Television Band of Brothers

Sam

Just amazing. The best peice of TV I have ever seen.

If you have any interest in WW2 then I reccomend you see it. It comes as 10, 1 hour episodes and takes you right through the war with 'Easy Company', from training to VE day.

It really makes you realise just how tragic war is, and how much loss is suffered. The episode in which they discover the Concentration camp brought me to tears. Very moving stuff.

Also, I've read that a sequal (although unrelated) also written by Hanks and Spielberg is to be released in March. So look out for it.

GIT Z RED

just watched the boxset again, the concentration camp episode is very moving class acting throughout, yeah heard the new series is set in the pacific and is on sky one starts in the spring.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Sky movies.. Unfortuanetly. Wonder how many British Actors this one will have?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Just amazing. The best peice of TV I have ever seen.

If you have any interest in WW2 then I reccomend you see it. It comes as 10, 1 hour episodes and takes you right through the war with 'Easy Company', from training to VE day.

It really makes you realise just how tragic war is, and how much loss is suffered. The episode in which they discover the Concentration camp brought me to tears. Very moving stuff.

Also, I've read that a sequal (although unrelated) also written by Hanks and Spielberg is to be released in March. So look out for it.
ive seen the box set ten times and readd the book and in 2006 me and a mate trekked across europe on the same route as easy company.

Absolute heroes in my eyes , every one of them......

Sam

in 2006 me and a mate trekked across europe on the same route as easy company.
Wow, that sounds amazing. I would love the chance to experience that myself. I would imagine its quite a humbling experience?

Absolute heroes in my eyes , every one of them......
Oh absolutely. I couldnt agree more. What those men, each and every one of them, gave so that we could live our lives in freedom should never ever be forgotten. True heroes, in every sense of the word.

For me, the line that Major Richard D. Winters quotes at the end of the film says it all...'"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".

McGrathsipan

Wow, that sounds amazing. I would love the chance to experience that myself. I would imagine its quite a humbling experience?

Oh absolutely. I couldnt agree more. What those men, each and every one of them, gave so that we could live our lives in freedom should never ever be forgotten. True heroes, in every sense of the word.

For me, the line that Major Richard D. Winters quotes at the end of the film says it all...'"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".
it was a brilliant and humbling experience. From Normandy to Bershetsgaten.
And we took in paris and amsterdam and a few German cities also.

I also got a german perspective on the fire bombing raids in dresden where my aunt lives with her german husband who was a boy at the time. Horror stories

I recommend anyone to do the trip

Carentan hasnt changed much over the years and the archway and street where winters was shot is still there.....

Omaha beach is a must , the mass graves are enough to make anyone cry!

Sam

it was a brilliant and humbling experience. From Normandy to Bershetsgaten.
And we took in paris and amsterdam and a few German cities also.

I also got a german perspective on the fire bombing raids in dresden where my aunt lives with her german husband who was a boy at the time. Horror stories

I recommend anyone to do the trip

Carentan hasnt changed much over the years and the archway and street where winters was shot is still there.....

Omaha beach is a must , the mass graves are enough to make anyone cry!
That really does sound like an unbelievble and very humbling experience. I would love the oppurtunity to make that trip myself.

And getting the opinions of German people that experienced the horror would put another perspective on it, because its often forgotten that most Germans were indeed victims of the Nazi's themselves.

I think visiting Omaha beach would bring even the hardest men to tears. Such a tragic loss of life.

McGrathsipan

That really does sound like an unbelievble and very humbling experience. I would love the oppurtunity to make that trip myself.

And getting the opinions of German people that experienced the horror would put another perspective on it, because its often forgotten that most Germans were indeed victims of the Nazi's themselves.

I think visiting Omaha beach would bring even the hardest men to tears. Such a tragic loss of life.
when you look up at the cliff at point du hoc and try and imagine men scaling it on grapple hooks and ropes with thunderous gunfire and grenades aimed at them you wonder how they ever managed it.

truly a feat of human brilliance and endeavour at its best

brave brave souls

Sam

when you look up at the cliff at point du hoc and try and imagine men scaling it on grapple hooks and ropes with thunderous gunfire and grenades aimed at them you wonder how they ever managed it.

truly a feat of human brilliance and endeavour at its best

brave brave souls
You dont by any chance have any pictures or video footage of the places you visited? I would love to see them just to try and get some sort of perspective of the scale of the horror that went on on that very ground all those years ago.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's a fantastic series from start to finish. I really need to watch it again actually. Taking David Schwimmer seriously was a challenge in itself!

Sc40les

Just started watching episode 1 and 2 (for the 10th time) after seeing this thread. Thanks!

Wittmann45

It's a fantastic series from start to finish. I really need to watch it again actually. Taking David Schwimmer seriously was a challenge in itself!
Ditto...I felt that way about a few other characters as well actually

Fallon, Wahlberg (of New Kids on the Block fame FFS), Livingston (only saw him previously in Office Space), and the guy who played Sargent Martin (only had seen him in Lock, Stocked).

Alex

Can't wait for the Pacific Theatre, hopefully you Brits are just as enthused!

It's not TV, it's HBO, easily the best viewing experience of any multimedia. If I were told I could watch an equal amount of HBO v every other show and movie, I would go with HBO its shows are just that good. They are multi-volume modern day classics, in a time where we don't see stuff of this quality. The Sopranos, The Wire, Band of Brothers, Rome, etc etc we have had it good, to think that in 1997 the best thing I thought was on HBO was Real Sex hahahahaha

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Have you watched any of the extras? A number of the actual guys said that Schwimmer's performance was spot-on.

But I know what you're getting at - it does feel weird at first watching Ross go to war!

Alex

Even more so it takes a lot respecting someone who watched Friends that much to take their opinion seriously

McGrathsipan

You dont by any chance have any pictures or video footage of the places you visited? I would love to see them just to try and get some sort of perspective of the scale of the horror that went on on that very ground all those years ago.
i have pictures but the are all old style glossy type. There is a gun emplacement at one end of omaha beach and I stood where the aimer would have stood and tried to imagine a 155 mm gun there. It had the whole beach in its sights! Scary even thinking about what a shell like that can do to a human body
Utah beach is impressive also, I suggest you go , just make it happen. I am going back in the summer again

McGrathsipan

Have you watched any of the extras? A number of the actual guys said that Schwimmer's performance was spot-on.

But I know what you're getting at - it does feel weird at first watching Ross go to war!
schwimmers character captain sobel, was the real reason Easy was so good. They hated him but every sigle one of them said he was the reason they were so elite.

Schwimmer was very good in the series

Dyslexic Untied

Best thing ever made to be shown on a television. Movies, series, shows everything. Still the best.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I thought he was pretty good actually. You could just tell that he was going to fold under pressure from the first few minutes that he was on screen, it was written all over his face.

I didn't even know there was a sequel. Not sure how I managed that but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Sam

I suggest you go , just make it happen. I am going back in the summer again
I really am going to make it one of those things you put on a list as something you have to do in your lifetime.

Best thing ever made to be shown on a television. Movies, series, shows everything. Still the best.
I'd agree with this. I've not seen anything that compares.

And for what its worth, I thought Schwimmer played Captain Sobel perfectly. Got the character of the man across to the audience very well indead.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I remember at first being a bit confused by all the different names. But it's a great show.

Big Andy

Bloke
Just about to start this for the first time. Looking forward to it.

cafecillos

I watched this a long time ago and really thought it was very good, but I can't help thinking it's been getting a bit overrated in recent years. Maybe if I rewatched it now (I haven't yet) I wouldn't think that?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I watched this a long time ago and really thought it was very good, but I can't help thinking it's been getting a bit overrated in recent years. Maybe if I rewatched it now (I haven't yet) I wouldn't think that?
I try and watch it every year. Brilliant show, just absolute perfection. I always hated WW2 in school, as soon as I watched this I understood.

ShinjiNinja26

One thing it’s not is overrated. Absolutely brilliant piece of television, give it another watch and you’ll remember how good it is.

atkar83

I loved the series. I tried recently to get my wife to watch it with me but she was so bored after the first episode she would not give the 2nd episode a chance, even though thats when it finally picks up.