g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Away form

Treble

Away form so far (updated after Watford):

City 21
Chelsea 16
Watford 13
Spurs 12
United 11
Burnley 11
Liverpool 8
Arsenal 7

Why has our away form been a bit poor?

It isn't poor anymore?

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Jepp we have struggled a lot going forward in away games in the league.
It is a big concern I think cause we need to play well away from home as well to fight for the title.

I had hoped that we would step up today, but the opposite did happen.

Sterling Archer

This did need more attention when all the whining was going on about our setup at Anfield. But I also wonder if this too would have improved without the key injuries to Bailly and Pogba.

Treble

The away form seems bad.

Away:

Burnley 11 pts
Watford 10 pts
United 8 pts

Treble

The trend continues.

3 losses in the last 4 away games. The win came in the league cup.

Watford away and Arsenal away will be huge for our league campaign. 4 pts will be good.

DRM

The trend continues.

3 losses in the last 4 away games. The win came in the league cup.

Watford away and Arsenal away will be huge for our league campaign. 4 pts will be good.
I think we'll get 1.
Silva will get one over Mourinho and we might just get away with a point at the Emirates.

Jose has made Old Trafford a fortress again, after the very poor home form under Moyes and LVG, but the away form definitely needs to improve, especially in the big games. These days I never expect to win at one of the top clubs, and we seem to make hard work of it against the rest. I think we lack the mental toughness we used to have on the road.

Marcky411

The away form seems bad.
Away:

Burnley 11 pts
Watford 10 pts
United 8 pts
Our away form is actually pathetic and if your tactics are to park the bus and counter attack, I am fine with that too but we have seen Utd parked the bus and not even try to attack, only hoof the ball forward into no man's land. (Liverpool, clearly going for the point). A lot of excuses were made/insinuated about the injuries we had at the time but what was the excuse for the second half at Basel. With these type of tactics and/or mental weakness we are still a long way away from winning the league, as much as that hurts to say.

The United

Jose has made Old Trafford a fortress again, after the very poor home form under Moyes and LVG, but the away form definitely needs to improve, especially in the big games. These days I never expect to win at one of the top clubs, and we seem to make hard work of it against the rest. I think we lack the mental toughness we used to have on the road.
I don't really think we had a poor form at home under LVG.

For away form, is it because of the mental toughness or just being extremely caution or the tactic just does not suit the general playing style of the squad?

I really don't know. It is a bit early and we will know more in jan I think.

Hellboy

I don't really think we had a poor form at home under LVG.

For away form, is it because of the mental toughness or just being extremely caution or the tactic just does not suit the general playing style of the squad?

I really don't know. It is a bit early and we will know more in jan I think.
Are you for real ? It was probably the worst United team at Old Trafford for decades :lol:

Treble

Our away form wasn't bad last season - 35 pts - only 3 pts less than City, same with Liverpool and 2 more than Spurs. The huge difference with Spurs came from our bad home form. Still, we have to win about 40 pts away to compete for the title.

For our last title (12/13) we won 41 pts away. That was the big difference with City, home form was almost identical to theirs. We won 48 pts at home that season.

Last edited:

Treble

Our home form under LVG was 3rd in the league season 14/15 and 2nd season 15/16. Last season was our worst at OT since Moyes. Moyes won almost as many poits away as Jose last season but at home it was shocking - 30 pts from 57 :houllier:

The United

Are you for real ? It was probably the worst United team at Old Trafford for decades :lol:
It really was not.

I am too lazy to pull all stats but I will do the easy one just to get some idea.

In EPL

2014/15 Played 19 W 14 D 2 L 3. 5 points behind champion, Chelsea.
2015/16 Played 19 W 12 D 5 L 2. 1 point behind champion, Leicester City.

Under Jose

2016/17 Played 19 W 8 D 10 L 1 . 17 points behind champion, Chelsea and 19 points behind Spur who had the best H results.

So yeah lol.

P.S looking at those stats, last season was pretty shit for a manager with excellent home records. Weird season.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Annoying.. Last year the home form was shit, while they were excellent away.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It really was not.

I am too lazy to pull all stats but I will do the easy one just to get some idea.

In EPL

2014/15 Played 19 W 14 D 2 L 3. 5 points behind champion, Chelsea.
2015/16 Played 19 W 12 D 5 L 2. 1 point behind champion, Leicester City.

Under Jose

2016/17 Played 19 W 8 D 10 L 1 . 17 points behind champion, Chelsea and 19 points behind Spur who had the best H results.

So yeah lol.

P.S looking at those stats, last season was pretty shit for a manager with excellent home records. Weird season.
Our home record last season was ruined by all those silly draws against shite opposition. In games where we were massively dominant and created a shit-load of chances (or consistently had loads more xG than the opposition, for any football hipsters reading). That was an anomaly that was always going to correct itself.

Sod’s fecking law that normal service resuming at home has coincided with the wheels coming off on the road but we’ll just have to hope it’s a temporary issue.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You fundamentally lack quality and this forces your gameplan to be too defensive when playing away or against a big team. That said, it is very rare for any team, ever the best, to dominate away games the manner many of you would expect to: other than quality, it is personality and that comes from having won a lot of trophies and therefore intimidating oppos and their fans. Third factor is hunger, which home players have in abundance when competing against a big brand like you.

iKeano

He plays 7 at the back away, that’s why the football is grim and lesser teams get invited on to have a go.
Two wingbacks that don’t press forward enough.
Three at the back, unable to play a pass in front of someone (Room aside the other night)
Two defensive midfielders sitting so deep they’re an extra 2 at the back.
Lukaku isolated upfront with minimal link up play between packed defence and lone striker.

It’s like José huffed when Pogba got injured so he took his ball and headed home “not playing” anymore. Been so negative away, teams can smell blood and have a go.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don’t think too much can be taken into it just yet, bar the disastrous game against Huddersfield we’ve had some tough away games in Liverpool and Chelsea, won at Swansea & Southampton and then drew at Stoke (which now also looks a bad result). We’ve won 2 of our 3 away games in Europe and won away in our League Cup tie

We’ve got two more tough away games to come so the record might not get any better in the near future

Siorac

Moyes was far worse. Our home record that season was 9-3-7.

LVG's team was shit to watch but 14-2-3 and 12-5-2 aren't spectacularly bad home records or anything. It's about on par for a team in and around the top 4.

Treble

Updated. Watford in top 3 :eek: Much of City's lead is down to their away form: 7 consecutive wins.

Ole'sbodyguard

The biggest concern with United's away form is that under Mourinho the best side we have beaten away from home in EPL in terms of their Premiership place was Bournemouth who finished ninth last season. After them we also beaten WBA, West Ham and Leicester who finished 10th, 11th and 12th respectively. In all honesty, the best team we have beaten away under Mourinho would probably be either Benfica or CSKA and our best actual away results have been the nil nils with Liverpool and City.

If we beat Watford tonight, you could make a case for it being our best away win in the EPL under Mourninho so far. This is the area we need to improve in markedly.