[B]Glazer's Beaten Blues to Kid Adu[/B]

appooOnU

The Hairdryer said:
You sure? I don't think that's possible. Under FIFA rules only a registered Football Club is allowed to hold the players International Registration and Contract. A football league can't hold either, nor can a business such as Nike.
MLS holds the contracts of all its players, not the club. It was MLS, not the Chicago Fire, who rejected contract offers from Southamton and other before finally allowing DaMarcus Beasley to leave for PSV. It was also MLS money which brought Landon Donovan to MLS.

appooOnU

The Hairdryer said:
He certainly won't be the next Pele that's for sure. In fact, I don't think he'll be even half the player.
if he's half as good as Pele, he'll still be a very good player

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
He admitted: "It is very, very, very, very tempting to look at playing elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I'm doing that right now.

"I always have to make the best decision for myself first and I'm just looking into things right now.

"We'll see what happens at the end of the season and see where my family and myself are heading."

-------------------------------------------

Nowhere in this does it imply he's made a decission to play for United.

I didn't see a single quote suggesting that Glazer has secured anything other than a good stroking.

appooOnU

Looking Busy said:
I think the story probably is bollocks but as with every FIFA ruling there is a way round it.
Chelsea should know that
no one has been able to do so yet.

The only way "around" it would be to have an EU passport....which is how Giovanni Dos Santos and Lionel Messi play for Barca.

Looking Busy

appooOnU said:
no one has been able to do so yet.

The only way "around" it would be to have an EU passport....which is how Giovanni Dos Santos and Lionel Messi play for Barca.
The passport thing isn't a problem. Look at Dong whathisname. He would get near our first yet anyway

moonhead

appooOnU said:
He can't transfer to a different country until he is 18 as per FIFA laws

He only claims to be 16, he is actually 24 according to his 'real' birth certificate, So we should be fine. :)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fabian Brandy > Freddy Adu

What would be the point of signing Adu anyway? He wont want to come here and play at u18 level and he is not better than Rossi, Blake, Campbell or Brandy so he would be a long, long way away from even getting a sniff at United...unless Glazer tried to strong arm Fergie...which would just not work.

Looking Busy

Fortitude said:

What would be the point of signing Adu anyway? He wont want to come here and play at u18 level and he is not better than Rossi, Blake, Campbell or Brandy so he would be a long, long way away from even getting a sniff at United...unless Glazer tried to strong arm Fergie...which would just not work.
He's not going to get first team football at a high level anywhere in Europe but if he's to develop into the player people believe he will he needs to work with the highest standard coaches

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
FFS...he's only 16. Seems everyone hates him for 1) being overhyped and 2) playing for the US.

Geez-us.

Give him 2-3 years with a top European club playing in their reserves (or on loan to a lesser side where he can get first team play) while developing with European coaching, and he could turn out a pretty darn good player.

Thing is, would Freddy sacrifice playing in a first team status to better his game with a reserve side and/or on loan to a lesser European club? If he's truly wanting to become a world class player, then he should not have any qualms over doing such. But he also has other voices that will interfere, all worrying about their investment and not the long term benefit and the player's development, which could yield more fruitful returns 10 years from now.

appooOnU

Fortitude said:

have you seen Freddy play? I've at least seen a few these youngsters for United play through various internet sources if only through highlites.

Freddy's talent is real. Make no mistake about that. He's got the entire retoire as an attacking midfielder/forward/winger. All he needs is seasoning so he can put in consistent performances. Watch him play when he is on his game. It's pretty amazing.

just an example of what Adu can do

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
appooOnU said:
have you seen Freddy play? I've at least seen a few these youngsters for United play through various internet sources if only through highlites.

Freddy's talent is real. Make no mistake about that. He's got the entire retoire as an attacking midfielder/forward/winger. All he needs is seasoning so he can put in consistent performances. Watch him play when he is on his game. It's pretty amazing.

just an example of what Adu can do

Yep I've followed him since the hype machine was unfairly started. Have you seen Brandy play? Similar ages and I would put Brandy over Adu. My point is that Adu has been unfairly propelled into the limelight and complains about playing time...in the MLS... would his ego allow him to come to United and play at under 17 level with Brandy? He isn't better than Campbell and he most certainly isn't at the level of either Blake or Rossi so he would have 2yrs here of being a relative nobody..could he handle that? Would his sponsers even allow for that to happen? Could he handle being judged and possibly not promoted as quickly as Brandy? etc... That is my point.

redjoe

If anyone finds a spare clue please pm it to me
First off, drop all the anti yank shite,he was actually born in Ghana, judge the player on his merits.I imagine most people on here like myself haven't even seen him play.

Better people than some of the wankers on here tell me very good things about the lad, granted he is playing in a crap league, but what is the worst thing that could happen, we sign him and he fails, sell him, his hype will always ensure he is an attractive option to any team.We could sign him, iron out his rough edges, unleash him in a couple of seasons and he could be a world beater.If he helped us tap into the US market, then bonus, we have been trying to tap into that particular market pre Glazer, hence the pre season tours and contracts with baseball teams.

In the past we have been too slow coming forward, Rio and Robben being perfect examples, we need to take chances.

red thru&thru

Fortitude said:
Yep I've followed him since the hype machine was unfairly started. Have you seen Brandy play? Similar ages and I would put Brandy over Adu. My point is that Adu has been unfairly propelled into the limelight and complains about playing time...in the MLS... would his ego allow him to come to United and play at under 17 level with Brandy? He isn't better than Campbell and he most certainly isn't at the level of either Blake or Rossi so he would have 2yrs here of being a relative nobody..could he handle that? Would his sponsers even allow for that to happen? Could he handle being judged and possibly not promoted as quickly as Brandy? etc... That is my point.

are you for real? how is brandy better than adu?

the only player you can compare to adu, in recent years, to any 16 y old is rooney.

adu is used to playing against men, although maybe lower standars, but he's got that experience. i believe if we do ever get adu he will be in and aound the first team a lot before brandy would.

brandy good talent, but his physical size goes against him at the mo.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
red thru&thru said:
are you for real? how is brandy better than adu?.
I've seen a better awareness and footballing brain AND technique from Brandy with next to no hype compared to Adu. I'd tip Brandy for the very top before Adu every time. Furthermore he is getting top level coaching which will only accelerate this.

red thru&thru said:
the only player you can compare to adu, in recent years, to any 16 y old is rooney.
:lol: you have to be kidding.

red thru&thru said:
adu is used to playing against men, although maybe lower standars, but he's got that experience. i believe if we do ever get adu he will be in and aound the first team a lot before brandy would.

brandy good talent, but his physical size goes against him at the mo.
The MLS is equvielent to division 2 at best. Experience playing there is nothing like the English game. Brandy has a size quite typical for his age, but it isn't a big deal because he will grow and fill out in the next few years. Adu would not be playing in a team above Brandy if he came here. He is not of reserve striker standard and he is not better then our u-18 players. If anything if he came here he'd be in the same team as Brandy and I don't think he'd out perform him. It would be nice to get him and put him through the academy, but people expecting to see him in our abouts our first team anytime before 2yrs are having a laugh.. The media hype machine would not allow that to happen as it hurts their profit having Adu playing u-18 football..so this kid will never developt into what he could be without eating a little humble pie and going to a big club who can teach him and not force his development by playing him prematurely to meet commercial demands.

kleberson_

CremboMan said:
I don't like it.
A chairman/owner buying players is never a good thing, no matter who he signs.
Sure does work pretty good for chelsea doesn't it :8

appooOnU

Fortitude said:
The MLS is equvielent to division 2 at best. Experience playing there is nothing like the English game. Brandy has a size quite typical for his age, but it isn't a big deal because he will grow and fill out in the next few years. Adu would not be playing in a team above Brandy if he came here. He is not of reserve striker standard and he is not better then our u-18 players. If anything if he came here he'd be in the same team as Brandy and I don't think he'd out perform him. It would be nice to get him and put him through the academy, but people expecting to see him in our abouts our first team anytime before 2yrs are having a laugh.. The media hype machine would not allow that to happen as it hurts their profit having Adu playing u-18 football..so this kid will never developt into what he could be without eating a little humble pie and going to a big club who can teach him and not force his development by playing him prematurely to meet commercial demands.
According to Bobby Convey, one of the better performing players in the Championship this year, MLS teams could hang with most Championship sides.

look, no one is saying Adu will be the world's greatest. But he's got a bucketful of talent, and the sky is the limit. There is no reason to not take an interest in him if your Manchester United...especially since this is a club that tends to build from through youth.

There is NO transfer fee involved btw. Unless MLS manage to extend his contract (something which I doubt will happen), Freddy will be a Bosman when he turns 18. He'll be able to play for anyone he wants.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
appooOnU said:
According to Bobby Convey, one of the better performing players in the Championship this year, MLS teams could hang with most Championship sides.

look, no one is saying Adu will be the world's greatest. But he's got a bucketful of talent, and the sky is the limit. There is no reason to not take an interest in him if your Manchester United...especially since this is a club that tends to build from through youth.

There is NO transfer fee involved btw. Unless MLS manage to extend his contract (something which I doubt will happen), Freddy will be a Bosman when he turns 18. He'll be able to play for anyone he wants.
I don't disagree with you. I just think it is important to remove the hype machine and let the kid get on with it. His sponsers will no be happy with him doing an apprenticeship at u-18 level though and that either means Glazer will try and impose him on the 1st team squad.... or, he won't be coming here.

MrMarcello

Fortitude, if Adu were with the United reserves, he wouldn't be a striker like Brandy. In fact, he's not a striker with DC United. He's an AM/LW/LF/"HOLE" type. He'd be playing behind the strikers or on the left wing or an in advanced left side role similar to Rooney.

It's also probable that Adu's development as a footballer would be more advanced right now had he spent that last 18-24 months in the United youth academy. He could very well be the big star on the U18 or even nearing a Reserve team squad number, if not already in the squad.

MrMarcello

appooOnU said:
There might be a tribunal/development fee similar to the youngsters United have prized away when their contracts run out. I'm not sure what rules FIFA and/or MLS have for players under age 21 or 23 that leave when their pro contract end.

appooOnU

Fortitude said:
I don't disagree with you. I just think it is important to remove the hype machine and let the kid get on with it. His sponsers will no be happy with him doing an apprenticeship at u-18 level though and that either means Glazer will try and impose him on the 1st team squad.... or, he won't be coming here.
I agree that playing for a U18 squad is not what Nike wants (any other sponser is meaningless)...but he won't be U18 when he joins a European club.
he'll be 18 or 19.

I haven't really pushed this issue much because Freddy is just 16, and he still has 2 years worth of development left in MLS.

again, he is 16. I've closely watched him play this season (and since I'm probably only one of 3 or 4 posters here who follow MLS, I've probably watched him play more than almost anyone here) and he's had some absolutly amazing matches. He is inconsistent - which is what I expect from one so young. But he is TALENTED. When he is playing well, he is far and a way the best attacking player in a league that has some good attacking talent like Donovan, Dorkjaeff, Ronnie O'Brien, and some other pretty good players. Let me list his talents:

Vision - simply put, he can see things before they happen. He's good an excellent feel for the game and an excellent sense of anticipation with the ball at his feet.

Passing - He's a very good passer. He can cross it with pace or touch, and he can deliever both long and short balls. Combine that with his vision, and it's why most people believe his future is as an attacking midfielder. However, he still makes stupid mistakes, I'll get to that later with his decision making.

Creativity - just look at the clip above. He's got loads of it. Before, he would so these things for the sake of doing, he's starting to learn to use his creatvity to change the game however.

Dribbling and touch - almost unmatched. seriously. His close control is laughably good. At any pace. Again, look at the clip above. Last year he was muscled off the ball a lot. Over the winter, he gained 20 pounds of muscle and now he does better in keeping the ball. In one of his goals he simply shrugged off a defender and kept going. But an area thats in need of improvement. He needs to get stronger.

Shooting - Last season, it was simply average. This year, he's developed a cannon. He's scored goals from 25 yards out. Accurate, powerful, and he can curve them. He's not very good in the air, but then he's rather short. Within the box, he's merely an average finisher, with the ability to be above average. For some reason, he has a tendency to shoot right at the keeper rather than placing it in a corner. Actually, I **** thats an American thing. A highly frustrating American thing Mind you.

Decision making - this is where he gets into a bit of trouble. Sometimes, it's like he doesn't think out there. He'll be lazy with his dribbling on occasaion and allow defenders to disposses him (something that shouldn't really happen with his ability), and he'll make stupid passes. Really, he's something of an inconsistent player. For now, I blame that on youth and inexperience.

Attitude - A question mark. He's an intense competitor and is ambitious. He wants to be the best player he can be and he wants to be among the best in the world. Really, this has nothing to with Pele and everything to do with something all great athletes have. Desire. Why do I shrug off Rooney's amger issues? because it stems fro his desire to compete and win. I'll take that. This intensity is what led to his frustration with DC United's coach, Piotr Nowak. He mouthed off to the media about lack of playing time and earned himself a one match suspension. I didn't like the timing of the situation, but I don't neccasarily mind him saying it, and I appluad him for wanting to play and compete. Once he matures emptionally, I think he'll beecone a highly driven player, who will do everythign in his power to become the best player he can become and help out his club as much as he can

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
"I can't even get a game with DC United, sell me NOW. I will command a spot playing for Chelsea or Manchester."

Visions of grandeur.

:houllier:

Well if Chelsea ever do sign him maybe Essien can convince him to play in a national team where people actually know what football is. ;)

scops

i saw a goal of his last week, was a sweet one, even rooney would say nice one freddy.

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Difference between Adu and Rooney is that Rooney actually looks like Shrek, same size an all. Tinkerbell dwarfs Adu.

appooOnU

Bodzilla said:
"I can't even get a game with DC United, sell me NOW. I will command a spot playing for Chelsea or Manchester."

Visions of grandeur.

:houllier:

Well if Chelsea ever do sign him maybe Essien can convince him to play in a national team where people actually know what football is. ;)
a bit more to it then that. If you want, I'll post the article from the Washington Post

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Washington Post knows as much about football as a polar bear.

Freddy wants to be the man, at 16. If he isn't careful his head will pop.

appooOnU

Bodzilla said:
Washington Post knows as much about football as a polar bear.

Freddy wants to be the man, at 16. If he isn't careful his head will pop.
I mean to read Freddy's comments....

I think its a good thing that he has such high demands of himself

appooOnU

Bodzilla said:
Why? They are unrealistic.
because he works hard to achieve those lofty goals. whether he reachs them or not his dedication to become a better player is commendable

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
appooOnU said:
because he works hard to achieve those lofty goals. whether he reachs them or not his dedication to become a better player is commendable
Nobody is belittling his work ethic, lots of egotistic people have great work ethic.

The kid is 16 and thinks he is bigger then his own league. That is startling, to be honest.

appooOnU

Bodzilla said:
Nobody is belittling his work ethic, lots of egotistic people have great work ethic.

The kid is 16 and thinks he is bigger then his own league. That is startling, to be honest.
this is the first time he's said anything CLOSE to this divisive before. He's a frustrated kid who's looking to get on the field.