Back up to Pogba?!

Theonas

Scout
We shouldn't be looking for a pogba back up and adding more dead wood

We need to replace the dead wood

Matic and Fernandinho are relatively similar players.

Compare the other two midfielders today de bruyne and Silvia vs Herrera and lingard and it is clear to see why we were utterly dominated.

Even add in pogba to the mix and city's attacking pair are better. We need to replace those players so pogba isn't the only creative outlet we have no accepting a back up
You seriously think Mourinho would have played Silva and De Bruyne as central midfielders and push the whole team as high up as City do providing that many passing options at every opportunity?

notcool

Supports
a
Is he really a ball-carrier? For the third goal against Arsenal, it was Lingard who carried the ball forward before passing the ball to Pogba then getting in the box for the return. And the goals he scored at the start of the season were after Mkhitaryan brought the ball forward and played it to him to finish it off. I think Pogba is good at 1v1s (see: Koscielny and the Newcastle player he 'destroyed' before his cross for Martial) and good at using his long legs to get forward to support the counter-attack, but not a ball-carrier.

Lam

Anyone with even half the talent of Pogba will want to play regularly and not be a back-up. Given the injuries to Pogba (and suspension), Carrick, and Fellaini, Perrera would have got a lot of game time.

SaboTaj

There's not many players around like Pogba, and it's clear we miss him when he doesnt play. Any team would!

To me, we need someone similar to step in when injured/rested.

My question is, who is out there who could bring a similar game to Pogba?

Someone who has the following attributes:

Good passing range
Vision
Keeps ball under pressure

Strong
Drives with the ball

Who's out there?
Perreira fulfills all of those requirements doesn't he.

Green_Red

We already have dynamite backup in waiting, Pereira... If Jose woould just recall him and give him the minutes he deserves.

Red_toad

Seri from Nice or Koke from Atletico, however, neither of those would be happy with a bit part role. We will have to either promote from within, or find a relatively obscure name with great potential.
If we sign the right player, then they'd be part of the team, moving Pogba to a more attacking role and getting someone with a bit more defensive nous would be ideal. It's not like we have wonderful options for advanced midfield roles. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic could be that player if you follow the speculation columns.

wiz4231

We don't just need a back-up for Pogba, we need 1 for Matic as well. Can't see Carrick staying beyond this season. Fellaini and Herrera need to go. Bring in Danilo Pereira and Leon Goretzka.

MadMike

In games like this, I believe we should be playing 3 in the middle. City played with Silva and KDB around and in front of Fernandinho and they had the numerical advantage (as well as better quality).

Playing with Mata-Herrera-Matic would have been better, with Pogba in Herrera's place normally. Lingard did not do badly in the derby and we've seen how deadly he can be on the counter, but he's not great at retaining possession and recycling the ball like Mata is.

Going forward, we either need to sign another capable midfielder or give Pereira a go. Pereira did really well in the friendlies as a playmaker I think he's worth a chance. Though signing another CM if Fellaini and Carrick are on the way out might also be required.

Darkhorsez

Spot on

We don't need a back up to Pogba we need more players that gives us what Pogba does so we're not so totally fecked when he doesn't play

Lingard deserved his place in the team today of course he did but he's not a creative number 10 like an Ozil, nor is he a central midfielder and playing him was always going to leave us light in midfield unless he had a Ji Sung Park v Pirlo type game

Fact is Mata just isn't good enough and Mkhitaryan is out of favour and realistically isn't good enough either so that's where we now need to spend big

City and Pep had a head start on us/Jose with the right investment pre Pep buying the likes of De Bruyne while LVG was wasting money on the likes of Memphis but we're getting there and any other season we'd be top of the league
Agree with this - we don’t necessarily need a back up for Pogba if we could compensate with some class options for no. 10 position. So disappointed that looks like Miki won’t be able to accomplish this for us.

Walters_19_MuFc

Perreira fulfills all of those requirements doesn't he.
Ye, I guess so. I always forget about Pereira.

If we continue to play a 4231, we need two deep lying playmakers and two holding/defensive midfielders.

Deep-lying playmakers

Pogba
Pereira

Defensive midfielders

Matic
Herrera

We could probably do with recalling him from loan.

Walters_19_MuFc

In games like this, I believe we should be playing 3 in the middle. City played with Silva and KDB around and in front of Fernandinho and they had the numerical advantage (as well as better quality).

Playing with Mata-Herrera-Matic would have been better, with Pogba in Herrera's place normally. Lingard did not do badly in the derby and we've seen how deadly he can be on the counter, but he's not great at retaining possession and recycling the ball like Mata is.

Going forward, we either need to sign another capable midfielder or give Pereira a go. Pereira did really well in the friendlies as a playmaker I think he's worth a chance. Though signing another CM if Fellaini and Carrick are on the way out might also be required.
Had Pogba and Fellaini been available, I believe Mourinho would have played a 433.

MadMike

Had Pogba and Fellaini been available, I believe Mourinho would have played a 433.
He might have. Though if the problem is retaining possession of the football then I have no idea how adding Fellaini to the mix helps that. He's great at bringing down long balls and such but let's be honest his pass and move game ain't the best around. I don't see the point in playing 3 in the middle for one of them to be Fellaini who's more useful in the final 3rd like Lingard (but in a different way)

beingshe7don

Goretzka and Savic and we will have our midfield sorted for years. Goretzka can play a false NO. 10 and replace Mhiki/ Mata

Coxy

We don't need a replacement / back up for Pogba. What we need are new players for the first team.

Compare us to City. Pogba and De Gea are the only ones I'd definitely take.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yes, a player who isn't getting a game for a shocking Everton side is the answer.
Hasn't he been injured pretty much all season? Either way I'm not 100% sold on him, particularly in midfield.

I think Tielemans will be the one we end up scratching our heads over why we weren't in for in a few years time if he doesn't end up here.

Paul_Scholes18

I think we need a system and tactics that work even without world class stars like Pogba. There is really no player that can replace what he does. Vidal and the likes maybe, but still not as good as Pogba in my view.

red thru&thru

We don't need a replacement / back up for Pogba. What we need are new players for the first team.

Compare us to City. Pogba and De Gea are the only ones I'd definitely take.
Back up we have in Perreira.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
+1 for Goretzka, but not mainly as a backup, more as option to play 3 in the middle. He is too good for the bench, would be a brilliant addition.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's hardly getting a game for them. Do you really think he would say no to United if we really wanted him?

I think Griezmann is the answer to this particular question though. He'd add the sort of quality we need.
He would say no, because he's been at the club since 2001. It's the team he loves and he's grown up there. Do you think Rashford would want to play for any other team in the league just because he's on the bench for us?

Regardless, it's clear Wilshere is being eased into the starting line up. Wenger is making a good decision by not rushing him in.

leontas

Feel like Andreas Pereira could’ve done a good job in that role.

Kevinb5555

A few have mentioned Andreas Pereira and i think that is a great call. However, we should not recall him this season as his development is going well. Pereira has also shown his ability to play on the wing at Valencia which will allow us another creative player from a different position.

United Pro

He definitely is good enough for Everton. Think he’d be a good squad player for us.
He's very underrated on here, but would be a solid squad player for us. I reckon he'll go to Spurs and start playing really well and then many on here will complain why we didn't ever move for a young, English international who cost little.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Barkley is actually terrible. He has even more red flags than Lukaku had. For every good piece of play he does 10 awful things. I was actually really hoping Chelsea would sign him (as I was with Lukaku).

We need to be aiming higher - It's not just a backup for Pogba, I think Periera would have been viable for that role - We need creative options anywhere we can get them or even just someone who can drive the team forward. We wouldn't miss him nearly as much with a genuinely talented #10. Lingard is functional but nothing more and Mkhi looks like he was compromised by the aliens in Space Jam.

Ozil, Goretzka, Savic, Pjanic, Fekir - Not necessarily those individuals but we're crying out for creative players of that quality. It's not a problem isolated to any one position.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
We loaned him so he could be a substitute at Valencia, a move everybody applauded.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He isnt good enough for Everton so why should he be here?
Not true. He was considered good enough for Chelsea and Spurs as both tried to sign him. Chelsea even had medical for him.

BigTimeCharlie

We loaned him so he could be a substitute at Valencia, a move everybody applauded.
That's not how it worked at all.

Mourinho wanted to keep him but Pereira insisted on going to Valencia against Mourinho's wishes.

I don't know anybody that was happy for this move except Pereira....

Decomposing In Paris

Goretzka and Savic and we will have our midfield sorted for years. Goretzka can play a false NO. 10 and replace Mhiki/ Mata
I'll start by saying that City won with two lucky goals, that Pogba would have made a difference, and that Mourinho is doing a great job. I'm even of the belief that Lukaku's chance at the end came from one of the 2 best moves of the match... unfortunately, it hit the keeper in the face.

So is that the shopping list?
Savic (£?)
Goretzka (free)
Ozil (free)
Greizmann (€100)
+ a wingback/fullback