Baltimore bridge collapse

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Well you see, only white christian men are capable of doing jobs competently, so if anyone involved, and I do mean anyone, is not a WCM then obviously they only got their job via DEI and it was their fault.
Racism and misogyny. If any company involved in either the ship or the bridge has said anything about DEI, then that is now immediately connected to the culture war. If this had happened two years ago I'm sure they'd have found some way of blaming it on critical race theory.
Fecking loons

youngrell

It's a miracle so few people were on the bridge at the time of collapse, despite the time. The footage of several vehicles crossing safely as the ship approaches is incredible, those people must feel so fortunate. Still can't get over how quickly it collapses.

Carolina Red

Staff
Fox News apparently had some discussion about whether President Biden would have considered this as a disaster big enough to be woken up at night and that President Trump would have wanted to be woken up at this "national disaster".
They have their priorities right.
Funny that they think Trump would've been able to sleep with that speed cocktail he takes in him.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's a miracle so few people were on the bridge at the time of collapse, despite the time. The footage of several vehicles crossing safely as the ship approaches is incredible, those people must feel so fortunate. Still can't get over how quickly it collapses.
Monday night at 1:30am is really not a peak time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Monday night at 1:30am is really not a peak time.
Also this:

RedDevil@84

Scanner traffic records the traffic conversations before and during the accident, asking for cars to be stopped on to the bridge.

Edit: Apparently, except the working crew, no other traffic was on the bridge at the time of the accident.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Edit: Apparently, except the working crew, no other traffic was on the bridge at the time of the accident.
I’d like to understand the thinking there.

“THERE’S A MASSIVE SHIP ABOUT TO SMASH INTO THE BRIDGE!!! STOP ALL THE TRAFFIC!!! DON’T LET ANY CARS ON!! STOP ALL THE TRAFFIC! What? Oh those lads? Sure let them crack on. Wouldn’t want to interrupt. Probably doing important stuff out there…”

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I’d like to understand the thinking there.

“THERE’S A MASSIVE SHIP ABOUT TO SMASH INTO THE BRIDGE!!! STOP ALL THE TRAFFIC!!! DON’T LET ANY CARS ON!! STOP ALL THE TRAFFIC! What? Oh those lads? Sure let them crack on. Wouldn’t want to interrupt. Probably doing important stuff out there…”
Probably harder to get in touch with the guys on the bridge? It's easy to stand either side and stop traffic going on.

Even though you may know what company they work for, doesn't mean you have a direct line to them.

Kind surprised the guys working didn't just ball ASAP after feeling the collision. How long did it take from ship hitting the bridge to the collapse? Do we know?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Probably harder to get in touch with the guys on the bridge? It's easy to stand either side and stop traffic going on.

Even though you may know what company they work for, doesn't mean you have a direct line to them.

Kind surprised the guys working didn't just ball ASAP after feeling the collision. How long did it take from ship hitting the bridge to the collapse? Do we know?
3 Seconds. check the video

Precaution

I live in New Orleans where we have the largest continuous bridge over water (maybe it's second place now?) on Lake Pontchartrain and this would scare the ever living beJesus of me considering if I don't go for a piss before you go on the bridge I'm nearly half dying - 25miles without a rest stop.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I live in New Orleans where we have the largest continuous bridge over water (maybe it's second place now?) on Lake Pontchartrain and this would scare the ever living beJesus of me considering if I don't go for a piss before you go on the bridge I'm nearly half dying - 25miles without a rest stop.
And all those fecking bumps on that bridge, hellacious on a full bladder.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I've driven that. It makes you wonder why the feck anyone would even live at the end of that road. Is that really classified as a bridge though and not more of an elevated causeway of sorts?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
True, but most of that thing is like 10 feet high and the lake is pretty damn shallow in most places, right?

That being said, I have been on that thing at the very end of a long trip (used to come down from B'Ham a few timers a month for work) and you are not lying about red alert bladder time.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

RedDevil@84

Been to NOLA as a tourist and have taken the causeway just to get an idea how it feels to drive over the water for long. It was fun. But not as much as driving on the seven mile bridge to Key West.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its crazy how one pilar gets hit and everything falls apart like that. Would it be possible to design a bridge with extra "backup" pillars? So in case one gets hit (the probability of multi ships hitting them at the same time should be way lower), the bridge still stands.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Its crazy how one pilar gets hit and everything falls apart like that. Would it be possible to design a bridge with extra "backup" pillars? So in case one gets hit (the probability of multi ships hitting them at the same time should be way lower), the bridge still stands.
would that even work? The front of these big ships are very pointy so maybe it would hit the middle of the pillar before the base? Also, this is an outlier, we don't see bridges collapsing for that reason left and right

Also, what a coworker point out. Wouldn't this ships need to be towed by tug boats till they are out of risky areas like ports/bridges?