Barca, Real, Bilbao suing La Liga

Seems like there's always some drama in La Liga these days

The cvc deal is crazy, can't imagine how any clubs are voting to give up 11% of TV income for 50 years for some quick cash now....

Like pay day loan for football clubs!

The cvc deal is crazy, can't imagine how any clubs are voting to give up 11% of TV income for 50 years for some quick cash now....

Like pay day loan for football clubs!

It is an excellent deal in the short to medium term for most of the La Liga clubs who operate on pennies compared to the top 3. Longer term it is foolish but most of the people making the decisions here are not likely to face the consequences so they just want quick cash to eliminate COVID debt and renovate their stadiums. They are gambling that this cash injection now will lead to a better more profitable product in the future so that the money the CVC skim off the top is more than compensated for by the uptick in revenue.

How can they sue over something they aren’t involved in?

How can they sue over something they aren’t involved in?

It seems to be that they are involved in it because they're part of La Liga. They voted against it but they're still stuck with it. Or does this deal not apply to them and the deal is on a club by club basis.

It seems to be that they are involved in it because they're part of La Liga. They voted against it but they're still stuck with it. Or does this deal not apply to them and the deal is on a club by club basis.
Nope, the deal involves LaLiga, LaLiga owns the tv rights for all clubs, so it involves those 3 clubs

It's almost like years of taking the lions share of broadcasting revenue and leaving the rest of the league to fight over the scraps has forced them into this move.

It's almost like years of taking the lions share of broadcasting revenue and leaving the rest of the league to fight over the scraps has forced them into this move.

Yup, the premier league do it right with how they collectively bargain rights and even make balloon payments to championship clubs and below to keep the economy sustainable.

If I remember the deal wen through without these 3 clubs so they aren’t involved. It seems to be these clubs telling others what to do with their money

I remember years ago when the Italians stopped winning the Champions League ( Europen Cup) and they pressed for only 3 foreign players to be allowed on each team playing in the tournament. Fergie got mixed up a few times in how it worked.
These clubs should not be allowed dictate.

8.2% cut in perpetuity for all league revenues for some quick cash up front. I mean if they’re dumb enough to take this deal then I guess we see why their finances are so dire.

Well they're probably doing it as it disproportionately impacts Real and Barca.

Nope, the deal involves LaLiga, LaLiga owns the tv rights for all clubs, so it involves those 3 clubs

That's what I would have thought. If they're outvoted then I don't see what they can do.

Wait I read on sportspromedia that the 3 clubs were not part of this and their rights weren't be sold as they opted out?

EDIT, yup Real, Barca and Bilbao retain their rights in full:
The original proposal, announced in August, was worth €2.7 billion (US$3 billion), before Real, Barca and Bilbao opted out of the deal. The trio will not receive any of CVC’s funds, but will retain their full allocation of central media rights income.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news...y-investment-legal-action/?blocktaxonomy=news

Wait I read on sportspromedia that the 3 clubs were not part of this and their rights weren't be sold as they opted out?

EDIT, yup Real, Barca and Bilbao retain their rights in full:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news...y-investment-legal-action/?blocktaxonomy=news
So they're annoyed that other teams might be able to catch up with them financially? The horror, I really do feel sorry for Barca and Real. Up until now they've had to work under the same deals that everyone else gets. Sark

I mean it really is a dumb move on behalf of the other clubs. As weird as it sounds they’re protecting them from my POV.
I guess it depends on where you stand in the whole get cash now/get fecked later perspective.

having said that though, the Beebs says La Liga’ revenues are pushing into a newly formed company that CVC owns 8.2% of, so I find it impossible that the 3 of them aren’t affected by it.

Oh you're completely right, without a doubt it's a dumb move. But whether it's dumb or not, it's their choice and not Barca or Reals - who have benefited from years of advantageous broadcasting deals to the detriment of these same clubs.

It just feels like once again those two clubs (and Bilbao, although I imagine they're more pissed about it because they already have restricted their own chances of success with their recruitment policy?) are trying to bully everyone else, and it's getting a bit grating to be honest.

How would they even do that? Media rights are sold collectively. How do they unbundle 3 clubs from that?

I'm confused

The media rights value of each club is already being quantified by the amount of money they get paid out each year. They can remove their share from the pot and then cut in the investor for the remaining sum.

On a side note, Bilbao need to reboot into the 21st century on and off the pitch. First of all they should have a 8+3 Basque rule, 3 foreign players allowed. This would allow them to compete at least. They are a massive club and as much as I love their discipline and idealism, it's handicapping them. In terms of this deal, I feel they are on the right side of this as the deal isn't in the clubs favour at all but the other 17 teams seem fine with it so these 3 really have no ground unfortunately. Although, the noise this will make may make future negotiations better for all clubs.

How would they even do that? Media rights are sold collectively. How do they unbundle 3 clubs from that?

I'm confused

Some years ago Benfica tried to did it: created Benfica TV and tried to manage their own tv rights, but thing went south quickly.

On a side note, Bilbao need to reboot into the 21st century on and off the pitch. First of all they should have a 8+3 Basque rule, 3 foreign players allowed. This would allow them to compete at least. They are a massive club and as much as I love their discipline and idealism, it's handicapping them. In terms of this deal, I feel they are on the right side of this as the deal isn't in the clubs favour at all but the other 17 teams seem fine with it so these 3 really have no ground unfortunately. Although, the noise this will make may make future negotiations better for all clubs.

I thought they are allowed. They just choose not to

I thought they are allowed. They just choose not to
I mean allow it within their own rules. It's their choice but they should adjust it to become more competitive, forget ''actual foreign'' players even, even non basque Spanish players at least should be able to play for them.

Unadulterated capitalism rearing its ugly head. It's not sustainable in the long term if only a few benefit from it, however deserving.

I mean allow it within their own rules. It's their choice but they should adjust it to become more competitive, forget ''actual foreign'' players even, even non basque Spanish players at least should be able to play for them.

I dont think you can. It's like saying I'll be loyal to my wife, but allowed to cheat 3 months in a year.

These sort of things would be all or nothing

By law, audiovisual rights cannot be sold for more than three years, this is not going anywhere, and from what I understand there are better proposals.
Unfortunately, Athletic died with the Bosman law.They should do as you say or like Real Sociedad, if they have some kind of pre-established limit, but I am afraid that for political reasons and stubbornness they will not do it