Television Babylon 5 Reboot - The CW

Helder-Carvalho

The beloved Babylon 5 is getting rebooted, and series creator JMS is running the show

In a from-the-ground-up reboot of the original series, John Sheridan, an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?

How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road. So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something fresh yet familiar. To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.

How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

The original Babylon 5 was ridiculously innovative: the first to use CGI to create ships and characters, and among the very first to shoot widescreen with a vigorous 5.1 mix. Most of all, for the first time, Babylon 5 introduced viewers accustomed to episodic television to the concept of a five-year arc with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end…creating a brand new paradigm for television storytelling that has subsequently become the norm. That tradition for innovation will continue in this new iteration, and I hope to create additional new forms of storytelling that will further push the television medium to the edge of what’s possible.

Let me conclude by just saying how supportive and enthusiastic everyone at the CW has been and is being with this project. They understand the unique position Babylon 5 occupies both in television and with its legions of fans, and are doing everything they can to ensure the maximum in creative freedom, a new story that will bring in new viewers while honoring all that has come before.

Onward!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Of course it's a reboot, ffs... why continue most intelligent sci-fi show that gave Star Trek solid run for their money.

I'll still watch and let it rape me inside like Picard & Discovery did.

Gandalf

A reboot is really the only way to bring it back bearing in mind JMS has tried continuations and spin offs repeatedly for over 20 years without any real success. The only way to get a major studio on board was to go back to the beginning and start over. JMS has already referenced that this being over 25 years on from when he originally wrote the show it will be significantly changed and will reflect contemporary themes and his own growth as a writer which has clearly been evident in shows like Sense8. He particularly referenced the difference between the old school Battlestar Galactica and the 2004 revival.

I am personally excited by the idea that he might get to tell a complete story without the issues that plagued the original series and the miniscule budgets that first run cable shows operated under in the nineties. The tragic health issues of Michael O'Hare essentially caused him to rewrite his original idea at the end of season 1 to introduce a different lead actor and then the expected cancellation at the end of Season 4 meant that the final season arc got compressed into the last few episodes of Season 4 only for them to then get a last minute reprieve and again have to essentially invent on the fly a plotline for Season 5.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The creator of the original is the same guy in charge of this one, have faith...
Allright, I'll be man of faith and since mr Straczynski is somehow still in charge, I believe he won't mess with designs of ships since they were perfect even with limited CGI back then.

Setting a bar for absolute minimum, but I'll be happy if it's achieved.

Dr. StrangeHate

Of course it's a reboot, ffs... why continue most intelligent sci-fi show that gave Star Trek solid run for their money.

I'll still watch and let it rape me inside like Picard & Discovery did.
Discovery is really bad. Piccard isn't too bad.

Ibi Dreams

Very interested in this, as someone who hasn't seen the original. Heard really good things, but it's a bit difficult to get past how dated it looks and feels

Helder-Carvalho

From the mouth of the Great Maker himself:

Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something fresh yet familiar. To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.

How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

Bobski

That title, Babylon 5 reboot-The CW takes me from a moment of joy to the opposite.

B5 was better than DS9 and I loved DS9.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Discovery is really bad. Piccard isn't too bad.
In comparison to Discovery, Russian propaganda movies about Stalin is state of the art.

Picard was bearable, just not memorable and from what I've seen season 2 will drop two antagonists from cast which makes their characters pointless... Babylon 5 was something else and they about to drop some characters too.

I'll try to be positive and give it a go, but most of latest sci-fi series is just such forgettable experience. Totally missing the point how to captivate the audience for more than few scenes.

Dr. StrangeHate

In comparison to Discovery, Russian propaganda movies about Stalin is state of the art.

Picard was bearable, just not memorable and from what I've seen season 2 will drop two antagonists from cast which makes their characters pointless... Babylon 5 was something else and they about to drop some characters too.

I'll try to be positive and give it a go, but most of latest sci-fi series is just such forgettable experience. Totally missing the point how to captivate the audience for more than few scenes.
Previously Sci-Fi needed to captivate audiences with story and new concepts, now it seems they have all become Marvel movie lite. Fringe was great and so is The Expanse.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Previously Sci-Fi needed to captivate audiences with story and new concepts, now it seems they have all become Marvel movie lite. Fringe was great and so is The Expanse.
Yup this is why rebooting Babylon 5 successfully could be almost impossible in terms of difficulty, as the expectations should be highest not only from the fact it's THE Babylon 5 they're trying recreate, but there are some decent show out there like The Expanse who made things right while being somewhat in a shadow of cult classic that became Babylon 5.

I'd rather have somewhat flawed sequel or less interesting spinoff than modern take on something that was perfectly created for the 90s. It was fresh, it wasn't pretentious as hardly anyone knew about it and was perfect alternative to more known shows like Stargate SG-1.

stevoc

Yup this is why rebooting Babylon 5 successfully could be almost impossible in terms of difficulty, as the expectations should be highest not only from the fact it's THE Babylon 5 they're trying recreate, but there are some decent show out there like The Expanse who made things right while being somewhat in a shadow of cult classic that became Babylon 5.

I'd rather have somewhat flawed sequel or less interesting spinoff than modern take on something that was perfectly created for the 90s. It was fresh, it wasn't pretentious as hardly anyone knew about it and was perfect alternative to more known shows like Stargate SG-1.
Wasn't Babylon 5 out before Stargate?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wasn't Babylon 5 out before Stargate?
Yes, both shows from the 90s just like X-Files or Space Above and Beyond. My point Babylon 5 wasn't as popular as other but was simply more interesting than most which was quite difficult back in a day. The movie Stargate was from the same year as Babylon 5.

Speaking of Space Above and Beyond actually this could use a reboot that would lead it's storyline to conclusion as it was viciously cancelled after 1st season. This is probably one instance where reboot would have functional purpose.

parkthebuslads

As a big B5 fan, the thought of the franchise getting the Picard treatment and being butchered is really rather painful.

However, despite the original being so good, there is a lot that could have been done better and the universe is rich enough for this to have potential, particularly with the involvement of JMS. So whilst I would have preferred a continuation or better yet, the technomage trilogy being brought to life, I am cautiously optimistic.

Speaking of Space Above and Beyond actually this could use a reboot that would lead it's storyline to conclusion as it was viciously cancelled after 1st season. This is probably one instance where reboot would have functional purpose.
I remember feeling that the ending, which presumably was influenced by the shows cancellation, was the perfect note to end the show on, given it's anti war narative.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As a big B5 fan, the thought of the franchise getting the Picard treatment and being butchered is really rather painful.

However, despite the original being so good, there is a lot that could have been done better and the universe is rich enough for this to have potential, particularly with the involvement of JMS. So whilst I would have preferred a continuation or better yet, the technomage trilogy being brought to life, I am cautiously optimistic.
Despite everything I hate about reboots, things did got interesting since the announcement. It's probably happier news than just dead silence on Babylon 5 front since so many years, however Straczynski will have to possess full control and not sure the CW network will allow that without few of their suggestions. I remember Lynch's trouble and constant fight so he could create Twin Peaks 3rd season without intermediary chaos and no influence from people who didn't understand what he tried to achieve.

Technomage adaptation would be perfect. I honestly didn't mind Crusade, even with general opinion it was weaker without too much character, it was still Straczynski creating new things. Perhaps this reboot will re-establish B5 and with success, just maybe other projects will emerge like Technomage.

I remember feeling that the ending, which presumably was influenced by the shows cancellation, was the perfect note to end the show on, given it's anti war narative.
This is interesting, I never thought that way about the obvious cliffhanger. Ending definitely felt the war could be won in slight other way than annihilation... could end with earth experimenting on aliens too.

At somepoint it had potential to become another classic as Battlestar Galactica, it definitely deserved better treatment, in my opinion better than Firefly at some point which got a movie to gel the story into somekind of ending.

Bole Top

two or three days ago I was actually considering opening the thread about original show, as I'm in the middle of the the 5th season and it's my first watch, almost 30 years too late. of course I'll watch it, but I'm honestly expecting it to fail badly. I don't think the show in its core is "compatible" with modern audience so I'm expecting a fair bit of butchering of pretty much everything.