Bale.... or Willian

Status
Not open for further replies.

van Nistelrooy

Ronaldo cost £105m at 33. You'll be looking at considerably more for a 30 year old Ronaldo. Maybe your barometer on transfer fees is a bit wrong?
Ronaldo is one of the greatest of all time and is still going strong at 33. No one would be surprised if he kept going closer to 40.

Willian had a relatively quiet season for Chelsea and didn't do anything at the World Cup whilst in his peak years. Can't see us getting many more seasons out of him.

Greck

I mostly remember the days when Rooney would hit a long ball out to the wing and Valencia would smash in a cross and hope for the best
He floated his crosses and Rooney feasted. You're mixing up memories of his decline with what he looked like in his peak

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Peak Valencia was a great crosser. Have you already forgotten that partnership he struck up with Rooney. He didn't win POTY whacking defenders' shins. His crosses were probably among the best in the league
Not sure. He was so quick and strong that he always found himself behind the fullback, and his bests strength was his ability to look up and pick a player out. He could look up and float in the perfect ball. Now he always finds himself squared up with the full-back so when he tries to pick someone out he just smashes it against them or over-hits it. I wouldn't say he was ever a really great natural crosser who could whip balls into the right areas.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:lol::lol::lol:

A Winger that never reached double figure goals in his whole career was better at his peak than a winger that you thought never reached double figure goals but actually did it three times in the last three season.

I am very confident that one could replace Willian with Valencia and nothing would change. If Valencia had played for Chelsea and we were looking to buy him at 30 you'd be saying what you are saying about Willian for Valencia.
Valencia was immense for us in 11/12 and our star player that season. Willian has never been as good as that. Willian has been the more consistent player for sure but peak Valencia was better.

And no, I wouldn't pay that much for a 30 year old Valencia either, obviously. I would for a 25 year old Valencia.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Ronaldo is one of the greatest of all time and is still going strong at 33. No one would be surprised if he kept going closer to 40.

Willian had a relatively quiet season for Chelsea and didn't do anything at the World Cup whilst in his peak years. Can't see us getting many more seasons out of him.
By quiet you mean Chelsea Player of the Year?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Valencia was immense for us in 11/12 and our star player that season. Willian has never been as good as that. Willian has been the more consistent player for sure but peak Valencia was better.
'Peak' Valencia is a redundant term. He was nothing more than a hard working winger that would score a goal once in a while. He played because he had a consistent level and was always willing to support both the attack and defense due to his physical qualities.

All you are doing is overrating a player that was part of a title winning team for United. Willian could do the same job Valencia did for us and also do it better (hint: it's because he's already done that for Chelsea).

Well yes, that's why a 30 year old Willian is going for £60m while a 33 year old Ronaldo has gone for £105m.

Which brings me back to the point I made. You would never get Ronaldo at 30 years old for the price being quoted for Willian. You'd have to double that to have a good chance of getting him.

Messi was 30 a month ago, do you think you'll get him for £60m? Of course not.

AndyJ1985

Whenever I watch Chelsea, Willian always looked like one of their best players after Hazard. And I thought he was good for Brazil too. Our right wing would be significantly improved by his signing

Kostov

The question here need answering, is there really no better and younger RW than Willian for the 60+ million pounds needed to get the Brazilian?

Player of Bale’s quality is one thing and overpaying for such talent, but fecking Willian?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
The question here need answering, is there really no better and younger RW than Willian for the 60+ million pounds needed to get the Brazilian?

Player of Bale’s quality is one thing and overpaying for such talent, but fecking Willian?
Younger maybe. But we have Chong.

Better is the only relevant criteria you mention, and the answer is no.

RedNed77

We're not getting Bale, Willian isn't really good enough and will cost a fortune. Could we not just go for Dembele instead? I reckon Barca would take it if you offered them most of their money back. They don't need him now they have Malcom either.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We're not getting Bale, Willian isn't really good enough and will cost a fortune. Could we not just go for Dembele instead? I reckon Barca would take it if you offered them most of their money back. They don't need him now they have Malcom either.
Martial + Cash for Dembele would be great. But it's a pipe dream to get that deal done. The logistics of that basically make it impossible.

Greck

When has he ever been a good crosser? And did he suddenly lose that ability when he got older?
Yes and it was the oddest thing to see. Defenders got better at anticipating what he was going to do but that still doesn't explain how he completely lost his ability to float crosses or how he just started pointlessly smashing low crosses. Maybe it was the injury

Greck

Not sure. He was so quick and strong that he always found himself behind the fullback, and his bests strength was his ability to look up and pick a player out. He could look up and float in the perfect ball. Now he always finds himself squared up with the full-back so when he tries to pick someone out he just smashes it against them or over-hits it. I wouldn't say he was ever a really great natural crosser who could whip balls into the right areas.
He was. I'm sure a basic YouTube video could show this. I know yt videos aren't indicative of the real thing but in his case they are. Will repeat that Valencia received the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year and the Manchester United Players' Player of the Year award in 2012. Think about that for a second if you want proof. He was most definitely a lethal crosser and terrorised leftbacks that year

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yes he did.

I'm fed up with Valencia, but I'm equally fed up of people pretending he's always been shite for us, he hasn't.
You won't find a single person saying he was always shite for us. No one has said that. People have however said that peak valencia wasn't an enigma and amazing player. He was just another Park Ji Sung type of player, would die on the pitch for us and chipped in at important moments.

I guarantee that if 'peak' Valencia was playing for us now people would be complaining about his lack of goals and workmanlike profile. Because people were complaining back then as well.

Peak Nani would be far more applicable, who was much better as a winger than Valencia for about 2 seasons where he was top 5 player in the league.

RedNed77

Martial + Cash for Dembele would be great. But it's a pipe dream to get that deal done. The logistics of that basically make it impossible.
I know, but if I'm going to muppet I'd rather do it over that deal than £70m for a fossilised, inconsistant Brazilian or a certain Welshman who's never going to sign for us. It's probably more doable than either of the other two. Lets be fair, Martial would be over there like a rat up a drainpipe, so its just a case of selling the idea of Martial to Barca and United to Dembele + sorting out how much cash is appropriate.

Aloysius's Back 3

Pipe dream because Dembele is not a winger with work rate. Replacing one lack of work rate with another; especially defensive work rate. Jose simply won't be interested as his tactics are geared purely to the likes of willian or Perisic. We can only ever afford one player like that & it historically tends to be the star that cuts in from the touchline.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I know, but if I'm going to muppet I'd rather do it over that deal than £70m for a fossilised, inconsistant Brazilian or a certain Welshman who's never going to sign for us. It's probably more doable than either of the other two. Lets be fair, Martial would be over there like a rat up a drainpipe, so its just a case of selling the idea of Martial to Barca and United to Dembele + sorting out how much cash is appropriate.
Talk me through that one.

RedNed77

Talk me through that one.
Quick footed, plays in a position where they have an ageing star (Suarez). Tell Barca they can take him on loan for the season, with £50m to come off the instalments for Dembele if they like him, take the extension on his contract so we can flog him next year if he gets sent back.

Theres a very good player in there somewhere with Martial and Barca might fancy their chances of bringing it out, if we're not going to get to see it in a United shirt for whatever reason we may as well sell him on that basis.

EDIT: Thread derail, sorry.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Quick footed, plays in a position where they have an ageing star (Suarez). Tell Barca they can take him on loan for the season, with £50m to come off the instalments for Dembele if they like him, take the extension on his contract so we can flog him next year if he gets sent back.

Theres a very good player in there somewhere with Martial and Barca might fancy their chances of bringing it out, if we're not going to get to see it in a United shirt for whatever reason we may as well sell him on that basis.
How much do we pay for Dembele if they don't keep Martial after the loan?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He was. I'm sure a basic YouTube video could show this. I know yt videos aren't indicative of the real thing but in his case they are. Will repeat that Valencia received the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year and the Manchester United Players' Player of the Year award in 2012. Think about that for a second if you want proof. He was most definitely a lethal crosser and terrorised leftbacks that year
Right, he was a very effective crosser. I don't need Youtube to remember that he wasn't a natural crosser who could just whip ball after ball into the box. He never ever put it in first time. He would be brilliant at picking players out which I agree was very lethal.

Beaucoup

Whoever we get is going to get the benefit of Fred behind him, I presume he’s going to play on the right side of midfield.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Whenever I watch Chelsea, Willian always looked like one of their best players after Hazard. And I thought he was good for Brazil too. Our right wing would be significantly improved by his signing
He's an authentically pleasing footballer (which is why he's rated highly by people who mainly see us in highlights) and good at turning defense into attack on the counter but get him in the final 3rd he tends to overthink things and his brain can't catch up with his feet. He's a solid 6/7 out of 10 and rarely shifts from that level either side, that's why he tends to look great when the teams arounds him is off form and also ends up on the bench when the team is on a hot streak (Conte's first season).

He has gone from the most underrated player in our squad to the most overrated over his time here, at the start fans were too obsessed with what he couldn't do while by in large ignoring what he could, now it's gone too far the other way.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Valencia was absolutely excellent before his big injury, he was outstanding and won POTY for us one season if I remember correctly, he also made it into PFA team of the year too. Valencia's peak is better than anything Willian has ever produced, as fans of United who actually watched Valencia during this time surely people haven't forgotten how good he was?

For a few years after his injury there's no question he was close to useless but let's not rewrite the past to hype up an underwhelming signing.

:lol::lol::lol:

A Winger that never reached double figure goals in his whole career was better at his peak than a winger that you thought never reached double figure goals but actually did it three times in the last three season.

I am very confident that one could replace Willian with Valencia and nothing would change. If Valencia had played for Chelsea and we were looking to buy him at 30 you'd be saying what you are saying about Willian for Valencia.
Regarding the bit I've highlighted in bold. You're probably correct there but you're ignoring the fact that Valencia generally wasn't very good at all between ages 28-31ish his peak was short lived 24-26ish so your comparison is a bit weak.

AP88

Supports
Man City
It seems Dembele wants to leave Barca, so I’d have thought he’d have been the best solution to the right wing issue, or even Koman in a swap for Martial if the rumours Bayern wanted Tony were true, but ultimately Willian is a proven Premier League winner who’s excelled in Mourinho’s system before - it makes a lot of sense to get him now and provide the balance that’s been lacking.

beingshe7don

Valencia was absolutely excellent before his big injury, he was outstanding and won POTY for us one season if I remember correctly, he also made it into PFA team of the year too. Valencia's peak is better than anything Willian has ever produced, as fans of United who actually watched Valencia during this time surely people haven't forgotten how good he was?

For a few years after his injury there's no question he was close to useless but let's not rewrite the past to hype up an underwhelming signing.

Regarding the bit I've highlighted in bold. You're probably correct there but you're ignoring the fact that Valencia generally wasn't very good at all between ages 28-31ish his peak was short lived 24-26ish so your comparison is a bit weak.
That's because Valencia was always a one trick pony. He had pace which would get him past the defender and put in a cross. These days, Valencia seems to have developed some sort of allergy with crossing or taking on a defender. It's usually sideways or backward passes.

beingshe7don

It seems Dembele wants to leave Barca, so I’d have thought he’d have been the best solution to the right wing issue, or even Koman in a swap for Martial if the rumours Bayern wanted Tony were true, but ultimately Willian is a proven Premier League winner who’s excelled in Mourinho’s system before - it makes a lot of sense to get him now and provide the balance that’s been lacking.
I like Martial and wouldn't want him to be sold unless we get Dembele or Mbappe to replace him. With that being said, Dembele hasn't hit the heights at Barca and I"m not quite sure Mourinho would be able to nurture him although I'm a huge fan.

el3mel

I actually don't think we will get both anyway. Bale will stay and William will be sold to Barca.

Next summer we may have a chance to get Bale though, if he ends up getting injured again and don't have a season good enough to compensate for Ronaldo, I mean a 30-40 goals season, Madrid will be willing to sell this time. We may move for him. This summer he's definitely going to stay and try his luck in post Ronaldo Madrid.

Colombian Mancunian

It amazes me how people overrate DembeWho? Here. A player who only managed 8 goals in all competitions for Dortmund, Janet done a thing for Barcelona, didn’t even play 30 minutos in the WC... He is not with what Barcelona payed for him, and it would be mental to exchange him for Martial, considering Tony has more goals and assists in him.

The most overrated player since Pastore! I hope we stay clear.

maniwin

Willian actually isn't as bad as people say about him. He can play as RW and as RWB can track back and had a good cross in him as well. Bale is much more talented of course but i don't think he will leave RM now

Dorris

You won't find a single person saying he was always shite for us. No one has said that. People have however said that peak valencia wasn't an enigma and amazing player. He was just another Park Ji Sung type of player, would die on the pitch for us and chipped in at important moments.

I guarantee that if 'peak' Valencia was playing for us now people would be complaining about his lack of goals and workmanlike profile. Because people were complaining back then as well.

Peak Nani would be far more applicable, who was much better as a winger than Valencia for about 2 seasons where he was top 5 player in the league.
You've either got an atrocious memory, or didn't watch football during 11/12. The guy was unbelievable that year, and would consistently destroy the opposition left back. He wasn't just a hard worker, he'd skin his man 9 times out of 10.

At the time Pep Guardiola described him as the best winger in world football.

AlexUTD

I actually don't think we will get both anyway. Bale will stay and William will be sold to Barca.

Next summer we may have a chance to get Bale though, if he ends up getting injured again and don't have a season good enough to compensate for Ronaldo, I mean a 30-40 goals season, Madrid will be willing to sell this time. We may move for him. This summer he's definitely going to stay and try his luck in post Ronaldo Madrid.
Barcelona bought Malcom so they gave up Willian cause of price.

We have the benefit of having seen Willian. He doesn't compare to recent attacking signings like Coutinho for example. He would drown
Lets just agree to disagree, i think Willian would do well for us and you do not.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You've either got an atrocious memory, or didn't watch football during 11/12. The guy was unbelievable that year, and would consistently destroy the opposition left back. He wasn't just a hard worker, he'd skin his man 9 times out of 10.

At the time Pep Guardiola described him as the best winger in world football.
ummm...where did I say he wasn't a good player? Do you think hard working and supporting both phases of play is a bad thing? Also supporting the attack means attacking the fullback areas by the way.

'Peak' Valencia is what players like Douglas Costa and Willian are in the current game. Very good at beating their man, can move at great speed up and down the pitch, good delivery into the box, pitch in with a goal every now and then. Certainly not at the level of the premium wide attackers that can do all of that, but also be a central threat due to their playmaking and striking.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
At this point we are just desperate to have anyone that's even half competent at RW so just get Willian in already. Yeah we'll probably get 2 years max out of him yeah we'll pay through the nose for him but its clearly that or another season with no right winger at all.

Affirmation

There is an image of Willian going about on Twitter in the United kit. It's being claimed as a legit image but I doubt it would of got this far without a reliable report. I'll post it anyway for those who are curious:

United Pro

There is an image of Willian going about on Twitter in the United kit. It's being claimed as a legit image but I doubt it would of got this far without a reliable report. I'll post it anyway for those who are curious:

It's fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.