Averaging 1.0 points against the bottom 13 teams

Wilt

With the tactics Ole plays he would be much better suited to manage one of those 13 teams. Sit back and counter...

Ole is just as defensive of a manager as Mourinho at the moment. Maybe it is because of the players but maybe it is also his vision. Hopefully it will be the first and we will see a change in tactics when better, more suited to attacking, players become available.
I don’t see much evidence of Mourinho being very defensive at Spurs ...Vertonghen seemingly asking Mourinho if he should get involved, Mourinho sends him up and he scores the winner.

Paul_Scholes18

Hopefully we can get 1 win and one draw in the next 3 to improve this record. That level of progress should be enough to give Ole a new contract.

b82REZ

Oh? So what players we have available doesn't matter, its all down to the tactics?

We should let Ed know that he should cancel the transfer window, we have the players we need to win already in the club.
What? Lets not double down on the stupidity now, Tom.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Hopefully we can get 1 win and one draw in the next 3 to improve this record. That level of progress should be enough to give Ole a new contract.
We're 5W 8D in our last 8 (Im deliberately leaving out the Astana game for reasons that should be obvious).

Not the worst run of form on the planet?

Bestietom

Thought it deserved a thread. Our record against the top 6 this season is 14 points out of 18 which has been talked about after Spurs and City. Now it’s on to the horrible side of our season 11 games 11 points against the teams 7 or below it really is shocking but not surprising we our the easiest team to play in the league sit deep compact and we will struggle
Bad record, but this has happened right down the years. We are beaten by the lower teams, even in SAF time. Maybe we think we just have to turn up.

b82REZ

If we don't rely on specific individuals, why bother buying players?
Of course you will get the odd moment of individual brilliance but to dismiss tactics entirely, as you did, is one of the most stupid things I've read on this forum.

A managers job is use tactics to make his team better than the sum of its parts so he doesn't have to rely on moments of individuality to win games.

b82REZ

We're 5W 8D in our last 8 (Im deliberately leaving out the Astana game for reasons that should be obvious).

Not the worst run of form on the planet?
:lol:

You cannot do that an expect anyone to take the rest of your point seriously.

Your post might as well have read:

"We've got 100% win rate if you ignore all the times we dropped points (which I've left out deliberately because it doesn't suit my point)"

passing-wind

The idea that certain players will make a difference is in need of a reality check, it comes down to coaching impetus how to break down teams. You can't rely on individual brilliance every game to dictate results in our favour. Solskjaer needs to coach the movement into the team, show them how to operate in half spaces, where to position themselves etc. It takes time but after a year into the job we are still struggling against compact defences. I think the real highlight is that Ole is a defensive minded coach hence we are able to dethrone teams with less possession of the ball. The issue here is if Mourinho stood for the same ideology why is Solskjaer perceived as any indifferent..

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
:lol:

You cannot do that an expect anyone to take the rest of your point seriously.

Your post might as well have read:

"We've got 100% win rate if you ignore all the times we dropped points (which I've left out deliberately because it doesn't suit my point)"
I left the Astana game out because we treated it as a practice game for the U23's. Not even the coaching staff attended the game. Stop being silly.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Of course you will get the odd moment of individual brilliance but to dismiss tactics entirely, as you did, is one of the most stupid things I've read on this forum.

A managers job is use tactics to make his team better than the sum of its parts so he doesn't have to rely on moments of individuality to win games.
Does it make you feel better to characterize things or people as "stupid" when you make an argument? if not, then please refrain from doing so.

The point I made, that you so happily dismiss, is that the tactic of any game is affected by who actually participates in it, not just the game plan itself. Or why else do you suppose clubs keep setting transfer records for the next and best player?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That doesn't make it okay.
Do you have a need to be quarrelsome today? Or are you one of those that wanted the managers head when we lost the game, with the Manchester United first XI squad training at Carrington?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Simply needs investment and time. When you have Jesse Lingard as the no.10 he’s not going to put them to the sword. Rashford and James aren’t at the level yet where they will punish the crap teams. We lack creativity in midfield too and our fullbacks don’t offer enough going forward. Makes for a situation where if we go 1-0 down against crap like Everton we are fecked. We need a poacher who's going to punish teams that that and a midfielder who's going to create more against them, then results will improve massively. Over time Rashford and James will get better against them too.

b82REZ

Do you have a need to be quarrelsome today? Or are you one of those that wanted the managers head when we lost the game, with the Manchester United first XI squad training at Carrington?
I wanted him gone way before that game

manc4red

Did not realize we were this bad vs the bottom feeders. I can only try to explain this by the fact that our lads step up their game and focus vs our traditional top 6 opponents. While the bottom feeder teams step up their games vs us

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Does it make you feel better to characterize things or people as "stupid" when you make an argument? if not, then please refrain from doing so.

The point I made, that you so happily dismiss, is that the tactic of any game is affected by who actually participates in it, not just the game plan itself. Or why else do you suppose clubs keep setting transfer records for the next and best player?
A Klopp team always plays like a Klopp team though and the same is true for Pep. They buy expensive players, because they execute their philosophies more consistently, they make fewer mistakes defensively and make better use of spaces in attack.
The (theoretical) solutions to these problems come from the coaches, not the players though.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Our finishing was shit yesterday. Also games at the start of the season saw us capitulate in the second half and hobble away with draws (Wolves/Southampton).

Besides all the arguments re: counter attacking/game raising etc - which may very well be true - the ultimate reason why we're not doing well is the fact that we're relying on an incredibly thin squad filled with two extremes: older, knackered players and ridiculously young, unexperienced, talent.

Somewhere within Manchester United is a formidable football team, dominating possession and getting into the box. However, it's going to require smart signings that lift the team and see us actually convert chances. Goes without saying, but Liverpool are prime examples in recent years. (Fully aware that there is very likely a correlation between smart signings and smart leadership, which is something United are severely lacking).
This. With Everton as with so many games this season we dominate the game and every metric, yet end up with a draw because we were shit at finishing our chances and at the same time gave away a cheap goal in the other end. Pogba back and Haaland in January and i am sure we will start to beat these buses more regularly

DRM

Here's a thought, why don't we sit back against the lesser teams like we do against the top 6? Force them to have a go at us then hit them on the counter.

Thinking out loud, the game might end up like the episode of the Simpsons where they showed football :lol:

Gomes

The excuses are never-ending. If only United had McTominay fit then every game would have been won. Now, not only is Pogba needed back but expectations of winning against relegation candidates are too much without another transfer window.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not much contribution when attacking from both fullbacks, and we have a striker who played like Messi, but without the vision, skill, and finishing.

yo@Kirk

Greenwood is the only attacking player who can maintain control in the penalty area long enough to pass the ball to an open teammate or get a quality shot off. He needs to be playing somewhere in the attack every match. Haaland is similarly capable of close control so should be an every match starter. Pogba at attacking mid behind Rashford, Haaland, and Greenwood would do better than 11 points out of 33, imho.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
A Klopp team always plays like a Klopp team though and the same is true for Pep. They buy expensive players, because they execute their philosophies more consistently, they make fewer mistakes defensively and make better use of spaces in attack.
The (theoretical) solutions to these problems come from the coaches, not the players though.
And we are playing like an Ole team, he just can't get Jesse Lingard up to 25 goals and assists a season because he's not at the required level surprisingly enough. Klopp can't get a tune out of Origi most of the time either, it's no different, they're just squad players unless you're happy to be mid table.

I feel a bit the same about Martial - fine up front if we're playing on the counter as his one touch play, dribbling and shooting are excellent, but otherwise he's only a winger for me.

Crustanoid

In those first 17 games of Olés reign how many were against lesser teams? I remember Cardiff and Huddersfield and there was probably more, but we seemed to pummel them.

I expect someone will come back and say it was down to Mourinho or something.

However it would be interesting to know what changed.

Iirc we used to do this all the time when Fergie was rebuilding. Terrible performances against lesser teams interspersed with colossal victories against the best (we beat Liverpool a few times and anyone remember the 6-2 away to Arse?)

Crustanoid

Oh? So what players we have available doesn't matter, its all down to the tactics?

We should let Ed know that he should cancel the transfer window, we have the players we need to win already in the club.
Ed is probably unaware of the transfer window with it being 2745th on his to-do list

Ekeke

ITT: No one mentioning how the one player that can unlock the bottom team defenses is out injured. We'll be alright once Pogba returns to action on Boxing day.

Remember, Pogba had 13 goals and 9 assists last season alone. That is a lot of output to lose from your midfield.
7 goals came from penalties, 1 from a freekick and 5 from open play

Even when he played he missed from the spot this season

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I knew the figures were bad (although look even worse laid out) and it wa why, after the Villa, game I moved to the side of those calling for Ole to quit. It's appalling and shows a total lack of any plan, let alone Plan B

flappyjay

Our defense has to take a lot of the blame too. 1 - 0 scores are important to having any kind of success during the season. We mostly need atleast 2 goals to win matches. Games against Arsenal, Liverpool and Sheffield should have been wins

flappyjay

7 goals came from penalties, 1 from a freekick and 5 from open play

Even when he played he missed from the spot this season
Looking at how many penalties we messed up this season I would have more respect for that pen stat.

Greck

In those first 17 games of Olés reign how many were against lesser teams? I remember Cardiff and Huddersfield and there was probably more, but we seemed to pummel them.

Iirc we used to do this all the time when Fergie was rebuilding. Terrible performances against lesser teams interspersed with colossal victories against the best(we beat Liverpool a few times and anyone remember the 6-2 away to Arse?)
This is untrue. Under Fergie we bullied, battered, outclassed and dominated everyone outside top 4 (there was no top 6 as Spurs and City were our whipping boys). Our M.O against terrible teams wasn't terrible performances, we played entire halves in their box as the United fear factor was real

Last edited:

b82REZ

Iirc we used to do this all the time when Fergie was rebuilding. Terrible performances against lesser teams interspersed with colossal victories against the best (we beat Liverpool a few times and anyone remember the 6-2 away to Arse?)
You're remembering incorrectly.

Greck

You're remembering incorrectly.
Sadly so many people's memories of Fergie seems to be the shite we played in his final 2 seasons. Maybe he has himself to blame for condoning that kind of football but that was uncharacteristic of our true style under the great man

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
@Crustanoid - We only played 2 clubs who were sat in the top 10 on the day of each match,

OpponentOpp Pos in Table When PlayedResult
Cardiff16th5-1 Win
Huddersfield19th3-1 Win
Bournemouth12th4-1 Win
Newcastle15th2-0 Win
Tottenham3rd1-0 Win
Brighton13th2-1 Win
Burnley16th2-2 Draw
Leicester11th1-0 Win
Fulham19th3-0 Win
Liverpool1st0-0 Draw
Palace13th3-1 Win
Southampton17th3-2 Win

mewnew11

Request some patience and this will also change.

The more the team trains together the more you will see better results. We already have good confidence of ourselves now. Earlier in the season the confidence itself was missing.

Yes we do need some players but I can see this statistic changing once pogba is back in the team

manunited1919

We play well against teams that attack us because they leave space for us to run into, and we have probably the quickest front line in the league.

The problem against the lower teams who sit back and don't leave as much space stems from our players.

Martial - technically great but far too passive and cant force himself on a game.
Rashford - not good enough in tight spaces and simply too wasteful to be relied upon.
James - still very raw, not shown anything in tight spaces and very reliant on his pace.

Against any team we will get at least some opportunity to attack space so I don't think we need to become some intricate possession team, we had two great chances on Sunday early on that we couldn't even hit the target with. We need a player who will score those more often than not, probably at the expense of Martial.
Sure, there are problems with all of our top 3. But you completely forgot about Lingard, who breaks down so many of our attacking plays when he gets the ball, either losing the ball, making the wrong decision, or completely disappearing from games. He simply doesn’t have the skills to operate where space is tight.

Sure, there are problems with all of our top 3. But you completely forgot about Lingard, who breaks down so many of our attacking plays when he gets the ball, either losing the ball, making the wrong decision, or completely disappearing from games. He simply doesn’t have the skills to operate where space is tight.
I find myself much happier when i do that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And we are playing like an Ole team, he just can't get Jesse Lingard up to 25 goals and assists a season because he's not at the required level surprisingly enough. Klopp can't get a tune out of Origi most of the time either, it's no different, they're just squad players unless you're happy to be mid table.

I feel a bit the same about Martial - fine up front if we're playing on the counter as his one touch play, dribbling and shooting are excellent, but otherwise he's only a winger for me.
My point is that with the top coaches you see how they plan to address certain question, even if the squad isn't fully to their liking yet. Upgrading on Lingaard will yield more goals and thus more points, but it probably won't magically give Solskjaer new ideas on how to properly dominate games. Something which I think is the biggest issue, since United's squad may be worse than Liverpool's and City's, but it's not 1ppg bad.