Axel Tuanzebe | 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

Hopefully the start of a clear out.
Another player victim of our poor management. It was clear he wasn't going to make it here he had a chance to stay with Aston Villa yet by some reason we didn't want to sell him and rather had him rotting on the bench for years.

At the end we end up with no payment and wasting wages and he wasted really important years of his career. He couldve been a solid player in the league, I don't he'll get anything above championship at this time.

Velvet Revolver

Another player victim of our poor management. It was clear he wasn't going to make it here he had a chance to stay with Aston Villa yet by some reason we didn't want to sell him and rather had him rotting on the bench for years.

At the end we end up with no payment and wasting wages and he wasted really important years of his career. He couldve been a solid player in the league, I don't he'll get anything above championship at this time.
I think this is where SAF excelled as a manager. To let players go and find future elsewhere instead of letting them waste their prime years trying to do the impossible. we've had too many of such players in the past decade.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Given the number of injuries and out of form players we've had in central defense, I think, if he had trained decently well, he'd have gotten more than a fair chance to play.

SAFMUTD

I think this is where SAF excelled as a manager. To let players go and find future elsewhere instead of letting them waste their prime years trying to do the impossible. we've had too many of such players in the past decade.
People are way too sentimental we tend to keep our youngsters for more time than needed even when they're not getting playing time.

If by the time they're 20-21 they're not getting at least minutes as subs it's highly probable that then won't make it. As I said that ends up hurting us and the player, moving those players to lower teams secure us a fee and gives the player higher playing chances and increases their chances to make it in the EPL or high level football.

Players like these include Elanga, Brandon Williams, Mengi, Bernard, Laird, etc

They're not even getting in the bench or not excelling in their loans. The smart call is to sell them, if management think they're a gamble and actually may become ManUtd quality then sell with a buy back clause. But don't keep them here for another 2-3 years just to let them go for free when they're 23-24 and with no first team football experience.

SAFMUTD

Given the number of injuries and out of form players we've had in central defense, I think, if he had trained decently well, he'd have gotten more than a fair chance to play.
He was never even close to being 3rd choice. Truth is he was never good enough for it and we all knew it. Maybe without the injuries or whatever but it's been at least 3-4 years since his status as a promising player changed to "meh"

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
People are way too sentimental we tend to keep our youngsters for more time than needed even when they're not getting playing time.

If by the time they're 20-21 they're not getting at least minutes as subs it's highly probable that then won't make it. As I said that ends up hurting us and the player, moving those players to lower teams secure us a fee and gives the player higher playing chances and increases their chances to make it in the EPL or high level football.

They're not even getting in the bench or not excelling in their loans. The smart call is to sell them, if management think they're a gamble and actually may become ManUtd quality then sell with a buy back clause. But don't keep them here for another 2-3 years just to let them go for free when they're 23-24 and with no first team football experience.
I really think it’s had more to do with keeping our wage bill amongst the highest in the world to protect the owners from the criticism that they aren’t spending enough. It’s why they kept trying to renew everybody who wanted to stay and signing old strikers for free but on really big wages. It’s definitely not a footballing decision. A really young person on their first save of FM knows to clear out the United squad and buy 3 or 4 second or third contract starters. We have had so much waste. It’s incredible. A thesis in how to not run a successful sporting organisation from a sporting perspective. They simply allowed everyone and everything around them to become stagnant and the opposition flew up past us on every tangible metric.

Last edited:

Velvet Revolver

Exactly. If a manager does not see a player being in their squad what good does it to keep them around. And we've had a fair few managers who have not fancied him so it was quite obvious where his future lied. we could have atleast gotten 10-15 mil.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We need to stop forcing through every average home grown player. Tuanzebe and Henderson had good loans but never looked like top talents, should've sold them and profited 50m combined rather than bring them back as backups. Sell them for their own good, don't waste them away. Garner at least we sold though not for much.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

We’ve been ruinous of young players in recent years. Really poor caretaking of young men.

There’s probably an aspect of overpaying wages to sweeten it, but we used to allow young players to leave and see them be successful elsewhere instead of hoard them as assets on a balance sheet.

I really hope we rework that principle and continue to be a pipeline of talent to other clubs and not just our own. I thought that Jose might start monetising our academy a lot more, in the same way that he happily let the likes of Salah and KdB leave. That pair are world class and easy to see as mistakes, but they would likely not have become as good as they are had they been kept around for years, pushed out on useless loans forever.

Gillespie, Butt, Brown, O’Shea and so many others were allowed to leave and pursue a full career. Of late, we’ve just held players as well paid prisoners.

There may be a path through that sees us sell players and install buy back clauses or first refusal options. Unsure whether the league allows such things. But we need to do a lot better.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Well, at least we started not doing it to Garner last year.

SAFMUTD

We’ve been ruinous of young players in recent years. Really poor caretaking of young men.

There’s probably an aspect of overpaying wages to sweeten it, but we used to allow young players to leave and see them be successful elsewhere instead of hoard them as assets on a balance sheet.

I really hope we rework that principle and continue to be a pipeline of talent to other clubs and not just our own. I thought that Jose might start monetising our academy a lot more, in the same way that he happily let the likes of Salah and KdB leave. That pair are world class and easy to see as mistakes, but they would likely not have become as good as they are had they been kept around for years, pushed out on useless loans forever.

Gillespie, Butt, Brown, O’Shea and so many others were allowed to leave and pursue a full career. Of late, we’ve just held players as well paid prisoners.

There may be a path through that sees us sell players and install buy back clauses or first refusal options. Unsure whether the league allows such things. But we need to do a lot better.
It's allowed, I remember Chelsea having it with Ake and Guehi.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's just been ruined by injuries, not sure how people think we mismanaged him. The lad got some fantastic loans and just couldn't stay fit - hope he can stay injury free and make a good career.

OldTrevil

Another highly talented player whose United career is ruined by mismanagement and injury at critical periods in his journey. A joy to watch when everything clicked. I hope he gets it all together and excels somewhere

Castia

The type of player we should have been getting a fee for

We hold onto this type of player for too long he should have gone after his Villa loan.

Wrecking ralf

Could have been a decent player if he could stay fit. Pretty sure he’s been injured for most of his loan at Stoke hasn’t he. Not much we can do to help progress him or even sell him if he’s constant injured.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Another highly talented player whose United career is ruined by mismanagement and injury at critical periods in his journey. A joy to watch when everything clicked. I hope he gets it all together and excels somewhere
Agreed.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I don't disagree at all, but those three are strange examples to use, as they all broke into the first team and spent the majority of their careers at United, leaving only when they started showing signs of decline.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The type of player we should have been getting a fee for

We hold onto this type of player for too long he should have gone after his Villa loan.
My Villa supporting friends thought that he was a better CB than Mings when they were both there, in fact they said they would love to have signed him permanently, but thought he would come back for their EPL season on loan, which, in hindsight, would have been ideal.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't disagree at all, but those three are strange examples to use, as they all broke into the first team and spent the majority of their careers at United, leaving only when they started showing signs of decline.
Yes and No. they all left at a point that they wanted to play first team football elsewhere. We didn’t just keep them on for shits n giggles. They all played another 7 years after leaving. That’s half a career.

But yeah, probably could have tried harder for better examples.

Gandalf

That is one perspective but honestly after his loan to Villa in the championship there were a lot of people thinking he was a future Captain here and demanding he be integrated. We would have sold him if any of his other loans had worked out but leaving sentimentality out of it he proved to be nowhere near good enough last season at Villa or Napoli. He was available then in the summer but got injured early on and has been unfit for most of the season anfd has been unable to even make the bench at Stoke even when he is fit. Our Management of him might not have been stellar but the truth is that this is how the vast majority of promising youngsters end up at any club.

SAFMUTD

That is one perspective but honestly after his loan to Villa in the championship there were a lot of people thinking he was a future Captain here and demanding he be integrated. We would have sold him if any of his other loans had worked out but leaving sentimentality out of it he proved to be nowhere near good enough last season at Villa or Napoli. He was available then in the summer but got injured early on and has been unfit for most of the season anfd has been unable to even make the bench at Stoke even when he is fit. Our Management of him might not have been stellar but the truth is that this is how the vast majority of promising youngsters end up at any club.
That great season with Villa in the championship was how many years ago? 5?

We could had moved him after, I remember Villa had interest for him after. At the end it became a lose-lose situation.

I don't think most youngsters end up being released as 25 year old. If anything they're released at 20-21.

Marwood

Butt, Brown and O'Shea were all lates 20's when they left. Or older maybe? Not really comparable to keeping a young player against his will.

But Tuanzebes problem hasn't been management, it's been injuries. He's nigh on constantly injured. Very difficult therefore to develop him ourselves or loan/sell him.

And I'm sure he's not felt like a prisoner earning what he has. I doubt he'll ever earn that kind of money again in his career.

kundalini

Tuanzebe has made 16 PL starts, of which 3 were as a DM, one as a right back, one as a left back. Of his 11 PL starts as a CB, 6 came in his last loan at Villa.

I find it difficult to believe that United would have got much for him had we put him up for sale at any point in time. He has always been potential. In theory he looked like he could be a great player but in reality he was injured and made too many mistakes in his limited playing time.

Even his Championship appearances include quite a few at right-back. The Villa team that got promoted conceded more goals than I'd expect.

Maybe we missed out on £6m.

Sylar

Will always remember a great performance against psg and especially at times v mbappe

SAFMUTD

Butt, Brown and O'Shea were all lates 20's when they left. Or older maybe? Not really comparable to keeping a young player against his will.

But Tuanzebes problem hasn't been management, it's been injuries. He's nigh on constantly injured. Very difficult therefore to develop him ourselves or loan/sell him.

And I'm sure he's not felt like a prisoner earning what he has. I doubt he'll ever earn that kind of money again in his career.
He'll most likely won't have a career at any top league. Sure injuries could have happened anywhere but the fact we didn't gave him minutes when he was available (not that he deserved them) plus the fact that he's injury prone doesn't body well.

Sadly I don't think any club from top leagues will be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.