more suggesting Australia were within their rights to cancel the contract and probably quite right to do so give the cost and delays.

Though design phases can throw up extra hurdles it's not a good look if Naval Group massively underbid in the tender phase, though we will probably never know if they did. From what i read in the news and on here France accepts Australia had the right to cancel and its the Americans they're annoyed at.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Americans had been involved as they would no doubt love a new foothold in Australia as they don't have much presence on the Southern side of the South China Sea.
But what if Australia are the main reason behind the increase in costs and delays? I'm not saying that they are because I have no clue but lets say that during the design phase Australia asked for significanly different specs and designs than the ones agreed on in 2016? What if Australia had to provide certain personnels to the Adelaide construction sites that they couldn't provide in time, I know that the DGA always have/want to provide personnels when they deal with other manufacturers?

Edit: An other important point. Whatever the reason I can't fault Australia too much because whether Naval Group failed or the US made a far better offer post 2016, we are talking about long term strategic investment. If you offer me a better option in that domain, I will think carefully about it and probably take it. So I could see a situation where France is right to be upset, Australia are justified in their decision and the US are slimy( :angel: ).

Last edited:

But what if Australia are the main reason behind the increase in costs and delays? I'm not saying that they are because I have no clue but lets say that during the design phase Australia asked for significanly different specs and designs than the ones agreed on in 2016? What if Australia had to provide certain personnels to the Adelaide construction sites that they couldn't provide in time, I know that the DGA always have/want to provide personnels when they deal with other manufacturers?
Then they still have a right to cancel, as long as they pay the agreed penalties. All large contracts like this have milestones where both sides can walk away. In defence it does happen quite often too. Look at how many billions the US has wasted on various cancelled Navy and Air Force projects over the years.

JPRouve

Scout
Then they still have a right to cancel, as long as they pay the agreed penalties. All large contracts like this have milestones where both sides can walk away. In defence it does happen quite often too. Look at how many billions the US has wasted on various cancelled Navy and Air Force projects over the years.
They have a right to cancel, no one argued against that. Keep in mind that the post you initially responded to was about a post putting blame on Naval Group when it could simply be a change of mind on the Australian side for whatever reason.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
By the way. Is it not AUKUS and not as the thread AUSUK ?
Or have I missed something.

JPRouve

Scout
By the way. Is it not AUKUS and not as the thread AUSUK ?
Or have I missed something.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-than-australia-says-biden-after-aukus-pact

“The United States has no closer or more reliable ally than Australia,” Biden said on Tuesday ahead of a bilateral meeting with Morrison on the sidelines of the United Nations general assembly in New York.
You see that's why I don't value the pact. The UK and France have followed and supported the US in almost every situation since 1945 with or without pacts or treaties, yet US presidents make that type of claims. Maybe I'm overreacting but I find it insulting particularly when they will act as if it never happened when they need both of these countries to be their sidekicks.

An other thing from August 31st:
https://www.minister.defence.gov.au...australia-france-22-ministerial-consultations

21 - Both sides committed to deepen defence industry cooperation and enhance their capability edge in the region. Ministers underlined the importance of the Future Submarine program. They agreed to strengthen military scientific research cooperation through a strategic partnership between the Defence Science and Technology Group and the Directorate General for Armaments.

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Boris being as diplomatic to the French as usual.

Speaking outside the US Capitol today, Johnson said: “I just think it’s time for some of our dearest friends around the world to prenez un grip about this and donnez-moi un break. This is fundamentally a great step forward for global security. It’s three very like minded allies standing shoulder to shoulder creating a new partnership for the sharing of technology. It’s not exclusive. It’s not trying to shoulder anybody out. It’s not adversarial towards China for instance.”

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Denmark sides with the US in row with France

Danish PM:
“I think it’s important to say — given the talks going on in Europe right now — that I see Biden as very loyal to the transatlantic alliance,” Frederiksen said in an interview with Danish daily Politiken from New York.

“And in general, we should not turn concrete challenges, which will always exist between allies, into something they should not be. I would very much warn against this,” she added.

Asked whether she understood the criticism coming out of Paris and Brussels, the Danish leader replied: “No, I don’t understand it, I don’t understand it at all.”

“That doesn’t mean that we in the Danish government necessarily agree with the US on everything, and we also said that we would have liked to see a different exit from Afghanistan, but I feel absolutely no frustration with the new US administration.”

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't they let the US spy on their European partners?
I think Bojo is an opportunistic who will sell anyone and anything for his gain.
Indeed, they allegedly helped the US spy on the largest EU members.